Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

loubian wrote: »
    What's the babysitting rate nowadays? I'm going our tomorrow and my neighbour is minding A. First time leaving her with a non family member! Gonna be so nervous! I'll be gone roughly from 9-1.. What would you say it would cost?

7-8 EUR an hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

loubian wrote: »
    What's the babysitting rate nowadays? I'm going our tomorrow and my neighbour is minding A. First time leaving her with a non family member! Gonna be so nervous! I'll be gone roughly from 9-1.. What would you say it would cost?

I'm not sure. I would say about 10? I got about that 15/16 years ago

My son is currently having the biggest meltdown I've ever seen him have. He was acting out and then pulled the face off his sister. I turned his cartoons off and he didn't even flinch so I took his tablet and he didn't care much either so I took a box of smarties out of the press (saving them for after his dinner today as his grandad brought them round for him yesterday evening and it was too late) and I threw them in the bin. He is going demented. I think the worst thing is he didn't know they were there so when he seen them he was excited and then they went in the bin. He is going absolutely cracked so I know it sounds bad but I feel like I've finally won. Thinking chair etc doesn't bother him at all he thinks it's funny

Panic over. We just watched toy story together and now were friends again :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

4 month sleep regression :'(

J is just over 16 weeks and for 3 nights now he is fussing and awake talking and giving out all night!!! Ended up feedin him two hours early to settle him to sleep for just 2 hours!!! Please don't let it last long!!! Any tips?

J is just over 16 weeks and for 3 nights now he is fussing and awake talking and giving out all night!!! Ended up feedin him two hours early to settle him to sleep for just 2 hours!!! Please don't let it last long!!! Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Had the best day ever today. There is always a big parade of marching bands here on the Sunday closest to the 17th and we went along today. I was a bit nervous S would be frightened by the noise but he just had the best time. I'd carried him into town in the sling and brought along his harness so he could get down into the middle of everything and he just had so much fun. First he followed the parade all the way up to the staging area where he watched all the bands get ready and danced along while they practised. Then we followed the route back to the park at the end where the bands had a mini concert after they finished marching and we met some cousins there who aren't too much older than him and he had the best fun with them.

The downside is that apart from a snooze on my back for the last 10 minutes of our walk home he had no nap, so between carrying him, following him up and down the parade route/around the park and not having my precious, precious, sanity saving his nap time, I am wrecked as I'm all alone with him this weekend as even my parents are away.

And the best bit is..................... we get to do it all again tomorrow!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ashcon

I feel your pain, we are in the same boat here. 20 weeks old and sleep is all over the place past week. He is teething like mad and I feel so sorry for him, wud love some tips as to getting sleep back on track. I lost count of the amount of times I was up to give him back the soother last nite, he would settle for 10/15 mins with it and then back to square one. It's hard to hear him crying, not sure how good id be at letting him cry it out...

ashcon wrote: »
    I feel your pain, we are in the same boat here. 20 weeks old and sleep is all over the place past week. He is teething like mad and I feel so sorry for him, wud love some tips as to getting sleep back on track. I lost count of the amount of times I was up to give him back the soother last nite, he would settle for 10/15 mins with it and then back to square one. It's hard to hear him crying, not sure how good id be at letting him cry it out...

We are the very same!! I'd also love tips. I'm terrified of getting into bad habits and he will unlearn to self soothe!!

Sorry this is not really topic related but I needed to get it out.
    My friends husband got killed on a farm yesterday. I'm devastated. Her two kids are the same age as mine and I don't know what I would do if anything happened my husband. Their baby is just 5 weeks. Life is cruel. I've been Crying all day. I just can't stop. My two near old has come running to give me cuddles. It breaks my heart knowin her little friend won't get to hug his daddy. Sorry for the vent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My friends husband got killed on a farm yesterday. I'm devastated. Her two kids are the same age as mine and I don't know what I would do if anything happened my husband. Their baby is just 5 weeks. Life is cruel. I've been Crying all day. I just can't stop. My two near old has come running to give me cuddles. It breaks my heart knowin her little friend won't get to hug his daddy. Sorry for the vent!

So sorry to hear that red fraggle. It really doesn't bear thinking about. Vent away if you need it.

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that red fraggle. It really doesn't bear thinking about. Vent away if you need it.[/quo

Thanks! I think I'm thinking too much about it and imaginin what it's goin to be like for her from next week on doing everythin alone. Not having your partner to share the load or relay the good things that happened or just have a cuddle and company. I'm devastated. My heart is broke. They were so well suited to each other. It's just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

OMG Red that's heartbreaking, makes all the moaning we do day to day seem so trival.

Roesy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that red fraggle. It really doesn't bear thinking about. Vent away if you need it.[/quo

Thanks! I think I'm thinking too much about it and imaginin what it's goin to be like for her from next week on doing everythin alone. Not having your partner to share the load or relay the good things that happened or just have a cuddle and company. I'm devastated. My heart is broke. They were so well suited to each other. It's just awful.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    OMG Red that's heartbreaking, makes all the moaning we do day to day seem so trival.

I know. I feel stupid for my moans now!

Ms2011 wrote: »

I know. I feel stupid for my moans now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

God what a tragedy Red, your poor friend. It's hard not to think about it and think about what if it was you, especially since you both have children the same age. Very very sad, life can be so cruel sometimes. *hugs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Gosh Red, that's awful. Your poor friend. My husband died suddenly four years ago - don't underestimate the support you will be to your friend in the weeks and months to come. I couldn't have got through it without my good friends and family. It's just awful to think of her coping with small kids alone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh that's awful Red Fraggle. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh god - so sorry to hear that :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Oh no red fraggle, that is truly awful :(
    Your poor friend. My sympathies to everyone affected.

Went to the wake today. It was awful but I felt better being there and felt a sense of calm seeing him. Weird I know. Still can't believe it though. It hasn't sunk in for his wife yet.

Went to the wake today. It was awful but I felt better being there and felt a sense of calm seeing him. Weird I know. Still can't believe it though. It hasn't sunk in for his wife yet.

So sorry to hear about your friend red! There are no words. Hope you are doing ok :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Sorry to hear Red Fraggle. It's good that you are there for your friend.

I am freaking out a bit at the moment - our dogs were in a kennel for a week while we were home in Ireland and now one of them is coughing badly and it sounds exactly like kennel cough, even though he was vaccinated last year.
    I am worried that it could transfer to the baby because it's the same strain virus as the whooping cough. I have read horrible things online. We are going to go to the vet tomorrow if the dog is still coughing. Our baby had his 3 month vaccination including whooping cough vaccine just a week ago, but he has to get two more rounds of that vaccination so I assume it's not in full effect yet?
    I feel like taking him and leaving the house for a week or so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Im so so sorry to hear that really tragic story red :( I just cant imagine and cant even let myself imagine :(
    And Nikpmp - im so sorry to hear of your own loss those few year ago - its hearing things like this that just stops me in my tracks and makes me realise just how precious life is.

With regard to the vaccines - im not sure about that specifiv one but many of them start to take effect within a few days but just would not have developed full resistance usually for 10-21 days, but would have some protection, they are usually totally effective then - the reason you need to get them readminsitered is to ensure the body maintains the response/antibodies in the long term. Im not saying that one specifically but it is often the case. No harm to bring him to the vet anyway and see if kennel cough is the diagnosis and then perhaps ring ur public health nurse of gp nurse to see about the babies susceptability within that time frame. I suppose watching out for it though even if your baby was exposed would mean you would get hime the attention he needs so quickly and hopefully then he would suffer no complications.

My littlest one is ten months now and ive had two periods the last couple months and i still feel like my hormones are all over the place! im just short fused and have little patience - actually i just have little patience for adults - the children im fine with!! maybe im using up all my patience with them :rolleyes:
    They are being great lately and things have gotten dramatically easier in the last month or so. my eldest has turned two and is hard work but can now be reasoned with...and bribed:D and the ten month old is getting very fedup not being able to move and is really coming into her own! she fighting back now...my eldest is scared:p

Sorry to hear Red Fraggle. It's good that you are there for your friend.

I am freaking out a bit at the moment - our dogs were in a kennel for a week while we were home in Ireland and now one of them is coughing badly and it sounds exactly like kennel cough, even though he was vaccinated last year.
    I am worried that it could transfer to the baby because it's the same strain virus as the whooping cough. I have read horrible things online. We are going to go to the vet tomorrow if the dog is still coughing. Our baby had his 3 month vaccination including whooping cough vaccine just a week ago, but he has to get two more rounds of that vaccination so I assume it's not in full effect yet?
    I feel like taking him and leaving the house for a week or so!

God I'd say your nerves are gone. I hear it's pretty rare but can happen. Could you try to keep the dog in a different area of the house when baba is up during the day? If you have a spare room even that you could just stick a stair gate up in the door or something to keep the dog in (prob wouldn't work for a big dog) or Would a family member or friend take the dog for a while until it clears?

dublinlady wrote: »
    Im so so sorry to hear that really tragic story red :( I just cant imagine and cant even let myself imagine :(
    And Nikpmp - im so sorry to hear of your own loss those few year ago - its hearing things like this that just stops me in my tracks and makes me realise just how precious life is.

With regard to the vaccines - im not sure about that specifiv one but many of them start to take effect within a few days but just would not have developed full resistance usually for 10-21 days, but would have some protection, they are usually totally effective then - the reason you need to get them readminsitered is to ensure the body maintains the response/antibodies in the long term. Im not saying that one specifically but it is often the case. No harm to bring him to the vet anyway and see if kennel cough is the diagnosis and then perhaps ring ur public health nurse of gp nurse to see about the babies susceptability within that time frame. I suppose watching out for it though even if your baby was exposed would mean you would get hime the attention he needs so quickly and hopefully then he would suffer no complications.

My littlest one is ten months now and ive had two periods the last couple months and i still feel like my hormones are all over the place! im just short fused and have little patience - actually i just have little patience for adults - the children im fine with!! maybe im using up all my patience with them :rolleyes:
    They are being great lately and things have gotten dramatically easier in the last month or so. my eldest has turned two and is hard work but can now be reasoned with...and bribed:D and the ten month old is getting very fedup not being able to move and is really coming into her own! she fighting back now...my eldest is scared:p

Omg your house sounds like the mirror of mine ha ha except my son is 3. My little girl is really standing up for herself at 10 months aswell now. She screeched at him for taking a balloon off her yesterday. She has started moving at last but no crawling. Just bumming all over the place lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

yeah - the pair of them cant decide whether they love eachother or hate eachother!! half the time the 2 year old is trying to feed the ten month old her lunch or give her kisses - half the time shes pushing her over or wanting every single toy she touches! lots of tantrums and i swear if i say 'sharing is caring' one more time i might explode :D
    Still the cuteness outweighs the psychotic tantrums just about!!
    my ten month old not crawling at all - up on all fours rocking and will stand but cant pull her self up - i say cant - she doesnt try - she just sits there mesmerised by the 2 year old! and the dog has taken to hiding under the table :o

dublinlady wrote: »
    yeah - the pair of them cant decide whether they love eachother or hate eachother!! half the time the 2 year old is trying to feed the ten month old her lunch or give her kisses - half the time shes pushing her over or wanting every single toy she touches! lots of tantrums and i swear if i say 'sharing is caring' one more time i might explode :D
    Still the cuteness outweighs the psychotic tantrums just about!!
    my ten month old not crawling at all - up on all fours rocking and will stand but cant pull her self up - i say cant - she doesnt try - she just sits there mesmerised by the 2 year old! and the dog has taken to hiding under the table :o

I hate to tell you the terrible twos have nothing on the tantrum threes lol

When there is love between them it's half the battle. he hasn't asked me to give her away anyway so that's a good sign :-P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry to read that RF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend red fraggle. Such a tragedy.

If anyone is looking for baby toothbrushes I got this one for my little lady and it's a BIG hit http://www.brushbaby.co.uk/products/Chewable-Toothbrush-and-Teether.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

neither our vet nor our doc had a clue whether a baby can get whooping cough from a dog with kennel cough :mad: I took the baby to my parents-in-law yesterday morning and we will be staying here for a few days - at least until our dogs stop coughing.

Our little one has been around the dogs for a week now, since they came back from the kennels, before their symptoms appeared - so if he is still grand in a few days then it is probably the case that they can't infect him, or that his vaccination has worked. I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

If anyone is looking for baby toothbrushes I got this one for my little lady and it's a BIG hit http://www.brushbaby.co.uk/products/Chewable-Toothbrush-and-Teether.html

Hi Emma, just wondering at what point you started brushing your little ones teeth? I've heard of people brushing when they only have gums to get them used to the idea but I've no idea when I'm supposed to start! Little one is only 3 months, no teeth and no solids just yet. Just wondering when everyone else started doing this or if there's a marker such as when she gets her first tooth or starts solids or anything?

Cheers :)

sonners wrote: »
    Hi Emma, just wondering at what point you started brushing your little ones teeth? I've heard of people brushing when they only have gums to get them used to the idea but I've no idea when I'm supposed to start! Little one is only 3 months, no teeth and no solids just yet. Just wondering when everyone else started doing this or if there's a marker such as when she gets her first tooth or starts solids or anything?

Your supposed to start pretty much straight away however when they were tiny I didnt want to start going at them with toothbrushes so I waited until the 3 month mark with both. You can get brilliant gum wipes for pre teeth babies. I used them with my little girl for a while. The same company that makes that toothbrush I posted makes them. You can get them in boots :-)

These are the wipes :-D http://www.brushbaby.co.uk/products/Dental-Wipes-Single-box-of-28.html

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

thanks very much for the info and the link Emma. another one of those things I didn't realise I was supposed to be doing!

thanks very much for the info and the link Emma. another one of those things I didn't realise I was supposed to be doing!

Ha ha you wouldn't be alone there. I'm a lot better on my 2nd but still new things are popping up just from conversations with other mammys lol I have my 'oops' face perfected :-P

So the funeral was horrific yesterday. That's all I can say. Now back to discussing my babies!!

J is 4 months and still in his sleep regression! Ifs not awful awful but Wales at 3.30 every night. He won't settle back with a dummie. Thought he was hungry but no, feed for 5 mins and is conked! Really hoping he settles soon. On the good side though I can really see him developing. Laughin at his sister, following everything, holding toys. The last 2 days he is not saying as much so hoping we are nearing the end of the growth spurt.

• Advertisement

So the funeral was horrific yesterday. That's all I can say. Now back to discussing my babies!!

J is 4 months and still in his sleep regression! Ifs not awful awful but Wales at 3.30 every night. He won't settle back with a dummie. Thought he was hungry but no, feed for 5 mins and is conked! Really hoping he settles soon. On the good side though I can really see him developing. Laughin at his sister, following everything, holding toys. The last 2 days he is not saying as much so hoping we are nearing the end of the growth spurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Just wondering, how long would you think it's OK to let a ten-week-old nap in a bouncer during the day? Or is it best not to let him sleep there at all, and put him in his cot/carrycot every time? It's this one. It's really hard to predict his nap times, so I'm never sure if he's just dozing off for a few minutes or if he'll be in there a while ... I hate waking him to move him though! :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just wondering, how long would you think it's OK to let a ten-week-old nap in a bouncer during the day? Or is it best not to let him sleep there at all, and put him in his cot/carrycot every time? It's this one. It's really hard to predict his nap times, so I'm never sure if he's just dozing off for a few minutes or if he'll be in there a while ... I hate waking him to move him though! :o

I'll probably get slaughtered for saying this- but just put a blanket over him to make sure he doesn't get cold, and he's fine. Ours loved falling asleap in their bouncer chairs- it played Claire de Lun which they found soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 incaseiforget

He will be fine! As per previous...blankie and keep an eye! We have five and no harm done...we hope!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

He'll be grand, my lad snoozes on a beanbag, car seat, reclining highchair, couch... put a blanket on him & keep an eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

If they're asleep let them sleep doesn't matter where they are once they're safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

lmullen wrote: »
    If they're asleep let them sleep doesn't matter where they are once they're safe.
    They shouldn't be allowed to sleep in car seats for longer that 2 hours (I think that's the time limit) when their necks aren't strong enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

They shouldn't be allowed to sleep in car seats for longer that 2 hours (I think that's the time limit) when their necks aren't strong enough.

I thought it was 30mins at a time? As it happened our little fella was so refluxy that we were told to let him sleep in seat. Now I'm a little bit older and wiser, I would say just do whatever works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

yellow hen wrote: »
    I thought it was 30mins at a time? As it happened our little fella was so refluxy that we were told to let him sleep in seat. Now I'm a little bit older and wiser, I would say just do whatever works for you.

Two hours is the recommended time in a car seat and then stop for a break.

• Advertisement

Just looking for opinions or experiences or anything!!

J is 18 weeks and goin through the sleep regression. The thing is at night he seems unsettled and uncomfortable for the entire night and whinges. Anyone else's baby like this? He also farts alot at these times. And he is teething!! I'm not sure what is actually bothering him. I end up feeding him to settle him but this didn't even work last night. Mostly he is not bothered feeding. During the day he is pretty happy. Sleep deprivation is starting to kick in for me now though!

Advertisement