Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining goldstone gym

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

I'm in Kingfisher the last 4 years and enjoy it in there. I find the staff in there helpful but only when approached. I have to agree I've never been approached to ask how I'm getting on except by accounts dept when my annual membership is due? I visited Goldstone out of curiosity a few months ago and was well impressed, better equipment and more of it! If it wasn't for the fact that I do so much swimming, I would definitely join up. If weights were my thing but not to the extent that I wanted to join a weight lifting club, agian I would definitely rate Goldstone over Kingfisher. In general gyms are too expensive in Waterford though. That's my tuppence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

roy7 wrote: »
    Cheers bat mike!! new trainer is he / she any good!? anyone i shud avoid!?! lol
    just checked that deal witht hem, classes are included , fitness testing is not, still damn good!

I would recommend the fitness test... let's just say it taught me a lot about me level of *ahem* fitness lol :D Don't know about a new trainer yet, newest trainer there is Joe, he's there about a month, sound as a pound. All the trainers are nice though in fairness.
    Spins wrote: »
    I'm in Kingfisher the last 4 years and enjoy it in there. I find the staff in there helpful but only when approached. I have to agree I've never been approached to ask how I'm getting on except by accounts dept when my annual membership is due? I visited Goldstone out of curiosity a few months ago and was well impressed, better equipment and more of it! If it wasn't for the fact that I do so much swimming, I would definitely join up. If weights were my thing but not to the extent that I wanted to join a weight lifting club, agian I would definitely rate Goldstone over Kingfisher. In general gyms are too expensive in Waterford though. That's my tuppence.

I was the same as you. In the end I decided to go to Goldstone and if I really really wanted a swim I'd just go down to Kingfisher and use the pool. I wouldn't put down Kingfisher as such, it's not a terrible place or anything, we need the variety in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roy7

Yeah think i will go to goldstone this week if that offer is still on, heard the instructors give some tough classes and are very friendly! Dunno which i prefer the toughness or friendliness! I'm not much of a swimmer so it makes sense with no pool all classes and good instructors!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Im currently in Spirit Gym on the quy. Very good gym but pity the weights area is so small.

The swimming pool is also very good (I cant swim but i paid 200 odd for memebership so i have a rite to use the pool lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Im currently in Spirit Gym on the quy. Very good gym but pity the weights area is so small.

The swimming pool is also very good (I cant swim but i paid 200 odd for memebership so i have a rite to use the pool lol)

Weird, what do you do in the pool so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Weird, what do you do in the pool so?

I hope he doesn't answer either number 1 or number 2.

Would be weary of a gym coming out with an offer like that all of a sudden, wouldn't be surprised of the place was closed within 6 months. Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Would be weary of a gym coming out with an offer like that all of a sudden, wouldn't be surprised of the place was closed within 6 months. Sad but true.

:eek::eek::eek: I never thought about it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the fella that owns goldstone owns the building and the kitchen place beside it so there no chance of closing up shop as the only overheads are wages and utility bills

the fella that owns goldstone owns the building and the kitchen place beside it so there no chance of closing up shop as the only overheads are wages and utility bills

That's a relief to hear, hope you're right.

• Advertisement

That's a relief to hear, hope you're right.
    its only a promo there running i'm sure they'll be doin loads of em to gain new members, shur they only increased the size of the male change rooms and got few new machine in, as there saying on there facebook page "as our membership numbers grow then we grow"

its only a promo there running i'm sure they'll be doin loads of em to gain new members, shur they only increased the size of the male change rooms and got few new machine in, as there saying on there facebook page "as our membership numbers grow then we grow"

When was that? I joined at the start of this year and haven't seen any changes to the dressing rooms.

But yeah hopefully youre right anyway, we'll see sure.

I still wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling, wouldn't take any notice of what they say on facebook to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

just checked that deal witht hem, classes are included , fitness testing is not, still damn good!

I just signed up this morning so just confirming the above from reading the small print. The fitness assessment is €15 and a fitness program is €10 (or vice versa) but I'd imagine it's the kind of thing you would want to be doing together.

a reply to all! they aint closing or aint nearly closing! all gyms look for as many new members as they can because only small percentage of current members renew! so i'v heard anyway lol!
    joined myself the other day, to get a programme they will need to assess u to see ur fitness levels etc so you need to two at the start anyway, was talking to a fella in there and said u could progress ur programme without the assessment if u wanted to!

When was that? I joined at the start of this year and haven't seen any changes to the dressing rooms.

But yeah hopefully youre right anyway, we'll see sure.

I still wouldn't be surprised if they were struggling, wouldn't take any notice of what they say on facebook to be honest.
    guessing by your post i'd say your a female? it was the male change rooms that were expanded

guessing by your post i'd say your a female? it was the male change rooms that were expanded

I'm definitely a male.

a reply to all! they aint closing or aint nearly closing! all gyms look for as many new members as they can because only small percentage of current members renew! so i'v heard anyway lol!
    joined myself the other day, to get a programme they will need to assess u to see ur fitness levels etc so you need to two at the start anyway, was talking to a fella in there and said u could progress ur programme without the assessment if u wanted to!

No one said that they were closing.

I'm definitely a male.
    then ya must have joined after it was expanded as the male change room was half the size it is now,and if anything there goin to expand more as they get more members so who ever thinks there in trouble and are gonna close there not!!!!

then ya must have joined after it was expanded as the male change room was half the size it is now,and if anything there goin to expand more as they get more members so who ever thinks there in trouble and are gonna close there not!!!!

Wow, as I said I joined at the start of the year.

I don't think they're in trouble or that they are going to close, I just wouldn't be surprised if they were.

As i've said I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bonka

I am currently a member in King Fisher. My membership expired next month.
    I like the gum, not so much the staff there. They are much ignored. Yesterday I visit Gold Stone. Seem so small. The weight area is very big, but the cardio not. My dilemma is where to go from next month.

• Advertisement

bonka wrote: »
    I am currently a member in King Fisher. My membership expired next month.
    I like the gum, not so much the staff there. They are much ignored. Yesterday I visit Gold Stone. Seem so small. The weight area is very big, but the cardio not. My dilemma is where to go from next month.
    well ya need to join a gym and not "GUM" and as for equipment its by far the best equipped gym in waterford alongside the waterford weight training club ya won't find any better anywhere in waterford and for the price either!!! FACT!!!

well ya need to join a gym and not "GUM" and as for equipment its by far the best equipped gym in waterford alongside the waterford weight training club ya won't find any better anywhere in waterford and for the price either!!! FACT!!!

You're a fun guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Spirit is a fantastic gym, nice balance of weights and cardio equipment.
    Nice clean pool and sauna/steam room and jacuzzi. Staff are friendly and helpful.
    Changing rooms are the only bad thing about the place, they are small and do not have a separate family changing room.

ANy place do Kettlebell!!??

ANy place do Kettlebell!!??
    kingfisher are running a class as far as i know and if ya fancy taking trip to tramore there kettlebell gym in tramore in the riverstown industrial estate, ya can find them on facebook
    www.facebook.com/tramore.kettlebellfitness.7?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I was thinking of joining this gym soon but the website says they will do a test for your fitness on joining. Now, this is what I hate about gyms, can they not let you just do your own thing once you are familiar with the equipment? I appreciate that the staff will walk you through the facilities etc and thats great but Im not exactly the slimmest of people and would find a whole "weight, height, what are you hoping to achieve, whats your diet like?" interview very uncomfortable. They did the same in Kingfisher, some guy was like "Ok hop on the scales...hmm, you have about 2 or 3 stone there to lose", it was just very embarrassing for me and I dont like this part, especially when other people can hear what you are saying.

Maybe you can just forego this part of joining though because certainly the price is very attractive?

I was thinking of joining this gym soon but the website says they will do a test for your fitness on joining. Now, this is what I hate about gyms, can they not let you just do your own thing once you are familiar with the equipment? I appreciate that the staff will walk you through the facilities etc and thats great but Im not exactly the slimmest of people and would find a whole "weight, height, what are you hoping to achieve, whats your diet like?" interview very uncomfortable. They did the same in Kingfisher, some guy was like "Ok hop on the scales...hmm, you have about 2 or 3 stone there to lose", it was just very embarrassing for me and I dont like this part, especially when other people can hear what you are saying.

Maybe you can just forego this part of joining though because certainly the price is very attractive?
    just have a quiet word with the instructor and let them know what your feelings are about this but look at it this way, no one is judging you for your appearance,sexual orientation,race or whatever else, they are there to help if you need it, they can show you how to use the equipment if ya need to know and just let ya at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

just have a quiet word with the instructor and let them know what your feelings are about this but look at it this way, no one is judging you for your appearance,sexual orientation,race or whatever else, they are there to help if you need it, they can show you how to use the equipment if ya need to know and just let ya at it

Ha I would hope that they wouldnt be judging me for race etc. I was in the Kingfisher for about a year and very much found it a "sneer at overweight people" place with lots of people there who are practically perfectly toned and slim etc who look down their noses at those who arent like them. May sound mad but there definitely a big element of that in Kingfisher.

What is the initial fitness test in Goldstone then? Taking the number of your posts in this thread, you are obviously the manager :D

Ha I would hope that they wouldnt be judging me for race etc. I was in the Kingfisher for about a year and very much found it a "sneer at overweight people" place with lots of people there who are practically perfectly toned and slim etc who look down their noses at those who arent like them. May sound mad but there definitely a big element of that in Kingfisher.

What is the initial fitness test in Goldstone then? Taking the number of your posts in this thread, you are obviously the manager :D
    haha i don't work there am just a member, alan fitzhenry is manager sound bloke and if he asks ya where ya heard about just say my boards name he'll know who it is and even point me out to ya to prove i don't work there , there is a lad from tramore who also a member in there who when he joined last year was 25 stone and he set a goal of getting to twenty which he was successful in and then set another goal to get to 15 which he has done and he did this by taking up spinning and doin lots of cardio and is now about to build up some muscle, not one member looked down there nose at him if anything they gave him a boost and complimented him on how well he's getting on with his training, don't be letting one very bad experience put you off joining whatever gym that you want feck the begrudgers its your health and your fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If your looking for something different you could try somewhere like Crossfit in the Northern Industrial Estate, Cleaboy Road. I know several people who are members and they really seem to enjoy it - they all say its completely different from a "normal gym" - but I've never been there myself.

They do have a website, so you could google Crossfit Waterford.

I have to say that Goldstone seems to be offering very good value for money IMO

Advertisement