Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drugs Kanturk

Options
  • 04-01-2012 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

How long has Kanturk/Millstreet had a Garda Drug Unit?

Maybe it's always had one but I'm only now reading about it. They seem to have had several major catches of late, 250k Liscarroll another big one in Millstreet according to the Corkman.

I never realised there was such a big drug problem in the area, although I haven't lived there for years.

Is it very noticeable or were these just flash in the pans as they say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Wow thats shocking news to me. My mother works in the guards station and has never said a word to me about that. Id say the drug unit would be fairly recent over the past couple years though as Kanturk used to be a quiet town once with no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

KittyKat wrote: »
    Wow thats shocking news to me. My mother works in the guards station and has never said a word to me about that. Id say the drug unit would be fairly recent over the past couple years though as Kanturk used to be a quiet town once with no trouble.

She could tell you, but then she'd probably have to kill you! Gardai are like that I'd imagine :D

I didn't realise either until I read through a few old copies of the Corkman.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Kanturk has a few families that moved into the area,with a less than spotless record.Brought some of this hassle with them.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Theres been huge problems with drugs around North Cork - its just not spoken about.

She could tell you, but then she'd probably have to kill you! Gardai are like that I'd imagine :D

I didn't realise either until I read through a few old copies of the Corkman.

Haha that is very true. :) She cant release any information she hears in there to anyone. I could ask her about the drug unit alright. I'm still shocked about that news though. I dont be around Kanturk town much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The drugs unit is around a while now. A lot of unsavoury people have moved to other places other than Kanturk allthough they are the same family.

http://www.corkman.ie/news/euro-250k-drugs-is-second-major-find-in-two-weeks-2958360.html

This was one of the articles I read.

I remember Kanturk and Millstreet as quiet areas, maybe I was just blind to it while I was there :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

http://www.corkman.ie/news/euro-250k-drugs-is-second-major-find-in-two-weeks-2958360.html

I remember Kanturk and Millstreet as quiet areas, maybe I was just blind to it while I was there :)

Very easy not to hear about it - I didn't know that drugs were a problem where I am living until I was told by another person living up the road from me where those characters had moved into

Even places like Rathcoole and Banteer are rife with them. I think most places are unfortunatley..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Even places like Rathcoole and Banteer are rife with them. I think most places are unfortunatley..

And have been rife with drugs for approx 20yrs IMHO. Its a real shame.

• Advertisement

Well hopefully things will improve, if it gets a grip it can destroy the community.

Locals should name and shame the feckers involved, it's the only way I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Kanturk has had a family from limerick move in, in the last few years causing alot of trouble, well know to the guards, who at one stage had a house across the road fropm theirs watching them full time, but to little avail. there are plenty of places/people there to get supplied from, if i went here now, i can be 100% sure i would get a "fix" within a few mins no problem, which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

The drugs are fairly rampant in Mallow. Everyone is on the coke. Nasty stuff!

just on what other poster s have said about the dodgy families that moved into the area, fair enough they def made things worse but drugs have been there well before them. i dont think North Cork is any worse than most area s sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭youneverknow

kanturk is still a quiet town, never had a problem there while i was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Kanturk is also a black spot for mental illness, particularly depression....

Thats something i didnt know. Where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sure there is loads of drugs up in North Cork, There is a demand for them there as besides alcohol/GAA there's not a whole lot to do there. You wouldn't notice the effects of most drugs in your neighbourhood besides Heroin, That is a destructive poison and if lots of people are taking it then a large increase in crime will be noticed.

every drug is a poison

You are right but more so Liscarroll and Churchtown. Its very sad..

• Advertisement

Statistically I can't believe the drugs/depression problems are any worse here than anywhere else. Yes they are there, but that is not unusual surely. (however sad that is)
    NOrth Cork, Kanturk, and all the other areas mentioned have some great points too, like friendly people, good sense of community, sports, Kanturk in particular is a great shopping town with a variety of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Kanturk has a few families that moved into the area,with a less than spotless record.Brought some of this hassle with them.

would this by any chance have any connection with the much trumpeted "regeneration" of Limerick city and the "relocation" of certain families.
    sounds very familier to the present situation in most villages and towns in county Limerick, many were previousely hassle-free until this scam was thought up by a few people with vested interests who had the ear of the people in power.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Lisha wrote: »
    Statistically I can't believe the drugs/depression problems are any worse here than anywhere else. Yes they are there, but that is not unusual surely. (however sad that is)
    NOrth Cork, Kanturk, and all the other areas mentioned have some great points too, like friendly people, good sense of community, sports, Kanturk in particular is a great shopping town with a variety of shops.

Hear hear, it's really sad to hear all the negative posts above and whilst there is truth in it no doubt, the area is still a thriving local community with the majority of people very happy to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Hear hear, it's really sad to hear all the negative posts above and whilst there is truth in it no doubt, the area is still a thriving local community with the majority of people very happy to be there.

Indeed, bury your head in the sand, and the problem will go away.
    Mental illness is a fact. Some areas suffer more than others, mostly due to lack of adequate support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

every drug is a poison
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Indeed, bury your head in the sand, and the problem will go away.
    Mental illness is a fact. Some areas suffer more than others, mostly due to lack of adequate support.

Totally turning what I said. Yes, there are problems but I think it is fair to say that these issues are everywhere. They are rural as much as urban and that is what surprises people. I've had first hand experience and there us no sand deep enough to hide in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Have heard anecdotally from Kanturk people that the town has become kinda bad-ass in some ways over recent years, but of course that's only a minority intimidating the majority.
    It's disingenuous though to say all areas are the same. They're not. But every area has a majority of good people - of that I have no doubt.

Haven't heard the same stuff about other towns in Duhallow as what I've heard about Kanturk.
    This is just my opinion and I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I find Kanturk dreary as hell - I know it because my cousins used to live there. I know Banteer also - fairly grim IMO. I can understand people feeling like they've nothing to do, not that that excuses scummy behaviour though. Millstreet seems nicer though - but I've never gone out at night there, just visit relatives.

Dudess wrote: »
    This is just my opinion and I'm not trying to insult anyone, but I find Kanturk dreary as hell - I know it because my cousins used to live there. I know Banteer also - fairly grim IMO. I can understand people feeling like they've nothing to do, not that that excuses scummy behaviour though. Millstreet seems nicer though - but I've never gone out at night there, just visit relatives.

Certainly wouldnt call it dreary. I grew up in Kanturk and i had a wonderful childhood, had my freedom, a great family to look after me, sound neighbours etc. Most of my best memories came from there. Its a quiet town but i wouldnt call it dreary, its just settled and most of us go about our own business these days because of the hard times were going through. Kanturk wouldnt be the best in the world for its night life but it has greater qualities like, clubs and societies, three peaceful parks to walk in, a cinema, etc. We used to have an annual Wild Boar festival but funding became a problem for it which was massive pity. I loved that festival. Its a small town and it has a lot more to offer. :)

Jagle wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    except for ..........:D

• Advertisement

Certainly wouldnt call it dreary. I grew up in Kanturk and i had a wonderful childhood, had my freedom, a great family to look after me, sound neighbours etc. Most of my best memories came from there. Its a quiet town but i wouldnt call it dreary, its just settled and most of us go about our own business these days because of the hard times were going through. Kanturk wouldnt be the best in the world for its night life but it has greater qualities like, clubs and societies, three peaceful parks to walk in, a cinema, etc. We used to have an annual Wild Boar festival but funding became a problem for it which was massive pity. I loved that festival. Its a small town and it has a lot more to offer. :)
    used to love that boar festival too

Advertisement