Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanding foam

• 04-01-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭

I use expanding foam on maintenance jobs every now and again in work but unless you have alot of gaps to fill opening a can is a big waste, is there any ways or tips to make the cans reusable once they are opened? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you use a gun it can be cleaned with solvent.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yep, I used mine with a silicon gun (after buying the compatible expanding foam tubes etc). I found though that the foam only stays re-usable for a couple of days but was sealed by removing pressure from the gun and screwing a scew into the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Thanks for tips but dont use it enough to buy guns and solvents etc. Thought there might be a way of reusing a can again after a couple of weeks for example. Maybe it wouldnt be cost effective but its a pity its not sold in small cans for one off jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you keep your eye out you can buy small tins of foam... Not much wastage then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

The foam I used recently (Evostik I think) advised folding the applicator tube twice and sealing the end with the plug provided for this purpose. I assume that this stops air reaching the unexpanded foam in the tube so it doesn't set hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

I guess this explains why most of the cans on the shelf in my local DIY store had the applicator tubes missing - people taking an extra applicator or two to get around this problem!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Scartbeg wrote: »
    I guess this explains why most of the cans on the shelf in my local DIY store had the applicator tubes missing - people taking an extra applicator or two to get around this problem!

You can buy a bag of 5 spare expanding foam tubes for a few euro in most builders providers or the likes of BnQ.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I use a gun cost 25 euro the foam cost 4 euro a tin and are twice the size you would buy in diy shops and because you can adjust the amount from the nozzle i goes twice as far also when I screw it closed and often leave it for six months no prob.
    It works out far cheaper long term

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cloot

where can you get those cans for 4 euro

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cloot wrote: »
    where can you get those cans for 4 euro

I got a load of large cans of Evo-Stik expanding foam in Chadwickes,Coolock for 4 euro just before Xmass.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I get them on account from Wurth Ltd but most builders providers do them around that price but that is for the gun not the diy cans there a rip off for sure

Advertisement