Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howard Jones Leaves Killswitch Engage

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:12am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Killswitch Engage has announced that vocalist Howard Jones has parted ways with the band.

The following statement has been made:

"To our family, friends and fans: We have decided to continue on without Howard Jones as the singer of Killswitch Engage. We love Howard and are thankful for the nine years that we've had him in the band. Out of respect for everyone involved we will not be discussing the specific reasons behind this decision. Howard is a part of our family and always will be, and we wish him well. He has left big shoes to fill, so we certainly have our work cut out for us to find the next singer of Killswitch, something we plan on making priority #1 going forward. Most importantly, thanks to all of you for all the support throughout the years and for sticking by us for all this time. We really do appreciate it and we very much look forward to having a new record for all of you in the not too distant future that we can all be proud of. Sincerely, Adam, Joel, Mike & Justin."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

WHAT!!!

Ah that sucks, OK, well....either Jesse David Leech is coming back or the band is splitting up. As far as I understood it they were supposed to be heading back out on the Festival circuit this year. That statement is very vague and makes no mention of their current commitments so that doesn't look good. My guess is that they had a falling out and it was anything but amicable, probably because they wanted to bring their original singer back.

Their commercial breakthrough 'Alive Or Just Breathing' is still in my collection and remains one of the most pleasurable albums I've ever listened too.

Watch the above video from 1.05, this was taken last year, and just proves that Leech still has whatever it is he lost in order for him to leave KSE in the first place (if I remember correctly it was a serious throat infection and pressure from the label that the band tour)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Isn't that at least the second or third time the singer has left that band? I wonder is there some internal politics at work?

Malice wrote: »
    Isn't that at least the second or third time the singer has left that band? I wonder is there some internal politics at work?

As far as KSE is concerned it's Adam who runs that band, hands down. He and Joel have been there since the start when Adam used to be the drummer.

Jesse Leech was their first vocalist from 1999, but they have had another former touring vocalist, Phil Labonte of All That Remains was technically a touring member during 2010 while Howard recovered from a throat infection. Jesse Leech also came back at this point and did a few shows.

The band has been a little all over the place but, generally speaking, this comes as a shock because they had been prepared to work with Howard through his problems in 2010 (voice problems) or maybe not the way things are shaping up here

In any case, the band haven't cancelled any touring yet, so I assume they have a replacement in mind or at least a view of finding someone pretty quick. It will be a big stage for a complete unknown to come on-board at though so I reckon it'll be Leech.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

I never liked Howard's style anyway. And mutton chops p1sses me off for some reason. They were better when they were nu metal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I really lost interest in KsE in the past 3 to 4 years. Last few albums have been very generic and samey IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,687 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

What is love anyway?
    Does anybody love anybody anyway?

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

What is love anyway?
    Does anybody love anybody anyway?

*gets coat*

get your coat, throw off your mental chains and get the hell out of here! :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Former Killswitch Engage frontman Howard Jones has released a statement regarding his departure from the band:

"Well, I guess I will shed a little light without going too deep. As some of you may know, I’ve had a pretty interesting couple of years to say the least battling with some personal issues. One of the low points being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes that went unchecked for years. The rest of the band stuck with me through it, and to be honest they are the ones that kept me going. The whole experience definitely put a scare in me.

Recently we’ve all been in writing mode but somehow I couldn’t get excited about the new album and all the touring that would go with it. The guys saw it before I did. In hindsight I now realize that my heart wasn’t in it. I have had an amazing decade with KSE. I love Justin, MikeD, Joel and Adam for hanging in there and standing by me no matter how bad it was. I have so many good memories, and those are the ones that I will keep. Will I be involved in music again? Sure, I have been in bands for a little over half my life, can’t stop now. Until then, get the new KsE album, it’s going to be good. Thanks everyone for letting me try to entertain you, and I wish myself well in my future endeavors. Gone fishin’ Howard."

That's an interesting statement. And I wish him the best, but as he's said, he has known about his diabetes for a few years and he has been managing that. I guess the main problem was that he just didn't have the confidence and faith in the music he was performing. He obviously felt that Killswitch Engage had run it's course with him as vocalist and he is sacrificing himself for the good of the band. If that's the case I hope they can do something to justify such a sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

Howard Jones is one of the best lead singers in Rock/Metal, Killswitch will definitely miss him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I liked Jesses vocals on the first album but, I think bringing him back into KSE will do no good, as he left due to the stresses of touring and depression. I think a fresh approach is needed.

As a sidenote I concur with the statement that Adam is Mr.KSE and if anybody doesn't like that then they shouldn't be in the band! IMO I think his producing is top class,The As I Lay Dying album he produced was great along with his sideproject Times Of Grace.

Following the news that Killswitch Engage have parted company with their vocalist Howard Jones, the Massachusetts metallers have started the search for a new singer.

The band have posted details for any would-be vocalists interested in submitting demos for the vacant position.

"If you are interested, please send an MP3 or a song link, a photo and a brief description of yourself to the management email address provided in the contact section of killswitchengage.com," reads a post on Facebook.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Well, what are you waiting for?

OK, point taken, I've submitted my demo

But I don't think they'll like it, thanks for having confidence in me though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Howard Jones is one of the best lead singers

yeah; he is.

LH Pathe wrote: »

This kind of stuff has got to stop ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That joke dead in the water already? Apologies! any chance I get to post .. the legendary 80s troubadour?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I used to love KSE, Alive or Just Breathing was my go to album for years, but I saw them a few years ago in The Ambassador around the time they released Holy Diver (they ended the set with it) and Adam D was just a prick all night. I think he thought he was on par with James Hetfield or something.

Since then I have really not cared at all about them.

I do think Howard is a great vocalist tho, he song on the Roadrunner United album was good.

etloveslsd wrote: »
    .I do think Howard is a great vocalist tho, he song on the Roadrunner United album was good.

He also featured on 36 Crazyfists song 'Elysium', which I think he did a fantastic job on!

KillswitchEngage2012JesseLeachThrashHits.jpg
    Well, he is if the new Killswitch Engage website is anything to go by. That’s where we got that above picture from, after all. It also comes as a surprise to absolutely no-one, given the ever-decreasing levels of denial coming from Mr Leach in recent days. Still, it’ll be interesting to see what direction Killswitch Engage now take with their new…err….old….err current vocalist.

http://www.thrashhits.com/2012/02/so-jesse-leach-is-officially-the-new-frontman-of-killswitch-engage-then/

I was right, bloody delighted to see this happen, and I hope he stays around this time!

Given they've only a few short months to go until their previous announced festival appearances it's the most logical choice to have chosen a vocalist comfortable with the material who wouldn't take long to get into the role

I think you can expect a lot from Alive Or Just Breathing on this stretch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

He also featured on 36 Crazyfists song 'Elysium', which I think he did a fantastic job on!

Whaaat!? I've been listening to that album to death recently and it never dawned on me that Howard was on that track! I like it even more now!

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Whaaat!? I've been listening to that album to death recently and it never dawned on me that Howard was on that track! I like it even more now!

It's good to see I'm not the only 36CF fan on here. I think that album is their best to date!

It's good to see I'm not the only 36CF fan on here. I think that album is their best to date!

Great band, I interviewed Brock a few years ago, and I he was one of the most down to earth musicians I've ever spoken too...you'd never have guessed

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I've only recently gotten into 36CF, but I'm loving what I hear. They manage to strike a rare balance between aggression and melody without coming across as monotonous or whiny. Rest Inside the Flames is certainly the standout album for me thus far.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I've only recently gotten into 36CF, but I'm loving what I hear. They manage to strike a rare balance between aggression and melody without coming across as monotonous or whiny. Rest Inside the Flames is certainly the standout album for me thus far.

Yea i really love 36CF and i only got into them just after they had last played Dublin few years ago and since havent been back :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

36 Crazyfists are great. I've been a huge fan for a while now and they honestly don't have a bad album. Every one of them is fantastic and they're great fun live.

Had the pleasure of meeting them several times and they're a great bunch of guys, really funny too!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭merlinengine

I knew when Howard left that Jesse would be the logical choice. I'm happy that they went with Jesse in the end and I'd say he'll last longer this time because it looks like he's learned to take care of his voice instead of blowing it out every couple of shows (one of the reasons why he left initially). When Jesse, Adam and Joel (live guitar) went on tour as Times of Grace it looks like Jesse didn't have any trouble so that put him in a good position to get his old spot back. For those who don't know, Times of Grace is Adam and Jesse writing some pretty damn good melodic metalcore. Check out Strength in Numbers, Worlds Apart, Willing, Live in Love, The forgotten One and Where the Spirit Leads Me.

Times of Grace - Worlds Apart

http://youtu.be/PdKpCoK5W3s

etloveslsd wrote: »
    I used to love KSE, Alive or Just Breathing was my go to album for years, but I saw them a few years ago in The Ambassador around the time they released Holy Diver (they ended the set with it) and Adam D was just a prick all night. I think he thought he was on par with James Hetfield or something.

Since then I have really not cared at all about them.

I do think Howard is a great vocalist tho, he song on the Roadrunner United album was good.

Alive or Just Breathing was one of my go to albums too, definitely on my "10 albums I'd rescue in a flood" list.

I was at that show too and I really can't remember Adam being a prick but even if he was, one man shouldn't stop you from liking the bands music. There are 4 other people in the band too that aren't pricks even if Adam was (and I'm not sure he was). When I saw Metallica's Some Kind of Monster documentary the men themselves (but maybe not Kirk) went down in my estimation but I didn't let that turn me off the music.

I agree, The Dagger is a great track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I agree that one person shouldn't put you off a band, but when that person is such a dominant force in the band, almost to the point where he is the band, it's a bit different.

I will however give their new stuff with Jesse a chance.

Advertisement