Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December wasps and butterflies!!

• 04-01-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

What a crazy winter, just caught a wasp in my kitchen. Last week I had a butterfly. Poor butterfly, I released it thinking it probably wanted out only later to learn it was probably hiding out in the heat for a while. No doubt he's a goner by now :(
    Now decision time for the wasp, really don't fancy the idea of keeping it sheltered in doors and running the risk of it being a queen looking for nice cosy spot to build her new nest!!

Anyone else finding wasps and butterflies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Queen Wasps and Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies hibernate as adults, often in homes. often they stir when the house is quite warm during the winter.

I've already had both this winter.

I let the wasp out and moved the butterfly to the shed. Whether it has enough energy left to survive the winter, I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me if more butterflies appear. i also bring insects in with the logs for the fire and they wake up in the heat of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poppygal

So its not as rare as I thought! Interesting.
    I just googled butterflies and it was a peacock I released last week, very pretty little thing. If any more appear I'll try to do better looking after it.
    Wasp got released this morning, hope it flies far far away, really not liking the idea of a queen making lots of babies near-by :P

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

On of the guys playing in the World Darts over in the UK over Christmas was sting by a wasp!! ?Its the mild winter has a lot of insect still knocking around.

We need a blast of snow for two weeks!!!

Advertisement