Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Two days of high temps :( I'm hoping there'll be a tooth to show for it in a few days!! No sleep really at all.... Poor thing is miserable! So amI for that matter! Was so worried about her yest but now def think its just teeth! She got her first 2 2&1/2 months ago and similar happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

my head is wrecked....oh my goodness...I need another set of arms....remember all the moaning I did about him not walking? well he's walking now...and his like a stealthy sniper....when he crawled you could hear him....now he sneaks amount the place and you only know where he is when he giggles coz he's somewhere he shouldn't be.

he's climbing on everything....the coffee table...chairs....hoovering the floor the Hoover feels heavy I look around there he is riding along on it.

he goes for everything the brother has and climbs over him to get whatever he's after.

all I hear is clunk bang thump as he's hit his head or fallen again....I doubt the television will survive his early years as he keeps trying to grab the ninky nonk and the one tooth he's managed to grow in a whole 14 months is on borrowed time.

the worst is having to be stern while trying not to laugh.

what's up with moonbeam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

She's due baby no.3 around now Hannibal Smith. Up to yesterday she was still waiting but the pregnancy forum is all quiet so far today......

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

As of last night on Facebook nothinh was budging for Moonbeam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sorry Hannibal but your post really made me laugh! :D

Maybe I shouldn't be in such a rush for A to walk....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Congrats!! My little man is 11 months today and boy, was he hard work for a few months! I breastfed him, see breastfeeding thread for a novel on how i managed it! Get support!!!! is the only advice I can give. My 2 friends breastfed but they never had any problems so were no help. I found all the first time mums in the Cruidu meeting brilliant, like the blind leading the blind! There were some accomplished mums there too.

It will get better, if you can, live in bed, with the heat on and both you and baby naked. Bring your phone / laptop etc, so you can feel like you are getting something done.

You baby will be relaxed as he knows the tap is beside him.
    Your supply will strengthen as having him beside will make you make hormones.
    Baby will get the right amount of sleep and will put himself in a routine, mine all slept more in the night if they slept more in the day.
    You will get to know his signs, like when he's full, when he's thinking about a feed, but grand for a few minutes and when he's bloody starving! This will mean less chances of you planning something like a bath when he is 30 minutes away from being starving.
    When you do leave, get your partner to put your nightdress on his belly while holding the baby, so baby wont freek out.
    Be prepared for baby to start feeding from 7pm till 11pm, this is tanking up, you may think its a pain int eh ass like I did, after a few nights this will mean he'll last the night (night for him is 12am till 5am!!)

And I really hope he doesnt get colic!!

With the formula, have you tried pumping? Even getting 3 oz of breast milk in a freezer bag should get you 3 hours off in a few weeks time. Some poeple say wait till 6 weeks till you pump, I didnt as he wouldnt latch and I had to syringe feed him etc.

If you do feed him formula, his tummy can expand and turn him in to a majorly hungary baby looking for a boob to fill his new tum.

Loads of posters here were lifesavers for me. Best advice I heard was:
    Never quit on a bad day!

I found this great:

www.kellymom.com
    Hiya. Thanks for the great advice. I haven't given formula much, just 2 ready made bottles on Xmas day think 2oz in each. Would that expand his belly? Cause its since then that he has turned into a boob monster! I had the same problems with latch a couple of weeks ago and pumped a bit to feed him with a syringe too but haven't needed to recently. I am planning to get to a support group but honestly right now there is no way we could get organised to be out and about by lunch time he is still breakfasting on me as I type thus! Been here since 10 am. How long go you stay in bed till? I'm keen to get out and about already but not able to yet. Did for a few days at Xmas but need to chill again now.

scrgirl that could be a growth spurt. There's a spurt at 1 weeks, 3, 6, 12 and 24 weeks. The first few are pretty intense and can mean intense feeding on and off for a few days.

scrgirl that could be a growth spurt. There's a spurt at 1 weeks, 3, 6, 12 and 24 weeks. The first few are pretty intense and can mean intense feeding on and off for a few days.

That Did occur to me but its been 4 nearly 5 days now! Can they last this long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Hi

We were away for a few days. First break since A was born. We stayed in a hotel and A was in a travel cot. Came home yesterday and now when we try to put her up for a nap she roars crying. She's obviously tired but i think she has got used to us being in the room with us. She has been in her cot in her own room since she was 8 weeks. Never had any problem before this. We could just pop her in for a nap and leave the room no matter if we were at home in her nan or aunts (who mind her when i work) but now she keeps crying. Going to bed last night was fine as she was nearly asleep when i finished her story. She slept from 8 to 9.15 this morning so no complaint there. I hope its just a phase since she has got used to us being there. I cant leave her to cry, its to hard. I suppose we dont have too much to complain about as she sleeps fine at night. It just through us a bit yesterday as she normally loves her sleep and the minute shes put in she rolls onto her side with her raggy and closes the eyes . She's in for a big shock when we go back to work. Im in for 5 hours tomorrow and she'l be with her daddy so she probably wont even notice.

Also as he has been feeding do much my nipples are getting really tender and sore the right one ESP so I am only giving the r one every second feed. Is this going to damage my supply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

scrgirl wrote: »
    Also as he has been feeding do much my nipples are getting really tender and sore the right one ESP so I am only giving the r one every second feed. Is this going to damage my supply?

A week would be fairly normal for a growth spurt so if you can hang on another day or two you'll get through it!
    Tenderness is ynderstandable but there shouldn't be pain... If it persists past the spurt mention it if you get to a support group as his latch could be a bit off still.
    As long as you're feeding regularly from each breast your supply will be fine, just make sure you don't overly favour one side as if you do it a lot you can end up a little uneven!
    Basically sounds like you're doing everything right though! :)

Xdancer wrote: »
    Sorry Hannibal but your post really made me laugh! :D

Maybe I shouldn't be in such a rush for A to walk....

enjoy the peace!

wow can't believe moonbeam is due already...seems like only yest she said she was pregnant.

tigress must be due soon too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

enjoy the peace!

wow can't believe moonbeam is due already...seems like only yest she said she was pregnant.

tigress must be due soon too ?

Moonbeam is still going, no baby yet! I'm with Hannibal on the walking lol! N is flying and climbs everything too! How he hasn't had a concussion yet from falling off things I don't know lol!

I'm due on the 7th but having a section again on Fri 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Congrats Ms2011 on your engagement and Tigress on a great birthday for N.

Had Sam in Limerick for 3 nights from the 26th. I was worried the trip might upset his new night-time sleep routine that he'd developed in the week before xmas, where he'd sleep for about 4 hours from 12-1am, wake for a feed, then sleep for another 3/4 hours. A massive improvement on the past month where he'd been awake for most of every night. But I worried in vain as the first night he followed the same pattern and on nights 2 and 3 he slept straight through for just over 8 hours!!!!! It was utterly amazing, though I didn't get to enjoy it as the first night I kept having to check he was breathing as I couldn't believe he could sleep for so long. Then the second night I stayed awake anticipating the disappointment of him waking up.:rolleyes: I think the long sleeps came from a combination of all the excitement and the exercise he got on the new playmat his nana gave him.

Last night he was back to waking once at 5.30am but I'm hopeful that we can manage to get him back to doing 8 hour stretches and if we can't then one wake a night is still heavenly compared to how he was a week and a half ago. I feel completely re-energised from it. Now all I have to do is get rid of the thrush infection that's still hanging about in both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Best of Luck to Moonbeam. My son is scared of the bath still, my daughter loves it, any suggestions? Thanks.

how old is he Cathy? what happens when you bath him? do you put them both in together? hope yr dad is ok.

tigress ...eeeek!!!! next week...time is going way too fast. how u feeling? does n understand what's going on.

iguana those long nights are amazing strokes of luck. our guy is waking at 5 these mornings. I'm hoping new years day he'll cut us a bit of slack.

It's amazing luck. He did 12.30-8.30 last night and I even managed to sleep through most of it. I'm absolutely buzzing this morning. We're going out to some friends tonight, who have a little girl a few weeks younger than Sam, but I think at most we'll stay 'til new year in Botswana (10pm) as I don't want to mess up the bed time routine that he has developed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Iguana how did you get baby to stretch out to 8 hours? Also had a hair test done and they say my man has candida. Has anyone experience of this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

smccarrick wrote: »
    Any word from Moonbeam?
    Despite being convinced I would not go over due I have !
    Maybe tomorrow so my eldest and youngest can share a birthday :-)

I just lucked into it, I had been hoping to get him to sleep more at night as he had been under the impression for the previous month that 12-6am was play time. I read here that most people had the best results in getting their babies to sleep more at night if they let them sleep as much as they wanted during the day. It sounds wrong but it seems that with babies, sleep begets sleep, so the first thing I did was stop trying to keep him awake during the day and I just let him sleep whenever he wanted.

The second thing was to get out and do as much as possible with him. While he hadn't been sleeping I was staying at home all day with him because I was so tired. My husband would take him for a walk with the dogs in the morning if he wasn't feeding/sleeping when he went out but other than that he was almost always at home. The week before Christmas this changed as I had stuff I had to do, so we had him out more regularly, either in his sling or his pram. I'm not sure why, as he mostly sleeps when we are out, but every time we went out, he slept more at night. This resulted in me having more energy the next day and taking him out for longer, which meant he slept even better that night. He was also meeting new people and having new experiences, so I guess that he wanted to sleep more at night in order to process all the new information his brain was dealing with. The third thing was that he got a playmat for xmas and is at the right age to start enjoying it, so I think all of the kicking and reaching wears him out physically.

So our new routine is to feed him when he wakes, then let him have some kicking time until he is tired and wants to feed again. He has a nap after that and then we go for a long walk in the late morning/early afternoon, which he mostly sleeps through. In the late afternoon/evening we go visiting/shopping and at every spare opportunity we lie him down somewhere that he can kick. Through the evening he cluster feeds. So we spend a few hours going through a cycle of feeding him, burping him and putting him on his mat. In the last few hours before bed, we really go to town on burping him so we can get as much wind out of him as possible, as I find that if he has bad farts at night they wake him. We also swaddle him, but only at night so that may help him differentiate between nap time and night time. All that said, he has only managed to sleep for 8 hours on 3 occasions, so they might be complete flukes.

As for the candida, is that thrush? Sam has that in his mouth and on his bottom atm. He has a cream for his bottom that cleared his rash up fast and drops for his mouth. With the drops I find it easier to give them to him while he sleeps as he doesn't swallow them straight back and they get a better chance to coat his mouth for a few seconds. If your baby has the infection in his mouth and you breastfeed it's likely your nipples will get/are infected too, so it's important to treat them as well or you will keep passing the infection over and back between you.

• Advertisement

A cut her fifth tooth. Didnt even realise she was teething. She was out of sorts for past few days when going for naps but i put it down to being out of routine as we were away for a few days. Now has 5 teeth at 8 months .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

2012 brought me my precious little boy & my shiney new ring :D so I'm a bit sad to see it go but looking forward to what 2013 has in store for us ♡

☆☆☆HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY☆☆☆

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

2012 marked the arrival of my little princess and what an adventure its been. heres looking forward to 2013.

happy new year everyone!!!!!:D

Happy new yr to one and all!

My little one has had high temp for 3 days now - but seems a little better today! She could be teething or it could be viral. I'm not worried as if I was I'd bring her to the doc. She's been eating well and drinking 15+ oz a day, cranky as hell tho!! Giving her meds for the temp so that's under control! But just wondering has anyone else gone thru this and their little one lips gone v sore? They almost blistering and were a little bloody this morn, only the outside - liked bad chapped lips! Not coldsores etc - def not foot mouth etc, so I'm not looking for medical advise as if I thought it was significant I'd bring her to doc - I think she just run down? Just wondering if anyone ewes baby as this kind of reaction to teething or illness?

Last few days been incredibly tough but her ability to try to be happy has amazed me!! Big red cheeks and tears eyes yet the word zoo can still make her giggle!! Love her :o

DL my son had a virus over Christmas with high temp and I alternated between nurofen and calpol every 2 hours for 2 days. Like you I knew it was t serious enough to go to Crumlin (Xmas eve/day so little hope of getting a doc to call out). I'm not sure about the chapped lips but perhaps put your lip balm on them. The poor pet. It's horrid to see them so sick. It's a very good sign that she's eating and drinking though.

DL my son had a virus over Christmas with high temp and I alternated between nurofen and calpol every 2 hours for 2 days. Like you I knew it was t serious enough to go to Crumlin (Xmas eve/day so little hope of getting a doc to call out). I'm not sure about the chapped lips but perhaps put your lip balm on them. The poor pet. It's horrid to see them so sick. It's a very good sign that she's eating and drinking though.

She's still not great today but temp going I think! Phew! Good idea about the lip balm - we were talking about it then and decided to go for lansinoh!!! Haha! But that stuff is amazing!!!! When I was breast feeding I
    used to sneak a but onto my lips while no one was looking... Worked wonders!!!!

She slept a but better last night - wish I had...!!!

Hope ur little fella fully on the mend now? It's exhausting isn't it!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Catchy do you wash his hair every time he is in the bath? My guy hates it so I was advised to let him play in bath and only wash his hair once or twice a week.

Aww DL hope A feels better soon! N had a similar viral infection on and off for a few weeks but is finally recovered! So long as she's eating and drinking I wouldn't worry too much! I'm not sure about the chapped lips though.. Maybe some Vaseline on them? It's tough with being pregnant and having a sick baby hun :( just make sure you have rest time yourself and nap when you can!

Hannibal he hasn't a clue what's going on lol! I've tried to point at the bump and say baby but he looks at me like I'm a mad woman lol!
    He's saying so many words now :) his latest is Hiya and he says it everytime you're not paying full attention to him the cheeky monkey lol!

Happy New Year everyone! X

Yes, he's still got a cough and a runny nose but otherwise he's grand again. Thank god for naps. I go for a nap when he goes down. I'll miss them tomorrow when I'm back at work :(

• Advertisement

DL- I'd try Vaseline on her lips. Anytime A sees me putting it on my own lips, she has to have some too :)

A has had the worst nappies since Sunday. She had a bit of a fever on Sunday afternoon but has been grand since. She's still eating albeit a bit less than usual. I'm presuming it could be teething related as she is chewing on everything and grinding her teeth.

Urgh, got the lurgy. :( I really hope Sam doesn't pick it up from me.

DL- I'd try Vaseline on her lips. Anytime A sees me putting it on my own lips, she has to have some too :)

A has had the worst nappies since Sunday. She had a bit of a fever on Sunday afternoon but has been grand since. She's still eating albeit a bit less than usual. I'm presuming it could be teething related as she is chewing on everything and grinding her teeth.

Sound like teething xdancer! But sure it's impossible to know! Hope she's ok and not too sore!!

How strange - try make the most of the naps! Soon you'll be trying to coordinate 2 naps so you can nab one!! Ahhhh the thoughts.. Terrifying isn't it!!

Well her lip is really quite blistery rather than chapped so I phoned Laura healthcare nurse and he thinks it could be fever blisters? Basically a cold sore infection but that's n her whole system causing temp etc! So doc tomorrow for sure! But nothing to worry about he said!
    And there was I thinking we'd at least get a tooth out of it.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

L finally got his first tooth on New Years day at the age of 10 months! Was absolutely delighted to feel something sharp when I gave him my finger to chew on! :D

[Quote=dublinlady;

Well her lip is really quite blistery rather than chapped so I phoned Laura healthcare nurse and he thinks it could be fever blisters? Basically a cold sore infection but that's n her whole system causing temp etc! So doc tomorrow for sure! But nothing to worry about he said!
    And there was I thinking we'd at least get a tooth out of it.... :([/Quote]

Horrible horrible day today - she was so sick :( didn't get a nap at all but passed out in bed now so all good!

Congrats on the tooth ivy! We got 2 at 8&1/2 months and 2 months later nothing else! Altho her cousin was 13 months before he got one!!

Ah DL that's very tough for all of you. Hopefully she'll start to feel better tomorrow or Friday.

• Advertisement

Ah the poor little thing DL. I hope she feels better soon. Must be hard on you too.

A got her first 2 teeth at 5 and a half months, and then nothing until 10 months. Within 2 weeks she had 8 and now at nearly 13 months tooth number 9 has appeared.
    I was told that the longer they take to come through, the stronger they are.

I was told that the longer they take to come through, the stronger they are.[/Quote]
    Ah dont say that. A is 8 months and has 5 with the 6th one visable. Ive terrible teeth and an awful fear of dentists so want to make sure hers are ok. She has a huge gap between top 2, people keep telling me when others come through more they wil push the front ones closer. Anyone else have this.

DL i hope she gets better soon. Poor lil divil.

Oh no, J had 7 teeth by 8.5 months :O

Had J at the doctors today. He's has horrible runny nappies for the past week & then this morning he had a high temperature so I thought better to be safe than sorry. Turns out his immune system was a bit low from fighting off the tummy bug that he picked up a respiratory virus too :-(
    He's gone off his food slightly but not enough for me to be too worried. No much I can do for him but give him Calpol, a pillow under his mattress & putting some Karvol on a face cloth attached to his cot, other than that I just have to let it run it's course.
    He's such a happy little boy though, he just takes it all in his stride & with a smile on his face ♡

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Oh no, J had 7 teeth by 8.5 months :O

Had J at the doctors today. He's has horrible runny nappies for the past week & then this morning he had a high temperature so I thought better to be safe than sorry. Turns out his immune system was a bit low from fighting off the tummy bug that he picked up a respiratory virus too :-(
    He's gone off his food slightly but not enough for me to be too worried. No much I can do for him but give him Calpol, a pillow under his mattress & putting some Karvol on a face cloth attached to his cot, other than that I just have to let it run it's course.
    He's such a happy little boy though, he just takes it all in his stride & with a smile on his face ♡

Oh all the sick babbies!! :(

Get well soon to J! Like that one minute A is burning a high fever screaming and miserable - the next she's flying across the house to pet the dog giggling!
    My moral is.. Keep the nurofen and calpol levels up!
    Let it be the weekend soon.... Work is driving me demented!! Roll on maternity leave!!! Hmmm.... Quite a while to go for that...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Suucee wrote: »
    Ah dont say that. A is 8 months and has 5 with the 6th one visable. Ive terrible teeth and an awful fear of dentists so want to make sure hers are ok. She has a huge gap between top 2, people keep telling me when others come through more they wil push the front ones closer. Anyone else have this.

DL i hope she gets better soon. Poor lil divil.

Same here - 4 teeth by 6 months, 8 teeth by 9 months, 12 teeth by 14 months.

Succee, your little one doesn't by any chance have a lip tie? Mine has and therefore has a big gap between her top 2 teeth. Got a referral to Tallaght Hospital about it, but the consultant said that they don't snip it anymore, as it can have an effect of the stability of teeth. He said he can't tell if it'll close up when she gets adult teeth & if not, she want braces when she's older for cosmetic reasons.

• Advertisement

Re the teeth. Sorry, it's only what I have heard. No idea if it's true or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Succee, your little one doesn't by any chance have a lip tie? Mine has and therefore has a big gap between her top 2 teeth. Got a referral to Tallaght Hospital about it, but the consultant said that they don't snip it anymore, as it can have an effect of the stability of teeth. He said he can't tell if it'll close up when she gets adult teeth & if not, she want braces when she's older for cosmetic reasons.

There is a very slow slight increase in paediatricians and dentists that will snip lip tie.
    It's only a bit of skin essentially (especially when they're younger).
    R has a fairly chunky one, they're common enough along side tongue ties.

Just had to google lip tie as never heard of it. Just had a quick luck and nearly lost a finger in the process. Couldnt see anything but didnt get much a chance to look. She was tired and narky so left her for tonight (in bed now) . Ill have a better look tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

My little girl had small gap inbetween teeth but it closed when she got more teeth. She has them all now

good luck today tigress ....dunno how you've dealt with the first year...recovering from a section and being pregnant.

hope all goes well xxx

good luck today tigress ....dunno how you've dealt with the first year...recovering from a section and being pregnant.

hope all goes well xxx

Thanks Hannibal :) it's been a toughie!

Just to let ya know I had baby Evan at 9:15am weighing 8lb 8oz! Not as big as his big brother! I'll post in the pregnancy thread tomorrow on how I got on.. Just fed him so it's time for sleep :)

Hope all the sick babies are feeling much better xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Tigeress wrote: »

Just to let ya know I had baby Evan at 9:15am weighing 8lb 8oz! Not as big as his big brother! I'll post in the pregnancy thread tomorrow on how I got on.. Just fed him so it's time for sleep :)

Congrats Tigress! That is great news, I hope you are both doing well :) xx

Congrats. Hope mum and baby doing good.

Congrats Tigeress, another good sized baby, love his name.
    Hope mum & baby are well x

Congratulations Tigress! Can't believe you have two now, doesn't seem that long since your first pregnancy announcement on the TTC board!

• Advertisement
Advertisement