Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peanuts for birds?

• 04-01-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to buy about a 4stone bag of peanuts for the garden birds. Last time they cost about €45 so I'm looking for cheaper if possible.

Can anyone recommend a shop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

There is a hardware/builders supply shop on one of the side streets off Lower Gerald Griffen Street, I think it's down the street that has the chemist on the corner across from Shamrock stamps. Anyway, that shop sells bird seed for approx. €12 - €14 per bag. The bag is a 20kg size bag and mostly pigeon owners would buy the bags but if you feed birds all year round this is a good price to pay for birdseed. We bought this seed by mistake instead of pigeon corn however the seed was small enough for the small birds and they love it - hope you find the shop, I'm not great with directions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    There is a hardware/builders supply shop on one of the side streets off Lower Gerald Griffen Street, I think it's down the street that has the chemist on the corner across from Shamrock stamps. Anyway, that shop sells bird seed for approx. €12 - €14 per bag. The bag is a 20kg size bag and mostly pigeon owners would buy the bags but if you feed birds all year round this is a good price to pay for birdseed. We bought this seed by mistake instead of pigeon corn however the seed was small enough for the small birds and they love it - hope you find the shop, I'm not great with directions :)

Thanks, I think I know where you're talking about but it has to be peanuts. I'm only picking them up for my dad and it's peanuts he wants for the birds and I think he's paying way too much for them but last time he was told there was a big increase on the price for some reason or another. I'm hoping to pick them up a bit cheaper for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I was in Lidl Ennis Road today and they still have loads of bird feeding stuff on display, you might get lucky.
    I know Woodies and Atlantic Homecare sell big bags of peanuts for birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The price of peanuts jumped last year due to crop failures in the two countries that had supplied most of the world's peanut trade.

Right now they are more expensive because countries like Agentina who used to be small fry in terms of peanut sales suddenly are big fish due to their crops not failing and they are dictating the market price.

As for buying in Limerick. Paw N Claws in Foxes Bow are probably the most competitive price wise as you get heavier bags for the same money that lighter ones cost in Woodies, Homebase, Petmania etc.

Plus for those who like to be sure of peanut quality, I can say that what is sold in Paw N Claws is always fresh.

Another thing to avoid are the peanuts that get sold in mesh bags (similar to the fatballs that get sold in mesh bags) that you hang. The mesh bags are actually quite dangerous to a number of native gardenbirds as they can get their tongues or feet caught in the mesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Paws N Claws is great, good value but the last time I was in there the peanuts looked stale. I'd be willing to believe it was a one off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

The garden centre place on Ellen street sells them by the pound/kilo. Can't remember how much I paid but they are reasonable enough.

So far, I'd be happy with the likes of Paws n Claws or the Garden centre as they are local businesses and I think they need the custom.

Will try both of them on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I got a big tub of them for my parents not so long ago from the pet stop under the railway bridge at the very top of Mulgrave street. They cost €13, but the lad said that if you bring back the tub empty - they'll refill it for €11

LB6 wrote: »
    I got a big tub of them for my parents not so long ago from the pet stop under the railway bridge at the very top of Mulgrave street. They cost €13, but the lad said that if you bring back the tub empty - they'll refill it for €11

I got a 25kg bag of nuts for €45 here on Saturday. It looks like a well stocked shop and easy parking.

Advertisement