Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Woo E is 12 days old and I'm back in my pre pregnancy clothes :D they're even loose! Delighted with myself! Now all I have to do is not fall pregnant again..
    I'm on 2 minds on getting the implant but just don't know.. I wanted to get the coil but because I've had sections I'd have to go into hospital and be put out to get it in! The pill worked for years for us but didn't after N was born.. Has anyone got the implant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

*sigh* we've had a death in the family...my folks dog went to the big farm in the sky.

anyhow there we were..myself and the eldest lad and I thought oh how do I explain this....so I ended up bottling it and telling him the dog went to a farm :o

I felt so bad for lying...but he knows nothing about death so I didnt know what to say and thought id save the pain of knowing about it till needs be...ie when a relative dies.

oh the sadness of it all!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Wow tigeress thats great.
    I think i might try a bit of conditioner im all out at the mo so havent tried it yet. The tangle teezer looks great but her hair isnt long enough yet (still might get one for down the line). What my problem is is at the back her hair is pretty fine and when she moves around it seems to get knotted, its very frizzy just in the part also and sticks out. when i comb the knots out the hair is very broken in that part. Hopefully the conditioner will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ah hannibal i dread having to explain that. My uncle passed away on sunday and was buried this morning. I cant imagine how hard it would be to try to explain all this to a child also. It was horrible to see my mum cry and it was like A knew something was wrong. My mum was holding her and A just leaned in and gave her a lovely cuddle (they can be few and far between unless she is tired).

At what stage did everyone start using tooth paste with the kiddies? N is 12 months and up until now I've just been using the finger tooth brush with water but I think I might start using a proper tooth brush.. He only has 4 teeth :) just wondering should I use tooth paste too?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it's generally not recommended until 2yrs but I could be wrong.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I use a proper baby brush - he loves it. I have a tube of tesco 0-2yr paste but I put the barest scrape on the brush.

I really need some advise.. N is very ill he can't keep anything down even water.. He just destroyed his cot with vomit & we had to bath him to get him clean.. I have to take him into my bed for the night & my OH will sleep in the single bed in the spare room. I'm so worried about him but even more so that E who is only 2 weeks tomorrow might catch it! He's so small :( he won't sleep in a basket or cot so he'll be on my opposite side to N in the bed aswell.. What should I do?! Will E be ok if he catches whatever this is? Chances are if it is contagious ill prob get it as N has been clung to me all day..

I think babies have a kind of inbuilt immunity until 6 or 12 weeks one or the other and the fact that you're breastfeeding increases that immunity.

that said it doesn't always work and I guess its a decision you'll have to make...bearing in mind you don't know what N has (or do you ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tigress could your hubbie take N on a mattress on the floor if no other single bed? But as Hannibal said - because E has been breastfed he has lots of ur antibodies to help protect him! With N's age if he's still like that tomorrow I'd phone the doc to see what he says - he might recommend dioralyte to make sure he's not dehydrated but if he's keeping nothing down at all you'll need to keep an eye - but if its only come on tonight don't stress until tomorrow about the fluids - but I'd be phoning doc in morn to get advise!
    U poor thing :( I think u need ur hubbie to help tonight - you have enough with Evan - when ur up feeding him u can keep an eye on N but ur gonna need some rest too :(

• Advertisement

Wow Tigeress that's a lot to deal with. Definitely watch for signs of dehydration tomorrow. We were told to give our son diorilyte when he was 15 months old by doctors in Crumlin. He got very dehydrated in November when he had the vomiting/gastric thing so I let him have as much juice as he wanted and mixed diorilyte into it. He never usually gets juice do it was a bit of a treat for him, poor lad!

As for your baby as others have said the breast milk will help him fight any bugs or viruses in the house. You'll be vmcreating the antibodies and passing them to him through the milk. Also don't forget to take care of yourself in the middle of all of this.

Thanks ladies that's put my mind at ease a little.. I have E's 2 week check up with the Doc tomorrow morning so N will be coming along to be seen! I took N in between feeds and settled him in our bed and then my OH took him and I've gone to the single bed with E, more so that they don't wake each other During the night! He wasn't feeling himself the last 2 days and yest he got sick twice but drank loads and ate a few bits today it's so much worse though.. He just can't keep anything down, he managed a few bits before bed and drank his bottle so I thought he was feeling better until he started crying and I went to check on him and he was lying in a cotbed full of vomit :( I had to throw him into the bath just to get it off him.. I could have put him back into his cot as I stripped it and re made it but I'd be panicking all night so I think it's best to have someone with him.. It's gonna be a rough night & hopefully no more vomit! My OH can't handle it so I've been cleaning it all up :(

ah tigress that's rough. hope n is better today. when times like this strike with the kids my mother always says this too will pass....and it will xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Ah Tigress that can't be easy. I hope N feels better soon and that little E (or yourself!) don't catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The 6-12 week immunity thing is a bit of an urban myth. For some reason some people seem to believe that babies are utterly immune from all illness during that period. The baby has a certain level of antibodies in their system from the mother after birth and for a few weeks. If breastfeeding, this transfer of antibodies continues for a good deal longer.

This doesn't make babies immune from everything, it just gives them an extra defence. If they encounter something which their mother's body struggles against, then of course they will struggle too. So while a newborn is less likely to get minor coughs and sniffles than say a six month old, they will not be immune to stronger infections like the vomiting bug

I hope you slept OK last night Tigress and your young one is feeling better. I think your solution of moving yourself and the newborn into the single bed is the correct one.

I was told by my gp and phn that babies have an immunity from birth that is supposed to be with them for up to 6 to 12 week. so I wasn't picking it up from hearsay...just repeating what I was told.

I'm also only too aware that this immunity doesn't always work, which is what I already said. my youngest caught th chicken pox from the eldest at only 6 weeks. gp and phn were stunned...having said that although he was covered in marks he didn't suffer the horrendous itching the eldest did.

so although anecdotal and not scientific the immunity did play a small part in protecting the youngest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was told by my gp and phn that babies have an immunity from birth that is supposed to be with them for up to 6 to 12 week. so I wasn't picking it up from hearsay...just repeating what I was told.

I'm also only too aware that this immunity doesn't always work, which is what I already said. my youngest caught th chicken pox from the eldest at only 6 weeks. gp and phn were stunned...having said that although he was covered in marks he didn't suffer the horrendous itching the eldest did.

so although anecdotal and not scientific the immunity did play a small part in protecting the youngest.
    I think what they mean though, is that they get their immunity from you at birth, that lasts several weeks. So they are immune to things you were already immune to, but not to new viruses that you come in contact with. Not sure I understand it correctly though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm also only too aware that this immunity doesn't always work, which is what I already said.
    Sorry, that wasn't really directed at you, just flapping my gums really. My mother who was a paediatric nurse for 15 years uses the "natural immunity" line when she has a cold but wants to hold the baby. She gets annoyed when I tell her she's talking crap :D

seamus wrote: »
    Sorry, that wasn't really directed at you, just flapping my gums really. My mother who was a paediatric nurse for 15 years uses the "natural immunity" line when she has a cold but wants to hold the baby. She gets annoyed when I tell her she's talking crap :D

lol that's okay sorry for jumping at you. I would be reluctant to let some one hold a baby if they had a cold no matter if Stephen hawkins said it was safe ;)

I think what they mean though, is that they get their immunity from you at birth, that lasts several weeks. So they are immune to things you were already immune to, but not to new viruses that you come in contact with. Not sure I understand it correctly though!

but I was immune to the chicken pox...well when I say immune I had them when I was a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

but I was immune to the chicken pox...well when I say immune I had them when I was a kid.

Immunities to chickenpox wanes, so having had chicken pox as a child is no guarantee that you will pass an immunity to it on to your baby. If you still have your chart for that pregnancy you might be able to see if you are still immune or not as, afaik, chicken pox immunity is routinely tested for during 2nd tri pregnancy blood tests.

iguana wrote: »

Immunities to chickenpox wanes, so having had chicken pox as a child is no guarantee that you will pass an immunity to it on to your baby. If you still have your chart for that pregnancy you might be able to see if you are still immune or not as, afaik, chicken pox immunity is routinely tested for during 2nd tri pregnancy blood tests.

I must be immune because I never caught it when the pair of them had it?

I really should have paid more attention in those awful immunology lectures in college. :( I know NOTHING!

I really should have paid more attention in those awful immunology lectures in college. :( I know NOTHING!

lol ivy! you could be educating the lot of us here! can you not give your lecturer a call ;)

Poor A has bronchiolitis :(
    She will be on an inhaler for the next 25 days and antibiotics for the next 8 days.
    Her first antibiotic :(

Looks like I started a debate :o hehe

N seems to be feeling better today thankfully.. Went to the Doc and he thinks its a gastric bug that's going around! He's kept a small breakfast down so far and just gave him some dinner so hopefully that'll stay down too! He's drank alot so far which I'm delighted with as he couldn't yesterday! So fingers crossed! All I have to do now is figure out how to clean the foam part of his mattress :o I washed the putter cover and sheets but its stained the foam itself..

Thanks for all the replies :) it's great to have somewhere to go and ask & get advise!

E has settled into a less feeding routine finally.. He's going every 2-3 hours now woo! He weights 8lb 13oz 2 weeks after he's was born so I'm chuffed!

Xdancer wrote: »
    Poor A has bronchiolitis :(
    She will be on an inhaler for the next 25 days and antibiotics for the next 8 days.
    Her first antibiotic :(

Oh no :( poor little mite! The antibiotics usually kick in after about 2-3 days and she'll hopefully start improving! Hope she feels better soon.. There really is nothing worse than your baby being sick :( it's horrible! Big hugs x

Tigeress wrote: »

Oh no :( poor little mite! The antibiotics usually kick in after about 2-3 days and she'll hopefully start improving! Hope she feels better soon.. There really is nothing worse than your baby being sick :( it's horrible! Big hugs x

Thanks Tigeress. Amazingly enough she's in great form. Full of her usual giggles between coughs. :)

Glad to hear N is feeling better.

I was told that babies born by vaginal birth have an immunity that those born by c section don't as when a baby is being pushed through the birth canal it takes a bit of its mothers poo (eek!) which gives it it's mothers bacteria and then creates antibodies.

I don't know if that's true or not or if my understanding is a bit simplistic and I absolutely definitely do not want to start a vaginal v c section debate. That's just what I was told by a nurse after my son was born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I was told that babies born by vaginal birth have an immunity that those born by c section don't as when a baby is being pushed through the birth canal it takes a bit of its mothers poo (eek!) which gives it it's mothers bacteria and then creates antibodies.

I don't know if that's true or not or if my understanding is a bit simplistic and I absolutely definitely do not want to start a vaginal v c section debate. That's just what I was told by a nurse after my son was born.

Hehe - I think it would be really funny if a debate started on section vs natural on the basis of poo :) that is the mature side coming out in me... I'm full of sh%t ;)

I can't take part in any debates cos I'm totally drained from work and coming home to see my little one pulling herself up on things to standing for the first time! Then - at first attempt she clambered up the stairs!!!!!! Mental! Excited!!!!!!!! And slightly frightened!!

Hugs to A xdancer!!

Hope N gets well soon tigress!

dublinlady wrote: »

I can't take part in any debates cos I'm totally drained from work and coming home to see my little one pulling herself up on things to standing for the first time! Then - at first attempt she clambered up the stairs!!!!!! Mental! Excited!!!!!!!! And slightly frightened!!

Hugs to A xdancer!!

Hope N gets well soon tigress!

Good for her! :)

Got to love the social security system here. Just picked up A's prescription - ventolin inhaler, nebulizer and 2 different oral drops - all for €4.30! :)

hope A is better soon xdancer xxx

Aww DL that's brill! Well done Aine! It won't be long now till she's running rings around you :)

Our son knows there's a baby on the way. I drew a picture of mammy, daddy and him and then drew a baby and he gave me a knowing look. They're just so much more clever than we give them credit for.

Our son knows there's a baby on the way. I drew a picture of mammy, daddy and him and then drew a baby and he gave me a knowing look. They're just so much more clever than we give them credit for.

Aww that's so cute :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hope all the sick babies are better.

E got her injections fri and so far no real reaction. Slightly more interested in being with mammy but not too much yet. Bit cranky tonight but then she was tired too and teething!

E has been attempting to climb the stairs for ages. Gets all excited but would only ever put one foot up on the step. Then the last few days she was getting up on just one step. Today she saw her cousin do it and 10 mins later her cousin was gone and E went the hole way up the stairs. Obviously i was behind her but i let her go to see if she would go the hole way and the excitement on her little face when she reached the top :D. Stairs gate going up now but im proud of her little achievement:D even though i know we will have to be extra extra careful now.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Ahhhh aged 9months and 6days my little girl finally rolled over all by herself.. and I'm so proud I could cry ahhhhh

That's all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ahhhh aged 9months and 6days my little girl finally rolled over all by herself.. and I'm so proud I could cry ahhhhh

That's all :)

J's the same age & has never willingly rolled over!!
    He craweling around goodo & is starting to pull himself up on thing but never rolled over!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Ms2011 wrote: »

J's the same age & has never willingly rolled over!!
    He craweling around goodo & is starting to pull himself up on thing but never rolled over!

It would drive you mad waiting and wishing. She's not crawling or anything, was content sitting till she accidently rolled one day while propped by a cushion. She's currently lying on the floor rolling, being delighted with herself, waiting for me to roll her back... And so the cycle begins.

I'm sure in a few hours ill b cursing the day I ever wished for her to move :)

Aww congrats to all the achievements :) exciting times hehe

I've put E onto to formula now.. I know alot of women go alot further than 2 weeks but I'm pretty happy with that! I've given him a good start (I do feel guilty about stopping, but have my reasons) I forgot how painful boobs get though!
    If he sleeps in the bed with me he goes 3-4 hours between feeds at night but we've started the battle of putting him into his basket & he goes 2 hours between feeds, taking a good half hour to feed him so we're still exhausted! I did my 1st night & morning on my own with the 2 of them yesterday & on no sleep I think I did quite well :) it was akward trying to feed them both at the same time as both were crying at me but we got there..
    I always thought I'd go to 3 & maybe in time I'll feel different but right now I don't want anymore kids ever lol! My OH wasn't too pleased hearing it but sure I'm just getting him used to the idea of 2 just encase ;)

• Advertisement

Tigeress be careful not to let yourself get too engorged. Hand express a little to ease the fullness if it feels uncomfortable.

2 weeks already!! Congrats!

Tigeress be careful not to let yourself get too engorged. Hand express a little to ease the fullness if it feels uncomfortable.

2 weeks already!! Congrats!

Oh really? I'm very full and sore so I'll do that when I have my shower this morning!

Yes, be very careful as you'd get blocked ducts and mastitis very quickly at this stage as you're producing a lot of milk. Save the milk in sterile bags if you have any as it's great for sticky eyes etc.

Try not to trigger your letdown unnecessarily so avoid putting hot water from a shower on your breasts.

lol tigress ...its amazing how you forget the early days isn't it. you really do forget the tiredness.

2 weeks...that's flown in. how's N with the bug?

we put the lads in together because the baby room has 2 outside walls and is freezing...so we moved the cot into the other room. the chattering between the two of them is very funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi all, E R turned 1 last Friday, can't believe where that year went:eek:
    She thoroughly enjoyed having family over, and stuck her foot into her birthday cake!
    I did some moaning on here that she wouldn't eat home made dinner. Literally overnight, about a month ago now, she started to eat what we were eating. It makes life so much easier. Still doesn't want juice or water though. Four teeth now, too.
    She's just beginning to walk a little, holding on to the sofa. She got herself up the stairs the other day, with daddy behind her. All she wants is to be down, and into mischief. It's eyes in the back of head time for sure now! Jesus, it's exhausting though. She does not want to stay still for anything, so getting her dressed, or her nappy changed, makes me feel like I've just run a marathon:(. Hat's off to those of ye that are pregnant too:D

Yes, be very careful as you'd get blocked ducts and mastitis very quickly at this stage as you're producing a lot of milk. Save the milk in sterile bags if you have any as it's great for sticky eyes etc.

Try not to trigger your letdown unnecessarily so avoid putting hot water from a shower on your breasts.

I've never heard if using it on sticky eyes?! That's amazing! I tried hand expressing but I'm just too sore.. I've read online that you can do cold turkey (so to speak) and a let down?! I don't have a pump though & don't wanna buy one for a few days use.. My friend suggested using a heated face cloth then trying to express..

Hannibal I know lol! I knew we wouldn't get any sleep but I feel like I wasn't prepared lol! I'm coping alot better than my OH though! Think I was used to not sleeping while pregnant he however is drained! He even takes a daytime nap to recover :) I don't mind as its usually during N's nap time!

Happy birthday to little cat :)

Tigeress yes a little heat would be good to stimulate the milk but if you have a full let down then your body thinks you've fed your baby and will produce the same quantity again. Just see how you get on but cold turkey and breasts full of milk don't usually work well. A tiny bit of hand expressing just to relieve the soreness will help. Chilled cabbage leaves in your bra too. They contain an enzyme which helps with engorgement. Quite stinky when they heat up but they work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh Tigeress, its all coming back to me now!!

Both of them hungry and crying at me and me thinking 'how did I get myself into this, NEVER AGAIN!

Fair play to you.
    Well my little guy is 1 on Monday, if you asked me 50 weeks ago, I would have said I'd have a breakdown by this time, but it just gets easier and easier every day.

I love having the two of them in one room, listening to them talking all night, but not sleeping!

They will both be going to crèche together the day he is one and will go 2 afternoons a week after that. I will finally be on my own in the house without either of them, cant wait!

He was at the PHN for his 1 yr check up last week, his sister came too. She lost the plot when the nurse wanted to examine his scrotum, she was so upset that the nurse had to sit her down beside her brother to hold his hand!

He's walking around the furniture so fast now he can catch his sister, but still no teeth! Surly he wont make it to 1 year plus without teeth?

aww protective big sister so sweet.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh Tigeress, its all coming back to me now!!

Both of them hungry and crying at me and me thinking 'how did I get myself into this, NEVER AGAIN!

Fair play to you.
    Well my little guy is 1 on Monday, if you asked me 50 weeks ago, I would have said I'd have a breakdown by this time, but it just gets easier and easier every day.

I love having the two of them in one room, listening to them talking all night, but not sleeping!

They will both be going to crèche together the day he is one and will go 2 afternoons a week after that. I will finally be on my own in the house without either of them, cant wait!

He was at the PHN for his 1 yr check up last week, his sister came too. She lost the plot when the nurse wanted to examine his scrotum, she was so upset that the nurse had to sit her down beside her brother to hold his hand!

He's walking around the furniture so fast now he can catch his sister, but still no teeth! Surly he wont make it to 1 year plus without teeth?
    Oh I'd say that'll be lovely when they start going to the creche!

A cousin-in-law, her son got his first tooth at 13 months, so it can happen (she was pestering the doctor at the end, she thought he would have no teeth). My little man only got his first tooth at 10.5 months, and there is a girl in the mum and baby group who got her first tooth last week at 12 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement