Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New damp patch in concrete wall - anything to worry about?

• 04-01-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Am still in the new house phase so am extremely paranoid about any potential issues I find so firstly my apologies if this is a silly question as it might just be standard stuff :o

It's been mental windy up where I live with the wind blowing on the south-west part of our house. Consequently, on other side of that wall there are damp patches appearing in the concrete.

Link to pic

It's a standard cavity wall but the exterior is clad with sandstone. The fact that this water is getting through, is that anything to worry about or to be expected in weather like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

*bump* I've updated the pic, the patches are appearing at, or just about above, ground level (house is built into an incline). I dug around there and doesn't appear to be any holes or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

any chance of outside pics pls: hard to get a handle on this

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Jonny Harris

Hi If its underground your tanking has failed and this could be big job to fix. If its above ground I would knock a hole in the wall and have a look. Its probably dirty wall ties but to be sure have a look. If you wanted another option you could dry line the wall but it should never come through a cavity wall if constructed properly. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks for the replies guys. Now that the wind has died down the damp patch has disappeared. The patch appears at just about ground level, see pic below. You can see where the fresh dirt is (from me digging around), it's just there that the patch appears.

409228_341480475881221_100000578137420_1246045_1928383671_n.jpg

Advertisement