Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

badminton in cork city

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

just wondering where is a good place to take up badminton in cork city. i played a little bit when i was younger and would like to take it up again. any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello

Ah badminton is great. I know that Douglas Community School do a 10 week course as such throught the adult education. I prefer these ones as I am not lets say a pro player but it isnt serious there. Marianne the teacher is great and if she knows you can play then shell let you off.

I am not to see if Aston is doing it also through the Adult education. There should be leaflets in shops and that if not let me know I have both at home...

Other than that I am not to sure of any other places exept Garryduff (which is a tad serious) and there is another in town i cant think of the name but it is a little pricey...

If you did manage to find a place and needed a few extra players me and himself would be interested:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 btryan

thanks for that. i'll look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rasb

Some of the clubs in the city are

Melbourne: Bishopstown
    Centenary: The Lough
    Garryduff: Rochestown

I play in Garryduff and wouldn't consider it too serious. New members are always welcome and you can come and try it out for a few nights before joining (i.e before paying membership fees). Badminton nights are Mon, Wed, & Fri (sometimes) from 8.

If you want to get details on the other clubs try the contacting Cork Badminton Assoc here

If you are looking for the 10 week courses I agree that Marian does a very good course in Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Does anyone know of a place to play badminton in Cork city without joining a club? Where I used to live in the UK there were a couple of halls belonging to the university where you could just go play for fun in the evenings without being part of any club or society. Anyone know of anything like that in the city, esp. city centre?

It is strangely enough pretty hard to find a place like this. I was hoping to but nope they are all clubs, that either are a little pricey or I found if you just want a bit of fun they are a little serious..No offence intended there now just my opinion..

I am on the lookout again for a court that could be rented. I have about 4 people who would like to do it once or twice a week perhaps but tis finding a court is the problem.

I sent a few emails yesterday enquiring in Rochestown, Ardfallen in douglas (but I cannot place where this is) and the others are Rockboro and Ashton. I was wondering why they did not respond but sure doh they are on leave until the last few weeks.. But I am on the case if you want me to keep you in mind for it..or if you have any luck with a place I would defo be up for it..

I would think they arent started yet but the classes they do in Douglas School are quite fun aswell not very serious but they only last a few weeks

• Advertisement

Oh you must be a good omen, I just got an email back from Rockboro school and they do rent the court..I am going down tuesday 21st to have a looksie..

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sin1981

Hi,
    I'm new to Cork, and interested in trying a racquet sport. Badminton seems like a good option.
    Part of the reason I'd like to try this out is to meet people too (new to the city and don't know that many people)
    Does anyone know the age group of the members in Garryduff??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

https://www.facebook.com/melbournbbc/timeline?ref=page_internal

Melbourn Badminton club are in Bishopstown, good mix of people generally. For disclosure, I'm not a member but my OH is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭goochy

Hi , as this thread is 4 1/2 years - can people give update on best places to play in Cork ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

goochy wrote: »
    Hi , as this thread is 4 1/2 years - can people give update on best places to play in Cork ?

All depends on where you live. There are many clubs dotted around the city and areas close to the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement