Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

lol.... my niece was helping change my 2 year olds nappy a while ago (a particularly nasty one!) and she was saying ''bad bad bum bum!!'' to him over and over; of course he thought this was hilarious. Cue him calling any sort of nappy/poo related thing a ''bad bad bum bum''..... including when he found a pack of always and paraded them around the sitting room shouting ''bad bad bum bum!''!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I love when there is a fable that fits certain situations so I don't have to question my parenting advice lol my son told me that a boy called him slow in P.E the other day! The hare and the tortoise...job done lol after I finished the story he said "I love you mammy. I hope you dont get murdered...night night" pmsl they really are the best sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Any thoughts on Imaginosity for an almost-two-year-old? Worth it, or is he too young to appreciate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Any thoughts on Imaginosity for an almost-two-year-old? Worth it, or is he too young to appreciate it?

Brought my guy when he was just gone 2 & he loved it, was hard to get him to leave :)

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Brought my guy when he was just gone 2 & he loved it, was hard to get him to leave :)

My little one wasnt even one and had a ball! Great age range! My older son had a ball too! One of those places where I can keep both happy despite the age gap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Useful article about women and pensions, including stuff on maternity leave and homemakers. I was going to send it on to my mum when I realised it applies to me to, I dont realise how old I am and I've no clue about this stuff!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/six-things-every-woman-needs-to-know-about-the-state-pension-1.2448981

My little one wasnt even one and had a ball! Great age range! My older son had a ball too! One of those places where I can keep both happy despite the age gap!

Thanks guys, we went today and he had the absolute time of his life, I've never seen him so happy and excited! Absolutely amazing place, I wasn't sure what to expect but he loved it, he could have spent the whole day there if we'd let him. Would definitely recommend it for anyone with a child that age, or of any age really! I can't wait to go back ... it's pricey, but such a brilliant experience. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I've just read somewhere that toddlers shouldn't wear their coats when they are in their car seats. Is there any reason for this other than the risk of overheating? I drive a van type thing that takes ages to heat up and most of our journeys are short (the van is rarely heated up by the time we get to our destination) so I usually leave the kids jackets on :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I've just read somewhere that toddlers shouldn't wear their coats when they are in their car seats. Is there any reason for this other than the risk of overheating? I drive a van type thing that takes ages to heat up and most of our journeys are short (the van is rarely heated up by the time we get to our destination) so I usually leave the kids jackets on

I think its more to do with safety, especially if the jackets are the bulky padded type. The straps on the car seat are not tight enough in event of an accident as they'd compressed the padding of the jacket but that would leave more room for baby to move before being restrained by the strap if you get me. I probably don't have that worded right!
    I know people leave jacket off, put child in seat and then put the jacket on kind of back to front over the straps to keep the child warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Yep as a aine said its to do with bulk, all the air gets pushed out of the clothes in an accident and kids can go flying out of the restraints. Very scary! There shouldn't really be anything bulkier than a fleece or cardigan on your child in the car. You can use blankets and even a hot water bottle to heat up the seat beforehand maybe?

You can also do a test where you put the child in the seat with coat on and tighten straps as usual. Then without lengthening the straps, open them, take coat off, put child back in and buckle. The straps are usually quite loose, and shows what use they'd be in an accident.

Oh crap :( I only looked it up in the first place because I noticed that my little boy can slip out of the shoulder strap on one side when he has his new coat on :eek: Ok definitely no more coats in the car so. We were using blankets but my little boy always throws his off. I suppose he's just going to have to put up with it or end up cold.

Also check the straps are in the correct position, depending on the seat they may need to be coming from below his shoulders or above. Can make a big difference in a crash also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Why do babies insist on saying dadada before mamama.....we carry them, deliver them, feed them and we get second fiddle! I am changing the meaning of the word :)

bp wrote: »
    Why do babies insist on saying dadada before mamama.....we carry them, deliver them, feed them and we get second fiddle! I am changing the meaning of the word :)

That's exactly why! They are so bored with us at that stage! Daddy is exciting because he isn't with them as much lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I hear you! My 2 year old only startrd calling me mamma now! Since he was 9 months he has been saying dada for both mammy and daddy. I thought this day would never come!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I remember in the first year of my son's life, I wasn't working and I was looking after him all day. He'd never say mama but the minute he'd hear daddy opening the door in the evening, he'd nearly jump out of his skin with excitement to see him! I remember that stinging a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Be careful what you wish for, my 3.5 yr old calls my name non stop during the day, some days I feel like pulling my hair out :pac:

At least the baby loves me most :) daddy is grand when mammy isn't around!!

Yeah the almost three year drives me nuts, has to know where I am every second!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Guys for those of you with two smallies, what sort of double buggy do you use? My son will be just 3 when new baby arrives but he's hyper and there's no chance he'd stand still on a buggy board so I'm going to keep my single buggy but buy a second hand double also. I was going to buy out n about nipper. Any opinions? What size boot would I need? At the moment have a hatchback focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Be careful what you wish for, my 3.5 yr old calls my name non stop during the day, some days I feel like pulling my hair out :pac:

I've a 23 month old and my head is wrecked with mama. Even when she's sitting on my knee reading her a book.
    But then Daddy appears and it's Dada and I don't get a look in!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Same here. 11month old shouts mam man man all day and for everyone. It can get fairly annoying when she's having a bad day!!

My boy loves stroking my face and saying "Mam" repeatedly with the biggest happiest smile on his face.

I only have him with me part-time at the moment, he spends most of his time at his dad's parents' house. So I don't think it's something I'll ever get tired of. :)

yellow hen wrote: »
    Guys for those of you with two smallies, what sort of double buggy do you use? My son will be just 3 when new baby arrives but he's hyper and there's no chance he'd stand still on a buggy board so I'm going to keep my single buggy but buy a second hand double also. I was going to buy out n about nipper. Any opinions? What size boot would I need? At the moment have a hatchback focus.

Congrats yellow hen :-)

I have the city select which I love, but now that baby is 8 months I am finding it very heavy with the 2. My eldest is the same age as yours but big for their age. The small one goes in the front and is great with just one in it

yellow hen wrote: »

I have the icandy peach double but my childminder has a Phil and teds and I'm raging I didn't get that! Might get one for the new baby lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Phil and teds may not work well with this age gap, the set up changes for each age and I found that I moved the baby to the proper seat earlier than 6 months as she was squashed under the toddler seat. She was fine to move earlier, but if you had a long baby who needed to move even sooner it could be a problem.

Having said that I loved the Phil and teds, comes apart so easily for storage and was so lightweight. Sold mine a few months back and now using a quinny buzz I had with the first and while it's great, it's heavier and bigger when folded

We have the baby jogger city mini double and it's nice and light. It's easy enough to fold up too and compact to store :)

We have the baby jogger city mini double and it's nice and light. It's easy enough to fold up too and compact to store :)

I really like that one too but if I buy another buggy I may be divorced soon lol

Random stupid question on my first child. I've a girl who's two in January. She's obviously still in nappies and wears vests with the popper fastening. On mild winter days she wears a long sleeved vest and long sleeved top. She always takes off any zipy i put on her. What do people use when they are no longer in nappies and using the popper fastening vests? Do people use a tshirt or vests underneath? I don't see children's vests in many shops for bigger sizes that's why I'm wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I winter S normally wears an extra long sleeved t-shirt under whatever he is wearing. Very occasionally, like if we are going to an outdoor winter event, I'll still put him in a poppered vest as they don't ride up and expose his back. I put jockey short style underwear on him on those occasions, so he is protected from the poppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Mine went into proper vests from 18 months on, hated hassle of poppers! I get mine in Dunnes, sizing is good and they wash well. They sell them up to age 8

Penneys/tesco are a good second.

• Advertisement

Yeah my guy hasn't been in peppered vests since he stopped wearing baby grows before a year old. He wears a t shirt, jumper and puffy coat when going outside. Coat goes past his bum so no cold gaps. He's always warm though.

I much prefer the poppered vests myself - otherwise when we're at play centres etc, his Tshirts etc tend to ride up his back a bit. He's almost two though so won't be in them much longer. I reckon I'll keep using them (as long as I can get ones that fit) until we start toilet training, then switch to either normal vests, or a long-sleeved Tshirt under a short-sleeved one, I don't think a third layer is usually necessary. He'd usually be wearing a hoodie over the Tshirts, and a warm jacket too in winter, so no danger of him freezing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I buy thermal short sleeve and long sleeve vests. If it's cold out I use the long sleeve ones on colder days. Up to the summer I was using the popper vests on my daughter but it's difficult to buy 2-3 and I plan to toilet train her this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I love the popper vests. Next 2-3years are the biggest fitting I have come across. Other than that he is in a 3-4 years m and s boys vest (looks like a muscle vest)!

Thanks. I'm the same as one or two posters. I love the popper vests and will use them until I potty train. I asked the question thinking about the sales and clothes for next winter as the vests she's currently wearing are Dunnes final reductions!! Thanks all. I'll stick with a long sleeved top under another top next winter. Perhaps naively I hope to potty train during the summer when she's 2.5. Maybe that's a crazy thought!! I just thinking the washing will be easier with just a dress on!!!

Actually considering that's 7/8 months away it does seem very optimistic!!!

Ticking clock I found dunnes vests tiny, then penneys, then tesco. Next are huge :) don't know about m And s popper vests in terms of size!
    Next time the €15 vouchers are out buy a load of their vests, they are my favourites!

I don't buy dunnes or penny's for any child over 1, they are too small, shrink and just don't last well.

Next, mothercare and m&s while more expensive last and wash well and are bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm a huge fan of tesco for popper vests. Third of the price of m&s (which are my second favourite) and they last forever. I found the sizing perfect. I bought some for my son in 2012/2013 and other kids used them after him and then my daughter used them and I passed them on. Still perfect shape and condition.

We don't usually use vests in summer but I love the long sleeved ones in winter. We get the popper ones from tesco or frome george @ asda, they fit generously and are very reasonable :) Hard to get the age 2-3 in store though so I just order online.

• Advertisement

Little rant in here ,twice today I had people who I vaguely know,oh your pregnant again,what will the age gap be??
    13 months I reply
    Oh my sisters friends cousins mother had them close like that and had a breakdown/ split up with partner/was exhausted etc etc
    Seriously I do not need to hear that,why would you feel the need to tell me that???

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Little rant in here ,twice today I had people who I vaguely know,oh your pregnant again,what will the age gap be??
    13 months I reply
    Oh my sisters friends cousins mother had them close like that and had a breakdown/ split up with partner/was exhausted etc etc
    Seriously I do not need to hear that,why would you feel the need to tell me that???

Lashes some people have no filter!!!!!!

You will find someone with a horror story no matter how big or small the gap! I kept being asked was it twins....no I am just fat now let me eat my lard :)

Joking aside congratulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

13 months I reply

Some people think they can say anything to pregnant women! That did drive me nuts.

For the record, I know someone who had her first two that close, then another two after, and she is still alive and happy and with the daddy and all is good! So it can work out too :)

13 months I reply

If it helps I got the same but it just got meso pumped up for no sleep that when she arrived I was like is that it? It was actually easier the 2nd time! I remember sitting with my feet up eating a cake watching home and away the day after I got home from hospital thinking this can't be right lol your body clock has already adjusted to motherhood and sleepless nights that 2 is very little difference to 1 when you have the small gap!

With my 3rd on the way now I'm getting the same stuff. Three is a game changer yada yada I'm just laughing it off this time!

Lashes I had a 12 month age gap and honestly, you'd swear it had never before happened in the history of mankind with some people's reactions! Even though the midwives told me it's more common than you would think.

Prepare yourself for when the baby is born and every second person who looks into the pram says 'Irish twins' or something to that effect :rolleyes:

Eta: Also, I can vouch that I actually found it easier the second time around than with my first, which was a total lifestyle shock. And my OH is still alive (just about!) and we haven't broken up :D

• Advertisement

That's the gas part,oh Irish twins. I thought Irish twins were 9months apart??? If so I am not even having Irish twins .It's the reactions .Like they have never heard such a crazy unbelievable thing. The are ye mad comments. And then people wonder why I wear huge scarves to work so I can cover up.

Lol and can totally relate to the oh threes a changer comments too I've had plenty of them! Unless my 10 year old is gonna revert back and start needing night feeds and nappy changes aswell as the others I think I can manage three!!

Irish twins are siblings born within 1 year of each other :)

Me and my sister are 14 mths apart. My mum said it was hard having 2 non walkers at the same time, and also double buggies were crap then and always side by side so she couldn't get through any shop doors!

She also thought we'd be the best of friends, but we are like chalk and cheese and never really got along!

I think there are stuggles moving from 1 to 2 no matter what the age gap! My guy will be 2.5 and he's a lunatic! Not sure if he'll stay on a buggy board or if I need to invest in a double buggy! Don't relaly want to spend any money this time round lol!

I think originally, it was 2 babies born within 12 months of each other or less but people just use it as a sweeping statement now and anything less than an 18 month gap seems to be considered irish twins. Believe me, you will be sick of hearing it :pac: I got so tired of people saying 'twins?' (when they obviously weren't) and 'irish twins?' that I started answering 'no, just a lack of self control' and running off before they had a chance to think about it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Slightly bigger age gap between my two. 15 months. Also always get called Irish twins. It's tiring yes... But me and hubby are both still alive and both together. We were planning a 3rd 8 months ago.... But I got a promotion and decided to have a bit of a life. Lol lol. So maybe next year :). As Millem said... People just have no filter. First baby was conceived between the time myself and OH got engaged and married. I remember an auld guy in work asking me was the pregnancy planned!!!! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sure look, you have the first and people keep telling you 'it's all ahead of you'(HATE that phrase, it's patronising, the person saying it clearly managed to survive, and people have been having kids for centuries)...ours will be 21 months apart and I'm sure we'll survive that too.As for three?Stupid comment about game changers, should have said that back around no.1 some time.
    Some people....

• Advertisement
Advertisement