Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

ok quick question.

is it ok for me as the mammy to suck my 3 week old girls dummy and give it to her? i was told i cant pass on my germs to her. or do i need to sterilise it every time i give it to her. im just wondering cos she only started takin the dummy today and im wondering if i give it to her during the night will i have to get up to sterilise it or can i just give it to her.

also the dummies i have dont have lids. is it ok to sterilise a small container and keep them in this? and give them to her from this?

No it is not a good thing to do.
    You are safer rinsing it with hot water.
    I kept a few spares in a sterilised box at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I suck Ellens soother :o Three kids in and sterilising every thing in sight is gone out the window... I still sterilise her bottles but that's cos of the formula...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JenniG

Well it's bub's is about to hit 1 month. Happy birthday to all the little ones who recently turned 1.

It's been a while & so much exciting stuff on this thread has happened. But in an effort to not take over this thread yet again I will attempt to keep it brief. I hope everyone is doing well. :o Although red fraggle my heart goes out to you, I hope you get some rest soon and know that you are doing a marvelous job. I too have been feeling the worst mom ever because she got chicken pox.

Yes chicken pox!!! :eek: Needless to say it's been a fun filled few days. Started of by a cold, then followed by fever and the Doctor thinking it was just a virus. Thankfully my instinct said otherwise, she just was getting worst and nothing I could do to comfort her. I felt horrible, so we ended up in hospital. She now is better, has a couple of spots & trying stop her from scratching them. But sleep has been an illusive dream. We're taking her home soon thankfully, but in the meantime the Doctors, Nurses, Mr, my parents all ganged up against me and told me get out of her room for something to eat and drink. I've not left her side, simply getting people to deliver what food/supplies needed. So currently in a little computer in the coffee shop dropping a quick line & possibly ranting! I'm not sure.

So how did she get chicken pox?:confused: Well it turns out at my Nephew's Crèche had an outbreak, whilst he's been immunized and fine. He came over and well, the rest is self evident. Our bub's is too young for the immunization & here we have chicken pox. I had it when I was little, but Mr not yet. Thankfully Mr is immunized. Still can't get that sinking feeling that I'm bad Mom.... CHICKEN POX!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Omg Jenni you poor thing, sounds like you've had a rotten few days :( I hope baba get's over her chicken pox soon and that you get some much earned sleep.

Fingers crossed you won't pick it up too seeing as you haven't had it before.
    Don't you dare feel guilty about it either! It sounds like she got a bad dose of it, so hopefully that means she wont get it again when she's older.
    Apparently if they only get a mild dose when they're young, they're prone to getting it again later, or so I'm told!

I know it's hard to be away from baby when they're so sick, but please do try get yourself a good rest or you will end up unwell yourself when she needs you.
    Hope she's home to you soon :)

Tigeress that's brill that your husband was at home to help you with N through your recovery, can't believe you went through 3 antibiotics til it healed :eek: you poor thing, thankfully it's healing now.

My little girl was more prone to farts than burps too, I found small quantities of warm water (only an ounce or less) after her milk bottle helped get the wind out.

I'm doing great thanks, look like a 90 year old when I walk around trying to balance this massive bump that has me all lopsided :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

JenniG I hope your little one is on the mend now. That's really horrible for her and for you and your husband. Chicken pox is everywhere over here at the moment. My son started in crèche in September and on the first day a toddler had chicken pox. I don't know how he escaped it. However it's so contagious and the incubation period is a month so it's hard to avoid it especially if in your case you've had lots of visitors since she was born.

I think staying by her side constantly shows what a fantastic mother you are :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

sillysocks wrote: »
    In relation to the soothers After a week or two of getting sick of picking them off the floor every few minutes we got one of those clips that clips the soother onto the babies clothes. They have them for a couple of euro in Smyths.

I used to think they were only for when baby was old enough to put the soother back in themselves but soon learnt it saved many soothers from falling on the ground! Obviously didn't use it in bed or anything in case she'd hurt herself.
    chain for the Doodee (soothers) this is a great, although our little one is very smart, when she is crying she shakes the plastic chain too to make more of a racket.:D:D,

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

my little one cried from 10 am til bout 3pm with maybe an hour break in between. since she stopped ive started!! just really feeling down. thinking i cant cope, i cant help her and thinkin when she wakes is she still going to be crying with the wind pain. feeling a bit like im not a good mammy at the moment. i know its prob just cos im tired and hate seein my baby crying and not able do anything. husband will be home soon so thats great. just had to get my crappy feeling out there!!!frown.gif

Red Fraggle: Dont be so hard on yourself, I too feel sometimes that I can't cope, especially when I get one settled and the other one starts off and as soon he is settled the little girl starts again, and it goes around and around, They say it gets easier :) when I don't know, it changes from people to people, some say after 3mths and others say after 1yr, I am just hoping once the twins reached 4-6mths that they will be amused by themselves..
    You are a good mammy, babies cry, its normal, I do all the checks, check nappy, check for wind either sit them up or put them over my knees tummy down and rub their back, or over the shoulder and rub back, rock them, if all fails, which 9/10 times it does, I go out to kitchen and take deep breaths calm myself down and go in and I lift both of them into my arms against my chest and hold them, close. hugging them close and even though they are heavy now, it works. its quietens them right down. plus stick a finger in the mouth of the one is crying the most is better than any soother in fact our lot would sleep all night sucking one of our fingers if they'd get away with it. if the truth be known i cant sleep much because i'm constantly worrying about them over what i dont know, i guess it's just a motherly instinct and i dont think it'll ever go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey guys.

thanks for al the comments. knowing others feel or go through the same really helps. my OH was home 15 mins and i felt better. just offloading and having him here made me feel so much better. then our little one stayed awake for a while and was so content looking around and sitting in her bouncer. the fact that she was content made me feel better too. like she wasnt sick or anything. she did cry again then for the usual while before goin to bed with wind etc. but it was fine cos OH was there to share it. then she slept from 12 til 3.30 and from 4 ish til 7 so it wasnt too bad.

today was a good day. went to my mams and had a bath and she was quite content. goin shopping for tights for her for tomorrow after we visit the breastfeeding clinic.

purplecat i dont know how you do it with twins. you must be superwoman! i couldnt imagine havin 2. even an older child. i suppose you adjust just like we all do eventually with motherhood!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

JenniG I hope your little one is doing much better & you too! You poor thing having to go through all that :( don't for a min think you're being a bad mum from what you e said I think you're being amazing :) fingers crossed she gets to go home soon xxx

Cap lol I remember being in so much pain I was limping all the time so I feel for ya hun!

My little fella has decided that he doesn't want to get his wind up at night anymore :( hours of trying different positions the last few nights & nothing.. He'll fall asleep in my arms but the min I move or try to put him down he wiggles & crys with pain.. I'm lost :( I'm so tired I feel like I can't function & then feel worse for wanting sleep when he's so uncomfortable.. He's awake most of the daytime now & even when he does sleep it's only for a half hour or so, so no chance in catching up sleep then.. Any advise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

are you sure he's crying with pain Tigress? Most little ones cry when you put them back into the cot because they've been nice and cosy while feeding and then you put them back into the cold bed?

I'm just checking the mattresses in my son's pram and moses basket for nails because the way he screams when I put him back in there I'm full sure there's something sticking into him! :D

Tigeress wrote: »
    My little fella has decided that he doesn't want to get his wind up at night anymore :( hours of trying different positions the last few nights & nothing.. He'll fall asleep in my arms but the min I move or try to put him down he wiggles & crys with pain.. I'm lost :( I'm so tired I feel like I can't function & then feel worse for wanting sleep when he's so uncomfortable.. He's awake most of the daytime now & even when he does sleep it's only for a half hour or so, so no chance in catching up sleep then.. Any advise?

my little one does exactly the same on and off and usually at night. she has to be COMPLETELY conked out in my arms or she wil wake and cry and we start all over again!!

any one find any miracle thing for the stuffy nose? she kept me awake all night with her noisy nose and i thought it was gona affect her breathing even tho it didnt. got tea tree oil today and im gona burn it in the room a bit before we go to bed. ill try anything!!!

are you sure he's crying with pain Tigress? Most little ones cry when you put them back into the cot because they've been nice and cosy while feeding and then you put them back into the cold bed?

I'm just checking the mattresses in my son's pram and moses basket for nails because the way he screams when I put him back in there I'm full sure there's something sticking into him! :D

Lol with the nails :) yeah I'm sure it's wind.. He actually likes his cot! When he Stetson crying he goes all red faced and is pushing like mad (to try get his wind out) sometimes cycling his legs works but it's very hit & miss of it does.. My Mum thinks its colic but he doesn't spit up or get sick so I really don't think that's it!

Tigeress wrote: »
    L goes all red faced and is pushing like mad (to try get his wind out) sometimes cycling his legs works but it's very hit & miss of it does.. My Mum thinks its colic but he doesn't spit up or get sick so I really don't think that's it!

my little miss is exactly the same. i said it to health nurse and she said some babies think they have to go toilet even when they have just gone!! im not so convinced tho. def hit and miss whether the cycling works with me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

just a couple of things coming up. seen this advertised on t.v. next monday on rte 2 @ 21.30 reality bites, from boom to maternity. definately worth a look from what we've seen. purple has it down to record.
    then this on 14/15 april in the RDS.
    http://www.pregnancyandbabyfair.ie/

my little one does exactly the same on and off and usually at night. she has to be COMPLETELY conked out in my arms or she wil wake and cry and we start all over again!!

any one find any miracle thing for the stuffy nose? she kept me awake all night with her noisy nose and i thought it was gona affect her breathing even tho it didnt. got tea tree oil today and im gona burn it in the room a bit before we go to bed. ill try anything!!!

Saline drops, or saline spray is a god send for the stuffy nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I need to stay out of the pregnancy forum....I'm missing being pregnant!!!! :eek:

+1 on the saline drops...they're a god send! Get them any how and have them on standby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I need to stay out of the pregnancy forum....I'm missing being pregnant!!!! :eek:

+1 on the saline drops...they're a god send! Get them any how and have them on standby!

Hahaha hannibal... that happened me after my 3rd, it was the first time it happened me ever :eek: i'm so glad that it didn't happen this time or i'd be fecked... and divorced :D

I find the saline spray best for loosening thing up there and if you have heating running at night keep some water on the radiator.. stops the air drying out.

I always put a blanket under them in the cot on cold nights or a folded sheet off the radiator so it's warm when his head hits it.

Red fraggle your head must've been done in.. there's nothing quite as stressful as a crying baby.. i remember one day with my 3rd he would not stop screaming, i tried to breastfeed, i massaged his tummy, bathed him, winded him only to discover that he was hungry :o he was on one bottle at night, this is how i discovered he wanted one in the afternoon too, i felt like such a plank when i realised what was wrong.

Something that i find works for wind is walking up and down the stairs winding them.. down works better but you have to go up to go down :eek:.. works for my thighs too :D i dont' know if its the slight bounce or what..but something dislodges the wind ;)

So littlest cbyrd is still loving the cot, he sleeping 9.30 to 12am and then about 1am til 9am . . i can't believe how quickly he settled once he got out of the confined moses basket.. he's fast asleep now since 2pm he'll have a bottle about 6 and then stay awake til his next bottle at 9.30.. he's so good..(so far :rolleyes:)

On the other hand my 2 year old has turned into a little demon.. his favourite pastime is jumping off anything.. the higher the better and if he can land on me even better..no is the favourite word and if anyone we meet strikes up conversation and asks him anything he replies with ssshhhhh. . . i'm so mortified.. and throwing things.. overnight he just went from angel to lunatic.. it's not boldness he just thinks it's funny to watch things bouncing down the stairs or put something on the treadmill when i'm on it so he can watch it fly off the other end :eek: it is quite funny to watch me dodge them too no doubt.. i caught him about to jump off the kitchen table this morning :rolleyes: he has my head melted

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I use snuffle baby,it is like vicks for babies.

thanks for the tips. are the saline drops better than the spray?

ive the spray and it hasnt been great. tho yesterday evening i gave it to her 3 times and when she settled she slept from 11 til 4 and i heard no nose noise!! but then from 4 until the mornin it was awful. even thought she was chokin at one point!! thinking of investing in a humidifier tomorow. we have a storage heater on all night and im thinking maybe this is affecting her. we have a bowl of water under the radiator. she has it during the day too but not as bad. im dreading tonight. im so afraid its goin to stop her breathing.:(

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I use snuffle baby,it is like vicks for babies.

where would you get this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

ive the spray and it hasnt been great. tho yesterday evening i gave it to her 3 times and when she settled she slept from 11 til 4 and i heard no nose noise!! but then from 4 until the mornin it was awful. even thought she was chokin at one point!! thinking of investing in a humidifier tomorow. we have a storage heater on all night and im thinking maybe this is affecting her. we have a bowl of water under the radiator. she has it during the day too but not as bad. im dreading tonight. im so afraid its goin to stop her breathing.:(

I found the drops great but they irritated the little mans nose if I used them too often and we'd get a bit of blood with the mucus, and that was when he was 14 weeks, so a bit older than your little one as well. I'd say as long as you use them sparingly enough they wouldn't do that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The one we use is Karvol- you can get it in any pharmacy. Essentially- its capsules of menthol and eucalyptus oils which you put on baby's clothes just under his/her chin. Its helpful- but not a cure when baby has a cold.

smccarrick wrote: »
    The one we use is Karvol- you can get it in any pharmacy. Essentially- its capsules of menthol and eucalyptus oils which you put on baby's clothes just under his/her chin. Its helpful- but not a cure when baby has a cold.

And can only be used from 3 months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

where would you get this?

You can get snuffle babe in most good pharmacies, there are a few different brands but are essentially the same thing, once you make sure it is suitable for babies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Unfortunately up to 3 months only saline spray/solutions are recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

cbyrd wrote: »
    On the other hand my 2 year old has turned into a little demon.. his favourite pastime is jumping off anything.. the higher the better and if he can land on me even better..no is the favourite word and if anyone we meet strikes up conversation and asks him anything he replies with ssshhhhh. . . i'm so mortified.. and throwing things.. overnight he just went from angel to lunatic.. it's not boldness he just thinks it's funny to watch things bouncing down the stairs or put something on the treadmill when i'm on it so he can watch it fly off the other end :eek: it is quite funny to watch me dodge them too no doubt.. i caught him about to jump off the kitchen table this morning :rolleyes: he has my head melted

I think that's my child you're describing :D she does this stern face, finger to the lips 'shhhhh' when someone is talking and she doesn't want them to! I got 'NO mammy!' shouted at me the whole way home for no particular reason on the way home, same child was a doe eyed angel when she got home to daddy :D

So this is what they call the terrible 2's! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

what a night, feeding times were changed by the twins again. baby josh was moaning and crying most of the night.. loosing track of time and feeds :eek:. even my own body clock doesn't know what to make of things. we got to bed about 1am after a midnight feed. josh hungry at 03.45 then again at 06.45. poor purple is shattered even now shes out cold. i'm not to far off typing in my sleep now. i honestly thought raising a baby let alone twins was a walk in the park.
    any word on when the next meet up is? we really need to get out :eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

How is she with her bottles? is it worse after she has one or does it make a difference? Does she have any dry skin patches...? The reason i ask is my 2 year old was snuffly when i fully weaned him onto bottles. I thought it was a cold and like that the saline drops were making his nose bleed a bit..after about 3 weeks i knew it wasn't a cold so i took him to the pharmacist to see if there was anything else i could get for him.

The pharmacist asked if he had any skin problems and he had a couple of little patches on his legs and arms.. so i was dispatched to the GP to get him tested for lactose intolerance. He wasn't intolerant but because i ate no dairy when i was pregnant his system didn't know what to do with it when he started bottles fulltime. So after trial and error we found a combination that reduced the lactose and the reflux which cured his tummy pains and diarrhoea. We started weaning him onto dairy a few months ago.. he's fine now but still if he eats too much dairy he gets the runs (nice) and his ankles get red patches (eczema) Might be worth getting her checked out if even to rule it out ;)

• Advertisement

cbyrd wrote: »
    How is she with her bottles? is it worse after she has one or does it make a difference? Does she have any dry skin patches...? The reason i ask is my 2 year old was snuffly when i fully weaned him onto bottles. I thought it was a cold and like that the saline drops were making his nose bleed a bit..after about 3 weeks i knew it wasn't a cold so i took him to the pharmacist to see if there was anything else i could get for him.

The pharmacist asked if he had any skin problems and he had a couple of little patches on his legs and arms.. so i was dispatched to the GP to get him tested for lactose intolerance. He wasn't intolerant but because i ate no dairy when i was pregnant his system didn't know what to do with it when he started bottles fulltime. So after trial and error we found a combination that reduced the lactose and the reflux which cured his tummy pains and diarrhoea. We started weaning him onto dairy a few months ago.. he's fine now but still if he eats too much dairy he gets the runs (nice) and his ankles get red patches (eczema) Might be worth getting her checked out if even to rule it out ;)

she is still being breast fed so i dont know. got the drops today. goin to use them tonight and tomorrow and if she is still bad mon i will call doc to see if its normal. dont want to have to get antibiotics or anything. it seems to be worse from 4am on. sometimes it even sounds like she is swallowing something!

Advertisement