Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I don't know what to do with myself these days.

My wife is gone home to her parents for 6 weeks with junior and I'm getting a full nights sleep for the first time in 18 months.
    I can sit down with a cup of tea and my laptop and not have to worry about the keyboard getting jam all over it and my coffee being spilled.
    I dont have to negotiate an obstacle course of toys on the floor or endure the smell of a dirty nappy.
    I dont have to worry about him opening the front door and running outside.

I miss them...4 weeks to go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Dublinlady I hope ur feeling better today ... Sounds like ur suffering ... I really feel for u and hope things settle soon.

Tatranska I can't imagine my baby and hubby being away that long ... I think my heart would break ... Hope ur holding up.

I have good news ... Bub slept all night last night ... Until 6.45 ... The previous night she slept until 5.30 so I'm feeling pretty invincible today ... Just as well have year end exams on Saturday so here's hoping the sleeping continues ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Moonbeam wrote: »
    [

She could be lactose intolerant or allergic to milk.
    Are her nappies awful?
    Ask your phn if it is possible and she will recommend a lactose free formula.

Thought that myself but giving her coilef which is meant to remove lactose? But seems to make no odds to her! Also I exclusively breast fed for first 8 weeks and she was the same then? Now she seems as bad after her daytime breastfeeds as she is after the formula at night!
    She has 7-8 wet nappies a day, she only has a dirty nappy every 3-4 days but when they are dirty they are not hard - they seem normal!
    Gonna give her til next tue or wed when she's 11 weeks and then will bring her to phn or doc and persist until I get some firm of answer! Although maybe I should wait until she hits the magic 12 weeks!!!!?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never heard that about colief.
    As soon as we changed formula I had a different baby.
    There is a history of milk allergies here though so I guessed what the issue was.
    If you ate dairy product they would effect her,that is why we never discovered it until we bottle fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

N had been awake for 3 days & nights :( I'm so exhausted I could literally fall asleep standing.. I feel like I'm about to to have a break down! There is nothing wrong with him apart from teething, he's just awake all the time! He's in great form mostly & doesn't stop talking lol! My OH took today of work so he could take him last night but sure everytime N woke he'd ask ne what to do (therefor waking me) and after 3 hours of being up with him he handed him back as he was "to tired" needless to say I'm not talking to him at the mo >| he usually sleeps amazing.. From 7pm to 6am blso I'm going insane :( I don't know why he's up constantly.. Maybe a growth spurt? If he's the same by Mon I'll go the PHN.. He's not crying or anything so he's not in pain, eating well, nappies normal, no temp, AGGH :( I can't even go anywhere cause I'm so exhausted I'm worried I'd crash in the car.. Any advise? He takes naps during the day but only like 15/20 mins at a time and only about 3 and he's back full o beans wanting to sit up talk and look around.. I love him so much but just please sleep for a little while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are you giving him anything for his teeth?

Tigeress wrote: »
    N had been awake for 3 days & nights :( I'm so exhausted I could literally fall asleep standing.. I feel like I'm about to to have a break down! There is nothing wrong with him apart from teething, he's just awake all the time! He's in great form mostly & doesn't stop talking lol! My OH took today of work so he could take him last night but sure everytime N woke he'd ask ne what to do (therefor waking me) and after 3 hours of being up with him he handed him back as he was "to tired" needless to say I'm not talking to him at the mo >| he usually sleeps amazing.. From 7pm to 6am blso I'm going insane :( I don't know why he's up constantly.. Maybe a growth spurt? If he's the same by Mon I'll go the PHN.. He's not crying or anything so he's not in pain, eating well, nappies normal, no temp, AGGH :( I can't even go anywhere cause I'm so exhausted I'm worried I'd crash in the car.. Any advise? He takes naps during the day but only like 15/20 mins at a time and only about 3 and he's back full o beans wanting to sit up talk and look around.. I love him so much but just please sleep for a little while!

I'm sorry I'm useless and no help but just wanted to say - oh my god u poor thing!!!! I like u would be raging at my oh! Make him take him for 6 hrs so u can get a sleep!! U need to make him understand - DAyor night u need a rest!!!
    So much so so much sympathy for you :(
    Calpol and nurofen?
    No idea why he's not tired??!
    Hope someone can help more than me!!!
    Huge hugs!!!
    X x

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i feel for you tigeress!l lack of sleep has to be worst than crying i think!!!!

we are in the house a week now and every morning e is crying/whinging in her sleep from 5.30 on waking me and when she wakes shortly after she gives out and will not go back to sleep. she seems to have wind at this time for some reason. wont even sleep after her feed. this mornin i felt like if this continues i might die!!! i can only imagine how you feel not having sleep for 3 nights!! she also wont nap during the day unless i rock her in my arms for ages! and then will only sleep for 20mins or so!

could e be unsettled due to the move? or maybe the water from the new well i use to sterilise everything is affecting her? or a growth spurt? or the room is too bright? oh so many possibilities:confused: down at mams today to have homemade dinner!!!;)

Tigeress wrote: »
    ! My OH took today of work so he could take him last night but sure everytime N woke he'd ask ne what to do (therefor waking me) and after 3 hours of being up with him he handed him back as he was "to tired" needless to say I'm not talking to him at the mo.

oh i would be so mad!!! its all trial and error what to do anyway!!!

i told my husband i was lying in this sat. said id feed her no prob but he was to take her downstairs so i could have a lie in as im wrecked after the week of early wakings and no back to sleep or naps!
    (no where near as bad as you week tigeress!:() the response was 'oh i was goin to work on the house'!!! i know theres work to be done but seriously i only want an hour or 2!! sometimes it would be nice for them to say you have a lie in lovely wife ill mind the baby and wont disturb you!!!:rolleyes: ah i know they try their best but sometimes i think they dont think of these things. i think he just wants the house to be perfect for us. im happy we are in it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

He's ASLEEP....during the DAY...thank God almighty, asleep at last.....

/falls asleep standing up/

• Advertisement

What is it with all the newborns awake all day? Thought it was just me

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What is it with all the newborns awake all day? Thought it was just me

i know!! me too. i think they are all too nosy and afraid they might miss something:rolleyes: i went for a walk, she fell asleep and we arrived back 30 mins later and before i open the door her little eyes pop open :rolleyes:

oh i made her laugh for the first time!!!! so cute. it was a little one but it counts:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Made my first trip out alone today with babs & I'm glad to report we made it home in one piece ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

J had his 8 month check up yesterday and he passed with flying colours( not a test I know but still)

Nurse reckons he'll walk early. He's already pulling himself up to a standing position and shuffling along things. My baby is nearly a toddler!! Where had the time gone???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Saw this on my travels around the internet and thought it might be appreciated here.

2012-04-26-BabyBusiness.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So true :)

That's hilarious!! Dunno how anyone balances their attention between baby and toddler...!! Hopefully I will in another couple of yrs...(don't tell my oh I said that!!!!)

Good mood possibly cos I just had my first daytime nap.... Why have I not done that before!!! ESP since there's no toddler to mind!! Now if I can just convince A to sleep for 3 hrs solid at lunch time everyday...!!

Last night fed her at 11...3.30...7.... So much for the 11-6 she did the night before!!! Do they normally go back and forth between sleeping thru at the start - I kinda thought she'd done it once so that was that... Silly silly silly!!!! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have a little lady who is determined to wreck the entire house today. Pulling papers around the place, knocking all the DVD's off shelves, pulling soil out of the plant pot(x5!!!) , spilling her beaker and bottle on the couch & floor, hiding things behind the heater, in her toy box, trying to use the toilet brush as a play thing!!!! Argh I really am pulling my hair out with her today. A stern 'no', 'that's not nice' etc. is just ending up with her in fits of giggles and climbing on the furniture. And she didn't nap today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our little lad vomited twice last night and once today. We were heading into the zoo and had to turn around and go home because he was covered in it :S
    He's got no appetite really so I think I'll leave him be for the rest of the day and just give him water. Otherwise he's in great form.

dublinlady treasure your naps and take full advantage while you can. I'm just about to have one myself while my husband looks after the destructor ... I mean my darling son :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Lola92 wrote: »
    I have a little lady who is determined to wreck the entire house today. Pulling papers around the place, knocking all the DVD's off shelves, pulling soil out of the plant pot(x5!!!) , spilling her beaker and bottle on the couch & floor, hiding things behind the heater, in her toy box, trying to use the toilet brush as a play thing!!!! Argh I really am pulling my hair out with her today. A stern 'no', 'that's not nice' etc. is just ending up with her in fits of giggles and climbing on the furniture. And she didn't nap today :(
    Are you sure that she is not related to my little girl - sounds like my girl too.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Are you sure that she is not related to my little girl - sounds like my girl too.

You must have your hands full with the two! I swear I would nearly have to build on an empty room with padded walls to know she is safe while I go to the loo! :P

My little fella has gastroenteritis :(

My little fella has gastroenteritis :(
    Oh no! Nasty and messy!! :( can ya give him diorolyte to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated? And maybe consider infant probiotics after? Just to get his system back to normal?

Thanks dublinlady. We were in crumlin tonight because his poo was a strange colour and they diagnosed it. He was given diorilyte there and has to take more tomorrow. We're probably quite lucky that it was diagnosed before he got dehydrated.

Hoping your little guy will be back on form in no time HowStrange! When they're not well you would nearly be wishing they would be causing mayhem just so you would have them back to normal! Thinking of you x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Aww How Strange, well done getting him seen to so quickly before he got dehydrated, poor little man, hope he's on the mend soon xx

I'm scared beyond belief here....I don't know if any of you remember me whinging that the baby wasn't rolling? Well obviously he's started rolling in the meantime and now it's got to the stage that I put him on his mat on one side of the room....turn to get something, look around and he's over the other side. We've renamed him GI Joe. My fear is that if this is what he's like before he's crawling....I'm moving out when he starts :eek:

Lol. Hannibal we're never happy are we! Everyone keeps asking if our son is walking and we'd love if he started but I know as soon as he does I'll be giving out because he'll be in to everything.

Incidentally he took loads of steps last night in crumlin. I think he'd have been flying around the place if we'd stayed there for another hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

just checking in as im moving from pregnant to newborn :)

baby chloe was born on the 14th. she's doing might. eating like an elephant. sleeping like a lazy dog. and seems to generally be a content baby.

its great to have the hard part over. although some people tell me the hard parts are yet to come :)

we are heading of to collect her birth cert today!!!

• Advertisement

just checking in as im moving from pregnant to newborn :)

baby chloe was born on the 14th. she's doing might. eating like an elephant. sleeping like a lazy dog. and seems to generally be a content baby.

its great to have the hard part over. although some people tell me the hard parts are yet to come :)

we are heading of to collect her birth cert today!!!

Congrats! Enjoy her, they don't stay tiny for long :)

Thanks dublinlady. We were in crumlin tonight because his poo was a strange colour and they diagnosed it. He was given diorilyte there and has to take more tomorrow. We're probably quite lucky that it was diagnosed before he got dehydrated.

Sorry to hear your little fella was sick.

When I went with Liam to his first pediatrician appointment, she gave us a prescription for sachets of re-hydrating powder, in case he ever has diarrhea, you give them to him in a bottle between feeds or after each poo...it is to tide you over til you get to the doctor. Might be worth asking your doc for something similar!

Well Liam had his second month pedi apt this morning, everything is going well, he put on weight and he is developing well. He got his first round of vaccinations too, only cried a little bit, because the pediatrician got me to feed him while she gave him the two injections. Back home and he is sleeping like a log! Wonder could it be the effect of the vaccinations already, cos he normally hardly sleeps at all during the day!

Sorry to hear your little fella was sick.

When I went with Liam to his first pediatrician appointment, she gave us a prescription for sachets of re-hydrating powder, in case he ever has diarrhea, you give them to him in a bottle between feeds or after each poo...it is to tide you over til you get to the doctor. Might be worth asking your doc for something similar!

Well Liam had his second month pedi apt this morning, everything is going well, he put on weight and he is developing well. He got his first round of vaccinations too, only cried a little bit, because the pediatrician got me to feed him while she gave him the two injections. Back home and he is sleeping like a log! Wonder could it be the effect of the vaccinations already, cos he normally hardly sleeps at all during the day!

Yeah be ready for it!! A slept for 8 hrs straight after hers!!! I nearly died! She hasn't done it since unfort..!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My mother used to say to me 'this too will pass', it used to get me through the sleepless nights.

This was my mantra through the contractions on my recent labour :D

Sorry to hear some of you are getting so little sleep with your little one's.
    I can definitely relate, though still high on the hormones of labour so the weariness hasn't kicked in yet!

Like Staticdoor I'm graduating from pregnant over to this thread, baby George was born April 25th & (so far!!!) is the most placid little baby I have every encountered. Long may it last :) We got 5 full hours between sleeps last night.
    I kept checking to make sure he was ok as previously we were getting 3 hours tops between feeds. Hopefully it's not just a one off & he's starting as he means to go on :pac:

Just to balance things out, I think my 2 year old daughter got the memo from pljudge321's post & is acting out a little.
    We're getting all the tantrums and fun of the terrible 2's in full force!

She love's her baby brother, is definitely besotted with him.
    However I'm so terrified she's going to kill him with kindness squeezing him or chucking her toys at them trying to share :eek:
    She's acting out too having little sulks & smacking us. I really hope it's a phase that passes soon as I'm sore all over, it's difficult trying to manage a wriggly kicking toddler when you're less than a week after labour :(

It's all good though. I was child free for an hour today while I went to the GP & missed the two of them :)

Tigeress I had the same with my husband when our daughter was younger. I told him I needed a lie in on a particular Saturday as I'd had a rough week of sleepless nights with teething baby while he was away a few days.
    He agreed to do it, then took so long waking up to get out of bed to give herself breakfast that I was wide awake & ended up getting up myself.
    It was grounds for divorce at the time :D

Dublinlady are you having any joy with the grunting at night? My daughter was like that & the only thing I found worked was an ounce of warm water after her bottle of milk & rub her tummy while she went to sleep to try move the bubbles from her gut.
    It is something she grew out of in time.

How Strange, sorry to hear your little guy isn't well, I hope he's on the mend soon.

Red Fraggle, congrats on the move! Hope all are settling into the new house well :)

Caprilicious congrats on the arrival of baby George :)

My little destructor is back on form today. He figured out he could get up on the sofa if he used his toy box and he ate a few mouthfuls of clay from our one remaining house plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our son has been throwing a temper tantrum since he came home - not nice. Helen is trying to walk but still is not suceeding...yet - she is 11 months old tomorrow - the time is flying by.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Our son has been throwing a temper tantrum since he came home - not nice. Helen is trying to walk but still is not suceeding...yet - she is 11 months old tomorrow - the time is flying by.

God - time really does fly! It seems like no length since you were on the TTC thread. :)

Phew- all quiet at long last. Shane Jnr now eating chicken curry with his hands- while his little sister insists on chewing computer cables........ Time to make night bottles I think....... Wonder whats for dinner?

Yay Cap and staticdoor, congratulations to you both...hope you're doing well and the new arrivals are ok xxxxx

I think Joe is going through his 3 week growth spurt, he's not making the four hours between feeds despite changing him to the hungrier baby formula. Pretty exhausting especially at night, OH's been a star though don't know how I'd cope without him :-)

After 3 weeks of sleep 'training' i have both babies sleeping from 12pm to 1pm, its finally getting better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

i have a question.

chloe is just over two weeks old. drinking anywhere between 100-130 mls per feed, every 3.5-4hrs.
    had gained 10ounces at her first public health nurse weigh in last wed.
    the PHN said keep feeding her. that im not over feeding her. she was a big baby and she's well able for it. and also said maybe try hungry baby milk. might satisfy her more.
    so i bought some today to start tomorrow. and was talking to my cousin who really upset me saying i should just feed her more of the normal milk.

is there something wrong with hungry baby milk?? and i was under the impression that a new born stomach is not much bigger than a marble or two therefore were i just to feed her more of the normal milk surely id just make her sick?? or am i missing something?

i have a question.

chloe is just over two weeks old. drinking anywhere between 100-130 mls per feed, every 3.5-4hrs.
    the PHN said keep feeding her. that im not over feeding her. she was a big baby and she's well able for it. and also said maybe try hungry baby milk. might satisfy her more.
    so i bought some today to start tomorrow. and was talking to my cousin who really upset me saying i should just feed her more of the normal milk.

is there something wrong with hungry baby milk?? and i was under the impression that a new born stomach is not much bigger than a marble or two therefore were i just to feed her more of the normal milk surely id just make her sick?? or am i missing something?

Heya, don't listen to ppl.... Ever.. Hehe that's my general rule now!! Ppl v.quick to advise on stuff they know nothing about!!!
    I'm about to do same so ignore me too if ya like!!!! :):):)
    As far as my limited knowledge goes - 100-130 ml every 4 hrs is absolutely fine to be giving her!! Does she seem unsatisfied after that? If not just keep doin what ur doin as seems v. Normal!
    The hungry baby formula is a thicker more condensed formula I think and so is slower to digest and so as more concentrated really they last longer on smaller or similar quantities! There's no big deal with using it , but at 2 weeks it mite just be more work for her tummy? For ease of digestion the reg one in the slightly larger quantities may be easier for her to digest? But it's not bad to change her into hungry one, just maybe unnecessary? Every 3.5-4 hrs is v normal for her age, sounds like she's doing great! There tummies so small at start its impossible for them to go longer no matter what ur feeding!
    It's fab she's gaining weight like that - seems perfect to me! Also remember that week by week it's diff, some weeks she will be hungrier and gain more, sometimes content with less and not gain quite so much - it's all ok once she's feeding regularly, giving wet and dirty nappies and gaining some weight! Sounds like u doin great job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Oh at last i have figured out what the sleeping problem is... after almost 3 months of very little sleep at night it's WIND. .. caused by what i don't know but it's either the dodi, sucking his fingers, the food he's eating..or not getting it up after the 2 bottles he'll drink.. i''m beyond exhaused now at this stage cos to top it off we've had a family wedding in donegal american relations over for 2 weeks and i had to work 4 extra days in the last week and a half.. and i've to work all next week barr monday and all of the next week.. :(

On the up side though he will go into the cot awake at 8.30pm and go off to sleep and i've discovered that if i give him dentinox colic drops they work better than the infacol.. he has this little shuffle he does when he has wind.. it's like he's trying to work it down to blow it out.. it's so funny (not at 2 3 and 4am though) but if i give him the drops rub his back put on his mobile he'll go back to sleep after letting rip enough for me to check there's no holes in his nappy :eek:.. still broken sleep but at least he's out of our bed and it's only maybe 3 times now getting up to him as opposed to the up to 15 times for the last few weeks..

I may never find out what's causing the wind, but he reminds me of me when i've eaten a little too much dairy..but i know he's not lactose intolerant..

On the hungry baby milk.. i'd only change up if what she's drinking is not satisfying her.. if she's going 3-4 hours between feeds and then drops down to 1 or 2 .. it's harder for them to digest so fills them longer but if she doesn't need it it'll constipate her.. also.. if you are putting her on it wean her gradually .. change one bottle every other day.. starting with the night one..that way it's not a big shock to her system ;) its sound like she's satisfied though.. going that length of time between feeds ;)

Jees static, I'd have been chuffed if my lad went 3-4 hours at 2 weeks. He was only lasting 2 hours!

I'd be reluctant to put her on hungry formula at 2 weeks. But if your phn says its ok...go with what you think. You can always change back.

On another note its gas how natural instincts still kick in. Little guy is 6 months, he was struggling to get to sleep...he just snuggled in, found my heart beat and it knocked him right out! So cute

i have a question.

I changed Joe onto the hungrier baby formula at 2 weeks as the normal formula wasn't satisfying him. Trying to give him more of the normal formula was just making him get sick.
    A week on and he is doing well on the hungrier formula.

Registered Joe today, he is offically an Irish Citizen :-)

I got official photos today for the baby's National Identity Card (so we can go and visit his Irish grandparents, yay!). Getting passport photos of a 2 month old is interesting, to say the least! Luckily the staff were very good and I got some lovely photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I got official photos today for the baby's National Identity Card (so we can go and visit his Irish grandparents, yay!). Getting passport photos of a 2 month old is interesting, to say the least! Luckily the staff were very good and I got some lovely photos.

Try getting passport photos for a 14 month old, that was my challenge last month! Hard enough getting her to sit still never mind making sure she didn't smile and was looking straight at the camera!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Try getting passport photos for a 14 month old, that was my challenge last month! Hard enough getting her to sit still never mind making sure she didn't smile and was looking straight at the camera!

We're doing a trip to Merrion to try for photos- I've given up on ever getting compliant ones myself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Where is the best place to go to get baby passport photos ?

foodaholic wrote: »
    Where is the best place to go to get baby passport photos ?

There's a pharmacy in raheny in dub called tullys where I got mine done - accepted first time!
    They awful cute.... Can't take her passport seriously!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement