Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for introducing adult dog to new home

• 04-01-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

We are getting a 2 year female golden retriever on Friday (we're very excited ;-).

Does anybody have any tips for introducing a new adult dog into a household (I have 3 young children)? I want to make her transition as smooth as possible, for her and us.

Should I restrict her to one area? Should I wait to walk her? Should I let her sleep in with us for the first couple of nights? Lots of questions ;-)

(FYI the GR grew up with young children, and is great with them)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://petcentral.yolasite.com/printables.php

Check out the introductions section. You can also use a baby-gate to confine her to the kitchen until you're happy that she's settled and has stuck to her house-training.

Even though she's already been with young children, maintain strict supervision at all times and don't let them crowd her.

Start as you mean to go on and establish your house rules and stick to them from the word go, there's no need for her to sleep in with you if that's not where she'll be sleeping in the future. Crate training might also be a good idea, see Doggie Den on the site above.

You can walk her as long as she's got all her vaccinations, just make sure she's wearing a collar and tag before you do in case she makes a run for it in an unfamiliar place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Great, thanks for the reply and the link to the website.

Advertisement