Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I learn Java?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if learning Java would be a good idea in order to secure a job in development. I have an undergrad degree in Computer Systems and C++ experience. I'm currnently working on an open-source software package using C++ which has given me a lot of OOP experience.
    However, most of the jobs out there seem to require Java. I know it's not a big leap from C++ to Java, but I have no industry experience with it and so employers may not be interested in me anyway? So should I learn it in order to get a development job?

Thanks.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If your any use at C++ youll pick up Java in a week, so why not? Wont do you any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Should you learn Java? Yes indeed! Tons of online material, its opensource so you can get your IDE's free, and you'll be learning a great deal of c# into the bargain also. The two languages are very similar, fundamentally identical throughout a great portion of their syntax.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, and you should learn other languages too. Having many strings to your bow is a good idea, and breadth of knowledge & experience will aid you in many ways.

Example: I started as a cobol programmer, and got familiar with many big-iron type languages (Easytrieve, REXX etc). I then self-converted to Java, and have a passing familiarity with other OO languages, along with other bits & bobs like PL/SQL. Having a range of experiences of the good and bad points of all these assist me with making informed choices as to the tech to use in the solution of the problem at hand.

Programming languages are like tools - you use the right one in the right place. Being able to use a screwdriver as well as a hammer, while having the option to use a vice-grips, makes life easier in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Yea go for it. If you can code in C++, then you will find java easy. C# could be another option, if you want to stay with the C languages :) Java/C# have the same learning curve

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I agree with everyone else, its definitely worth learning as it is so commonly used.
    As others have said, if you have a good understanding of c++, java should be a fairly easy learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I need to start some sort of project using Java.......I think that would be the best way to learn it. I take it I'll need the JDK? Or I could use Eclipse? Apologies for the noob questions!

You will need the JDK. I believe that you can get it in the same download as eclipse if you choose the relavent option on the site. (though its been a while since i got it so I may be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

omen80 wrote: »
    I take it I'll need the JDK? Or I could use Eclipse? Apologies for the noob questions!
    You will need the JDK but depending on what operating system you are using you may not have to download and install it.

Mac: Its already included.
    Windows: You need to download it, install it and set class paths.

I would highly recommend you use eclipse as an IDE. As far as I know you will need the JDK as well as eclipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I don't see why not. Learning Java when you already have C++ should no problem and you're right, many jobs do ask for Java. And they will hold it against you if you don't have Java even if you have a Methusaleh's Lifetime's C++ experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd recommend looking into both Java and C# at the same time. The language structure in both is very similar and both give you an entry point into differing technologies. They also work in a similar way, both using a virtual machine / runtime structure. It'd be a nice addition to your experience into C++ as well.

• Advertisement

Also, if you are hoping to use it for business type applications I would recommend learning spring once you are comfortable with java

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How about the other way, learning c++ if all you know is java?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 EasyGame

I went C++ -> Java personally however I would find that coding C++ with Visual Studio to be similar to coding Java with Eclipse.

It's definitely worth knowing, and you definitely won't struggle with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lowlifer

How about the other way, learning c++ if all you know is java?

Java -> C++ is going to be way harder than the other way around. But I think it's needed, all good developers should know C and C++.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

There are more jobs in Java, but are they the type of work that you actually want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lowlifer

@p: Why wouldn't they be? it's not like C++ is for the elite developers only, while Java is for sub-mediocre programmers who don't have a degree.

Yes, C++ is harder to use and faster (more hardcore?), but at the end of the day it's about using a tool, getting something done and being paid.

I agree that there are way more Java jobs, but they probably pay less than most C++ jobs, so it balances out. Knowing an extra language, however, tips the scale. I say go for learning as many languages as possible, Java included.

Advertisement