Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu for day-to-day college

Options
  • 04-01-2012 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi

I've done a bit of research but some more opinions would help

Would Ubuntu be ok for word processing? Would it run MS Word or could I convert in and out of .docx to .odf, for collaberation with people running MS word?

Would it connect to college wifi ok?

Also my computer is a 64-bit but people are still recommending I go for the 32-bit ubuntu because I'm not running anything heavy, any opinions?

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

cautionary.png

just keep using windows or dual boot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

spagboll wrote: »
    Hi

I've done a bit of research but some more opinions would help

Would Ubuntu be ok for word processing? Would it run MS Word or could I convert in and out of .docx to .odf, for collaberation with people running MS word?

LibreOffice has pretty good .docx support, should be good enough for most peoples needs.

Would it connect to college wifi ok?

No problem.

Also my computer is a 64-bit but people are still recommending I go for the 32-bit ubuntu because I'm not running anything heavy, any opinions?

many thanks

Doesn't really matter too much, no real reason not to go 64 bit unless you are aware of a specific program you will that has issues with running under a 64 bit distro (There shouldn't be too many nowadays I would think).

Advertisement