Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole Cooked Chicken from Supermarket Hot Counter

Options
  • 04-01-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi,

Quick question, those cooked whole chickens that you can buy in a supermarket from the hot counter area, does anyone know if they are they healthily cooked or are they full of additives and oils etc? They are better value than the packed cooked chicken breast which feel more rubbery than chickeny!

Thanks
    Niamh

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They are generally slathered in oil before being rotisserie cooked, so not overly healthy no.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Ahh right, thanks for that! I don't eat chicken skin, would that make any difference to the chicken being dunked in oil?!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say the fat content in them is way higher than in chicken breast which tends to be poached. If you use a lot of it, it would be worth buying chicken fillets, wrapping them tightly in clingfilm and boiling them for 20-30 minutes. Slice them, freeze them in bags and take them out as you need them. Fat-free and delicious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I'd say the fat content in them is way higher than in chicken breast which tends to be poached. If you use a lot of it, it would be worth buying chicken fillets, wrapping them tightly in clingfilm and boiling them for 20-30 minutes. Slice them, freeze them in bags and take them out as you need them. Fat-free and delicious :)

If you are going to go down the poaching route then it would be more cost effective to poach a whole chicken or at very least part boned, fillets IMO are a complete rip off not to mentain tasteless.

I'm not sure why you would wrap them in clingfilm either. Whenever I poach chicken I flavour the water with different things like peppercorns, chilli, ginger etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look at the price of them, all that cheap chicken is the same, force grown in a few weeks, fed as cheaply as possible on GM feed and sold as cheaply as possible.
    If you want flavour and a better quality chicken you have to pay for it.
    If you pay 3-5 euro for a bird this is what you will get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

copacetic wrote: »
    They are generally slathered in oil before being rotisserie cooked, so not overly healthy no.
    I never heard of this before, I have seen ones going in a few times and they always looked dry to me (except ones specifically stated as flavoured/basted). They do come out with far more oily & moist than a typical overcooked Irish Mammy roast chicken, but this is since its a rotisserie so is self basting, and done in the correct cooking time, usually a lot shorter as the chicken itself is smaller.

Advertisement