Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem adding account to tablet

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I'm having trouble adding my eircom email account to my Archos tablet. No problems adding gmail and yahoo accounts.

The settings I'm using are:

POP3

Incoming server:
    webmail.eircom.net
    port 110

Outgoing smtp server:
    mail1.eircom.net
    port 25

uncheck 'require sign in' option

I'm getting an error:

Set up could not finish
    Authentication methods are not supported by server

I've been on the phone to eircom support and was told just to keep trying, that the settings are correct and eventually it will accept the details.....I've had enough of typing in the same details like a goon and getting the same result. Is there anything that can be done? POP3 sucks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Do you have secure password authentication set on on your device, I don't believe eircom's servers support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

obplayer wrote: »
    Do you have secure password authentication set on on your device, I don't believe eircom's servers support it.

Not sure to be honest. I haven't made any changes to it as it's new. Would I find this out in the general settings of the device? Had a quick look there but can't see anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

It will be somewhere in the settings but I don't know where either. Look for a support website from the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for your post Andromeda,

My advice is as above: if you have secure password authentication set on on your device, you will need to contact your device manufacturer Support. They will be able to advise how to ensure you are not using 'secure password authentication'

Appreciate if you would let me know how you get on.

Regards,
    Ant
    I'm having trouble adding my eircom email account to my Archos tablet. No problems adding gmail and yahoo accounts.

The settings I'm using are:

POP3

Incoming server:
    webmail.eircom.net
    port 110

Outgoing smtp server:
    mail1.eircom.net
    port 25

uncheck 'require sign in' option

I'm getting an error:

Set up could not finish
    Authentication methods are not supported by server

I've been on the phone to eircom support and was told just to keep trying, that the settings are correct and eventually it will accept the details.....I've had enough of typing in the same details like a goon and getting the same result. Is there anything that can be done? POP3 sucks

Waited 3 days for an answer from Archos and they responded by telling me to contact my mail provider! I`ve gone back to them with more info so hopefully they`ll respond with a helpful answer this time. I`ll keep you posted...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are using a tablet you would be far better off using the imap settings for your account.

In fact I think that anyone using mail on a phone or tablet is far better off sticking with gmail that way you wont run into smtp issues as you change networks or go from wifi to 3g. You can set your gmail account to collect the eircom mail too.

It would be helpful too if the reps here could give the correct settings for eircom imap as they seem to vary depending on which source you check.

Given the increase in the use of tablets and mobile mail it is really disappointing to read that Eircom support do not appear to be up to advising their customers on the best email options for the equipment.

Telling a customer to keep at it is quite frankly ridiculous and lazy and thats being kind!

Yeah, thats exactly what I've done. Archos don't seem to be in a hurry to find a solution but to be honest now that I've set gmail up to import my other email accounts I don't need a fix now :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you make sure to turn on imap in your gmail settings.

Advertisement