Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My four year old is quite convinced that they chopped my head off, and reached down my neck to pull his brother out... He didn't seem that put out about it, so I didn't go to too much trouble to set him straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My four year old seems to think that if you eat too much food you'll have a baby in your tummy. No idea where that came from!
    When I told her that only moms and das can make babies, she looked at me as if I was stupid and said "daddies can't have babies"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice here... I was induced at 37 weeks due to IUGR. When baby was in nicu I was told she had dysmorphic features and bloods were taken to be sent to crumlin to a geneticist. These tests usually take 2 weeks to come back but 6 weeks on today and still no results.

Instead they took more bloods and told me that crumlin wanted to send another sample to the UK for testing. The doc was very vague when I asked questions and I don't know if they have found something and need further information or if they came back clear and have decided to cast the net wider. Has anyone had any experience with this at all. I don't want to get worked up because she might just look "different" and tbh even if there is somethin,g I know I'll deal with it. It's the not knowing what's going on is really bothering me!
    Straight after that I was told that there is some movement in one of her hips so have also been referred to orthapedic surgeon in temple street. Poor little sausage isn't getting a break from all the prodding anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We've had genetic testing done but incredibly limited they were looking for a 22q11 deletion I think DiGeorge Syndrome. They were done last Nov and paed is following up now as Crumlin never let us know either way. They reported on everything else except that. It's desperately worrying having to wait and I have no answers for you but I do understand the worry of waiting for the tests to come up. I hope that you get answers soon.

cyning wrote: »
    We've had genetic testing done but incredibly limited they were looking for a 22q11 deletion I think DiGeorge Syndrome. They were done last Nov and paed is following up now as Crumlin never let us know either way. They reported on everything else except that. It's desperately worrying having to wait and I have no answers for you but I do understand the worry of waiting for the tests to come up. I hope that you get answers soon.

God that is a shocking long time to wait. I'm told I'll have the results in 3 weeks time I was just wondering why they have to send to the UK as most of the more common syndromes can be diagnosed here. I should have asked the questions but you know yourself when you get blindsided you don't think of the questions until your on your way home lol . Keep us posted on how you get on. Hope it's soon for you!

In our case the problem is we were discharged without the results and they were supposed to be provided. It was always highly unlikely with us tbh as she had none of the facial features. They don't have the facilities here for a lot of them: we also had metabolic tests done and they were taken in Limerick, sent to Temple St and some had to go to the Uk too. All clear there too thankfully. So just because they are testing for something doesn't mean she has it.

Do try stay away from google though. It doesn't help!

And write anything you think of down. I had a list of 13 questions one day: but if I didn't I would have forgotten it!

In our case the problem is we were discharged without the results and they were supposed to be provided. It was always highly unlikely with us tbh as she had none of the facial features. They don't have the facilities here for a lot of them: we also had metabolic tests done and they were taken in Limerick, sent to Temple St and some had to go to the Uk too. All clear there too thankfully. So just because they are testing for something doesn't mean she has it.

Do try stay away from google though. It doesn't help!

And write anything you think of down. I had a list of 13 questions one day: but if I didn't I would have forgotten it!

Yeah I'm not too worried. She does have low set ears and a short chin but none of the other things you would expect like poor muscle tone and poor feeding. She is very strong and has a great suck (sometimes I can't get the bottle off her) she is a very placid baby but also very alert and grabbing at things and looking all around at everything. At 6 weeks I haven't noticed any differences behaviour wise to my other two. In fact she is very similar baby to my other daughter who is 3 this week and developmentally perfect. It's a waiting game I suppose but Google will not be touched lol my sister works in a maternity hospital so I'm asking her some questions but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Baby is a disaster for taking his bottle. Always has been but he is rapidly losing interest in it.
    He wakes at 6am and guzzles that 7oz bottle but the rest of the day is a battle. My mother is minding him and today, for example, he only drank 3 or 4 ounces between 9 am and 3:30pm. He's gone to bed there and drank 6oz between 6pm and bedtime so only 16/17 ounces taken today. Other days he might take less!
    He is 6months old. Good for taking his food so have no worries there but is becoming constipated with lack of liquids.
    Have tried a beaker and no joy yet but I will persevere. I'm replacing an ounce of water in bottle with ounce of prune juice and that is helping with constipation but is there anything else I should be doing? Worried he is not getting what he needs

heldel00 wrote: »
    Baby is a disaster for taking his bottle. Always has been but he is rapidly losing interest in it.
    He wakes at 6am and guzzles that 7oz bottle but the rest of the day is a battle. My mother is minding him and today, for example, he only drank 3 or 4 ounces between 9 am and 3:30pm. He's gone to bed there and drank 6oz between 6pm and bedtime so only 16/17 ounces taken today. Other days he might take less!
    He is 6months old. Good for taking his food so have no worries there but is becoming constipated with lack of liquids.
    Have tried a beaker and no joy yet but I will persevere. I'm replacing an ounce of water in bottle with ounce of prune juice and that is helping with constipation but is there anything else I should be doing? Worried he is not getting what he needs

How long is he on solids? Mine lost interest in the bottles very quickly when the started solid. My daughter had very bad constipation once the solids started and I thought it was the absence of the bottles too and then I had a look at what she was eating and realised she was having an awful lot of iron. She absolutely loved green veg and cheese so had to cut them back a lot and it seemed to help. Maybe it's something in his diet that's causing it as opposed to lack of bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Water is key to avoiding constipation. Also try to give pear or kiwi each day to help keep them regular.

• Advertisement

He's on solids about 6 weeks. Watches us like a hawk when we are eating anything at all and his mouth is smacking looking for some. Couldn't really say he is getting a lot of green veg. Mostly textured purées.
    Trying to introduce different foods every few days (btw how do you 'wet' up your mushed egg in a cup without adding a load of butter??)
    He is a big fan of avocado and kiwi so I know he'll take the kiwi for me. I'll have to stock up tomorrow.
    I just hope he's getting what he needs from the few ounces and the grub. I suppose one way to think of it is that if I was breastfeeding I wouldn't be able to measures how much he has taken to the exact ounce

He's on solids about 6 weeks. Watches us like a hawk when we are eating anything at all and his mouth is smacking looking for some. Couldn't really say he is getting a lot of green veg. Mostly textured purées.
    Trying to introduce different foods every few days (btw how do you 'wet' up your mushed egg in a cup without adding a load of butter??)
    He is a big fan of avocado and kiwi so I know he'll take the kiwi for me. I'll have to stock up tomorrow.
    I just hope he's getting what he needs from the few ounces and the grub. I suppose one way to think of it is that if I was breastfeeding I wouldn't be able to measures how much he has taken to the exact ounce

They do really take what they need so I wouldn't worry too much. I used formula in pretty much anything that needed a bit of wetness lol just a tiny bit would do it for egg. There is also a lot of iron in eggs as well. Mine absolutely love eggs but when they were teeny I only gave them twice a week if even but that's because everything they seemed to love was high in iron lol

Thanks Emma. I'll give the formula in the egg a go but I'll wait to see if constipation eases first. An egg would just completely bung him up! Thanks again

Thanks Emma. I'll give the formula in the egg a go but I'll wait to see if constipation eases first. An egg would just completely bung him up! Thanks again

Try a curry lol that might get things going. There's loads of great baby curry recipes knocking about online. Hopefully the constipation eases soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone have any tips on how to rid of d+v bugs out of the house once and for all? My little fella has had diahhrea on and off for the last 2 weeks and this week everyone in the house has had a dose of it (sorry if tmi :o ). I've been cleaning like a loon, bleaching and dettol-ing, especially after nappy changes. Militant handwashing. Washing bed linen and towels etc. I thought we were finally getting rid of it but he had it again last night :(

Gp says we just have to keep up the hygiene until it passes. I don't know what else I can do, short of putting him in the bath and washing him after every nappy change (I would do this if I could but I've a bad back and cannot manage the kids in the bath unless I have someone else there to help). As it is, I'm wiping down with a clean fresh washcloth after every poo but it's just not making any difference :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Does anyone have any tips on how to rid of d+v bugs out of the house once and for all? My little fella has had diahhrea on and off for the last 2 weeks and this week everyone in the house has had a dose of it (sorry if tmi :o ). I've been cleaning like a loon, bleaching and dettol-ing, especially after nappy changes. Militant handwashing. Washing bed linen and towels etc. I thought we were finally getting rid of it but he had it again last night :(

Gp says we just have to keep up the hygiene until it passes. I don't know what else I can do, short of putting him in the bath and washing him after every nappy change (I would do this if I could but I've a bad back and cannot manage the kids in the bath unless I have someone else there to help). As it is, I'm wiping down with a clean fresh washcloth after every poo but it's just not making any difference :(

Unfortunately I think you just have to let it run its course. I don't think you can clean etc anymore than you are so just try and take it easy or you will just get very stressed. A good detol surface wipe after every nappy change and sick will be fine. And stringent hand washing. U seem to be doing all this anyway. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

Thanks Sligo I was just hoping there was some magic trick I was missing out on that would make it go away! It's an awful thing for an adult to have, never mind poor smallies in nappies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks Sligo I was just hoping there was some magic trick I was missing out on that would make it go away! It's an awful thing for an adult to have, never mind poor smallies in nappies :(

Yea it's horrible isn't it! We had it for 2 full weeks all over Xmas and new year and couldn't leave the house. OH got it aswell and it was so awful!

It's impossible to keep your house germ free. This happened with my son before and I was pregnant at the time so the smell was absolutely destroying my emotions and stomach lol I used the dettol aerosol on absolutely everything and dettol wipes were in massive stock. Washed floors and bath/bath toys with Milton but ultimately I think it leaves the house when its ready!

I was also putting a cap full of Milton into my washing machine lol not sure if it's good for the machine or not but I wasn't paying the crazy price for the Dettol laundry disinfectant.

• Advertisement

Ooh the Milton in the wash is a great idea, the Dettol laundry stuff is a shocking price :eek:

Ooh the Milton in the wash is a great idea, the Dettol laundry stuff is a shocking price :eek:

I think Napisan is antibacterial aswell. Napisan is great stuff!

Isn't it. No way was I buying it at the price. I have never used sterilising fluid for bottles but I use it for everything else lol

Was in tesco this morning and they have their own brand version of the dettol laundry stuff for €3.45 so a little bit better than the €6-7 for the dettol one. Ha I'm the same with the Milton, haven't sterilised a bottle with it in over a year but still have a big stock of the tablets and use them for everything! I think I'll be the same with baby wipes, I'll probably be using them for years after the kids are toilet trained :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

S has been mad about a particular Hot Wheels set for ages and has recently restarted his campaign to get it. I decided yesterday that he should save up for it and suggested this plan for it. Today I sat down with him, counted out what he has in his money box, explained to him the cost of the set in Smyths and how much it would probably cost if we looked for one that some other child got before but no longer wants. I made him a chart, showing how much money he has, and how much he'll need to save for each option. He has decided to go with a secondhand one and is very excited about his saving plan.

I've been trying to teach him about value as he has a great grasp of numbers and what is higher and lower. But his understanding of money goes as far as 'have money - buy toys.' It was fabulous watching him start to come to terms with the idea that you need a certain amount to buy a particular item and that there are options when it comes to price. Later on he was on the phone to my mum and he was telling her all about his chart and his money box.

iguana wrote: »
    S has been mad about a particular Hot Wheels set for ages and has recently restarted his campaign to get it. I decided yesterday that he should save up for it and suggested this plan for it. Today I sat down with him, counted out what he has in his money box, explained to him the cost of the set in Smyths and how much it would probably cost if we looked for one that some other child got before but no longer wants. I made him a chart, showing how much money he has, and how much he'll need to save for each option. He has decided to go with a secondhand one and is very excited about his saving plan.

I've been trying to teach him about value as he has a great grasp of numbers and what is higher and lower. But his understanding of money goes as far as 'have money - buy toys.' It was fabulous watching him start to come to terms with the idea that you need a certain amount to buy a particular item and that there are options when it comes to price. Later on he was on the phone to my mum and he was telling her all about his chart and his money box.

This is great! What age is he? I was wondering recently if my four year old would get it, if I found a couple of jobs around the house that he could do, and gave him a very nominal amt of pocket money instead. I'd like him to start learning that the bank doesn't just hand out money for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

jlm29 wrote: »
    This is great! What age is he? I was wondering recently if my four year old would get it, if I found a couple of jobs around the house that he could do, and gave him a very nominal amt of pocket money instead. I'd like him to start learning that the bank doesn't just hand out money for nothing!

He's nearly 3 and a half. Tbh, his grasp is still pretty tenuous but he now understands that he has 8 "moneys" and needs a total of 20 "moneys" to get the set he wants. Hopefully this should stop him from thinking that he can buy whatever he wants from Smyths every time he finds 5c on the floor. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

*is wondering if iguana will come round and teach nikpmup about moneys cos she still doesn't really get it!

My son watched Umi zoom I constantly as a little one so everything was calculated in Umi dollars for a long time lol now I have to keep reminding him we are euro and not dollars :-P

Does anyone know how I go about changing the post office that my child benefit can be collected at? Is there a form that I can print and fill out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Does anyone know how I go about changing the post office that my child benefit can be collected at? Is there a form that I can print and fill out?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/cb56.pdf

Baby was up playing til all hours last night and is still asleep. Of course it's a day I'm in work so will have to wake her soon argh!

• Advertisement

I don't know, but if you ring the child benefit section in letterkenny, 0749164400, they'll surely tell you. I've always got mine paid directly into the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got my guy 2 pairs of shoes 2 weeks ago. His runners look terrible already :( all marked from grass and dirt, I bought them previously in a different colour and they were perfect. They are startrite Leo. I bought blue ones but had navy ones previously. As I bought shoes too he has hardly worn them and wears doodles indoors mon-thurs. I am disgusted. :mad:
    The stains don't come off. They look so grubby. :(:(
    Is there any point going back to the shop? This has never happened before

It depends: lighter shoes will scuff and get dirtier quicker especially at this time of year. In saying that my local shoe shop did take a light blue pair of start rite shoes back when they were destroyed in scuffs and the colour completely gone of the toe and around the sides in 2 days so it depends how bad they are?

It depends: lighter shoes will scuff and get dirtier quicker especially at this time of year. In saying that my local shoe shop did take a light blue pair of start rite shoes back when they were destroyed in scuffs and the colour completely gone of the toe and around the sides in 2 days so it depends how bad they are?

Here they are image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg

This is what they should look like
    image_2.jpeg

http://www.startriteshoes.com/sr-super-soft-leo-blue-boys-riptape-first-walking-shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I think I'd bring them back Mille. They look totally wrecked. The worst that can happen is that they send you on your merry way.

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think I'd bring them back Mille. They look totally wrecked. The worst that can happen is that they send you on your merry way.
    Thanks yellowhen, I think they look dreadful. I have written an email to startrite. I will bring them to shoe shop tomorrow, the lady is so so nice I feel bad complaining as it's not her fault!
    He had his last pair of these ones for literally 5 months and they still looked perfect! He has barely worn them as I bought loafer shoes for him too and he has canvas t bar doodles for indoors.

Ya I'd bring them back. Definitely.

I'd chance bringing them back too, that definitely seems beyond normal wear and tear. Those shoes are supposed to be made to withstand toddlers (somewhat!) :)

Anyone know where I could pick up a pop- up beach tent thingy for a small baby? Do dunnes/tesco/heatons or somewhere stock? Local Argos is sold out til Monday. I'm not in Dublin, am down the country, so wondering if anywhere very obvious has them that I'm not thinking of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

jlm29 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could pick up a pop- up beach tent thingy for a small baby? Do dunnes/tesco/heatons or somewhere stock? Local Argos is sold out til Monday. I'm not in Dublin, am down the country, so wondering if anywhere very obvious has them that I'm not thinking of!

Almost certain lidl have them this week... Or aldi!

• Advertisement

I was in lidl this evening and they had them :) I have a small one that we got in Heatons but it was last year we got it so not sure if they still stock them.

Ok cool. I'm going to lidl as soon as I'm dressed!

Did lidl have the sun tents Jlm?

Yup! My mother picked one up for me this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Saw them in my local Lidl this morning and was tempted! Saw one being used at the beach at the weekend and looked a good size and with the pop up/pop down it's handy. we have one already but it's not a pop up one so rarely use it.

We were actually at the beach today (sans shade), and just had the buggy with the hood up and a parasol. It was manageable, but I can't wait to go back with our new popup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can I ask for suggestions please?
    I've used the same washing powder for years. It was always grand. I've also used old fashioned household soap for stains. It's now out of stock and I find Vanish is useless. Now I'm finding the regular liquid tabs from Aldi aren't removing basic stains. I want something handy I can spray on as a stain remover that's convenient and works!! Any suggestions please?

I've used the same washing powder for years. It was always grand. I've also used old fashioned household soap for stains. It's now out of stock and I find Vanish is useless. Now I'm finding the regular liquid tabs from Aldi aren't removing basic stains. I want something handy I can spray on as a stain remover that's convenient and works!! Any suggestions please?

I find Napisan great- I steep whites in it overnight before I wash them. It's especially great for poo stains from leaky nappies.
    My mother swears by ordinary fairy liquid, rubbed into the stAins before you put them in the machine.
    Also, in this weather, direct sunlight is the business for getting out stains!

I find the green bio powder in aldi brill. No need for stain removers. If white vests were bad from nappy I put a squirt of washing up liquid on stain and rinse in sink then leave soak in hot water and aldi powder, then put in wash with non bio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the help. It'd not nappy stains. It's general food stains. I just hung out a wash and most of my daughters tops till have stains on them. I do a wash every second or third day.
    Is it the box of washing powder Millem?

Advertisement