Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the Mines?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

As the heading goes, just wondering is there anybody on here working in the mines over in Australia?

I am a motor mechanic by trade, I'm looking to get work in the mines, problem is any job i see advertised on the net is "MUST HAVE MINING EXPERIENCE"

If anyone has any advice/experience i would really appreciate it

Cheers John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭howa .223

check out seek.com was snooping and alot of hgv mechanics wanted with mining companys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

I'm not a HGV Mechanic tho, only cars,light commercials, 4x4 vehicles etc etc.

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'm not a HGV Mechanic tho, only cars,light commercials, 4x4 vehicles etc etc.

Thanks for reply.
    Alot of companies put this on their job adverts but I would still apply anyway. They will obviously take someone with mining experience first but you may be lucky. Also if you are on a whv then you may find it harder to get a job in the mines. Its not impossible its just harder. make sure you've got a good cv done and if you need to then pay someone to do it for you. A half arsed cv will not get you a job in the mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

My OH started life as a lv mechanic. It is not easy to get a job in the mines as one. You could try to get in as a serviceman. If you are on a WHV you will find it almost impossible. If you have residency keep applying for jobs on seek.....you will see some jbos advertised where they are willing to take lv mechanics. And then you can get your hd qualifications through the local college.

Push the 4x4 experience and any hydraulic experience on your CV. Especially the hydraulics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

You'll probably need to do your standard 11, then You are all set, its a generic mining course that covers OH & S and basic procedures and things, a potential employer may be prepared to pay for it, but if you've got it, it can be a big advantage

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Sent you a PM re jobs that may be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Just wondering if anyone here has or is working in a FIFO role in the mines/regional in a non-construction role. What I mean is anyone office based in accounts/commercial/IT etc and how do you find it? Also how did you get the job?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is there any course that can be done in Ireland that would be useful for when you get to Australia.

Like a mining safety course or something?

djPSB wrote: »
    Is there any course that can be done in Ireland that would be useful for when you get to Australia.

Like a mining safety course or something?

Good question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

These mining safety courses are really just a formality. Doing one won't necessarily get you a job. And not having one will not stop you getting a job if you tick the other boxes. And each course in different in each region that you intend to work in.

Like a pp said standard11 in Qld, it is the marscta in WA.

You haven't said what visa you are coming on. It will make a big difference. What will really help you get a job are more practical courses like doing a hydraulic one or getting your heavy diesel licence. And having a HR truck licence.

You could easier pick you a HD tech position in a metropolitian area while still have only a LV qualitifications giving you experience, you could even get a job in a mining related company that is metropolitian based. If you throw in overtime the money is not far off the mines.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 reddan

Hey lads,

I'm posting on behalf of a mate without a current internet connection.

He's a qualified landscape gardner with a degree in landscape design and has been working in that capacity for the last four years. He was previously working for 4 years on a building site as a skilled labourer.

He's thinking of heading over to Oz come the Summer and was thinking about applying for work in the mines as a way to build up some funds. He has no prior mine experience but as I said has loads of previous labouring and construction experience which may or may not be that relevant.

As it stands he's acquired a working holiday visa but is also looking to get a skilled workers visa as well as completing the standard 11.

I know this is a very genral query but would he realistically have any chance of getting mining work with that sort of background?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

reddan wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I'm posting on behalf of a mate without a current internet connection.

He's a qualified landscape gardner with a degree in landscape design and has been working in that capacity for the last four years. He was previously working for 4 years on a building site as a skilled labourer.

He's thinking of heading over to Oz come the Summer and was thinking about applying for work in the mines as a way to build up some funds. He has no prior mine experience but as I said has loads of previous labouring and construction experience which may or may not be that relevant.

As it stands he's acquired a working holiday visa but is also looking to get a skilled workers visa as well as completing the standard 11.

I know this is a very genral query but would he realistically have any chance of getting mining work with that sort of background?
    The chances of him getting into the mines are extremely slim with his lack of mining experience and being on a whv. Has he looked to see if landscape gardening is on the skills list?

Advertisement