Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Developers

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Is there such a thing available anywhere on the emerald isle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 _underscore

Are there any Android developers in Ireland..?

Well, yes there are!

Whats the point of this thread OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Plenty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I suspect there are plenty of Android developers in Ireland, or elsewhere. The question is whether they are good Android developers.

There's plenty of self-taught developers out there in most languages. The problem is that you'll get a lot of inexperienced ones who, despite often having both talent and some experience, will lack broader development knowledge or, worse still, have a hacking approach to development. This is fine for a hobby (or when learning), but not for a commercial development.

This is particularly true of development languages and frameworks that have low entry costs, such as LAMP and Android.

I suspect there are plenty of Android developers in Ireland, or elsewhere. The question is whether they are good Android developers.

There's plenty of self-taught developers out there in most languages. The problem is that you'll get a lot of inexperienced ones who, despite often having both talent and some experience, will lack broader development knowledge or, worse still, have a hacking approach to development. This is fine for a hobby (or when learning), but not for a commercial development.

This is particularly true of development languages and frameworks that have low entry costs, such as LAMP and Android.

This is true, I myself would be self taught when it comes to Android but have an honours degree in Commercial Computing which covers me when it comes to broader development knowledge in most cases although I still would lack experience in some areas.

I've been working on Android and iOS commercially for 2 years now and thoroughly enjoy working in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

I am looking for where to find Android development resources for contract hire. It is enterprise level work about content integration, on-line services etc. Experience with database intergation, advance search capabilities, GIS would be good. If you want to talk then feel free to PM me some details and I'll make contact directly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Then I would suggest you look for either:
    • Experienced developers (5+ years) who are self taught.
    • Inexperienced developers (<5 years) who have worked in a professional environment, developing for Android for at least 1 year, if graduates, or 6 months if they have 2 - 4 years other professional experience.
    In both cases, you want them to have published their own Android app. Whether this is a runaway hit is unimportant (you want a development resource not a marketing one), however the nature of the app and it's quality will say a lot about them and give you plenty of material to discuss in an interview.

I am looking for where to find Android development resources for contract hire. It is enterprise level work about content integration, on-line services etc. Experience with database intergation, advance search capabilities, GIS would be good. If you want to talk then feel free to PM me some details and I'll make contact directly.

Not for me I'm afraid, between work and personal projects I'm much too busy for the foreseeable future, the Android forum under Mobiles & PDA's has some excellent Android developers in it who may be interested, you could the moderators if its OK to post in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

Cheers, I'll do that. Forums and communities are such a useful thing.

Advertisement