Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Millem wrote: »
    My little guy now tells me when he is in the middle of his number 2! No cues for the number 1s though. Not going to start training yet but I will just introduce the concept of a potty?? No clue really on how to toilet train!!

How old is he? My little one told me the second they poo'd but wasn't ready to train for six months....tried twice. Still having poo accidents and telling me when they start but not before. No problem with peeing.

Buy a potty, leave it insight and let him follow people to the loo to watch. They will let you know when ready

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

bp wrote: »
    How old is he? My little one told me the second they poo'd but wasn't ready to train for six months....tried twice. Still having poo accidents and telling me when they start but not before. No problem with peeing.

Buy a potty, leave it insight and let him follow people to the loo to watch. They will let you know when ready

He will be two in January. My plan was just to introduce him to the idea of a potty? But leave him in nappies. I always had in my head I would toilet train next summer as I am off from end of May-end of August ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

He will be two in January. My plan was just to introduce him to the idea of a potty? But leave him in nappies. I always had in my head I would toilet train next summer as I am off from end of May-end of August ;)

Yea I think U've got the right idea there. It's very handy to do it in summer if u have the time off. My little guy was telling us he was doing a "poo poo" at 18 months and would run into the bathroom and stand by the toilet! But he still wasn't really ready when we tried to tried him at 2.5. He got the wee no problem but the poo was an awful struggle and quite stressful. And that was a year later! We got there eventually after repeated trying but he still doesn't really " like" to do it.... Everyone is different tho and ur guy might get the hang of it straight away either!

Yeah good idea. Is he interested in you guys using the toilet, that is a good step when they want to watch others go. We found it useful that her friends were using the potty.

I think every child is different. My mum tells me we were at toilet trained at 18 months....:eek: she needed her cloth nappies for the next one!.
    A girl in work told me at 3 and a half months her son was still in nappies and another girl has a boy in senior infants who wears nappies at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

My daughter is 27 months now and all I've got since she was 18 months was when will you toilet train her, when will you toilet train her. I'm not too worried at the minute but she will need to be toilet trained when she starts pre school properly next year. I've always heard that it's better to TT when the weather is warmer. My daughter hated having the nappy on in summer when she was wearing lighter clothes but now she doesn't want to take her nappy off at all. I'm going to start TT around May next year, be ideal time for you too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Toilet training can be done in a day if the child is ready. If it's stressful the child isn't ready and you could give them a fear of the potty and pooing etc. Im not going to set a time limit on my child for it. If he's ready at 2 he's ready, if he's 3.5 that's fine too.

My daughter is 27 months now and all I've got since she was 18 months was when will you toilet train her, when will you toilet train her. I'm not too worried at the minute but she will need to be toilet trained when she starts pre school properly next year. I've always heard that it's better to TT when the weather is warmer. My daughter hated having the nappy on in summer when she was wearing lighter clothes but now she doesn't want to take her nappy off at all. I'm going to start TT around May next year, be ideal time for you too :)

I forgot Easter is so early this year, I will be off for around 3 weeks at Easter/St Patrick's day so depending on how he is I may try then? If not I will do it when I am off for 3 months. I don't want to be in a rush and want to have the time off ;)
    At the check up phn said to wait to TT when they are 3.

Just to clarify I am not TT now

I would've left my guy a few more months but I had to have him trained for his Montessori. So in that respect we didn't really have a choice. I'm delighted it all done now tho :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Toilet training can be done in a day if the child is ready. If it's stressful the child isn't ready and you could give them a fear of the potty and pooing etc. Im not going to set a time limit on my child for it. If he's ready at 2 he's ready, if he's 3.5 that's fine too.

Totally agree. My MIL pushed and pushed for L to be tt-ed way too early. She even put him (forced) on the potty when we weren't around. I'm convinced that is part of the reason he had chronic, painful constipation for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I trained my daughter when she was 2.5, she had the hang of it in two days and has only ever had a handful of accidents. I knew she was ready and we used to 'practice' for months before every time she was having a bath we'd sit her on the toilet and praise her for sitting even if she didn't go. As the time went on she'd more often than not go when she sat on it. It meant she was used to the toilet as opposed to a potty so when we trained her we did it straight on the toilet with no issues if we were out or at someone else house etc, and no transition up to a toilet after time then.

In saying that my 2.5 year old boy is nowhere near ready to be trained yet, and has a fit if we try to sit him on the toilet before a bath! All kids are so different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

sillysocks wrote: »
    I trained my daughter when she was 2.5, she had the hang of it in two days and has only ever had a handful of accidents. I knew she was ready and we used to 'practice' for months before every time she was having a bath we'd sit her on the toilet and praise her for sitting even if she didn't go. As the time went on she'd more often than not go when she sat on it. It meant she was used to the toilet as opposed to a potty so when we trained her we did it straight on the toilet with no issues if we were out or at someone else house etc, and no transition up to a toilet after time then.

I can't remember what age my youngest sister was when we trained her - I think around 2.5-3 - but I do remember we were trying for ages with a potty, with no success. She hated it, and it was a battle every time. (She was the youngest of seven, so my parents certainly weren't lacking in experience!) She knew and told us when she needed to go, but would cry and hold it in when she saw the potty.

Then one day we were out at a water park and she told me she needed to go. And we'd totally forgotten to bring her potty! So I brought her to the loos and sat her up on the big toilet. And she was grand, no epic meltdown like I expected, which was the norm when she used the potty. And from then on, she used toilets each and every time, with no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Poor S is getting all confused. He's having a sudden rush of big holidays, with his holiday (where he broke his leg on the first day), Halloween, his birthday, my birthday (which he's very excited about:confused:) and Christmas. He asked me yesterday if we could do Halloween again and when I explained that Halloween was over until next year, he lay down on the couch all sad and said, "oh no, not again, everything ends before I'm better." (He was gutted when he got home from holidays last month and realised he hadn't gotten to do any of the things he was looking forward to because of breaking his leg and Halloween was a bit of a bust as he couldn't do a lot of the activities we'd planned and we had to push him about in the buggy for trick or treating.

I've been focussing on his birthday on Tuesday as we're having a party at home tomorrow and going to Disney on Ice next weekend with my husband's family, so he can still enjoy that in the cast. But with all the Christmas stuff in shops and ads on tv he thinks Santa will be bringing his Batcave for his birthday and he actually cried when I explained that Santa wouldn't be coming for a while yet. I know he'll be more than happy with his birthday presents but I feel so bad for him missing out on so much he was looking forward to (and 3 birthday parties in play centres) and then being disappointed because he mixed up Christmas and his birthday.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Definitely every child is different we toilet trained our son at 18 months because he was telling us he was doing it and he took to it no problem at all .

On a rant , oh 10 month old why oh why can you nap for 2 hours when your with nanny and I'm at work but come my day off your up at 6 and refusing to nap and in a cranky fluey mood 😭

Also any tips for heart burn ? I am killed with it the past few days, but only at night time

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Definitely every child is different we toilet trained our son at 18 months because he was telling us he was doing it and he took to it no problem at all .

On a rant , oh 10 month old why oh why can you nap for 2 hours when your with nanny and I'm at work but come my day off your up at 6 and refusing to nap and in a cranky fluey mood 😭

Also any tips for heart burn ? I am killed with it the past few days, but only at night time

Tips for heartburn at night... Don't eat too much late at night. And if you can have an early light dinner. Lots of gaviscon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ah poor S iguana... My 3 year old was very excited Bout my birthday too until she realised you don't have a party when your older :) I really hope he feels better soon... Has he much longer left in the cast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

cyning wrote: »
    Ah poor S iguana... My 3 year old was very excited Bout my birthday too until she realised you don't have a party when your older :) I really hope he feels better soon... Has he much longer left in the cast?

He's halfway there so nearly 3 more weeks.:( He's started asking me to kiss his leg at least once a day, then telling me my kiss made it all better so I can take the cast off. Last year on my birthday we went to the Lidl Christmas market where he had 4 rides on the merry-go-round, after that we went out for dinner, then back to my parents house for cake where my dad, the car boot sale junkie, had bought him a sack full of Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine vehicles. S is so excited about my birthday that I'm starting to suspect he remembers all of that.:rolleyes:

Lashes have you tried milk, peppermint tea or peppermint extra chewing gum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I've just tried the gaviscon so far. I'm only six months so still a long way to go so I need all the tricks under my belt to cope!! Loosing sleep to heart burn to get up with a ten month old is not how I wanna start my day lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I've just tried the gaviscon so far. I'm only six months so still a long way to go so I need all the tricks under my belt to cope!! Loosing sleep to heart burn to get up with a ten month old is not how I wanna start my day lol

I had it from 8 weeks on my second, I used to literally drink bottles of gavisvon, it meant I couldn't eat that much at all as everything caused it. I feel your pain. I believe the doc can prescribe something stronger which wouldn't be any harm. I know people say don't eat late, don't eat spicy etc but I used to wake up with it, it was constant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had it from 8 weeks on my second, I used to literally drink bottles of gavisvon, it meant I couldn't eat that much at all as everything caused it. I feel your pain. I believe the doc can prescribe something stronger which wouldn't be any harm. I know people say don't eat late, don't eat spicy etc but I used to wake up with it, it was constant

I had it instantly from the start, horrendous by about 16 weeks. On Zantac twice a day with gaviscon until about 30 weeks when I was put on stronger stuff by the Combe, Lanzol or something like that. Explain clearly to the doc exactly how bad it is

Does anyone have a "sling bookcase" for their little ones? I am a bit OTT about sleeves so trying to think of storage for books...at the mo we have them in one of those storage boxes that are a seat. Also does anyone know where I can get a toddler armchair/sofa that is covered in vinyl fabric? Like the ones in Panda Play (they are from wescos but very dear!!)

Does anyone have a "sling bookcase" for their little ones? I am a bit OTT about sleeves so trying to think of storage for books...at the mo we have them in one of those storage boxes that are a seat. Also does anyone know where I can get a toddler armchair/sofa that is covered in vinyl fabric? Like the ones in Panda Play (they are from wescos but very dear!!)

I saw this idea on a Facebook page today, don't know if it's any good to you!

Thanks diamond doll they look class! Girls drastic times call for drastic measures I need to get my ass to slimming world. I am heavier now than when I was preggers :eek: gosh it's a slippery slope! has anyone gone before? I can't use the excuse "I have just had a baby" as he is nearly 2!!!!

Thanks diamond doll they look class! Girls drastic times call for drastic measures I need to get my ass to slimming world. I am heavier now than when I was preggers :eek: gosh it's a slippery slope! has anyone gone before? I can't use the excuse "I have just had a baby" as he is nearly 2!!!!

I know that feeling, I was back to pre-birth weight within a week of the birth, but have piled it on since ... did not expect that! :( I've tried WW and SW, SW is much better for an easy-to-follow plan (less counting) and for general confidence boosts etc in the meetings. I feel I got a lot more out of it, more motivational etc, and more measurable progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I highly recommend it. Its not a diet it's just healthy food choices and worth the effort. I've a girl who is two in January and I'm long back in pre baby clothes thanks to slimming world. The thread on Slimming world in Nutrition and Diet on boards is excellent. There are lots of very knowledgeable and supportive people to help. Any questions feel free to pm me

I know that feeling, I was back to pre-birth weight within a week of the birth, but have piled it on since ... did not expect that! :( I've tried WW and SW, SW is much better for an easy-to-follow plan (less counting) and for general confidence boosts etc in the meetings. I feel I got a lot more out of it, more motivational etc, and more measurable progress.

I am the same! I have gone from a size 10 to a 14 :( I swear I was contemplating "new you plan" or "nupo" (those shakes) to kick start myself but don't think I have the will power!!!! Do you ever bring your little guy with you for weigh ins? I would love to be nearly back to my old weight by Xmas. Body shape has completely changed since having a baby :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I did SW after I had my son 3.5yrs ago & lost 2.5st fairly easily. I stayed in SW until I was 8 months pregnant on my latest baby (7 months old) & have stuck (mostly) to the 'rules' since she was born.
    I still have a stone to lose but I think that's more down to it being harder to get the exercise in now with 2 kids.

I am the same! I have gone from a size 10 to a 14 :( I swear I was contemplating "new you plan" or "nupo" (those shakes) to kick start myself but don't think I have the will power!!!! Do you ever bring your little guy with you for weigh ins? I would love to be nearly back to my old weight by Xmas. Body shape has completely changed since having a baby :(

I was doing it but amn't any more - but no problem in bringing babies/toddlers along in the group I was attending, might be worth checking in advance though. :) It's very easy to stick to, and you can buy 5/10 meetings in advance at a bit of a discount!

• Advertisement

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I did SW after I had my son 3.5yrs ago & lost 2.5st fairly easily. I stayed in SW until I was 8 months pregnant on my latest baby (7 months old) & have stuck (mostly) to the 'rules' since she was born.
    I still have a stone to lose but I think that's more down to it being harder to get the exercise in now with 2 kids.

Fair play to you ms2011. I would love to lose 2.5stone. I would be a skinny minnie!!! I think 1/1.5 stone would do me!!I also don't smoke anymore which I guess has contributed to weight gain :(

I lost my baby weight really quick but once I stopped breastfeeding I piled the weight on. I did WW last year and lost 2.5 stone. I found it great. It's made me worry less about how I'll lose the weight after this baby is born!

I lost my baby weight really quick but once I stopped breastfeeding I liked the weight on. I did WW last year and lost 2.5 stone. I found it great. It's made me worry less about how I'll lose the weight after this baby is born!

Fair play to you! I am actually excited to start. I am on a slippery slope and have a serious addiction to white bread lol lol I think they are making clothes bigger though as I have never been this big before but still fit into size 12 zara/next....which gave me false sense of reality!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I thought I was doing brilliantly losing a shed load after I had my little girl but it just turned out that my underactive thyroid had gone a bit bonkers so the medication I was taking was too strong and making my metabolism go into overdrive :o I casually asked the doctor what would haopen if I was to keep taking the stronger dose for another while and I got a stern warning that thyroid pills are NOT diet pills :pac: Frightened of my life that I'll pile it back on once I finish breastfeeding.

Anyone ever been to the National Leprechaun Museum? Any good ...? And more importantly, would you say it's suitable for an almost two-year-old?

Open to any other suggestions for things to do in Dublin this rainy weekend!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone ever been to the National Leprechaun Museum? Any good ...? And more importantly, would you say it's suitable for an almost two-year-old?

Open to any other suggestions for things to do in Dublin this rainy weekend!

Its very artistic and hands-on- and definitely suitable for younger kids (and the way its structured- its suitable for pretty much any age group). The wooden Giants Causeway- was my favourite part- but my (admittedly American) cousins really enjoyed all the exhibits on leprachauns in film. There is an optical illusion display- which kids love- and there is also a room where all the furniture is outsized- to give you the perspective of being a dwarf or leprachaun- and how they'd feel in our world. There is a lot more in there- than you'd imagine- and its all quite hands-on- which really suits a younger age group.

Its very tongue-in-cheek- and not trying to be 'Oirish'- it is really quite enjoyable.

Have fun.

Note- if at all possible- don't drive in- parking in Jervis is a sure fire way to raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels.

• Advertisement

Great thank you, sounds like a plan! :) And yes, planning on public transport alright!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we have these, 3 euro each in IKEA

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Just wondering does anyone have an idea of wait times in crumlin for gen paeds clinics? I know they won't be able to tell me until the letter is triaged as urgent or routine but just wondering if anyone has recently received an appointment or notification of wait times? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Guys, I need your help desperately! We moved house a fortnight ago and at the same time, we moved our 2yr8month old into a little toddler bed. Nightmare! He has taken to getting up around 4:45/5 and coming into us but there is no hope of him going back to sleep. We've tried to resettle him in his own bed but within 2 minutes he's out again. Anyone got any tips? We're both just exhausted :(

yellow hen wrote: »
    Guys, I need your help desperately! We moved house a fortnight ago and at the same time, we moved our 2yr8month old into a little toddler bed. Nightmare! He has taken to getting up around 4:45/5 and coming into us but there is no hope of him going back to sleep. We've tried to resettle him in his own bed but within 2 minutes he's out again. Anyone got any tips? We're both just exhausted :(

Maybe stairgate on his bedroom door? That way when he gets up, you can go and resettle him in his bed - before he comes into your bedroom and gets cosy in yours!

Gro-clocks are meant to work very well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

As already suggested a gro clock might be worth a try. I bought one for my daughter, but it didn't work with her :( so I passed it on to my sister for her little boy and it works brilliantly! He refuses to leave his room until the sun comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I'm posting this hear as a mother but will also be posting this as a human being on personal problems.

What do you do when you're being bullied? Do you stand up for yourself, knowing the bully will come back with another retort, or just ognore it? My ex is bullying me through text, demeaning how I parent our child, and blaming me for so many things that I don't want to go into here.. I I reply, he's getting a rise out of me and I know what his response will be like.. I can ignore it a lot but every know and again he says something and I just have to stand up for myself but I regret it because he comes back with something worse.. What do I do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The gro clock has worked for us. We got it for our son so he knew he couldn't get out of bed until the sun came up. If he got out we'd bring him back and explain the rule. We kind of stopped using it around a year and a half ago but in August we started again. Our daughter had a habit of waking at 5 am and screaming the place down. I noticed as the mornings got darker that she was sleeping a bit longer so now we have a rule about no noise at the weekends until the sun comes up at 7am.

My son is a very compliant, rule abiding child and my daughter is the complete opposite. I stuck it out for a few weeks and now I have two kids who won't make a sound at the weekends until 7am.

It's a very simple message and it will work on even the most wilful child (my daughter!) if you stick with it and follow through on it.

So my almost three year old follows me to the bathroom naturally and is asking about menstruation etc when they see it....any suggestions on age approiate information.

I say ladies sometimes wear special nappies and mammy has eggs to make a baby and if a baby isn't made then she bleeds.....what have others said. Don't want to scare the child!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't let him in to the loo when I'm on. I'm able to distract him with a cartoon on the tablet and he wont go anywhere while I go in to sort myself out.

Neyite wrote: »
    I don't let him in to the loo when I'm on. I'm able to distract him with a cartoon on the tablet and he wont go anywhere while I go in to sort myself out.
    Me too. I don't mind him asking about peeing etc but I'm not ready for period questions yet!
    (Problem is resolved for the moment as I'm pregnant).
    He does like asking why I don't have a kiki (French for willy) and daddy does...

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yeah, its not that I'm being prudish, but wees and poos he can relate to - everyone does them and so does he. I use a mooncup though so discreet & quick changeover like you would have with a tampon doesn't happen.

Yeah tampons would be more awkward alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

bp wrote: »
    Yeah tampons would be more awkward alright

That's a good question. Mine have never seen mine before but I know it would be a minefield if they did! Every question leads to another question lol let me know if you get any good advice so I can stick it in the handbook for later use lol

Just obsessed with "ladies special nappies"....keeping it simple.

I think as my parents never discussed it with me leading to embarrassment etc I want the opposite here but age appropriate

• Advertisement
Advertisement