Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding stove with boiler to existing system.

• 04-01-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi
    Im going to install a stove with boiler to my existing system. My system is a closed pressurised one. I intend to use it on the CH only.
    My question is:
    To open the system can i simply put a tank in the attic with a cold water feed and have a blow off pipe from the stove flow pipe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 illionman

Im going to install a stove with boiler to my existing system. My system is a closed pressurised one. I intend to use it on the CH only.
    My question is:
    To open the system can i simply put a tank in the attic with a cold water feed and have a blow off pipe from the stove flow pipe?

Hi

Firstly, I am not a plumber and I am new to the forum. However, I have been looking at previous threads and there are numerous threads dealing with this issue and lots of experts on here that can better advise you. I have a similar situation to yours except that I want to keep the pressurised system.
    If you have a conventional CH oil boiler then you should be able to open the system as you suggest, however you may also need to consider where the blow off pipe (expansion pipe) is sited and if a 2nd expansion pipe is required for the existing boiler. Combining both systems also needs carful consideration with regard to pumping and controls. In most cases the stove is used to heat the hot water cylinder by gravity and this provides you with a means of cooling the water in the event of pump failure. The stove is an uncontrolled heat source and it is important that the water can exit it before it gets too hot. I have seen a number of these in the past that were not configured properly with results like not been able to turn on the oil boiler while stove is on and lots of banging etc. and still no heat to radiators. Having said that it is possible and sometimes quite easy to do what you want to do but get a plumber to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

hi,

new to forum myself but look on with interest on this post. I too have a combined back-boiler and oil-fired system and they work well at times but there can be some banging where the pump from the oil is going constantly.

It is an open system - feed tank in attic with overflow out the eaves - I have only recently noticed this but on occasion water comes out this when both systems are on together - it doesnt upset me too much as once the rads reach a certain temp I turn the oil off and keep burning my backboiler.

I have reduced the pumping power on the oil to less then the backboiler pump and there seems to be less conflict. If you have lots of wood to burn like I do then this system is very satisfactory.

As a side note, I have put a plug on my pump for the back-boiler and put it on a timer so it only gets activated when I want - i.e. the evening. but when we had alot of power cuts about 10 years ago and it was usually in the coldest times we couldnt get heat in the house it was a lifesaver when I found out about powerinverters, it runs the pump off a car battery and now I have toasty house again!

Advertisement