Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse board question

• 04-01-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi all. went around the house trying to figure out what was what.

I got the attice converted 2 years ago and have started renting so this is why i want to check.

There is 2 trips with sockets wrote on them which turn off the sitting room and kitchen.

However,

No other trip switch turns off the upstairs bedrooms or attic room.

I need to switch the rcd off to turn off these rooms

why would this be the case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

all socket mcbs/trip switch are feed by the rcd are you sure you havnt missed any mcbs look for 20 amp rating can you post a pic of the fuse board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ok this is going to sound bizarre.

U see the switch that says Attic

If i press that down nothing happens.

U see the immersion switch beside it.

Now If i press them both down the bedrooms and attics switch off.

If I switch 1 back up wether it be immersion or attic the power still stays off.

I switch them both up the power is back on

ps i have no clue what the switches beside the bell transformer are for

• Registered Users Posts: 16 west boy

To Me it sounds like the attic and bedrooms upstairs are on a ring circuit which should be on the one mcb, I don't understand why you have to put both back up to get the power back on though as either one of the 2 should bring the power back on. the Rcbo beside the bell traffo might be a shower unit or outside shed?

might be a ring circuit in the attic split over 2 mcbs youd have to look inside to be sure what electrical work was done when you converted the attic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Ok this is going to sound bizarre.

U see the switch that says Attic

U see the immersion switch beside it.

Now If i press them both down the bedrooms and attics switch off.
    When i read to here, i was thinking a ring main with the 2 ends into 2 different MCBs (attic and immersion), and the immersion into the immersion MCB.
    If I switch 1 back up wether it be immersion or attic the power still stays off.

I switch them both up the power is back on

But if it was a ring main going to 2 different MCBs, either MCB on would have the affected circuit(s) on. What were you using to show the circuit is on or off?

• Advertisement

I was just switching them back up 1 at a time. Maye im wrong ill check that again tomorrow. It makes sense what use say about the ring circuit.

But should they be in a ring?

Should the bedrooms/ attic and immersion not be seperate?

BTW posted above was right about the other switches its for the power shower. didnt even think of it

I was just switching them back up 1 at a time. Maye im wrong ill check that again tomorrow. It makes sense what use say about the ring circuit.

BTW posted above was right about the other switches its for the power shower. didnt even think of it

they can be on a ring but on a larger rated mcb the immersion should be seperate how many sockets is there in the attic + bedroom alltogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The attic sockets could be on a ring, but both ends should then be into the same attic MCB. Sometimes the ring circuit ends get mixed up and into seperate MCBs, so if one end was in the attic MCB, and the other was in the immersion one, then the immersion and sockets in the ring would all stay on until both MCBs are off.

This might not be the problem. It needs positive accurate testing of what MCBs are doing what.

concur4u? wrote: »
    they can be on a ring but on a larger rated mcb the immersion should be seperate how many sockets is there in the attic + bedroom alltogether

There is 8 sockets in the attic.

There is 3 bedrooms.

1 has 6 sockets
    1 has 4 sockets
    1 has 2 sockets

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Time to get a qualified electrician in. I think you will find that this is a simple fix, but it is important!

• Advertisement

There is 8 sockets in the attic.

There is 3 bedrooms.

1 has 6 sockets
    1 has 4 sockets
    1 has 2 sockets
    as above you should call out an electricain for a visual inspection and testing of what 20amp mcbs are doing what
    going on that amount of sockets there should 2 sperate 20amp and also 1 for the immersion if radail circuits but they could be covered by 1 dedicated mcb in a ring as said above should be a simple fix

Advertisement