Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Yes yes and most definitely yes to everything on the above :)

'Mine' is the word du jour every day recently from our little lady! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My sister in law banned anyone who visited from saying 'mine' or 'no' so her kids wouldn't use it and the mad thing is, it worked!! Of course we thought she was mad. I'm finally coping a bit better with the 2 babies when i'm on my own in the house. I've baby proofed down stairs so the 18 month old can wonder while im feeding little man. He is sticking to feeding about every 2hrs which i can handle. Now if i could just get him to stop screaming in the car, we'd be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My 2 year old used to scream in the car too.. it used to drive me mad ..:eek: this is why i put him in the front where he could see me.. I know there's a lot of debate about babies in front seats but when they're screaming for the entire journey it's so distracting.. then i discovered when he was about 3 months that he had reflux and when we sorted that he was good as gold.. he LOVES going in the car now. I used to think it was because he knew he wouldn't get any attention while he was in the car . . :eek::rolleyes: i'm such a dope sometimes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hope everyone is doing well.

Since I had my rubella vaccine/started Cerazette, the baby is so cranky. He cries a lot during the day, and the only thing that calms him down is the breast, or a drive in the car (luckily he still sleeps well at night, but I can literally get nothing done during the day). I'm also worried that I'm producing much less milk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IvyTheTerrible if he's sleeping well at night then he's probably getting enough. Porridge oats and fennel are supposed to be good for milk supply if you're worried although if he's feeding frequently then he's increasing your supply himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

does teething make the little ones more tired?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

does teething make the little ones more tired?

More tired, more cranky, dribble like crazy, rosy cheeks, possible temperature, if they're not dribbling like crazy- possibly vomiting.

Putting or not putting hands in mouth- does not necessarily indicate teething however.

smccarrick wrote: »
    More tired, more cranky, dribble like crazy, rosy cheeks

yep got all of these!!!:rolleyes: and also have the eating hands and when that doesnt help she gives out to her hands and cries!:( poor thing. the teething gel def helps tho! and at least shes sleeping a bit during the day;)

Have you tried Calgel? We swear by it here- its gotten us out of so much pain with our little ones!

my guy puts his hands in his mouth when he has wind...?

my girl pukes when she's teething, took me ages to work these out.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    my guy puts his hands in his mouth when he has wind...?

my girl pukes when she's teething, took me ages to work these out.

yeh it really is all about paying attention to them and read what signs they are giving you. its hard but great!! its horrible when they are in pain.:(

i love my little baby. she put her hand inside my top while falling asleep after being upset with her sore gums. so cute. and when i put her to bed she got upset again so i put my head touching her head and she calmed down. it would melt your heart. :)

also i might look into the calgel thanks!!

IvyTheTerrible if he's sleeping well at night then he's probably getting enough. Porridge oats and fennel are supposed to be good for milk supply if you're worried although if he's feeding frequently then he's increasing your supply himself.

Thanks for that. Well he seems to be in better form the last two days...I think he doesn't like a change of scenery (we spent a week with the in laws, and he was sleeping in a different bed, the house smells of wood smoke etc). Once he had spent a night back in our place, he has been in great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

BCG today ... Poor pet ...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well, you're lucky you are getting the BCG - in Galway we don't, for some idiotic reason...(according to my GP and the hospital), even though it clearly says in alll the HSE literature that all infants get the BCG...:mad::mad::mad::confused:

teething here as well - rough day yesterday, not even calpol helped...poor mite! E seems to throw up AND poo more when he's teething - great craic...

No bcg? In the hospital or the health board?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No bcg? In the hospital or the health board?

It was in the Irish Medical Journal last month I think- there are almost 12000 children nationwide who haven't been scheduled for their BCG vaccinations yet. The worst places are Galway and Cork. O'Reilly said that there is a summer campaign similar to the 2009 campaign, planned to clear the backlog, with additional clinics etc. Best bet is to keep in close contact with your local PHN- who will be able to let you know whats happening, and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

we were told the vacc wasnt available here for infants, we'd have to wait til he's in school - the reason cited was budget cuts, ans no staff to administer the vacc. Hospital is fobbing people off to the GP, and they say the hospital should do it...dunno who's right, don't care, but unless you are in a high risk group, your baby in Galway won't get the BCG...

Family dinner yesterday. Baby was narky/hungry. I now know I don't like when 7 people all give advice at the one go...also insisting that I leave him crying until there are two hours between feeds because clearly my milk isn't good enough...grrr...leave me and my baby alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Family dinner yesterday. Baby was narky/hungry. I now know I don't like when 7 people all give advice at the one go...also insisting that I leave him crying until there are two hours between feeds because clearly my milk isn't good enough...grrr...leave me and my baby alone.

Ugh I know this feeling all too well.. I think he's hungry, he needs a nappy change etc.. I know what's wring with him so stop telling me what to do! Everyone wants their 2 cents in there! I just say "I know what to do" and walk into another room & they usually shut up lol

So solids are going well :) he loves apple, pear & sweet potato! Gonna try some colliflower this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tigeress wrote: »

Ugh I know this feeling all too well.. I think he's hungry, he needs a nappy change etc.. I know what's wring with him so stop telling me what to do! Everyone wants their 2 cents in there! I just say "I know what to do" and walk into another room & they usually shut up lol

So solids are going well :) he loves apple, pear & sweet potato! Gonna try some colliflower this week :)

Sometimes my family say - don't worry ur instinct will tell u what to do.... And I'm like no please she's screaming and I've tried everything just tell me!!! :)

My baby keeps waking at night - not hungry - just farting! Can't get a nights sleep for anything!! Tried everything .... Breast milk at night - c&g comfort - infacol - colief - avent bottles - dr browns bottles... It goes on!!!! I'm quite worried now that only time will heal...... Yawn!! Frustrating as she's doing 6ish hr stretch at night between feeds - she know night from day a just spends 2 hrs or more before and after a feed struggling.... It's awful for her - we all exhausted!!! Today I'm gonna try brown sugar in water as a last ditch resort!!

DL have you tried baby galviscon? It could be intigestion rather than colic?! I could be wrong but it might help! How old is A now? N sleeps 12 hours now but he didn't start till about 11-12 weeks.. It's so hard when ya get no sleep, but try nap with her during the day :) x

DL have you tried baby galviscon? It could be intigestion rather than colic?! I could be wrong but it might help! How old is A now? N sleeps 12 hours now but he didn't start till about 11-12 weeks.. It's so hard when ya get no sleep, but try nap with her during the day :) x

Have gaviscon here - will give it a try!! I suppose it could be cis it's only when she's lying flat it affects her do badly! But ya see it's def fart related too!! Hehe!! She's 10 weeks now - I truly feel if I could fix whatever this is shed sleep thru or close to anyway!!
    Don't know why but cant seem to nap during day... I'm a very bad sleeper!!
    Think she's also going thru growth spurt or leap at mo as ages very cross and grumpy!!! Although we did a lot if driving and travelling over last week so she could just be unsettled!! As a result we both made the exec decision not to get out of bed today.... Well we did for a bath and then decided that was far too much like hard work!! Hehe! The dog has come up and is giving me evils so I'll prob have to get up to walk him soon...!!

very busy weekend. we finally moved into our house from the mobile. its great!! i wake up with the feeling like im on hols!!:D ive lots of organising and moving stuff to do but i dont care. so happy to be in!!!

also had emilys christening yesterday and it went great. she looked soooooooo cute:D:p she sat up on my lap mesmerised by the church lights. she didnt want to lie down in my arms at all!!:rolleyes:

dublinlady wrote: »

Have gaviscon here - will give it a try!! I suppose it could be cis it's only when she's lying flat it affects her do badly! But ya see it's def fart related too!! Hehe!! She's 10 weeks now - I truly feel if I could fix whatever this is shed sleep thru or close to anyway!!
    Don't know why but cant seem to nap during day... I'm a very bad sleeper!!
    Think she's also going thru growth spurt or leap at mo as ages very cross and grumpy!!! Although we did a lot if driving and travelling over last week so she could just be unsettled!! As a result we both made the exec decision not to get out of bed today.... Well we did for a bath and then decided that was far too much like hard work!! Hehe! The dog has come up and is giving me evils so I'll prob have to get up to walk him soon...!!

Sounds like a great day to me :) I've done that a few times with N :)
    It could be she's unsettled too.. We had a naming party for himself on Sat & he was in great form but the next day you couldn't even look at him lol! It's mad how they know that it isn't their routine!
    Wow 10 weeks already! That flew! It gies too quick I think! N is 17 weeks tomorrow! Crazy..

Congrats on moving into your house finally Red Fragle :) delighted for you! Glad ya had a great time at the Christening too :)

Tigeress - 17 weeks!!!!! Oh my god!!! Can't believe A is 10 weeks! It feels like only yesterday I was on the TTC thread! The pregnancy is already a hazey blur!!!!
    I tried the gaviscon last night and there was a small improvement!! I wonder does it build up over a few days... I thought it was just sorta instant tho so if it's as good as it gets I think I'll bring her to g.p - because it helped a little I am now convinced its reflux!! She might need something stronger!
    Trying to give it to her after every feed today in the hope it will improve more!!

• Advertisement

just wondering, what time is a 3 month olds bedtime? like what time should we be aiming to get them down at? i know they ultimately dcecide their bedtime:rolleyes: but just wondering what other mammies are doing. emily was having her last feed at 9 and in bed by 9.45. now im gona try last feed at 8/8.30 and in bed by 9/9.30. she starts gettin a little cranky bout 8 so thinking this might work who knows!!:rolleyes: cant believe how big she is getting and how time is flying!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Any suggestions for a 2 year old who just will not eat - his daddy is in hospital and I feel that he is acting up.

CathyMoran I'm reading My Child Won't Eat at the moment. It's written by a Spanish paediatrician and is very interesting. He says that when infants/young children stop eating the best thing we can do is to do nothing. He says our instinct is to force feed, cajole, beg, plead, fight all of which just make them resist and fight back.

I'm sorry to hear your husband is in hospital. You certainly don't need the stress of a child not eating on top of that. The little lad is most probably missing his dad and picking up on your distress too.

This author says infants/young kids go through periods of appetite loss just like adults do but parents then worry they'll get ill. He reckons they'll be fine and they'll make up for it when their appetite returns.

I only have one son so I'm limited in my experience but I'd say leave him be. He'll eat when he feels like it but neither of you want or need the added stress of fighting over getting him to eat.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a 2 year old who just will not eat - his daddy is in hospital and I feel that he is acting up.

I'll sort this out tomorrow! If he doesn't eat- thats fine- but he doesn't get to graze between meals, and he doesn't get to choose something else instead. Unfortunately he is going to have to learn that just because I'm not there doesn't mean he can set the agenda.

If he doesn't eat- fine. He will still get his bottle at bedtime- but no snacks and grazing to make up for his refusal to have his cottage pie. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

just wondering, what time is a 3 month olds bedtime? like what time should we be aiming to get them down at? i know they ultimately dcecide their bedtime:rolleyes: but just wondering what other mammies are doing. emily was having her last feed at 9 and in bed by 9.45. now im gona try last feed at 8/8.30 and in bed by 9/9.30. she starts gettin a little cranky bout 8 so thinking this might work who knows!!:rolleyes: cant believe how big she is getting and how time is flying!!!:)

I normally (not at the moment as I'm temporarily awol) put the kids to bed at night. Our routine is to get them to bed in turn, starting with Shane Jnr (our two year old at between 7.30-8) and then Baby Helen @ 8-8.30, so Mommy and Daddy have some time to sit back and relax (and eat) before bedtime.

The best investment I've made in the last 2 years for the children's rooms- was Black-out blinds. If you haven't got them already- get them- and quick. The problem with living so far north in the Northern hemispere, is our sodding daylength is so long, and kids don't like to sleep when they think its still daytime outside, other than for a short nap. Its a circadian thing that regulates their sleeping patterns by daylight, which induces melatonin. When you put up blackout blinds to simulate nighttime- it actually works.

• Advertisement

smccarrick I'm in complete agreement with you on that. If/when our fella figures out he can hold us to ransom by not eating I'll be very strict on insisting that he eats the same as everyone else or nothing at all. It can be his choice.

Btw, hope you're feeling better and are back home soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

CathyMoran wrote: »
    the advice i was given recently was to look at the intake over 3 days and when you consider that you will see that they are doing fine.
    Also a lot of the time i will put plate of chopped veg on the table at mealtimes - carrot sticks, cucumber, tomato, apple, mangetout, etc and more often then not there is nothing left on the plate at the end of the meal. they often get this as a snack too. at least i know if the plate of lasagne is left uneaten - by my daughter normally - she has eaten some veg at least. if i could persuade them to eat some beans - broad/chickpeas/etc - as snacks then i would be thrilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Cathy, could it be that in missing his Daddy and things not being the way they usually are that he is feeling a little out of control and using food as a way to feel like he has some control over things?
    Maybe offering an alternative that is acceptable to you (i.e. you can have x or y) so he has a choice between one or the other might make him feel he is a bit more in control of what is going on but still not allowing him to graze, snack etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

a bit of control is a great idea - let him help you 'chop' or 'stir' or make pizza bases? my oldest son loves that, really helped during his feeding rough patch (2 heading to 3 for him, 3 and a bit for daughter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Cathy, I feel your pain. I;m starting to believe all toddlers go through this, it just needs something to trigger it off and your husband being in hospital was your son's.

I know I've said it so many times, so I'm sorry for sounding like a parrot, but the only thing that worked with us was not reacting to it and instead setting him down from the table, but he doesn't get ANYTHING else. He's trying to assert his independence....starve it out of him I say! :D;) It does work, Oliver Twist was a lovely polite boy :p

So I met with my boss yesterday with the intention of telling him I wasn't going back, but instead I ended up telling him I'll go back! :eek::rolleyes: I don't know what I'm thinking....how we'll manage...if the creche can take the second boy...but sure I'll make the enquiries and see what happens I guess :o

Hannibal that's hilarious!!! U must love ur job!! :)

Well this is purely a rant.... Last night 30 mins sleep tops. I went to bed at 9 - I'm still there now and still 30 mins is all I could get. So tired I keep crying - I'm a ridiculous mess. She grunts and struggles and tosses and turns. As a result I get zero sleep. Have her bottle at 9pm - and she cried for another at 3am. Took me 2 hrs after both feeds to even try get her down. She pukes a lot. I gave her infacol before and coilef and gaviscon sachets in her bottle. I'm using comfort milk and expressed milk. I'm at the end of my tether alrogether. It's hopeless. She's 10 weeks now and only getting worse. If I knew it would soon be over I mite cope better. I know noone can say anything to help cos we trying everything!!! I just don't know what's wrong with her and it's so frustrating. The gp is no help.
    I'm literally just do tired. I can't think straight at all! The nights my oh takes her I sleep fine and can handle next day brilliantly - I love it! But when he's working early and I take her I arrive at the next morning unable to see how this can go on.
    I'm not depressed - just so tired it's depressing!!!

Rant over .... Sorry!

Oh and she's coughing and sneezing now aswell!

Dublin lady....if you need a bit if a break and want to do a coffee morning I'm in Dublin too. It might help to talk?

I was talking to a mum who breast feeds nd she said when her toddler was young she was very unsettled always grunting etc...she gave up dairy products and swears it worked for her? Might be worth talking to your phn/gp about?

Baby room in the creche is full up...so I can't go back now. I could look got another creche, but its a lot of messing.

Dublin lady....if you need a bit if a break and want to do a coffee morning I'm in Dublin too. It might help to talk?

I was talking to a mum who breast feeds nd she said when her toddler was young she was very unsettled always grunting etc...she gave up dairy products and swears it worked for her? Might be worth talking to your phn/gp about?

Baby room in the creche is full up...so I can't go back now. I could look got another creche, but its a lot of messing.

Thanks Hannibal - I very well may take u up on that! As it turns out my friend phoned this morn and even tho normally quite together and collected I just burst into tears... Needless to say she was around an hr later with biscuits and smoothies and hugs! She took herself while I got showered etc which was great. A is still very fussy and struggling with the cold which isn't helping!!
    That's interesting about ur friend and the dairy - do u think it was lactose intolerance? I thought it mite be that myself and cut out most dairy from my diet other than milk on my tea - maybe 2 cups a day. I started using colief in her nightime bottles to get rid of the lactose in those, thought it made a difference but now the grunting seems to be worsening again! She really struggles with farts too which is def connected - I think that may be responsible for some of the grunts and struggles - its like colic of her bum!!! Lol
    Going to to go for a few hrs sleep once oh in from work before I face into another night of it :(

• Advertisement

By the way are ya secretly glad about crèche? Think I would be!! Although I've no option as am self employed so have to go back, wish I could do a 2/3 day week... Ah dreams!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

DL my girl was exatly the same. Grunting non stop during the night, talking in her sleep - wonder where she gets it from :rolleyes:

We put her in her own room and much better now. She still grunts in her sleep but at least I can sleep now too. She actually sleeps better in her room now 8pm - 5am. It seems I was keeping her awake too:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The creche has been amazing for the past few days but if I won the lotto I would still take care of them full time with my husband.

foodaholic wrote: »
    DL my girl was exatly the same. Grunting non stop during the night, talking in her sleep - wonder where she gets it from :rolleyes:

We put her in her own room and much better now. She still grunts in her sleep but at least I can sleep now too. She actually sleeps better in her room now 8pm - 5am. It seems I was keeping her awake too:p

I'm so hesitant at ten weeks to have her away from me tho? I'd be so worried I think! Her room is far side of (granted small!!) house and I'd be afraid I wouldn't hear her if she needed me, but with the mOnitor I'd hear every grunt so would be pointless.
    I'm actually devastated to hear ur daughter still grunts... I can't bare the thought of this being long term!!! She really seems to be In discomfort while doing it??!? Sometimes wakes and cries! There must be something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Apparently they grow out of it, and its not as bad as it once was. I was hesitant about putting her in her own room too, but I was usless to her they way it was. You can adjust the sensitivity level on the monitor - I have it set that I hear her mooch but not the grunting. Its what ever works for you

DL, very rarely these things are long term and usually don't last beyond 12 weeks. It won't last forever. I remember our first having awful tummy trouble, so much so we ended up getting a referral to tallaght hospital. The gp sent the letter when he was a few weeks old...we got an appointment for 6 months later. By that time the problem was solved enough that he slept through the night but the pediatrician said he was a bit 'gurgly' so there was obviously something going on, but it sorted itself out.

Lol yeah I was kind of glad about the creche truth be told. It will be interesting lol

foodaholic wrote: »
    Apparently they grow out of it, and its not as bad as it once was. I was hesitant about putting her in her own room too, but I was usless to her they way it was. You can adjust the sensitivity level on the monitor - I have it set that I hear her mooch but not the grunting. Its what ever works for you
    And that's the point really - I'm useless to her this way! I'm going on hols with her for a couple of weeks in a couple of weeks and think I will consider moving her then - hadn't thought of adjusting monitor... That'll be the tiredness!!! Thanks for your advise as its nice to hear from someone who experiencing same!!

Hannibal I hope ur right - if I knew was only for another 2-3 weeks I'd cope - I'm just sic worried about her being in a little pain all the time! Frustrating!!!

dublinlady it really will get better in a few weeks. 12 weeks is the big turning point as they're no longer considered newborns and their systems mature so problems with wind etc usually end.

I've said it lots of times but our fella was a monster until 11 weeks and I dreaded evening times because of the constant crying and fussing. One evening my husband had to work late and I was terrified of having to cope with it all alone. 5pm came and he was calm and sitting in his bouncer with me tapping it, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, bedtime. That was the end of the wind, fussing, grunting. It was like someone turned a switch because earlier than week he screamed non stop for 5 hours.

My mother used to say to me 'this too will pass', it used to get me through the sleepless nights. You're not alone...we've all been there and not only will you get passed it, but you'll forget all about it! Lol

Just sent the eldest into creche for his birthday party, he'll be 3 on Sat...my goodness 3, where the hell did those three years go. This time 3 years ago they had started with the gel and I was bouncing on a yoga ball lol. I feel a bit...not sad...but something lol...little did we know the absolute sweetheart of a boy we would meet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

dublinlady wrote: »
    Sometimes my family say - don't worry ur instinct will tell u what to do.... And I'm like no please she's screaming and I've tried everything just tell me!!! :)

My baby keeps waking at night - not hungry - just farting! Can't get a nights sleep for anything!! Tried everything .... Breast milk at night - c&g comfort - infacol - colief - avent bottles - dr browns bottles... It goes on!!!! I'm quite worried now that only time will heal...... Yawn!! Frustrating as she's doing 6ish hr stretch at night between feeds - she know night from day a just spends 2 hrs or more before and after a feed struggling.... It's awful for her - we all exhausted!!! Today I'm gonna try brown sugar in water as a last ditch resort!!

She could be lactose intolerant or allergic to milk.
    Are her nappies awful?
    Ask your phn if it is possible and she will recommend a lactose free formula.

Advertisement