Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

My 2 year old has started slapping me her daddy and brother. Not sure if it's cos I've been sick for a few days or its a phase or she's getting jealous. I'm doing the naughty spot with her but sure she happily goes on it!!! The novelty will hopefully wear off. Tonight I was very stern and had my very serious look and she did the same look back! So hard not to laugh but she seemed to know this was serious as it all stopped and I got a bit of a cold shoulder. They sure can make ya feel queer guilty for discipline!!!

My 2 year old has started slapping me her daddy and brother. Not sure if it's cos I've been sick for a few days or its a phase or she's getting jealous. I'm doing the naughty spot with her but sure she happily goes on it!!! The novelty will hopefully wear off. Tonight I was very stern and had my very serious look and she did the same look back! So hard not to laugh but she seemed to know this was serious as it all stopped and I got a bit of a cold shoulder. They sure can make ya feel queer guilty for discipline!!!

wicklori wrote: »
    Happy Birthday to your little man yellowhen and congratulations to you-you and he have survived the first year! I think that's a massive achievement and certainly worth more than a few tears!
    OMG I am like the walking dead today..... lil man was awake actually half the night-and I mean that literally. In work today-only back a month and like a zombie. How will I survive the day and report back for duty tomorrow......

Hope you survived the day and are goin to be able get an early night and some sleep. It's so hard when they are awake half the night!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Happy Birthday to your little man yellowhen and congratulations to you-you and he have survived the first year! I think that's a massive achievement and certainly worth more than a few tears!
    OMG I am like the walking dead today..... lil man was awake actually half the night-and I mean that literally. In work today-only back a month and like a zombie. How will I survive the day and report back for duty tomorrow......

Hi wicklori, I haven't seen your mane around here in a while. Hope things are good (besides the bad nights sleep!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi wicklori, I haven't seen your mane around here in a while. Hope things are good (besides the bad nights sleep!!)
    Ah sure we had another bad night last night :(
    Ah well I'd say this tooth must be nearly through. This is tooth number 9 so we have had some practice although they previously came in 2s!
    Yep Yellowhen I wasn't on much when I was on mat leave-you know what it's like flying around after the little man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Why doesn't anyone warn you about the emotional mess you become as a mother? Today is my LO's first full day in creche and I haven't stopped crying since about 6.30am. I actually dropped her off and ran coz I was bawling and I didn't want her to see me like that. I'm still bawling! I'd give anything to not have to go back to work next week.... I'll never see her... She'll grow up calling me weekend mommy. *sob* :(

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Why doesn't anyone warn you about the emotional mess you become as a mother? Today is my LO's first full day in creche and I haven't stopped crying since about 6.30am. I actually dropped her off and ran coz I was bawling and I didn't want her to see me like that. I'm still bawling! I'd give anything to not have to go back to work next week.... I'll never see her... She'll grow up calling me weekend mommy. *sob* :(
    OMG I could have written your post a couple of weeks ago :( It's awful isn't it!

I'm back in work and it probably has gotten a bit easier but then he was sick and I felt guilty for leaving him, and now he's teething and I feel guilty for leaving him- AND I'm getting feck all sleep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I'm so lucky I have my mam watching mine when I'm working. Don't think I could cope otherwise.

My little one is like a maniac today so had to break out the big guns and give her a silicon pastry brush to chew on lol My son loved it as well for the teething.

I'm just wondering for all the mamas with 10 months and over are all the babas crawling. My little one is 10 months and she isn't crawling at all. She moves round on circles and can move backwards and she can pull her self up to standing but no crawling. My son was whiz zing around at this stage?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm so lucky I have my mam watching mine when I'm working. Don't think I could cope otherwise.

My little one is like a maniac today so had to break out the big guns and give her a silicon pastry brush to chew on lol My son loved it as well for the teething.

I'm just wondering for all the mamas with 10 months and over are all the babas crawling. My little one is 10 months and she isn't crawling at all. She moves round on circles and can move backwards and she can pull her self up to standing but no crawling. My son was whiz zing around at this stage?!?
    Mine wasn't even crawling at a year old!
    A friend's baby was crawling at 4 months.
    All babies are different and some just get going quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I think they all prefer different styles of movement. She's getting around and happy so I'd say she's fine.

I had to collect L from the crèche, he has a fever. :(
    They've got the flu at the crèche, I hope it's not that he has.
    He's in good form but very snotty, and a bit more tired than usual.

nicowa wrote: »
    I think they all prefer different styles of movement. She's getting around and happy so I'd say she's fine.

Ah yeah she is fine just lazy lol just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one with a lazy baby :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Ah yeah she is fine just lazy lol just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one with a lazy baby :-P

My youngest is 9 months 3 weeks - exact same as yours with loads of rolling and sliding and will go up on all fours but go nowhere - just rock and lie back down! She won't pull heralded to standing but to be honest I think we are lacking probs - need to sit her near a chair or table leg etc but I'm afraid to as I always have to have an eye on my 2 year old so she doesn't send her flying! So in our case it's lazy baby and lazy mama! My eldest crawled by this stage but I know my youngest is fine - just not pushed!

dublinlady wrote: »
    My youngest is 9 months 3 weeks - exact same as yours with loads of rolling and sliding and will go up on all fours but go nowhere - just rock and lie back down! She won't pull heralded to standing but to be honest I think we are lacking probs - need to sit her near a chair or table leg etc but I'm afraid to as I always have to have an eye on my 2 year old so she doesn't send her flying! So in our case it's lazy baby and lazy mama! My eldest crawled by this stage but I know my youngest is fine - just not pushed!

Think you hit the nail on the head there. I have a 3 year old boy and he is wild. The lack of movement is prob a combination of fear on babas part and fear on mine. She isn't getting the opportunities that my son had as I can't leave her on the floor if I'm not sitting with her whereas my son spent the first year of his life on the floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm the same ladies. I'd be quite happy if my little madam stayed on the floor for another few months. She pulled herself up to standing last week and is crawling. She learned how to sit up, crawl and stand in crèche from watching the other little ones.

Dublinlady how's your little one? I can't believe how quick those 10 months have flown and I'm enjoying all the new things she does because I know she's our last baby. I'm so amazed at how her brother loves her and is always hugging and kissing her. There's a bit of pinching etc too but not very much really.

I finished up in work his day last year!

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hope little guy is ok and that its not flu ivy. :(

Get better soon.

Neyite wrote: »
    Hope little guy is ok and that its not flu ivy. :(

Get better soon.
    I don't think it's the flu because he's playing away. Just the fever is coming and going, he has a cough and a blocked nose. I've kept him home from the crèche today, and regularly doing nose cleanings (with saline solution and the sucky thing - a "mouche bébé"). And lots of cuddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I hope he feels better soon Ivy.

It's Carnaval here this weekend, so A has gone off to creche dressed as a butterfly :)

Xdancer wrote: »
    I hope he feels better soon Ivy.

It's Carnaval here this weekend, so A has gone off to creche dressed as a butterfly :)
    At L's crèche they do Carnivale in April because the weather is better! :)

At L's crèche they do Carnivale in April because the weather is better! :)

:) Makes sense.

It's 20º and sunny here today, so I think it's ok :D

• Advertisement

:) Makes sense.

It's 20º and sunny here today, so I think it's ok :D
    Same here but that's a bit freaky for this time of the year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

OMG I could have written your post a couple of weeks ago :( It's awful isn't it!

I'm back in work and it probably has gotten a bit easier but then he was sick and I felt guilty for leaving him, and now he's teething and I feel guilty for leaving him- AND I'm getting feck all sleep.....

It's a horrendous feeling, I cried all day, and again when I picked her up but for different reasons! :)
    Today is her second full day, not as many tears but I just feel empty now. I'm back to work on Tuesday so hopefully that will keep me distracted, but like you I'll be worrying about her teething, etc... Of course my mother doesn't help with the guilt, all I hear is "oh I couldn't have left mine like that." Easy for her to say but I don't have that luxury! I suppose she didn't have a choice either, in her day women were expected to stay home to raise the kids. Now we're expected to do it all. Damn you women's lib!

Hopefully you got some sleep last night, but at least it's Friday!

Ivy, I hope your little man is feeling better today?

Well he was feverish last night and he coughed a lot in his sleep. No fever this morning but he's clingy and narky. Hopefully he'll be alright after the weekend.

It's a horrendous feeling, I cried all day, and again when I picked her up but for different reasons! :)
    Today is her second full day, not as many tears but I just feel empty now. I'm back to work on Tuesday so hopefully that will keep me distracted, but like you I'll be worrying about her teething, etc... Of course my mother doesn't help with the guilt, all I hear is "oh I couldn't have left mine like that." Easy for her to say but I don't have that luxury! I suppose she didn't have a choice either, in her day women were expected to stay home to raise the kids. Now we're expected to do it all. Damn you women's lib!

Hopefully you got some sleep last night, but at least it's Friday!

Some sleep last night- husband and his work trip preparations got in the way of sleep more than the child did :rolleyes:
    It's just constant guilt really isn't it- if you're not in work your feeling guilty about that and if you are-well then there's the guilt again! My MIL is the one who gives us a hard time-she hates 'how children turn out when they are in childcare'. Poor husband feels awfully guilty after the phonecalls. My Mother on the other hand is the complete opposite-'you keep your hand in the world of work, you'll regret it later if you don't'....... Can't win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I'm back to work almost 5 months now, and I still hate leaving my baba. My mam is minding him, which is fantastic but I hate that I feel like I'm missing stuff.

Wicklori is right, you can't win, damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I wish I worked part-time, I feel like I would be able to balance things more. Boo :(

I had a bad night's sleep last night and today A has refused to take a nap all day so she is as cranky as can be :(
    She'll end up going to bed really early and will wake at about 5am tomorrow :(

I had a bad night's sleep last night and today A has refused to take a nap all day so she is as cranky as can be :(
    She'll end up going to bed really early and will wake at about 5am tomorrow :(

My little one was the same today. No nap so she went down at 6.15. I cant see this playing out well tonight.

My sons behaviour has been nothing short of disgraceful this week but today he woke up like a lamb and has been an absolute angel all day. This happens occasionally for about a week and then he goes back to normal. Ive been thinking about these little phases today and have realised that when this happens he also eats rings around himself and have now concluded that this is growth spurts. I dont know why i didnt think of it before. I clearly forgot about growth spurts now that he is older lol anyway I looked it up on a few sites and it seems that growth spurts can contribute to bad behaviour. It wasnt crankiness or tiredness it was pure divilment. Hitting his baby sister and laughing or throwing furniture (freakishly strong like his daddy) anyway thank god he is back to normal. Long may it last lol

I'm feeding my little 3 month old man his bedtime feed now and he keeps coming off the boob, smiling and chatting to me them sucks for another second. I don't predict this goin well for me!!! So cute though!!!

I'm feeding my little 3 month old man his bedtime feed now and he keeps coming off the boob, smiling and chatting to me them sucks for another second. I don't predict this goin well for me!!! So cute though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Question for formula feeders..

What exactly do you do when out and about for the day? And without starting a war, do you make up all the bottles for the day in the morning?

I'm combined feeding at the moment to my 8 week old son. I'm heading out today and for most of it won't be near any kettle anyway so was planning on bringing a couple of made up bottles with me in thermal sleeves. The whole thing with the boiling water has me driven mad as understand the idea of letting it cool to 70 but my phn just told me they have changed the guidelines again to say fill the bottle with required water and only add powder at point of feeding. The guidelines do my head in as they seem to differ so much...like if you do as the box says and make bottle when needed why do they sell bottle warmers and thermal sleeves?

Also, I made up his bottles for the day yesterday at about 9am, he didn't take the last bottle till 11pm...was it ok that it had been "made up" for so long.

And finally, at 8 weeks how long a gap between feeds is ok? He had a feed yesterday at 5pm and didn't feed again till 11pm. We had both fell asleep by accident and when I woke at 11pm I had to wake him up and he didn't even seem that hungry.

I'm still mixing breast milk in the bottles, and only breast feed over night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

If I was going to be out & about for the day I'd just bring a couple of sterilised bottle & a couple of those ready made cartons of formula. Just pour the cartons into the bottle as the baby needs a feed.
    I also never woke my son to feed him that way he started to stretch out his feeds at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I make up my bottles at night for the coming 24hrs. Boil water, cool for 30 mins, formula and water into bottles, shake, cool under tap, fridge. If I'm going out and he'll be having a feed within the next two hours, I take a bottle from the fridge and put it in a thermal sleeve. (it's normally still fridge cold when I take it out) If I'm going to be out for longer than that, I bring a ready made carton and a sterilised bottle, decant it when I need it.

I think (I could be open to correction) that made up formula can be stored in the fridge safely for 24hours, so 9am to 11pm would be fine.

Sweet_pea wrote: »

What exactly do you do when out and about for the day? And without starting a war, do you make up all the bottles for the day in the morning?

I'm combined feeding at the moment to my 8 week old son. I'm heading out today and for most of it won't be near any kettle anyway so was planning on bringing a couple of made up bottles with me in thermal sleeves. The whole thing with the boiling water has me driven mad as understand the idea of letting it cool to 70 but my phn just told me they have changed the guidelines again to say fill the bottle with required water and only add powder at point of feeding. The guidelines do my head in as they seem to differ so much...like if you do as the box says and make bottle when needed why do they sell bottle warmers and thermal sleeves?

Also, I made up his bottles for the day yesterday at about 9am, he didn't take the last bottle till 11pm...was it ok that it had been "made up" for so long.

And finally, at 8 weeks how long a gap between feeds is ok? He had a feed yesterday at 5pm and didn't feed again till 11pm. We had both fell asleep by accident and when I woke at 11pm I had to wake him up and he didn't even seem that hungry.

With regard to the feeding thing and guidelines, I posted this before but worth another mention. A work colleague has her little one in crèche and they aren't allowed to make the bottles so she has to make all the days bottles. They are also left sitting on the counter for the day as they can't heat them for baba and baba takes them at room temp. My colleague was worried about this so she called the formula manufacturer who told her would be fine. Makes you wonder how much the guidelines really matter. I do the whole water in bottle and powder in the little travel dispenser thing or sometimes buy the little bottles of pre made milk if it's going to be a long day

With regard to the feeding thing and guidelines, I posted this before but worth another mention. A work colleague has her little one in crèche and they aren't allowed to make the bottles so she has to make all the days bottles. They are also left sitting on the counter for the day as they can't heat them for baba and baba takes them at room temp. My colleague was worried about this so she called the formula manufacturer who told her would be fine. Makes you wonder how much the guidelines really matter. I do the whole water in bottle and powder in the little travel dispenser thing or sometimes buy the little bottles of pre made milk if it's going to be a long day

I'd be concerned about them being left out all day - most guidelines say they can be left out for 2 hours and then have to be disposed of.

Sweet_pea wrote: »

Also sounds like little one might be ready to do a good stretch for you. Figure out your routine so that 5 bottle turns to 7 and let baba sleep until he wakes. I did 3 hour feeds with my little one and she went 7 to 7 every night since 1 week

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'd be concerned about them being left out all day - most guidelines say they can be left out for 2 hours and then have to be disposed of.

I would be too but milk manufacturer have her the green light on this. On my son I freaked about making the bottles right and if he wasn't himself I'd be thinking it was my fault that I didn't make the bottle right or something but there is some wiggle room with the guidelines and once your fairly close I wouldn't stress too much.

I would be too but milk manufacturer have her the green light on this. On my son I freaked about making the bottles right and if he wasn't himself I'd be thinking it was my fault that I didn't make the bottle right or something but there is some wiggle room with the guidelines and once your fairly close I wouldn't stress too much.

I agree, common sense prevails and all that, but I wouldn't be comfortable eating fresh food that had been left out all day myself, so I certainly wouldn't allow my son to drink milk that had been left out all day. Don't know what I'd do in that situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Well, that's just it. I think I had read about bottles being left out in a creche before and to be honest even people working in the HSE aren't giving the same advice as stated in their own guidelines.

I was out for a good bit yesterday and he ended up having two bottle feeds from that where kept in thermal sleeves...I know myself I would use milk kept in a thermal sleeve, have even drank it just kept in a normal container on a hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

When I had a wedding to go to when my son was 3 weeks old I brought the bottles with just the water in them and little travel tubs with the right amount of scoops. PHN said that was fine that everyone has there own way and I never had any problems.

Just saying what I did as another point of view I know it's not by guidelines so no need to tell me so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Strerilised bottle in sandwich bag, and a bottle of readymade formula. Luckily he takes his bottles at room temperature (or even straight from the fridge!), would be a pain in the ass finding somewhere to heat it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Id really like to see these new guidelines. Id be pretty anal about making up bottles if I'm honest. Having my second baby hopefully in the next week so will definitely be asking about these new guidelines and whether they have been published yet... As per OPs PHN.

Strerilised bottle in sandwich bag, and a bottle of readymade formula. Luckily he takes his bottles at room temperature (or even straight from the fridge!), would be a pain in the ass finding somewhere to heat it up.
    I didn't bottlefeed (well I give normal milk in a bottle now, but there aren't the same sterilisation issues at 2 years old!) but my son can eat his meals cold, this was very handy for when we were out and about, because we didn't have to worry about getting food heated up (and I preferred to give him cool meals in the summer because it gets so hot, didn't want to be heating him up unnecessarily).

I just came accross this recipe if there are any mammys out there with baked bean fiends. For younger babas the honey and chilli flakes couldn't go in but still looks very interesting. Can't wait to try it : http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/baked_beans_in_tomato_sauce/

My 11 month old loves beans it's unreal how much

My 11 month old loves beans it's unreal how much

My 10 month old had them for the first time the other day and absolutely mauled them. If I make up a big batch and freeze them every now and again I can have them to hand and don't have to deal with the guilt of feeding her rubbish lol

• Advertisement

Exactly there the reason he eats potatoes I mixed em through and he ate them up until that he wouldn't touch em

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We don't bother heating beans in our house, he can eat them straight from the can if he is having a strop when we are out. There's always a small can of beans in the changing bag. You never know when you'll need them! Hard to find a microwave when you're out in the park, or down the town.

Well I handed in the paperwork for a school place next year. Fingers crossed we get our first choice! It's only nursery school, but it is part of the primary school.

My little man is not happy today. He was awake alot during the night. Wasn't very upset just awake and givin out a little. Now today he does a hysterical cry and then is happy and laughing!! I'm thinking teeth. Anyone else have anything similar? He is 16 weeks so I'm presuming we are going to go through the sleep regression now or soon!! We went through 4 bibs in an hour yesterday with drool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

What's the babysitting rate nowadays? I'm going our tomorrow and my neighbour is minding A. First time leaving her with a non family member! Gonna be so nervous! I'll be gone roughly from 9-1.. What would you say it would cost?

• Advertisement
Advertisement