Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to oz alone so where should I head for work in april/may?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey lads/gals as the title says iam going to oz on me leaving hopefuly in april /may .just wondering where would be my best place to go to? Probaly be looking for cons work as I have 3 years and six months done of an apprenticeship as an electrican thanks in advance rj..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

So your not qualified? Is there no way you can get your qualification in Ireland before you leave? It is hard enough for qualified lads with a few years experience to get a job without an australian licience
    Sorry to be a downer on the situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

So your not qualified? Is there no way you can get your qualification in Ireland before you leave? It is hard enough for qualified lads with a few years experience to get a job without an australian licience Sorry to be a downer on the situation!
    Hey no theres not as I am finished work in march and I have a 11week college stint to do and I was told I won't get my place till next september so I can't stay on the dole for six months and there's notin I can do for my apprenticeship till I get my coll+phase+done.+.
    so+iam+tinkin+of+going+over+for+seven+months+and+
    doing+my+regional+so+as+I+can+get+my+second+year.+.
    and+doing+a+bit+of+traveling+for+the+last+two+or+three+months.+.
    so+just+looking+for+all+the+help+I+can+get+cause+its+
    hard+trying+to+organise+it+on+me+own.+.are+you+in+oz+now?+:-D

Mod I have asked you several times - please no text speak ... or+this+what+ever+way+your+phone
    it is unreadable ... please edit your post

Oh right, that sucks. Well ya if you could get your regional work done and go back that wouldnt be bad, can you drive tractors? If you can your sorted. No I am in Ireland now, heading back at the start of feb tho.

Yea that's wat I plan on doing. I can yes lol. Oh you were there before? You like it tell all? :-D where should I had for ?I don't realy mind haveing to go on me own just wanna have a plan in place !s

• Registered Users Posts: 23 misan9

You can get a 2 year visa straight away now. No farm work necessary,which is lucky seeing as most of it is slave labour but I suppose it was still the best fun out there! Mod - Completely false

I'm just back myself after a year. Sydney had alot of construction work. Brisbane had feck all. Don't really know about Melbourne and from what I hear Perth is swarming with construction jobs. With your experience you will have no problem whatsoever getting labouring in the cities. Its not as good money as being qualified obviously but its still class money.

Ive often heard stories of people in the rural towns and cities who pick up work as a tradie even though they are not fully qualified. Its alot less strict out there. Might be something to think about.

• Advertisement

misan9 wrote: »
    You can get a 2 year visa straight away now. No farm work necessary,which is lucky seeing as most of it is slave labour but I suppose it was still the best fun out there!

Where did you read this? I have heard pub gossip about it but so far cannot find anything to back it up on the immigration website. The only thing I have seen was an article in the news paper which really wasnt a two year visa, you still had to go help out in the flood affected regions as a tradie/construction worker which was always the case!

I didn't hear anything official. It's just everyone was talking about it over there just before I came home so I just assumed they couldn't all be wrong!

Ya sorry I wasnt saying your wrong. I was just wondering if it is actually true! I heard a few people talking about it to but I cant find anything about it so I was just seeing if you knew :D

The more I think about it the more I start to believe that its bullsh!t....... Nobody was able to say where they heard about it that I can think of!

I bet it's like that year at Oxegen 2008, maybe? Where everyone in the campsite was saying that Amy Winehouse wasn't playing because she died of a drug overdose....... Although they weren't far out that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

misan9 wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I start to believe that its bullsh!t

Start to believe? You know you can always just look it up immi.gov.au
    or else have a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Ya sorry I wasnt saying your wrong. I was just wondering if it is actually true! I heard a few people talking about it to but I cant find anything about it so I was just seeing if you knew :D
    He is wrong. Just because ' everyone' is saying it doesn't mean its true. They will never get rid of the regional work. If they did they would have no one to pick all the fruit and do all the other sh!t jobs. If its not on the immigration website then its not true. I've been here for nearly 4 years and I've heard some right good ones in the pubs.
    OP as an electrician over here I would say do whatever you can to finish your apprenticeship. Without being qualified you can still get work as a trade assistant but will get paid less for doing the same work as the qualified lads. Also if you have any interest in going to work in the mines or getting sponsored or applying for residency then you will need to be qualified.

Hey mod sorry about that it won't happen again had to change a setting on my phone sorry.

aido79 wrote: »
    He is wrong. Just because ' everyone' is saying it doesn't mean its true. They will never get rid of the regional work. If they did they would have no one to pick all the fruit and do all the other sh!t jobs. If its not on the immigration website then its not true. I've been here for nearly 4 years and I've heard some right good ones in the pubs.

Ya I didnt think it was true! The other thing is they just dont have the workers to do it! They need young, fit workers inthe country and there arent enough that want to stay out in the countryside

Advertisement