Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Was in the pool wit A yesterday and lifeguard asked if i had dipped her in yet (like fully in head and face) i said no. He daid to try as she wont develop a fear . Tried it today wen went swimmin and she kept putting her face in herself. Was havin great crack splashing and laughin.
    Ive noticed lately she's not great with her meals. And have discovered that it because she wants to feed herself. She's always been a great eater so i was a little worried but gave her toast and boiled egg so she could feed herself and nearly ate it all. I couldnt believe it. Yesterday she hardly ate much so when i was doing the potatoes i took some out before mashing them and she ate them like that. I tried giving her a spoon to feed herself but cant manage it yet.
    Its actually handy that shes feeding herself. We all got to sit down for lunch together and eat at the same time. Normally one of us is trying to feed her .

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Suucee wrote: »
    Was in the pool wit A yesterday and lifeguard asked if i had dipped her in yet (like fully in head and face) i said no. He daid to try as she wont develop a fear . Tried it today wen went swimmin and she kept putting her face in herself. Was havin great crack splashing and laughin.
    Ive noticed lately she's not great with her meals. And have discovered that it because she wants to feed herself. She's always been a great eater so i was a little worried but gave her toast and boiled egg so she could feed herself and nearly ate it all. I couldnt believe it. Yesterday she hardly ate much so when i was doing the potatoes i took some out before mashing them and she ate them like that. I tried giving her a spoon to feed herself but cant manage it yet.
    Its actually handy that shes feeding herself. We all got to sit down for lunch together and eat at the same time. Normally one of us is trying to feed her .

The clever thing!! They love doing things for themselves. Im doing baby led weaning with my last one, he's coming to 7 months next week and its amazing what he can manage himself! And as you say, its so pleasant to be able to all sit down and enjoy a meal... but since a little while my toddler has decided that she didnt want to feed herself anymore :rolleyes:

Oh dinner this evening was so much more relaxed, gave her potatoes before mashing them, chicken and brocolli. Has been eating all these for ages mashed so she just sat up and ate them herself. It was great me and OH got to both have hot dinners without having to reheat in microwave.
    She had a little snack of a fruit pot this afternoon which she didnt mind me spoon feeding to her but she loves them.
    Littlemissfixit thats typical, one starts feeding themselves and the other stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

we went to dinner with the family to dundrum today....I gave the little fella a liga biscuit while he was waiting for his food...he finished his liga then picked up his napkin and wiped his mouth...funniest thing I've seen in ages...the family were very impressed with his impeccable manners :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

J had his first haircut today, sat perfectly still & was so well behaved. Looks extra cute now & like a real little boy ♡

Ms2011 wrote: »
    J had his first haircut today, sat perfectly still & was so well behaved. Looks extra cute now & like a real little boy ♡

ooh ms...how old is he? I was tempted to bring my little one, but wasn't sure he was old enough...I right bring him tomorrow see what they say

ooh ms...how old is he? I was tempted to bring my little one, but wasn't sure he was old enough...I right bring him tomorrow see what they say

He's 8.5 months, I have a hairdresser friend who cuts my hair so I got her to give J a little trim while she was there. Nothing too much, just the top of his hair was starting to get longer & thicker than the back so I got her to lighten that & just shape around his ears, it made so much difference though :-)

He's 8.5 months, I have a hairdresser friend who cuts my hair so I got her to give J a little trim while she was there. Nothing too much, just the top of his hair was starting to get longer & thicker than the back so I got her to lighten that & just shape around his ears, it made so much difference though :-)

awww sounds so cute...it does make them seem so different doesn't it. I think I'll bring him tomorrow see how he gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

It's great when they eat themselves alright :) N loves a Ham & Cheese Toastie lol! Or anything he can pick up!
    He got over the bad chest infection and was just about better and had caught a tummy bug :( I've gone through nearly all his clothes from either Diahria or puke the last 2 days.. I phoned the Doc who told me to give him lots of fluids and easy to eat food (although its all jut coming out of him) so he's been having soup and toast. I feel so sorry for him cause he wants to eat and he's so good and still full of smiles and giggles but so unwell..
    He's in crèche tomorrow and they're having a little party for him as he turns 1 over Xmas and they'll be closed.. I don't wanna send him in but he seemed better this eve and I think he'll love being spoiled and all the attention :) even if I only put him in for an hour!
    Is everyone all set for Christmas?

MS did you go to Kiddie Cuts? We're bringing N for his 1st cut tomorrow.. I really don't want too but his hair is long long I can fit it in a pony tail :o he never went through that bald stage?! I'm looking forward to getting it cut and looking all extra handsome for Christmas and his Birthday but at the same time it's like he's growing too quick :(

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    MS did you go to Kiddie Cuts? We're bringing N for his 1st cut tomorrow.. I really don't want too but his hair is long long I can fit it in a pony tail :o he never went through that bald stage?! I'm looking forward to getting it cut and looking all extra handsome for Christmas and his Birthday but at the same time it's like he's growing too quick :(

No my friend is a hairdresser, she was in my house cutting my hair so I asked her to trim J's too, wasn't sure how he'd react so if he was going to have a meltdown I'd rather he did it had home :D
    He was fine though just go distracted by the shiney scissors a little bit while she was trimming round his ears.
    I never really had that emotionally attachment alot of mammys have to their baby's hair, I much rather short hair on a boy so as soon as J's started getting any lenth in it I wanted to get it cut plus it was just in time for Christmas :-)

Hope N is feeling better soon, J had that stomach bug a little while ago, it horrible :-(

I'm going to kiddie cuts today tigersess. I used them on the first guy and theybwete great...I just can't remember how old he was. he goes to a proper barber now :(

I hope his brother sits still :o

A is nearly 8 months and has had to have her fringe trimmed twice. Being a girl i havent had to get a good cut yet. Its so long though ive even started dryin it with haur drier on cool. Dont like her going to bed with wet hair or goin out after swimmin with it wet either. She just sits there and smiles away as i dry it. Only takes couple of seconds anyway.

A is nearly 8 months and has had to have her fringe trimmed twice. Being a girl i havent had to get a good cut yet. Its so long though ive even started dryin it with haur drier on cool. Dont like her going to bed with wet hair or goin out after swimmin with it wet either. She just sits there and smiles away as i dry it. Only takes couple of seconds anyway.

ah thats lovely...I've tried doing the hair myself but I just made a mess if it...anyhow he's done now all handsome and ready for Santa...thanks for the idea ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

That sounds so cute :)

A's hair is getting a bit long at the front, but I just stick a clip in it. Luckily she doesn't try to pull it out (for the moment anyway ;))

She made a Christmas card at nursery and there is the cutest photo of her inside wearing a little Santa hat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am so jealous of all these babies with hair! My smallie is 21 months old now and has a few whispy very short curls. They are so fair she looks completely bald and there isn't even enough to put a clip in. She is chosing only blue clothes at the moment, so everyone thinks she is a little boy. I brought her to a hairdresser about a month ago on a friends advice to give it a trim to 'thicken it'. Pfft. Looked exactly the same before, after and now. I guess the effort was going into the teeth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It could be worse. Sam was born with lots of hair but in the last couple of weeks it's started to fall out. The same thing happened to me as a baby so I was half expecting to to happen to him too. But on Sam it's falling out in weird patches and mainly from the front and top so he has a weird mullet thing going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

iguana our son was the same and he was left with a little ring of hair around the bottom of his head so he looked like an old man or a monk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've started calling him Professor Wernstrom.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9e6r4XWG0dV3MvZlgU9pB4wU7CkhHlZ41eaYaGGFlBQ8zzALmLA

• Advertisement

lol....you need a baby hair piece :D

iguana wrote: »
    It could be worse. Sam was born with lots of hair but in the last couple of weeks it's started to fall out. The same thing happened to me as a baby so I was half expecting to to happen to him too. But on Sam it's falling out in weird patches and mainly from the front and top so he has a weird mullet thing going on.

Same happened with my guy around 3 months but then it went into overdrive & he needed a haircut 5 months later ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

pwurple wrote: »
    I am so jealous of all these babies with hair! My smallie is 21 months old now and has a few whispy very short curls. They are so fair she looks completely bald and there isn't even enough to put a clip in. She is chosing only blue clothes at the moment, so everyone thinks she is a little boy. I brought her to a hairdresser about a month ago on a friends advice to give it a trim to 'thicken it'. Pfft. Looked exactly the same before, after and now. I guess the effort was going into the teeth!
    I was the same as a young child and my daughter is prooving to be the same - my son on the other hand had hair when he was born, lost it and now has thick hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Son got his first hair cut yesterday at 27 months. There was no crying and no drama except for the Wife who was upset seeing his frizz fall to the ground even though it was her idea;)

Happy Christmas to all the Mammies, Daddies & babies, hope all babies are in bed waiting on Santy & they have an amazing day tomorrow x

happy Christmas ms2011 and to all...hope all the first Christmases (?) are wonderfully special and everyone has a fab day xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I nailed Santa! We were even worrying about it as I was in work till 8pm, but we nailed it. I even have presents wrapped.

Next year I'll try cook something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Waiting for her to wake up so we can see what Santa brought!

A was awake at 6.10 on the dot as usual. She loves her new trike but bypassed everything else to play with her favourite and very battered book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We have two bigger presents that we're holding back for later. A pirate ship and Kermit the frog are doing great things with Shane at the moment- as for the squeals of joy from Helen, from a new dolly and other toys- its lovely to listen to them. Now to explain that electronic toys cannot go in the bath!

Our little lad has an awful cough and a temperature :( so he's medicated to the eyeballs. He woke at 6am in hysterics and it took ages to calm him down. He's having a nap now so hopefully it'll be a long one and he'll feel better afterwards.

He was excited to see what Santa left but was more impressed with the present his granny gave him. I think Santa was upstaged!

Happy Christmas to all the smallies. Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Our little lad has an awful cough and a temperature :( so he's medicated to the eyeballs. He woke at 6am in hysterics and it took ages to calm him down. He's having a nap now so hopefully it'll be a long one and he'll feel better afterwards.

He was excited to see what Santa left but was more impressed with the present his granny gave him. I think Santa was upstaged!

Happy Christmas to all the smallies. Xxx
    Hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Happy Christmas to all, have a lovely day! :)

Great day today, OH proposed so I've a nice new sparkily ring to show off :-)

On the downside though J has been totally overstimulated by the day so I've been trying in vain to get him to sleep, he's spent the last hour in hysterics, completely unlike him. Making a little progress with his night like thing that plays music but his still having outburst of bawling. Gonna be long night me thinks....:-(

Great day today, OH proposed so I've a nice new sparkily ring to show off :-)

On the downside though J has been totally overstimulated by the day so I've been trying in vain to get him to sleep, he's spent the last hour in hysterics, completely unlike him. Making a little progress with his night like thing that plays music but his still having outburst of bawling. Gonna be long night me thinks....:-(

Huge congrats MS! What an amazing present x hope J settled in the end for ya!

Happy Christmas all xx

We had a great day with N he has this present opened down lol! He was over whelmed yesterday with the OH's family and all the gifts but today was much more relaxed with just the 3 of us :) spoiled rotten! Only 9 more days until this next baba arrives so he's getting proper spoiled as its his last few days as an only child! Another day of pressies tomorrow wig my family and then his 1st birthday on Thurs!! Where did that year go?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Ms2011!! What a lovely xmas suprise :)

To all a v happy Christmas, hope you enjoyed a lovely one with your little one's :)

Congrats ms2011.
    A was the exact same. Went for her morning nap fine but instesd of her usual 2 hours only slept for 45 mins. Then got so upset at dinner time so i put her up agsin but she only has half hour. We then had to go see OH family so between her exciyed cousins and all thr prrsseis she eventuslly fell fast asleep on her grandads knee.
    I cant believ the amount she got. Lucky she doesnt understand or she'l be expecting it every year. My sitting room and her bedroom just look like play rooms at this stage.
    I wont have any problems keeping her amused anyeay.
    Happy christmas all.
    Hope ye had a great day.

Thanks for all the congrats x

Took 2 hrs to get J to slept last night in the end. Looks like he was so unsettled because he has a vomiting bug, woke up at 4:30am being sick, had to strip him & his cot. I no sooner had that done than I was getting sick myself :-(
    So OH brought J down to the sitting room & the two of them fell asleep on the couch until 8am but then J threw up his breakfast all over himself so we had to stick him in the bath. Poor OH is spending his time off work nursing me & J!
    This is one Christmas we won't be forgetting for awhile ;-)

Glad all the litte ones had a good time yesterday!

Tigeress hope N has a great birthday tomorrow, not long now for his little brother's arrival, soo exciting:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Congrats MS!!! Hope you feeling Better now tho?

Hope himself is better now also how strange!

Happy Christmas to all!! Santa did great work here! We had a dream day yesterday with A on best behaviour - but can't get her right at all today! She's over tired and unable to nap etc.... Not a fun day ahead!!!

Thanks DL, yes he's much better today. They're not able for the change in their routines and the over stimulation. We were at a family dinner on Saturday where he was in fantastic mood but we paid for it on Sunday.

We're going to my parents today but it's the kind of place where he'll be left to potter around so he should be ok. My husbands family just worship everything he does (which is great!) as he's the only grandchild. It can be very overwhelming but next year he'll have to share the limelight :S

Enjoy St.Stephens Day everyone!! Relax, eat more chocolates and try to find the missing pieces of toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hi all. havnt been on here in ages. so busy with work and cooked dinner for 20 on christmas day:D. great to here all the not so little ones anymore had a great christmas. Emily did too. she loved her trike santa brought and loved having all the people around. shes so social!! she got so much toys tho.

E has got 4 teeth in about 2/3 weeks but she was ok with them. she has 6 now! but i think they are still coming! crawling around like mad. time has just flown!!

oh did/does anyone elses little one hit there head? Emily is hitting her head off of things of purpose-mostly the cot! not sure why. im thinking its something to do with teething. shes not upset and doesnt seem in pain but she rarely complains so its hard to know! 12 month injections due soon so il mention it then.

hope everyone is still enjoying christmas. hoping ill be able to chat a bit more on here again. i missed it!! :D

• Advertisement

Little man is 10 months and 2 weeks and no sign of any teeth, he's driven mad. He may as well just implant the amber beads in his gums and use them.

Christmas couldnt possibly have better, both kids loved everything.

Congrats MS!!!! You'll be busy.

To all, happy christmas, hope everyone got loads of pics and video, such a difference a year makes, little girl really knows santa came in and ate the cookie and milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Hi I'm just over from the due dec thread! Had a little boy 2 weeks+4 days ago. It's going great totally inlove but totally wrecked too!! Me and my oh look like the walking dead! Just wondering how others got on with breast feeding? Did others have a tough time with it? When did it get easier? Did people have any tricks suggestions to make it easier and when did people supplement some formula? Did it gave any positive or negative consequences ? General feedback on your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

My little man is 1 today!! That year has absolutley flown in! What an amazing journey so far :) wee watching him learn to eat, sit, crawl, talk, laugh, walk and so very much more! He's made our lives & in a week when his little brother arrives I know he'll be the best big brother :) here's to many many many more wonderful birthdays ahead full of smiles and giggles! Happy birthday to my wonderful son Nathan xxx

Tigeress wrote: »
    My little man is 1 today!! That year has absolutley flown in! What an amazing journey so far :) wee watching him learn to eat, sit, crawl, talk, laugh, walk and so very much more! He's made our lives & in a week when his little brother arrives I know he'll be the best big brother :) here's to many many many more wonderful birthdays ahead full of smiles and giggles! Happy birthday to my wonderful son Nathan xxx

Happy 1st Birthday Nathan! :) I hope both you and he have a wonderful day Tigeress

Awh happy birthday nathan. Hope ye all have a lovely day.

happy birthday Nathan xxx what great buddies they will be.

Thanks ladies :) he had an amazing day! He actually went to sleep giggling lol! Bloomin hell I'm wrecked now though! Who knew a babies party could be so messy and tiresome lol?! He even skipped his nap cause he was having so much fun, so many toys though eek! Gonna have a few days of relax now to get over it all :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Aghhhh am frazzled. OH laid up for ten days with bad back and have v little support minding Jnr who isn't sleeping. He is walking and this evening I cane down from seeing the oh in bed and baby was on the 4th from the top step of the stairs. Agghhhhhh am totally overwhelmed.

scrgirl wrote: »
    Hi I'm just over from the due dec thread! Had a little boy 2 weeks+4 days ago. It's going great totally inlove but totally wrecked too!! Me and my oh look like the walking dead! Just wondering how others got on with breast feeding? Did others have a tough time with it? When did it get easier? Did people have any tricks suggestions to make it easier and when did people supplement some formula? Did it gave any positive or negative consequences ? General feedback on your experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats!! My little man is 11 months today and boy, was he hard work for a few months! I breastfed him, see breastfeeding thread for a novel on how i managed it! Get support!!!! is the only advice I can give. My 2 friends breastfed but they never had any problems so were no help. I found all the first time mums in the Cruidu meeting brilliant, like the blind leading the blind! There were some accomplished mums there too.

It will get better, if you can, live in bed, with the heat on and both you and baby naked. Bring your phone / laptop etc, so you can feel like you are getting something done.

You baby will be relaxed as he knows the tap is beside him.
    Your supply will strengthen as having him beside will make you make hormones.
    Baby will get the right amount of sleep and will put himself in a routine, mine all slept more in the night if they slept more in the day.
    You will get to know his signs, like when he's full, when he's thinking about a feed, but grand for a few minutes and when he's bloody starving! This will mean less chances of you planning something like a bath when he is 30 minutes away from being starving.
    When you do leave, get your partner to put your nightdress on his belly while holding the baby, so baby wont freek out.
    Be prepared for baby to start feeding from 7pm till 11pm, this is tanking up, you may think its a pain int eh ass like I did, after a few nights this will mean he'll last the night (night for him is 12am till 5am!!)

And I really hope he doesnt get colic!!

With the formula, have you tried pumping? Even getting 3 oz of breast milk in a freezer bag should get you 3 hours off in a few weeks time. Some poeple say wait till 6 weeks till you pump, I didnt as he wouldnt latch and I had to syringe feed him etc.

If you do feed him formula, his tummy can expand and turn him in to a majorly hungary baby looking for a boob to fill his new tum.

Loads of posters here were lifesavers for me. Best advice I heard was:
    Never quit on a bad day!

I found this great:

www.kellymom.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Any word from Moonbeam?

Advertisement