Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Certificate/Garda Clearance

Options
  • 05-01-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I will need a police certificate for registration with a professional body in Australia (working with children in hospitals e.t.c)

However when I looked this up on citizens info website I came across this

'They are issued when required by Consular Authorities and foreign Adoptions Boards. For example, Police Certificates are often required before you can apply for a visa to visit or travel to other countries. They are not issued for employment or any other purpose.''

If this is the case what are the other options to prove I do not have a criminal record, surely there must be some form as I would imagine a lot of jobs require this pre employment ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

for my blue card, I got a reference from the Australian federal Police, none was required from Ireland, as the only one you can get is a character reference (for a visa application) or a Garda Clearance cert (takes months to get, and is applied for by an employer, and is only relevant to Ireland).
    AFP, about 50 dollars from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

hussey wrote: »

Thanks for the links but the form states at the top its not for job applications. I do not need the cert for visa purposes, i need it for job applications in australia. Garda vetting can only be applied for by employers in ireland.

This actually seems to be the most difficult thing in the world , no one has correct information. I was speaking too two gardai in different stations today and neither could direct me to where I can get a police certificate from Ireland for job application purposes. I cannot get registration in Australia to work with children without a cert to say i do not have a criminal record in Irl yet there is no information anywhere as to where I can get such a cert that is not for a visa.

Teachers and nurses need to get that cert. I can ask a teacher which very she needed. I'll post back later today

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Teachers and nurses need to get that cert. I can ask a teacher which very she needed. I'll post back later today

Thank you, it is driving me a bit crazy trying to find out how to get it. Might just have to get the visa one and use it for registration then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I believe thses are government requirements so the Gardai will provide you the certificate for them.

I had to get one when I went to the Carribbean for my work visa. I applied and got a call from the local Garda station asking why I needed it. I got it sent out 2/3 days alter. You could go through that and just tell a white lie.

I suspect you employer will accept a disclosure of your data though (i presume you have no record!). You can apply for that here for a small fee.

http://www.garda.ie/controller.aspx?Page=1548

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Efaol89

Hi,
    Before going to Australia I got a police certificate from my local garda station stating that i had never committed a crime in Ireland. I explained I was leaving for australia soon and i got it in less that a week.
    You can't apply for a Working with Children Check in Australia unless you already have the job or a definite job offer.
    What you can get is a national police check Australia info is on www.afp.gov.au You can get a regular one for $45 and it comes back really quickly (10 days ish).
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

I was looking at jobs that require the following essential criteria:

• Working with Children Check
    • Police Checks
    • Department of Education and Training Criminal Check
    I assume that the first is the working with children card which cannot be obtained until you have acquired the position. So is it just as handy to bring a cert from the Gardai with me for applying for jobs and leave the rest until I get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A Garda certificate would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

this thread is really handy for me. I am an early years teacher , and going to Oz in 3 weeks. I don't know how to get my degree recognised over there before I go...anyone got any information on what i can do before i go to help me get a job in education over in Australia. also any tips on what documents i should bring that would be of benefit to me. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Tara z

Hi guys i need your help. Im currently in University studying Nursing and i need a Garda Clearance Cert from the countries i have been previously living in. I was born in Australia Sydney and lived there for two years. I then moved to Croatia where i lived for another two years. I returned to Ireland at the ages of 5 and have been living here since. How will i go about getting these certs from both Australia and Croatia?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lemarquis

I have been offered a job with the European Commission. As part of their very strict and unbending employment policies I must provide an extract of my criminal record. The EC states in its own official instructions how that is to be done within each of the member states and for Ireland instructs that a "Police Certificate" is required.
    Unfortunately the gardai have an equally unbending rule which states that a police certificate will not be issued for employment reasons.
    How does one get past this Catch 22?
    If I follow the very clear black and white rules of the Gardai then I cannot get a copy of my police certificate (and neither can anyone else in my position) Without that certificate I cannot be employed by the EC (and neither can anyone else resident in Ireland.)
    Logically there should be no Irish employees in the EC.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

OP, if you are in Australia? A Garda check will be useless.

You need a national Police check, nothing to do with the AFP, that is separate.
    For Victoria: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=274
    Section E - tick the appropriate box, in your case, contact with children.
    Look up the one for your state if it's different.

If you are asked to get a Work with Children card as well that is a totally separate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pauldolan28

There seems to be an updated form for a Police Certificate which my local station e-mailed to me for anyone who needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 oddsoxrocks

There seems to be an updated form for a Police Certificate which my local station e-mailed to me for anyone who needs one.

Thanks for the form, where did you need to post it to? How long did it take?

Advertisement