Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother-in-Law's tongue Seed

Options
  • 04-01-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

Just reading about how some plants can clean the air, and in some cases become a supply of oxygen for a room.

http://greenspaces.in/blog/ted09/

I am interested in getting a few Mother-in-Law's Tongue plants for my bedroom, however according to the article linked above I would need 6-8 plants for any worthwhile effect.
    Since they seem to be going for €8-€9 a plant, I am looking to grow my own as a cheaper alternative.
    Does anyone know any place that would sell the seed of the plant?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

My advice would be to buy one plant and take leaf cuttings of it .

Root leaf cuttings from summer to autumn are the best time. Prepare a cutting box of perlite/vermiculite and sand. Keep moist but not wet. For added humidity you may use a plastic bag for coverage but remove or open up for circulation if it becomes too wet. Using a rooting hormone compound will enhance root development. Just dip the cut area and tap off excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

lucylu wrote: »
    My advice would be to buy one plant and take leaf cuttings of it .

Root leaf cuttings from summer to autumn are the best time. Prepare a cutting box of perlite/vermiculite and sand. Keep moist but not wet. For added humidity you may use a plastic bag for coverage but remove or open up for circulation if it becomes too wet. Using a rooting hormone compound will enhance root development. Just dip the cut area and tap off excess.

Thanks for the advice lucylu, appreciate the detail!

Advertisement