Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - is this fair?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

A friend of mine has just been made redundant from his position. However, prior to making him redundant, the company hired a new individual, albeit in a more junior position who will now effectively take over the role.

The comany have confirmed that the position was being made redundant but it is closer to a case of unfair dismissal.

Is there anything further that can be done in this regard. Should they have been offered to take on the role of this more junior position rather than being let go?

Any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

El Camino wrote: »
    A friend of mine has just been made redundant from his position. However, prior to making him redundant, the company hired a new individual, albeit in a more junior position who will now effectively take over the role.

The comany have confirmed that the position was being made redundant but it is closer to a case of unfair dismissal.

Is there anything further that can be done in this regard. Should they have been offered to take on the role of this more junior position rather than being let go?

Any suggestions or advice?

If it is really as you say it is (ie one person hired to effectively replace another who was made redundant) then you may have cause for a claim.

Some will suggest citizens advice etc. I would personally just go to a good employment lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bonnie88

hey...yeah i think there is a case because by definition redundancy is when you get let go due to shortage of work etc and you are not being re-placed by anyone x

Advertisement