Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks ladies :) he coughed so much earlier today that he puked up the grosest ammount of phlegm and his cough doesn't seem as bad since! Hopefully it's starting to break! I'm so exhausted :( between him being sick and being so uncomfortable myself that I'm getting no sleep.. Only 4 more weeks till we meet his brother (fingers crossed)

Suucee sounds like you're having a rough time :( hope your OH feels better soon & you & A don't catch it! N's top teeth are well down too, love seeing them hehe!

MS hope little J's mood has lightened up for ya! It's so hard when they're cranky! Congrats on tooth no 3 hehe :) that's mad about his soothers! Did you use the same brand? We have 6 for N and use the Clevamama Soother Tree and rotate them daily so they last.. Expensive things! Does everyone replace them every few months or am I mad for doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

td1 wrote: »
    Anyone give some advice on encouraging a 10-month old to crawl?

My son didn't bother crawling until about a week before he was walking on his own, he was pulling himself up on furniture and cruising for a good few weeks before that. Some babies just don't bother I think!

Well it's official ladies .. My little guy will be arriving via another section on 4th of Jan! 3 weeks and I'll have 2 crazy babies lol!

N is flying around with his walking now! I can't believe it's only a week yest that he started to take off and now can walk across the house without falling! He hasn't quite figured out to stand up himself wen he does fall though, he still crawls over to something then pulls himself up and off he goes again :) it's the funniest and cutest little walk ever hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Well A got her MMR yesterday, and I was also very cruel and got her vaccinated against chickenpox and she also had her last pneumonia vaccine too. As the MMR and the chickenpox vaccines can both cause fever, I was warned by the nurse to keep a close eye on her and bring her back to the medical centre should her fever go above 38ºC.
    Amazingly, it doesn't seem to have bothered my little girl so far and she has been in great form since she got them - no fever, not even slightly out of sorts. I know reactions can pop up up to 10 days afterwards, but fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tigeress wrote: »
    Well it's official ladies .. My little guy will be arriving via another section on 4th of Jan! 3 weeks and I'll have 2 crazy babies lol!

N is flying around with his walking now! I can't believe it's only a week yest that he started to take off and now can walk across the house without falling! He hasn't quite figured out to stand up himself wen he does fall though, he still crawls over to something then pulls himself up and off he goes again :) it's the funniest and cutest little walk ever hehe

Yeah tigeress! That's brill exciting news! How do u feel about the section? I think whilst I still strongly want a vbac now ill do anything that's safest to make sure I'm ok fir my two little ones! So if I end up with a section too I won't be as upset as last time! Whatever gets my baby here safely and let's me get home in one piece to little A!!

Brilliant N is walking before his little bro arrives!!!! Start him now in going fetching nappies etc!! Hehe!!! I can't imagine A walking in 2 months when she's one! She managed to crawl from living room to kitchen today which was monumental!!!!!

Lol DL he fetches my slippers for me :D but that's about it! I'll keep training him lol! I kinda knew all along it was gonna be another section.. I hoped for a VBAC but they told me unless he's small that wouldn't happen and he's massive already!

Xdancer so glad A took the needles so well! Hope she doesn't get those nasty temps!

Well I've to bring N back to the Doc today as he wants to check him again after 3 days cause he's been so sick, can't say I've seen much of an improvement and he's on steroids which I hate having to give him :(

Tigeress wrote: »

Well I've to bring N back to the Doc today as he wants to check him again after 3 days cause he's been so sick, can't say I've seen much of an improvement and he's on steroids which I hate having to give him :(

The poor little thing. He really is having a tough time. It can't be easy for you either. I hope the little mite feels better soon.

In one way it must be handy knowing exactly when baby 2 is making his arrival. Now you can plan for it, and can have N settled with whoever will be minding him.

Missed your post xdancer about the vaccines! Poor A! Great she doing well after them!!

And that's so true about the section being planned - will make it so much easier for N!

Cathy - hope your dad is doing ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

eek tigress that's great about he baby...hope yr both doing ok and the section isn't because of somethin wrong. hope n is on the mend soon..there she so many illnesses outt there at the moment. I'm full sure the eldest here is coming down with somethin but im hoping it doesn't develop into anything before his concert tomorrow!!!

my eldest didn't crawl at all either...well maybe for about a week but hen got up and walked. unlike his little brother who won't get off his lazy butt!!!

wow that wa a lot of jobs xdancer hope she's doin ok.

how quickly is Christmas flying in you guys!!!

• Advertisement

wow that wa a lot of jobs xdancer hope she's doin ok.

how quickly is Christmas flying in you guys!!!

Yeah, it was a lot. It would have only been the MMR but I opted for (and paid for) the chickenpox and pneumonia ones. It was the4th and final dose of the pneumonia one thankfully.

Christmas has crept up way too quickly. It never feels Christmassy here, so it usually does creep up on me but this year has been faster than ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Can't believe you're gonna have a new baba in 4 weeks Tigeress, feels like only yesterday you were announcing N coming into the world, can't wait to hear how you get on :-)

J has started to grind his bottom teeth on his new top teeth, will this harm his teeth? At the very least it's a horrible sound :O\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sleep is...uh...improving. We managed to keep our little monster awake for most of a day. In retaliation she didn't sleep at all that night. So we put on the brave face and went again...another day without sleeping. Again, "Screw you guys, I'm not going to sleep", the following night. A full 48 hours for her without any real sleep. She complained surprisingly little, plenty of smiles and bright eyes the entire time.

Of course an 8-week old has to eventually relent and so she did, yesterday at around 1pm. She was literally comatose till about 11 last night, couldn't be woken up. We were convinced that we were screwed, it would be a long sleepless night, but she did actually nap for most of the night, drifting in and out of sleep for all of the night only a couple of bouts of fussing and complaining.

It's not a full nights' sleep, but we're taking it as a win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mine lived by the rule, the more sleep they got in the day,, the more they slept in the night! Once i got them napping in the sling at a few weeka old they slept during the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Yep it was the same for E with regard to sleep. The more she napped during the day the better she slept at night. We tried to help it along by having her nap in the living room where it was brighter and night sleeps were always in the bedroom with us to try and distinguish between the two. I have no idea if it had any impact but she has always been a good sleeper so can't do any harm!

sleep begets sleep...that's what my mother in law always says and its so true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh god feel like ive been run over by a bus. Stupid vomiting bug. OH had it tues. A was bit off thought she was coming down with it. She got sick few times yesterday evening and was off form. I had my xmas party last night so just went for meal and home in bed by 12 A wakes at 4 no intention of sleeping. I had go work at 10 . Started bad day in work and started feel sick. Thought it was pure exhaustion but ended up vomiting twice. They swiftly told me to go home. Ill be stones lighter at this rate vomiting all day. A was in her nannies and in great form today but kept wanting to come to me when she got home but couldnt risk her getting it. Spent an hour in the same room as her but didnt go near her. Hope she doesnt get it. You wouldnt wish this on your worst enemy. Whole body aches. Just had a shower and used some of A's bedtime bath . Hope it helps me sleep.

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh god feel like ive been run over by a bus. Stupid vomiting bug. OH had it tues. A was bit off thought she was coming down with it. She got sick few times yesterday evening and was off form. I had my xmas party last night so just went for meal and home in bed by 12 A wakes at 4 no intention of sleeping. I had go work at 10 . Started bad day in work and started feel sick. Thought it was pure exhaustion but ended up vomiting twice. They swiftly told me to go home. Ill be stones lighter at this rate vomiting all day. A was in her nannies and in great form today but kept wanting to come to me when she got home but couldnt risk her getting it. Spent an hour in the same room as her but didnt go near her. Hope she doesnt get it. You wouldnt wish this on your worst enemy. Whole body aches. Just had a shower and used some of A's bedtime bath . Hope it helps me sleep.

Oh u poor thing :(
    Hope you feel better soon , sounds so draining and difficult :(
    Mind yourself and get as much help as u can so u can rest up, x

Its awful, sick is crap,

sick while being a mammy, doubly awful!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Its awful, sick is crap,

sick while being a mammy, doubly awful!

I so miss being able to just curl up on the sofa when sick & someone bring you boiled 7up (the cure all for every illness in Ireland :D) & feel sorry for you...those days are gone :'(

Feel better Suucee x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why are all parent and baby things on so early? I really want to go to a Cuidiú or La Leche League meeting. And I'd really like to go to see a movie this week at the Reel Parent screenings in Dundrum. But they are all on at 10am-ish which is pretty much the only time of the day that I can get any sleep. I desperately want to get out of the house and do something baby friendly so I can feel less stir crazy but I can't give up the few hours of sleep I get. I want to scream every time I think I've found something we can go to and then I see the morning start. I can't be the only one who's baby is awake for huge chunks of the night then asleep until late morning?

• Advertisement

how old is the baby iguana ? i'd say go anyway....sometimes a change of scenery is as good as a sleep...depending on how bad the nights are...but if you really want to do it...go and see how you get on...if its too much don't go back.

also...when you get there you could get talking to other mums who feel the same as you...swap numbers and arrange your own time to meet. I think the early starts might be to do with school runs...ie meeting up when you drop the older siblings off and getting enough time with the group before you have to pick up again.

He's 5 weeks old now but may be going through a growth spurt as he's cluster feeding like crazy at the moment. I was feeding him almost constantly between 9pm and 5am last night then he was awake again at 6.30am for over an hour. The only real sleep I got all 'night' was from about 8am to just after 10.30am when he needed to be fed again. If he sleeps better tonight or on Tuesday I'm hoping to get to the movies tomorrow or the day after but I'm not feeling hopeful. I wouldn't mind so much but with Christmas/New Year I know that if we don't make it this week it will be 3 weeks before we get another chance. It's just a bit frustrating, we moved from Swansea to Dublin when he was 10 days old which was exhausting and it's only now that I'm feeling physically recovered from the c-section and I'd really like to do a few nice things with Sam and maybe soak up some Christmas atmosphere now that I feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hi all,

Hoping one of you knowledgeable people can help me out and it's ok to post this here.

Friend of mine just had her baby 2 weeks ago. She's looking for a nail clippers. Has anyone got any recommendations for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I found that when I clipped her nails they where sharper. So I would just bite them when I was feeding her. Now she's a bit older she lets me file them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi all,

Hoping one of you knowledgeable people can help me out and it's ok to post this here.

Friend of mine just had her baby 2 weeks ago. She's looking for a nail clippers. Has anyone got any recommendations for one?
    Tommee Tippee ones are good, I got them in my local chemist and have been using them for two years now.
    iguana wrote: »
    He's 5 weeks old now but may be going through a growth spurt as he's cluster feeding like crazy at the moment. I was feeding him almost constantly between 9pm and 5am last night then he was awake again at 6.30am for over an hour. The only real sleep I got all 'night' was from about 8am to just after 10.30am when he needed to be fed again. If he sleeps better tonight or on Tuesday I'm hoping to get to the movies tomorrow or the day after but I'm not feeling hopeful. I wouldn't mind so much but with Christmas/New Year I know that if we don't make it this week it will be 3 weeks before we get another chance. It's just a bit frustrating, we moved from Swansea to Dublin when he was 10 days old which was exhausting and it's only now that I'm feeling physically recovered from the c-section and I'd really like to do a few nice things with Sam and maybe soak up some Christmas atmosphere now that I feel better.

Iguana I know the feeling. When E was small it seemed as though everything on near us when E was to accomodate mum's with children in school, which is fair enough but like yourself I needed the rest I got from about 7.30-10! It might be worthwhile going one week and asking if there are any afternoon meet ups that might not necessarily be advertised IYKWIM. Otherwise head out for a walk and to a coffee shop with a book, great if baby is asleep and you can have a little bit of time to yourself to feel like a person again! :) The market in Dun Laoghaire is nice if you are on the Southside.

goodness!! give yourself time iguana that's a lot to deal with. why not see how Christmas goes and in Jan the baby will be that much order and you may have more of a schedule?

congratulations btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi all,

Yeah I have the tommy tippee one too, I find it easy to use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i got a clippers in tesco and find it works fine, quick and easy to use :)

Eight months later & we finally got discharged from our maternity hospital today, felt great walking out of there for the last time :D

I got my nail clippers in Boots in a set with a scissors, hair brush & comb.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

congrats:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Got our nail clippers and file in gift set like ms2011 but do dont know wher it came from. We find it east to cut and file them when shes asleep.
    Think im over the bug. Decided to eat yesterday thinking it would help. Bad idea was up half the night. Poor A was feeling very neglected by me. OH was off all weekend so has been doin everythibg with her while i just curled up on the couch. This morning i could hear a chorus of ma ma ma through the monitor. OH went in and she started to cry ma ma ma. Felt so guilty. Have few days hols from work this week . Only in fri so she'l be sick of me by the time xmas is over.
    I just hope she doesnt get the bug . Father in law now has it and 3 of her cousins. Im blaming OH he got it first.

Iguana, friends of Breastfeeding have afternoon meet ups- there's one on Mondays in City West shopping centre, starts at 2pm. I know there are more afternoon ones but not sure where offhand... Friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/support I think is the web address with lists of groups/ times.
    Once I get on the laptop I can list more for you.
    There's also some face book groups that are good sources of info for groups.

Suucee hope A avoids it!!

Found out today number 2 is another girl :)

dublinlady wrote: »

Ah that's brill DL, 2 little girls & so close in age, delighted for you x

liliq wrote: »
    Iguana, friends of Breastfeeding have afternoon meet ups- there's one on Mondays in City West shopping centre, starts at 2pm. I know there are more afternoon ones but not sure where offhand... Friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/support I think is the web address with lists of groups/ times.
    Once I get on the laptop I can list more for you.
    There's also some face book groups that are good sources of info for groups.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that group I'll look into them. Though I think that maybe HS is right and I should relax about it until after Christmas. I'm feeling a bit stir crazy but I'm sure over Christmas I'll be seeing friends and family on lots of days, so should have some more social outlets than usual. It's just that on the few days I have managed to do something fun and social I have felt a bit more awake and I think Sam sleeps better too.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Iguana, my lad was pretty nocturnal at that age too but in a few weeks they begin to settle into more of a day/ night normal pattern. At 5 weeks his bedtime was anytime between 2 am and 5am but by 10 weeks it was around 11pm, then at about 4 months he suddenly started flaking out at 8 pm and its been like that almost ever since, getting up anytime between 6.30-8am with a feed or two during the night.

I just used to go to the groups regardless and try to nap later in the day, as I felt he would adjust quicker if I maintained a day routine.

Congrats, has it REALLY sunk in yet?
    2 car seats, double buggy, 2 travel cots when you go anywhere, 2 high chairs!!!:D

congratulations DL ...so exciting

That's great DL. Congratulations! Are you delighted?
    My ideal would be 2 little girls.

• Advertisement

Wow congrats :D 2 girls will be best buds xx

iguana wrote: »

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that group I'll look into them. Though I think that maybe HS is right and I should relax about it until after Christmas. I'm feeling a bit stir crazy but I'm sure over Christmas I'll be seeing friends and family on lots of days, so should have some more social outlets than usual. It's just that on the few days I have managed to do something fun and social I have felt a bit more awake and I think Sam sleeps better too.

Yeah, prob a good idea to relax til after Xmas, I think a lot of the groups are over now til January anyway.
    I know what you mean, it's easy to get cabin fever!

Awh congrats DL! That's so lovely

Thanks guys :)

Wmp - are u trying to freak me out altogether!!!! 2 travel cots?!?! Ah jaysus surely not..... We'll turf then in together ;)

I'm very delighted - but was convinced it was a boy so surprised really! I'm so glad I found out as never would have predicted it!!!

I saw two little girls of about 3 and 2 yrs today and one was pulling the other by the hand saying no its this way alannah you have to hold my handie.... I melted!

I grew up in a house of boys - so did my hubbie - we feel a little like we don't know what to do with girls!!! I've been a tomboy in many ways all my life!! Don't get me wrong - I love make up and dressing up - but these girls are gonna have to come climbing on trees or kicking a football or some such!!

I have the double buggy as luckily had the foresight to buy the baby jogger which converts! Just never thought they'd be so close in age! Starting to get a little overwhelmed about how I'm going to mind then both... We barely coping with A at the moment cos her sleep is such a disaster - both just so wrecked barely managing 4 hrs sleep a night and working full time - perspective is tricky when ur wrecked!
    But we are so so delighted - and feel so incredibly lucky to be expanding our family - it'll be hilarious to see A react to the new baby - she's going to be totally put out as at even ten months she's a complete diva!!! I can only imagine how much devilment they'll get up to together!!!

no matter hoq hard it it, ye will cope. If someone told you last year you'd be living months at a time on 4 hrs sleep, you d say, not a hope but you do cause you have to.
    Best way i can describe it is a rollorcoaster, that you can never get off!
    Yeah, were going to stay with my in laws over christmas and it will have to be 2 travel cots. Mother in law will laugh when she sees our lugage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

As an aside my daddy is off the ventilator after 3.5 weeks and is in a cardiac care ward - he is talking and says that he loves me - will bring in my two at the weekend - they are used to their daddy being ill (sad I know) so it will not scare them).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congratulations Dublinlady :D fun times ahead for you..

Delighted to hear your news Cathy, happy days.. I hope he continues with the good progress..

• Advertisement

Ladies did any of ye notice your little one's hearing getting very sensitive along the way? My little man is nearly 5months and for the last few weeks his hearing is gone very sensitive, even if you are talking to him and say something sudden or a little bit louder or laugh loud etc. He starts crying and can not be consoled the poor little man.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    no matter hoq hard it it, ye will cope. If someone told you last year you'd be living months at a time on 4 hrs sleep, you d say, not a hope but you do cause you have to.
    Best way i can describe it is a rollorcoaster, that you can never get off!
    Yeah, were going to stay with my in laws over christmas and it will have to be 2 travel cots. Mother in law will laugh when she sees our lugage.

Ur so right....at times i literally cry from tiredness when the alarm goes - but i still get up and go to work and manage to appear normal :p My hubbie is amazing at pulling his weight so im lucky in that regard!
    A rollercoaster.... im booking off in 18 yrs.... a cruise perhaps for a year :D

Excited now because we'll be moving Aine into a different bedrrom as her room will still be the nursery. and as its another girl coming we can really go mad on the girly theme!!!! That will be one fun trip to ikea :D

Gee_G wrote: »
    Ladies did any of ye notice your little one's hearing getting very sensitive along the way? My little man is nearly 5months and for the last few weeks his hearing is gone very sensitive, even if you are talking to him and say something sudden or a little bit louder or laugh loud etc. He starts crying and can not be consoled the poor little man.

I didnt notice necessarily the loudness - but i think about that stage she did become a little more nervous of her surroundings and of new noises and ppl etc - there was a while there where the hair dryer literally would tterrify her - now at ten months she just stares at it mesmerised and giggles when i blow some of the cool air in her face!!
    Could it be more his awareness is increasing rather than the hearing?
    My mrs is a right sensitive sod - and a bit of a wuss so the simplest of things cans still spook her!

I didnt notice necessarily the loudness - but i think about that stage she did become a little more nervous of her surroundings and of new noises and ppl etc - there was a while there where the hair dryer literally would tterrify her - now at ten months she just stares at it mesmerised and giggles when i blow some of the cool air in her face!!
    Could it be more his awareness is increasing rather than the hearing?
    My mrs is a right sensitive sod - and a bit of a wuss so the simplest of things cans still spook her!
    Yeah it could be just his awareness is right. I think I was just a bit worried about his ears as he had a bad ear infection a few weeks ago. But yeah, that could be just it! Hopefully it will pass. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh god, I with you totally on the tiredness. I don't think I've ever been this tired in my life. It's mind numbing. All I can do in the evening is take my makeup off and crawl into bed. Last week I told my husband to get McDonald's for dinner. We never ever eat McD's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement