Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JenniG

:P:p;):D I meant to smile only there, that's great news

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

did u find out the sex caprilicious of ur new babs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

No luck Play Bunny! baby just wasn't playing ball!
    It was the same in the hospital scan last week, baby is in breech position with knee's tucked close together and legs crossed at the ankles, so no chances of finding out!
    We're going to wait til the big day and find out then instead :)

Tigeress you skinny minny, it took me aaaaages to fit back into regular clothes, I'm very jealous! You must feel great getting back into your 'own' clothes.
    I couldn't wait to put my maternity clothes away, gas really when I couldn't wait to fit into them when I first found out I was pregnant :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My little fella is 1 today!!!! We had quite a difficult night because he kept waking up hysterical and completely inconsolable which isn't like him at all. At 2am we came up to the living room and I took his toys out so he could play and get tired. Anyway he was playing with his toys and saying mama mama mama! Even at 2am I found it cute!

I breastfed him lots last night (thank god for breastfeeding!) and I noticed he'd bitten me in a weird way. I checked his gums this morning and he's cut his first top tooth.

It's been a busy few days for him; standing up by himself, saying mama, his 1st birthday and a new tooth. No wonder he was cranky!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww,he is only 2 days younger then my baby:)
    Yaay for his 1st tooth.
    My gummy bear only has her 2 front ones and that is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Aww happy birthday to your little man How Strange :) hope he has a great day! Wow he really has had an exciting week so far! Congrats on his 1st tooth too :) Yey & the standing up! Xx

Happy birthday to your little one in 2 days too Moonbeam :)

Thanks Cap :) I'm delighted with myself! I've lost 12kg since I've had him! I'm still very sore but I think the antibiotics are finally fighting this infection in the section wound :) I'm feeling a little better everyday & today I'm going to Newbridge for an hour to meet up with my friends & a coffee :) I'm very much looking forward to it hehe

My little fella had been smiling since pretty much day 2 while he's asleep & yest he smiled for 1st time while awake :) I'm hoping it's the start of him smiling while awake now (really looking forward to that hehe) he's 4 weeks today :)
    Anyone reading 'What to expect in the 1st year' ? I'm finding oy a tiny amount of each chapter actually applies to my little man?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Happy birthday to your little man How Strange, can't believe it's been a year already... that's flown in!

Welcome JenniG... hope you have a safe move to Ireland.

Tigeress, fair play to you, I don't think I've lost any weight... despite having three to run around after! And don't worry, each baby is different, not every baby hits every milestone on time, and some hit them early. Just go with the flow.

Tigress I have the Penelope Leach 'Your Baby & Child' and I find it great. I really like her style as she gives the gentle approach and a more routine based approach and you decide for yourself. She doesnt say one is better than the other. She also has loads of information for each stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Awww Cap...you have a wee gent/lady on your hands there, lovely and discreet! It's gas with the maternity clothes, like you say, you think you'll never get into them and then you're celebrating putting them away! :D

Happy Birthday to your little guy How Strange. Maybe he was distressed at the thoughts of getting older, these milestone birthdays tend to have that sort of effect on us all ;):D His first tooth, on his first birthday, that's lovely!

I agree with wmpdd3, get everything you can on video, it's amazing watching it back. Our first guy will be 3 in April and it's incredible watching his early videos, everything moves so fast with them it amazing to think of them when they couldn't talk or walk. Especially with this one coz the trick now is getting him to keep quiet! :eek::D

Our little one is so cute, he's just the happiest little bundle of cuteness. We had friends over yesterday and their one year old was drinking a bottle, well our guy was drinking every sip with him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

A week of firsts...My baby has graduated to the big cot from the moses basket...:eek: he didn't wake til 8.38 this morning..:D woohoo long may it continue..happy birthday babies... how fast time goes. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

No luck Play Bunny! baby just wasn't playing ball!
    It was the same in the hospital scan last week, baby is in breech position with knee's tucked close together and legs crossed at the ankles, so no chances of finding out!
    We're going to wait til the big day and find out then instead :)

Tigeress you skinny minny, it took me aaaaages to fit back into regular clothes, I'm very jealous! You must feel great getting back into your 'own' clothes.
    I couldn't wait to put my maternity clothes away, gas really when I couldn't wait to fit into them when I first found out I was pregnant :o

aww typical, not long to go now, ive my apt wed week so pg i can find out im sooo looking fwd to it, never thought about the whole breech position he/she better play ball ive no patience, well it cuts down on shopping for stuff eh

The youngest cbyrd is lost in the cot but loves the extra space ;) we got him a mobile, but it completely freaked him out the first time i put it on :eek: it was a bit hilarious watching a slow baby meltdown..:D bad mammy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

ok quick question.

is it ok for me as the mammy to suck my 3 week old girls dummy and give it to her? i was told i cant pass on my germs to her. or do i need to sterilise it every time i give it to her. im just wondering cos she only started takin the dummy today and im wondering if i give it to her during the night will i have to get up to sterilise it or can i just give it to her.

also the dummies i have dont have lids. is it ok to sterilise a small container and keep them in this? and give them to her from this?

I always used the mammys lick for a quick sterilization but I got a clevamama soother sterilizer tree in mother care for €10 which sterilized the soothers in 1 minute in the microwave. I got a microwave sterilizer in mother care later which was fantastic for the pump bits and pieces but it took 8 minutes to sterilize so the soother three was much handier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cbyrd wrote: »
    The youngest cbyrd is lost in the cot but loves the extra space ;) we got him a mobile, but it completely freaked him out the first time i put it on :eek: it was a bit hilarious watching a slow baby meltdown..:D bad mammy :pac:

Haha! Shane Jnr hated his mobile for the first few nights, but now demands it and is more interested in it than saying 'Night, night' to Daddy. Ours projects stars and bees buzzing around onto the ceiling- its one of the Fisherprice things- I'm not surprised it freaked the little guy out at first.

Lol......

ok quick question.

is it ok for me as the mammy to suck my 3 week old girls dummy and give it to her? i was told i cant pass on my germs to her. or do i need to sterilise it every time i give it to her. im just wondering cos she only started takin the dummy today and im wondering if i give it to her during the night will i have to get up to sterilise it or can i just give it to her.

also the dummies i have dont have lids. is it ok to sterilise a small container and keep them in this? and give them to her from this?

I always did the mammy lick :o I have 4..with my youngest i do notice that sometimes it can make him posset a bit after a while but not in the last 2 or 3 weeks (16 weeks now)you could make a milton solution in a small bowl and have 2 dodi's and alternate . .the way i look at it is when you sterilise a bottle you have to hold the teat to get it in the bottle top so technically it's not completely sterile...no better way to start building the immune system ;)

Tigress I have the Penelope Leach 'Your Baby & Child' and I find it great. I really like her style as she gives the gentle approach and a more routine based approach and you decide for yourself. She doesnt say one is better than the other. She also has loads of information for each stage.

Thanks How Strange :) I'm gonna give it a look see :) there are so many books out there..

I always used the mammys lick for a quick sterilization but I got a clevamama soother sterilizer tree in mother care for €10 which sterilized the soothers in 1 minute in the microwave. I got a microwave sterilizer in mother care later which was fantastic for the pump bits and pieces but it took 8 minutes to sterilize so the soother three was much handier.

What is this soothed steriliser tree? It sounds great! We have 4 soothers that have little lids with them so I just use the normal steriliser and put the caps on & use them as needed.. But in saying that when he spits them out they go flying & he can go through them all pretty quick! I won't put on the steriliser to only do 4 soothers though so this microwave one sounds cool!
    I haven't used the Mammy Lick either :) funny word though!

lol @ cbyrd, so cute seeing them in their cot when they're so teeny (meltdown aside :D). If only mine would stay in a cot :P

Playbunny fingers & toes crossed your baba will cooperate and you will be able to find out the sex! How many weeks are you now?

Belated Happy Birthday baby how strange :) so lovely to have him reach so many milestones at his birthday too! Belated happy birthday baby Moonbeam too, she is a little dote! that year has definitely flown!

Tigeress that's brill that you're healing well now after the section, it must be such a relief. Was it difficult managing with your little guy while you were recovering? So lovely that he is smiling, I still remember my little girls first little smile :)

Hannibal so true about the videos, I was backing up the hardrive on my laptop and came across video's of our little girl at diffferent stages, it's amazing to see how much she's changed in the past year or two!

Tigeress hopefully this link works because I'm doing it on my iPhone

http://www.clevamama.com/en/products/soother-tree/soother-tree.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

In relation to the soothers After a week or two of getting sick of picking them off the floor every few minutes we got one of those clips that clips the soother onto the babies clothes. They have them for a couple of euro in Smyths.

I used to think they were only for when baby was old enough to put the soother back in themselves but soon learnt it saved many soothers from falling on the ground! Obviously didn't use it in bed or anything in case she'd hurt herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

sillysocks wrote: »
    In relation to the soothers After a week or two of getting sick of picking them off the floor every few minutes we got one of those clips that clips the soother onto the babies clothes. They have them for a couple of euro in Smyths.

I used to think they were only for when baby was old enough to put the soother back in themselves but soon learnt it saved many soothers from falling on the ground! Obviously didn't use it in bed or anything in case she'd hurt herself.

We'd be sterilising soothers every few minutes if I didn't have one of those clips! I find the NUK ones the handiest as well! I think most chemists have them as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

my little one cried from 10 am til bout 3pm with maybe an hour break in between. since she stopped ive started!! just really feeling down. thinking i cant cope, i cant help her and thinkin when she wakes is she still going to be crying with the wind pain. feeling a bit like im not a good mammy at the moment. i know its prob just cos im tired and hate seein my baby crying and not able do anything. husband will be home soon so thats great. just had to get my crappy feeling out there!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

ok quick question.

Sterlised the dummies once and never bothered again, even from birth I use to just "mummy lick" them! And give them a wash every so often. My babes is 8 months old now and has only been sick once :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

my little one cried from 10 am til bout 3pm with maybe an hour break in between. since she stopped ive started!! just really feeling down. thinking i cant cope, i cant help her and thinkin when she wakes is she still going to be crying with the wind pain. feeling a bit like im not a good mammy at the moment. i know its prob just cos im tired and hate seein my baby crying and not able do anything. husband will be home soon so thats great. just had to get my crappy feeling out there!!!:(

I hope you got a bit of a rest when he came home - or will do, whichever. You'll feel much better with a bit of rest. And try not to be so hard on yourself. I know it's difficult, I was there when I was finding the breastfeeding difficult and I thought I was the worst mum in the world for considering giving her a bottle of formula just to give myself a break. We're too hard on ourselves really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

red fraggle, my heart goes out to you! went through a similar spell, it'll pass, don't worry. you're doing great, and please dont think you're a bad mommy! it's heartbreaking to see the little ones cry so much, but it will get better! :)

as nicowa said, don't be too hard on yourself!

red fraggle I totally empathise; we had some very tough days and it can be hard to reconcile feeling knackered and frustrated with the love you feel for your little baby. However, get your husband to help out when he comes home so you can have a cup of tea, a bath or a nap if you're really lucky. Take your cup of tea and go to a quiet room even for just 10 minutes to recharge your batteries.

It's a phase and it will pass although it's hard to see that when you're in the middle of it.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Hope you got a bit of a break when your partner got home Red Fraggle. I had more than one day like that when our little girl was newborn.
    It is so intense the infinite need that little person has for you & it can be hard going.

You're not a bad mum at all!
    I remember days when my little girl had a bad day that I would count the minutes down for my husband to get in so I could have 5 mins to myself!
    It does pass and it definitely does get easier. I hope you're feeling much better now and get something that passes for a good nights sleep!

Tigeress hopefully this link works because I'm doing it on my iPhone

http://www.clevamama.com/en/products/soother-tree/soother-tree.aspx

Thanks so much How Strange :D I'm thinking I'm gonna purchase this lol it sounds awesome!

From Cap:
    Tigeress that's brill that you're healing well now after the section, it must be such a relief. Was it difficult managing with your little guy while you were recovering? So lovely that he is smiling, I still remember my little girls first little smile

Thanks Cap :) he only does his smiles every so often more so smerks lol but it's pretty awesome! Can't wait for full on smiles all the time hehe :) he's such a content & good baby! We're so lucky! The recovery is still on going but thankfully the worst of the pains are gone now from the section.. After 3 antibiotics the wound is finally healing although I have to wear bandages for a while more.. I found it very hard to look after N with the pains at the start but I was very lucky that my OH save his hols from last year & took all of Jan off, I would have been lost without him! He's back in work next week though eek!!
    How are you doing hun?

My little fella has gone from 8 bottles a day to 6 now.. He's still drinking the same amount just more per bottle & longer between :) we're going 4 hours between feeds now which im very happy about! I'm
    Finding he farts (sorry for crudeness) more than burps & I find winding him sometimes impossible :o anyone else suffering with this?

Sillysocks I bought some of those clips to stop the soothers falling too :) I only use them when we're out though, I'm so nervous it'll get caught on him!

• Advertisement

Red Fragle I do feel the same on & off hun, it's hard work being a Mum & I completely understand how you feel.. I've been getting loads of help from my OH & he's going back to work next week & I'm dreading doing it all on my own.. I know for both of us it'll get better :) we havent had much experience with crying like that so I can only imagine how hard it is hun.. The other girls gave great advise, take a break in the eve when himself comes home & recharge! You'll feel a million times better from it, hope you're feeling better & you're not a bad Mum! Xx

Advertisement