Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good hereford bull?

• 05-01-2012 12:37am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of using a bit of hereford ai to try produce good suckler cows. I like them for hardiness and easy fleshing at grass. Has anyone here got good results? I'm looking for good maternal traits, fertility and a decent R+ beef carcase. Also thinking of polled herefords, anyone got any recommendations? Thanks.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I used some hereford on our BBX cows and I'm very happy with the results. Going to use some more. I was using BWU.

Dovea have an impressive hereford GCT but he isnt easy calved. Might use some DPS for the polled gene.

KHO isnt bad either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of using a bit of hereford ai to try produce good suckler cows. I like them for hardiness and easy fleshing at grass. Has anyone here got good results? I'm looking for good maternal traits, fertility and a decent R+ beef carcase. Also thinking of polled herefords, anyone got any recommendations? Thanks.[/QUO

Maybe you should have a look at that new munster 5 star test bull F.H.Noel ET( FHW) looks the part anyway but he is a test bull and semen wasnt available until Dec 2011 so may be hard to get

Maybe you should have a look at that new munster 5 star test bull F.H.Noel ET( FHW) looks the part anyway but he is a test bull and semen wasnt available until Dec 2011 so may be hard to get[/QUOTE]

great looking bull but he never gave semen. it happens sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Maybe you should have a look at that new munster 5 star test bull F.H.Noel ET( FHW) looks the part anyway but he is a test bull and semen wasnt available until Dec 2011 so may be hard to get

great looking bull but he never gave semen. it happens sometimes[/Quote]

ah that's a pity, is that him finished completely so? What happens semen won't freeze or just low sperm count?

Bodacious wrote: »
    great looking bull but he never gave semen. it happens sometimes

ah that's a pity, is that him finished completely so? What happens semen won't freeze or just low sperm count?[/QUOTE]

just wont freeze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of using a bit of hereford ai to try produce good suckler cows. I like them for hardiness and easy fleshing at grass. Has anyone here got good results? I'm looking for good maternal traits, fertility and a decent R+ beef carcase. Also thinking of polled herefords, anyone got any recommendations? Thanks.

I am going to try GCT on two CH heifers this month hopefully. Want to try something other than the AA to see what I get.

http://www.dovea.ie/html/hereford.html#gsq

Think twice before you use him on heifers. His calving figures went up a good bit when the first calves landed. He is over 8% now in the new figures

http://www.icbf.com/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=gct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I know he is quite high but I used LZE on four heifers last year and his figures are nearly as high. All of them calved on their own and they wouldnt be as big as these two.

I wonder do the ICBF calving figures get skewed a bit for herefords and AA's becaused they are used on the dairy herd?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I know he is quite high but I used LZE on four heifers last year and his figures are nearly as high. All of them calved on their own and they wouldnt be as big as these two.

I wonder do the ICBF calving figures get skewed a bit for herefords and AA's becaused they are used on the dairy herd?

yes I thought about that too for angus, like 8% cat 3 or 4 for difficult calving, if they were used on heifers there is bound to be more difficulties. In fairness to dovea they'd tell you in the catalogue if an angus bull wasn't suitable for heifers. The last thing I want is heifers sired by an easy calving bull who in turn will be too narrow themselves to calve a continental bull even when they are cows.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement