Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining goldstone gym

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

haha i don't work there am just a member, alan fitzhenry is manager sound bloke and if he asks ya where ya heard about just say my boards name he'll know who it is and even point me out to ya to prove i don't work there , there is a lad from tramore who also a member in there who when he joined last year was 25 stone and he set a goal of getting to twenty which he was successful in and then set another goal to get to 15 which he has done and he did this by taking up spinning and doin lots of cardio and is now about to build up some muscle, not one member looked down there nose at him if anything they gave him a boost and complimented him on how well he's getting on with his training, don't be letting one very bad experience put you off joining whatever gym that you want feck the begrudgers its your health and your fitness

Thanks for the reply, wow thats great news regarding that guy who managed to get down to 15 stone from 25 stone, he has great courage, I admire that, dont think I could walk into a place at 25 stone, fair play to him. Think I probably will sign up over the next few weeks, the price is very reasonable, thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Thanks for the reply, wow thats great news regarding that guy who managed to get down to 15 stone from 25 stone, he has great courage, I admire that, dont think I could walk into a place at 25 stone, fair play to him. Think I probably will sign up over the next few weeks, the price is very reasonable, thanks. :D
    no problem at all, any problems just give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

haha i don't work there am just a member, alan fitzhenry is manager sound bloke and if he asks ya where ya heard about just say my boards name he'll know who it is and even point me out to ya to prove i don't work there , there is a lad from tramore who also a member in there who when he joined last year was 25 stone and he set a goal of getting to twenty which he was successful in and then set another goal to get to 15 which he has done and he did this by taking up spinning and doin lots of cardio and is now about to build up some muscle, not one member looked down there nose at him if anything they gave him a boost and complimented him on how well he's getting on with his training, don't be letting one very bad experience put you off joining whatever gym that you want feck the begrudgers its your health and your fitness

Would you rate Goldstone gym as being good so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Would you rate Goldstone gym as being good so?
    yeah i'd highly rate it membersonly

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Random Q but do ye think Goldstone might have offers in the New Year? 300 at the moment is good I know but I wont be around much til after Christmas, I wonder will the price be the same, lower or maybe higher in January

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DupsTheKid

araic88 wrote: »
    Random Q but do ye think Goldstone might have offers in the New Year? 300 at the moment is good I know but I wont be around much til after Christmas, I wonder will the price be the same, lower or maybe higher in January
    I got it for €265 in October. I've heard of it being as low as €225/250 before the summer so I'd say come the new year it won't go higher than 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I was a member of Goldstone up until last June but am moving back to Waterford and would be interesting in joining again. I would appreciate it though if anyone out there could answer some of the following questions:

1. How busy is it at peak times in the weights room?
    2. I see on their website that they have built on a new weight room - is this downstairs somewhere?
    3. How many squat racks are there?
    4. Are there any olympic lifting platforms?
    5. How heavy do the dumbells go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Younggun89

1. Not that busy. I've never waited for anything at all. Even if something was to be in use there's usually another one upstairs anyways.
    2. Ya downstairs. Incredible facility in fairness. Good atmosphere down there.
    3. I think 2 manual racks. 2 smith machines aswell.
    4. Dont even know what that is? a raised platform for squatting or something? Downstairs theres a large area which you could use for anything olympic/power lifting related.
    5. Very heavy and loads of them.
    Can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

yeah i'd highly rate it membersonly
    hi ex_infantry man

I have previously been a member of Goldstone on recommendation from boards and am thinking about rejoining for 6 months or so.

What are the crowds like in the mornings and evenings at this time of the year? The last time I was a member was 2 years ago and it was winter where there used to be a slight wait for equipment/machines etc on some nights. Also do the classes continue at this time of year?

The programs and classes last time i found really good but the will power was lacking on my behalf unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

imola94 wrote: »
    hi ex_infantry man

I have previously been a member of Goldstone on recommendation from boards and am thinking about rejoining for 6 months or so.

What are the crowds like in the mornings and evenings at this time of the year? The last time I was a member was 2 years ago and it was winter where there used to be a slight wait for equipment/machines etc on some nights. Also do the classes continue at this time of year?

The programs and classes last time i found really good but the will power was lacking on my behalf unfortunately.
    i'm not too sure about the mornings as i have never been at that time due to work but when i go after work which is generally around half 2 there is a nice handy crowd there, most classes start at 5 in the evening and there is some in the morning as far as i know but i'm finding there is an increase in members and due to this they have expanded the free weights area into downstairs and have promised as members grow so will the gym and they have kept there promise, pop in for a chat with alan the manager he'll be more than happy to help ya out on any more info ya may want or need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sorry to bump the thread.

I recently joined Goldstone in May. With the current deal running €250 for 15 months membership, I have to say its excellent. The gym have loads of machines, free weights and cardio equipment. I have been in numerous gyms before.
    I started out in the tower, then moved on to WWTC, then joined kingfisher but packed it in after a year or so. I was just training at home until last September. Had a problem of ruptured achilles playing soccer so that put me out of action for 6 months or so. I got a 3 month membership (€130) in the Tower for the pool rehab. When I saw the Goldstone offer it was a no brainer to join up.
    I did a spinning class the other night and man its tough :o

Anyone thinking of joining a gym & your not too pushed on a pool then I highly recommend Goldstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Actually thinking of joining them especially with that offer this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

kensutz wrote: »

Yeah Ken its some deal alright. You couldn't go wrong really. Also having the classes free it's an added incentive

kensutz wrote: »
    ya keep saying that ken, i think i'll have to physically grab ya and take ya out there by the hand haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

ya keep saying that ken, i think i'll have to physically grab ya and take ya out there by the hand haha

Haha, I know. Pay day today as well.

Are you a member there? Would you recommend it?

i used be ex_infantry man and yes i'm a member since the start and will be there for long time to come until something better comes along which won't ever happen, highly recommend pal and at €250 for 14 months membership at the moment can't be beaten, the latest addition to the gym is a deadlift and squat platform

Oh right, sound for that bud. On an unrelated note how did ya change your name on here, wanted to do it there a while ago and couldn't!

i closed my old account and gave up on the site for a while and then decided i'd like to come back and catch up on things so just joined with a new email address

Ah yeah, stopped using it for a while myself there too, left my account open though in case i wanted to come back.

It's easier that way cos ya don't have to open a new account.