Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was kinda prepared for it as his sister was 10 and a half months, but seriously. When I say to friends he's teething again, they say, oh, eye teeth, back teeth?

I say no, ANY teeth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

8 months and not a tooth here either, she gets a bout of teething every few weeks and then nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just spotted a great deal on Groupon & bought it for my pregnant friend:
    Lindam Baby Heartbeat Monitor from €7.99 (Up to 76% Off)
    I was the same but my friend is pregnant after 6 years of trying & a round of IVF so I think she'd like the reassurance as I think she is in a constant state of 'waiting for the rug to be pulled from under her' :-)

Can't believe I posted the above in the Pregnant Thread just last week and this week my poor friend has lost her precious baby girl:(
    A scan showed no heart beat on Wednesday, she's giving birth to her little angel today, I am absolutely devastated for her :(:(
    In the cruelest of ironies the heartbeat monitor I had bought her above came in the post this morning:(:(:(

Hope no one minds me posting this here (I know there are pregnant ladies reading this thread) I'm just trying to keep busy while I'm waiting to hear news, I can't clean my house anymore, I've even finally organised in date order all the photo's taking of J since he was born in the baby album I got as a present this time last year at my baby shower. Just so heartbroken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Can't believe I posted the above in the Pregnant Thread just last week and this week my poor friend has lost her precious baby girl:(
    A scan showed no heart beat on Wednesday, she's giving birth to her little angel today, I am absolutely devastated for her :(:(
    In the cruelest of ironies the heartbeat monitor I had bought her above came in the post this morning:(:(:(

Hope no one minds me posting this here (I know there are pregnant ladies reading this thread) I'm just trying to keep busy while I'm waiting to hear news, I can't clean my house anymore, I've even finally organised in date order all the photo's taking of J since he was born in the baby album I got as a present this time last year at my baby shower. Just so heartbroken.
    That is absolutely awful, god love that poor woman and the babys daddy. Such a horrible thing to have to go through.
    RIP that poor little angel xx

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Ms2011. Thats absolutely heartbreaking for her and her partner. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Oh Ms2011 I'm so sorry to hear that. How devasting for your friend and her partner :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh Ms how awful. Im so sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ms2011 that's heartbreaking for your friend and her partner. Some people go through absolute hell trying to have children. It makes me realize how lucky and privileged I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ms so sorry to hear about your friend...that is such sad news :(

hugs to you all xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

So sorry to hear that MS! That poor girl and her OH :( devastating!

We're having an awful time here.. Evan sleeps all day and stays awake all night :( N stays awake all day and sleeps all night, they're in cohoots! I'm convinced of it!
    I found some blood in E's nappy on Thurs night so yest I brought him to the GP who send us straight to Paeds Casualty.. After hours of waiting they've kept him in :( so me & him spent the night in hospital last night & waiting on the docs to come around now to see if they have any results for us & see what's happening! They're thinking its either an infection or he's lactose intolerant.. He's very healthy apart from the bad nappies! I'm worried sick :( thankfully the ward was empty so they gave us a private room, needless to say I didn't sleep & am counting down the mins till the Docs get here with answers.. Did anyone else have this??
    Hope it's ok to post after MS's awful news..

oh no tigress hope Evan is okay and te docs don't leave you waiting too long :(

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah Tigeress, poor E :(

Hopefully the doctors sort him out very soon. You might find that once this problem is out of the way, his sleeping might settle a bit.

Little Ruby-Grace was born asleep last night. All credit to the hospital staff they treated her no different than if she'd been born alive, right down to putting a tiny nappy on her. My friend got to have her with her for a few hours & will see her again before she goes home. She's devastated but coping for now.

Tigeress so sorry to hear about E, I hope you get some answers soon. Were his nappies ok while you were b'feeding, he could well be having a reaction to the formula x

Little Ruby-Grace was born asleep last night. All credit to the hospital staff they treated her no different than if she'd been born alive, right down to putting a tiny nappy on her. My friend got to have her with her for a few hours & will see her again before she goes home. She's devastated but coping for now.

Tigeress so sorry to hear about E, I hope you get some answers soon. Were his nappies ok while you were b'feeding, he could well be having a reaction to the formula x

that's just heartbreaking ...how many weekswa she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

That's so horrible ms - devastating :(

Tigeress - hope poor Evan ok!

Wmpd- my nephew was 15 months before he got a tooth!!

73 cat - ur little one sounds just like my little girl! Just cruising furniture now and made it up the stairs the other day too! Nappy time is a nightmare! And if possible she's going thru the terrible 2's at 11 months!!!!! Having total strops when she doesn't get her way or isn't able to get down and crawl!! I'm terrified she's going to be really bold - we keep trying to say no, and ah ah etc but doesn't seem to help!

Finding it a little trickier now with her on the move and the pregnancy! My back is playing up and all the bending is killing me!
    She's started to notice me belly now - hitting it!! Haha!! Hope that's not a sign of things to come!!

She's started saying a few more words now which is so adorable! Just things like miaow and cat ! Funny tho cos we have a dog and she won't say woof!! Not sure what the cat thing is about!!

25 weeks, baby weighed just 285gs :-(

To lose a pregnancy at any stage is heart breaking but to lose at 25 weeks after 6 yrs of ivf is devastating and cruel :(

dublinlady wrote: »
    To lose a pregnancy at any stage is heart breaking but to lose at 25 weeks after 6 yrs of ivf is devastating and cruel :(

This was just her 1st round of IVF though she's been ttc for 6 years & has had several surgeries for blocked tubes & fibroid not to mention all the procedures running up to the egg extracton for the IVF itself.
    In that tine she's watched countless friends & relations have babies ( myself included ) & never once begrudged them though she must have been dying inside. I think that's what makes this all the more cruel, this should have been her time, no one deserved it more :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

This was just her 1st round of IVF though she's been ttc for 6 years & has had several surgeries for blocked tubes & fibroid not to mention all the procedures running up to the egg extracton for the IVF itself.
    In that tine she's watched countless friends & relations have babies ( myself included ) & never once begrudged them though she must have been dying inside. I think that's what makes this all the more cruel, this should have been her time, no one deserved it more :-(

I don't post here very often but read all the time and this has me in tears. My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and all those close to her.

I also hope you're home safe and well with your little boy Tigeress.

• Advertisement

that is so sad :( such a cruel thing to happen

It's been a crazy few days here! E is out of hospital thankfully & doing well! They still think he's lactose intolerant but won't know till later in the week when we get the results back..
    N is teething terrible at the mo :( he has 4 teeth and the ones either side of his top teeth are coming through & his gums are roaring red, even eating is hurting the poor little man :(
    N has started hitting :o he started yesterday afternoon & keeps doing it! He even hit E on the head cause I was feeding him :o needless to say he's been given out to and made sit on the sofa as a time out! He bawls crying when he's given out to, we try explain what he's done that's wrong (not that he understands) & then make him say sorry & then let him go play again.. I hope it works! Any suggestions?
    When I say he's given out to we don't shout just sternly tell him off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

So sorry to read about your friend Ms2011, it's heartbreaking.

Tigress, maybe this article will be useful. I know N is a lot younger than the child in it, but a lot of the emotions will be the same. http://www.ahaparenting.com/ask-the-doctor-1/preschooler-jealous-of-baby-developing-attitude

Tigeress wrote: »
    It's been a crazy few days here! E is out of hospital thankfully & doing well! They still think he's lactose intolerant but won't know till later in the week when we get the results back..
    N is teething terrible at the mo :( he has 4 teeth and the ones either side of his top teeth are coming through & his gums are roaring red, even eating is hurting the poor little man :(
    N has started hitting :o he started yesterday afternoon & keeps doing it! He even hit E on the head cause I was feeding him :o needless to say he's been given out to and made sit on the sofa as a time out! He bawls crying when he's given out to, we try explain what he's done that's wrong (not that he understands) & then make him say sorry & then let him go play again.. I hope it works! Any suggestions?
    When I say he's given out to we don't shout just sternly tell him off..

Dito!!!!!

But not for long.

I didnt explain at the time, just lift up, put on step, tell her what she did and say stay there, 1.5 mins later tell her what she did, tell her to say sorry, big hug and a smile.

She was 15 months at the time so I dont think an explanation more than 4 sentences went in.

I remember the horrible feeling putting down a hungry feeding baby to do time out, it really pulled at the heart strings.

The worst of it was about 4 weeks long, then only maybe twice a week, now its all him pulling her curls.

MS2011, terrible news.... have no other words...

Cant believe A is 9 months today, where has that gone.
    It has just flown by. Its scary.
    I brought her to gymboree for the first time on sat. As i work i dont get a chance to bring her to any mother and baby groups. So i decided to bring her to let her spend some time with kids more her own age. I have a niece who is a month younger but she only see's her maybe once every 2 weeks other than that all her cousins are 5 and upwards.
    Well it was deffinetly worth it. She had a ball. She was the youngest baby and only one not on her feet and by the end she was getting annoyed that she couldnt move or do what they were doing. I was holding her dancing and she kept wrigling to get down so i put her standing while i held on and she was clapping her hands and screeching away.
    Ever since its like she is on a mission to get moving. before this she was quiet happy when on her tummy she can go round in circles or backwards now she is trying to get forward. she cant get up on her knees and when i put her in a crawling position she rocks for a few seconds and then goes back on to tummy. When she is sitting up she can turn around also but she is also trying to move forward and is getting so annoyed that she cant move where she wants to . When sitting she moves forward gets one leg bent and under her but gets the other stuck then pushes her self forward (while i nearly have a heart attack):eek: and lands on her tummy again to which she then gets so thick and starts giving out and saying ma ma ma.
    Im hoping she gets going soon. (im also terrified at the same time) Sometimes when in your arms she start pushing and trying to get down then on the floor she is fine for a while until she see's a toy out of her reach or it rolls away and she then trys and trys to move towards it but just cant and she gets soooo thick. I think we have a fiesty one on our hands.:)

Thanks Iguana that article makes loads of sense, the kids are alot older than my 2 but some good tips & makes me think differently about how he's acting..

Thanks WMPDD, good to know that yours grew out of the worst of it :) he hasn't done anything since with E but as my OH is back in work next week I'm thinking it might start back up as I'll have no help to take one while the other acts up.. Hopefully I'm wrong though lol!

Sauucee that's brill that she's starting to move about :) it's mad how quick they can pick things up once they realise that they can do something :) she'll just take off out of no where now! Hope you're ready hehe!
    N was trying to crawl on & off for a few days and then one evening just crawled across the living room floor and that was it!

Suucee that's how J started off he's now flying around, not on his hands & knees but on his belly like a little sniper :-D Has his clothes filthy :-\
    He's delighted with himself though that he can go where he wants & get to toys that are out of reach, this makes things a bit easier for me in someways as he can entertain himself alot more now but at the same time he can also get to things he shouldn't have easier too, he's obsessed with wires & cable :-/

Little man started creche with his sister, for 3 hours today, before I went to work I was alone in the house. I can remember the last time that happened.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Little man started creche with his sister, for 3 hours today, before I went to work I was alone in the house. I can remember the last time that happened.

Aww! Wereyou dreading leaving both of them? I always do but enjoy the quiet time too hehe :o how'd they get on?

A has figured out how to move forward on her tummy, uses her hands to pull her self forward. I had her sitting on her bum in the sitting room on thurs and went out to make her milk. When i turned to come back she was in the hall. I didnt have a clue how she got there. I though i had put her there. Then i put her back in the sitting room on her tummy and off she went again. Shes doing it so much more now. Its so funny watching her go.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any tips in regard to brushing a 13 month olds teeth? He just refuses point blank, he used to let me but now he just clamps his mouth shut & that's it :(
    I'm worried that his teeth might go bad? He doesn't get any sweets & all his good is home cooked.. I even let him pick a tooth brush in the shops but nothing..

Tigeress wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips in regard to brushing a 13 month olds teeth? He just refuses point blank, he used to let me but now he just clamps his mouth shut & that's it :(
    I'm worried that his teeth might go bad? He doesn't get any sweets & all his good is home cooked.. I even let him pick a tooth brush in the shops but nothing..

I had the same problem at one stage with A. I gave her my toothbrush to brush my teeth, and then she'd let me do hers.
    When she is teething she tends to be more reluctant to let us do it.

I do a mixture of brushing the teddys teeth, her brushing my teeth, anything! tbh, her back teeth never get a good brush.

I was grand about leaving them, but when I got back into the car and thought to myself, I HAVE NO KIDS!! and I'm not going to work, I was so giddy, so I went to the bak machine, without a double buggy and tackling 4 sets of car seat straps, it was highly enjoyable!

Yesterday after 53 weeks my son finally got a tooth. His ass looks like pizza, he is costing me a bomb in over the counter creams and medicine but hopefully he'll be like his sister and the teeth will fly up like mushrooms.

Both kids have decided to sleep head down, bum in the air, she used to do this but has regresses to doing it again as she can see him doing it. Only problem is, they're nappys are leaking at the belly (yes his penis is down!)

So now I have day nappies and night nappies and my other half thinks I really have lost the plot.

On holidays this week, no swapping kids in the college car park, its great.

SIL had a baby girl today (on her 41st birthday :D) which to my suprise has made me feel really broody :eek:
    Getting married in just over a year & J is getting more of a handful everyday so I think I'll have to silence that inner voice that's screaming at the moment REPRODUCE :D;)

SIL had a baby girl today (on her 41st birthday :D) which to my suprise has made me feel really broody :eek:
    Getting married in just over a year & J is getting more of a handful everyday so I think I'll have to silence that inner voice that's screaming at the moment REPRODUCE :D;)[/Quote
    Haha!
    Your in trouble now MS.... U can't silence it once it rears its crazy head!!!!!!!! U could have 2 page boys..... Or a little flower girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Hi everyone, my 6.5 month old has a tummy bug since Monday. She puked a few times but it stopped fairly fast.
    Now she just has diarhea but I'm worried that I'm not giving enough fluid.
    She is drinking say 5 8oz bottles with 8oz water and 5 scoops of powder and I'm trying my best to get her to drink it all and sip some water or diorolyte too.
    But I still think shes getting a bit dehydrated, she's sleepier than usual but not really lethargic I dont think and only a tiny bit cranky.

Her soft spot is a little sunken at times and then fine at other times,
    I'd say she has had 6runny nappies today.
    Do you think she sounds ok or should I bring her to the doctor tomorrow?
    (I know he won't give her anything unless shes dehydrated)

REally the best thing to do is get her to a PHN or doc just to be sure. Sounds fine to me but if mammy feels something is not right then I say get a second opinion. With my PHN, if you call the office before 9:15, she will arrange a metting with her during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Derinda

I took too long preparing L's lunch today (she's 19 months) and she bit me on the bum cheek to hurry me up! Think I might be raising a cannibal!

Java I 2nd WMPDD's post! If she's showing even the slightest signs if dehydration I'd bring her to the Doc or PHN to be safe! Hope Z feels better soon x

• Advertisement

Derinda wrote: »
    I took too long preparing L's lunch today (she's 19 months) and she bit me on the bum cheek to hurry me up! Think I might be raising a cannibal!
    That's hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

so i bit the bullet this week and got measured for a proper bra size. lets say i was a little disappointed.:( i went down one cup size after breastfeeding. they say it doesnt affect your size but i can tell you it does!!! im like a teenager!!:eek: took ages of fitting on to get one that looked alright on me too. responses from the lady were 'oh no that does nothing for you!' im like I KNOW!!!!

ah well i wouldnt change it for the world. fed her for 9 months and shes now a great 13 month old. standing on her own now and nearly took steps tonight.:D well she kinda took one step which i will count as her first steps if she walks when im in work tomorrow and sat!!;)

Lol MS! Newborns do have that affect don't they?!

I'm exhausted.. N has Rota Virus and the Doc thinks that, that's what maybe he's had in and off since before Xmas :( he might be re infecting himself from chewing in a toy! So we've disinfected everything with the detol spray that kills this particular virus, I'll be doing it each evening for the next few days in hope that it will final be gone! He's been crying all day and during the night, countless runny nappies (not fun) on wed he had 12! Literally running out if nappies an his clothes from leaks.. E is still waking at crazy hours wanting to play too so there's never a break for a nap! I feel so sorry for N, he has awful tummy cramps and swollen tummy from the wind.. I'm feeling so run diwn & fed up being stuck in doors :( (I know that sounds selfish!) maybe I should take some berocca lol!

Oh tigress that sound completely awful!!!! The poor little thing! I've also just realised I rarely clean A's toys.... I really should!!!

When changing from formula to cows milk.... Don't do it gradually? If A is used to warm formula can I give the cows milk warm? Does it fill them as much or should I expect her to eat more food? How much is normal? She gets 3 7 -8 oz bottles a day still and won't drink much water and needs those bottles! She's one on valentines day and I always said I'd change over when she's one and have 2 tubs of formula left just so wondering whether to bother buy more or not!!

It's mad she got her 2 bottom teeth almost 4 months ago and not a sign of another since!!!! I'm using teething as an excuse for everything and I really am beginning to wonder if more will ever come! Haha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ah Tigeress, you seem to be having a bad run of it at the moment. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Dublinlady maybe switch over gradually over the next 10-14 days. I always heat the milk slightly even now and he's 2 yrs. I guess he was used to breast milk being tepid so that's what I've always done with cows milk.

Check the guidelines for milk after 1 as it can be quite filling and can suppress their appetites so they wouldn't be getting a full range of vitamins and nutrients. A friend said her little one, 2.5yrs, was being checked for low iron and the gp reckoned it was because she was drinking too much milk.

My son was having 2 sippy cups of milk by 13 months but I'm not sure if that was good or bad. It's just how it worked for us as he was down to breastfeeding morning and evening and was taking water in between.

tigress ...how awful is that! poor N....jees I never thought of cleaning their toys, unless of course they were really manky ...but the poor little guy. how long will it take to clear do you think? hope you get some respite yourself x

• Advertisement

Ah Tigress you really seem to be having it tough. I hope poor little N will be better soon.
    I give A's toys a bit of a wipe down every now and then but should probably give them a good clean one of these days.

tigress ...how awful is that! poor N....jees I never thought of cleaning their toys, unless of course they were really manky ...but the poor little guy. how long will it take to clear do you think? hope you get some respite yourself x

I have to disinfect the house everyday for a week.. I don't min if it kills this dam virus! If you don't want to go scrubbing all their toys get the Detol Spray in the Aerosol Can! It's €4 but doesn't need to be wiped off, ya just spray it and leave it! It also kills the rota virus. It's so handy!

Thanks everyone :) I really hope it clears soon! I'm keeping him away from everyone but after a full day of crying at me and E crying in between I was going insane so I bundled them up and went on a walk for an hour and I felt so much better when I got home! So guess what I'll be doing everyday now lol?!

DL I tried weaning N onto cows milk at 11 months, I started using it in his cereal & then half milk half water in his bottles, Unfortunatley he got sick then & we reverted back to formula, we thought it was the formula but it could have been this virus! So I'm gonna start again next week :) I was told the super milk is the best as it has all the vitamins they need?!

Tigeress I hope N feels better soon, sounds like he's been through the mill :-(

Poor J has a black eye given to him by his silly mammy :O
    I was sitting in the back seat of the jeep feeding him yesterday while his Dad was driving, when I got to get out I unclicked the seatbelt (which goes vertically from the right hand side to the middle instead of horizontally across), it retracted really fast back into the seat & caught J on the eye on it's way :-(
    I felt so bad watching his little face crease up in fright & pain :-(:-( not to mention how I felt explaining it to the girls in the creche this morning!

Tigeress i hope he gets better soon and you get some rest.
    MS poor J, poor you , its horrible how guilty we feel when accidents happen. A was in her trike in the back yard one morning and i was standing about 2 feet away 1 of the dogs was standing beside her and she was rubbing him. He then leaned up against her in that friendly rub me more dog way (hes a collie so not that small) and tipped her over. I nearly had a heart attack. She was strapped into trike and was perfectly fine looking around to see where the dog was gone while i was nearly crying with the guilt of it.

A is having trouble going for a nap in here nans or aunties when im in work and she is then very whingey. I dont know why she is this bad she only slept for a half hour today and normally sleeps at least 2 hours if not more. She has no problem going for a nap at home and even on sunday we were at a friends house when she was due a nap and i could just pop her in my friends LO cot and she slept fine for an hour and half. Her nan (MIL) has a habbit of going in and taking her out if she's not asleep even if she is not crying even though ive told her not to. Today she gave her nurophen cus she was so whingey (eh she only slept a half hour). I know im lucky that she's with family but sometimes id be tempted to send her to child minder or creche, at least they would listen to what your saying.

my weeks holiday is over, i only got out to go to the doc, the house is wreacked and the washing meets you at the door in the utility. I need a dual routine for a 25 month and 12 month old. They never sleep at the same time and ill lose my mind if i dont get to leave this darn house daily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement