Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Yep, it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭-=al=-

excellenteee, good sir

any other cards worth considering or is something like that pretty much the norm and shud do the job all aok

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

This is a shade cheaper with free super saver delivery (Maplins delivery here is 8.50 extra)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11166-01-20R-5450-512MB-Graphics/dp/B0036DD4CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325706364&sr=8-1

Good stuff, cheers fellas and yeah it's grand I'll pop into maplins in town tomos see if they have one in stock :)

Also while im at it.. I have some Ram from an old PC iI forgot I had... Now since I'm opening the comp up, I might as well shove it in too!

image1391.jpg

Goes in the same slot, but is there any way to tell from that pic if it's compatible!? The ram on the left is what's in the comp at the minute

ram works, handy andy

but the graphics card wont :| Once its in the pci slot the computer just wont boot, just the fan starts and thats it.... tried to install the drivers without the grahpics card in first and said it couldn't find a driver for the OS (xp)

so tried the vista/win7 installer and it worked... but comp still doesn't boot with it in the slot! very annoying

any idea's what the frick to do!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What PSU is in the machine?

Max output is 300w there's the problem right there ffs! Never checked that.

Recommended is 400w on that card, might just return it and then ebay a card and psu, probably not worth my time updating it too much

could just f it all and get a new machine... just have a tonne of programs and hardware setup on the current one

So, is it worth getting a new PSU on a machine that's a good 5-6 years old!?

I really just want to get 2 displays going here, any lower power usage cards!? can't seem to find any

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

-=al=- wrote: »
    Max output is 300w there's the problem right there ffs! Never checked that.

Recommended is 400w on that card, might just return it and then ebay a card and psu, probably not worth my time updating it too much

could just f it all and get a new machine... just have a tonne of programs and hardware setup on the current one

So, is it worth getting a new PSU on a machine that's a good 5-6 years old!?

I really just want to get 2 displays going here, any lower power usage cards!? can't seem to find any

Thats about as low as a card gets for power usage (max is less than 20W), even a decidely average 300W PSU shouldn't have a problem running it, although it is possible I guess that the PSUs perfomance may have degraded signifigantly over time (They tend to do so as they age).

The very first thing you should do is reset the CMOS settings and try again.

EDIT: When you say the fan starts, which fan in particular you talking about? The CPU fan or a case fan?

Sounds scary resetting the csmos! i take it its all grand and no data is lost or anythin?

and its the case fan at the back of the whole comp not on the cpu

once i turn it with the card in it, it's just the fan and when i remove it it runs as normal!

After googling seems like the PSU but really no idea! wonder if i shud try a different card or try a new psu

-=al=- wrote: »
    Sounds scary resetting the csmos! i take it its all grand and no data is lost or anythin?

and its the case fan at the back of the whole comp not on the cpu

once i turn it with the card in it, it's just the fan and when i remove it it runs as normal!

After googling seems like the PSU but really no idea! wonder if i shud try a different card or try a new psu

Mmm in that case it does sounds rather more like either the psu or possibly a DOA card even. Know anybody who could test it in another machine for you?

• Advertisement

yup from some googling sounds like it or its done diddley done for as is... I may be able to try it out in a diff machine pain in the buttocks as is, just want to get this monitor business going!

Advertisement