Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispute over lawns

Options
  • 05-01-2012 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I am a tenant and in my terms of contract it states to look after lawns (which is roughly an acre of land). However it is literally field grass (the lawn was never laid) and iv a crap push lawnmower that doesn't even collect the grass at the house. Since iv moved in last April the letting agent contacts me approx every 6 weeks to cut the lawn that grows like crazy days!! They even demanded I cut it in oct nov dec and even called today to cut or even strim it this week??!! When I moved in the grass was literally 4 feet long and I had get someone with a tractor to come in and cut it, wait for it shrivel up and collect it when turned to straw and they called givin out that I didn't collect it that day! Basically I need cows in to maintain it, it's that bad!! I just wondering if anyone can advise of anything I can do and would this be considered as a garden or field?? As I know no one else who has cut their lawns in the winter! Thanks all opinions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

HHhhmmm know of anyone with a horse or some sheep? A goat could clear it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Isnt it up to the landlord or agent to maintain the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I guess not if its in the contract. Again, its not hugely helpful but if you knew someone with donkeys or sheep nearbu then they might help, depending on the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Few goats is what you need OP

They'll sort this no problem

Mind they don't give the postman a puck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You should never of agreed to cut the grass until was presented in a manner fit to be cut (i.e. all the hard work done before hand so it's nice and short.)

If the inside of the house was filthy dirty you wouldn't be expected to clean it would you?

An acre is a massive undertaking. Obviously you knew this before you moved in though. The fact they are asking you cut it now shows they have complete ignorance of grass and grass growing seasons. You dont typically cut grass during the winter as it does not grow, frost can also damage it if its just been cut. No proffesional would cut grass this time of year.

You really need a ride on mower to make life easier (a mulcher not a collecter.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

29267738-260x260-0-0_Roundup+Roundup+Weed+Killer+Plus+1+2+Gallon.jpg

Or just let it grow and ignore the LL/agents request to cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Chocholic7 wrote: »
    I am a tenant and in my terms of contract it states to look after lawns (which is roughly an acre of land). However it is literally field grass (the lawn was never laid) and iv a crap push lawnmower that doesn't even collect the grass at the house. Since iv moved in last April the letting agent contacts me approx every 6 weeks to cut the lawn that grows like crazy days!! They even demanded I cut it in oct nov dec and even called today to cut or even strim it this week??!! When I moved in the grass was literally 4 feet long and I had get someone with a tractor to come in and cut it, wait for it shrivel up and collect it when turned to straw and they called givin out that I didn't collect it that day!

First off you should have demanded that the "lawn" or field was cut before you moved in or else that you get payment for getting someone to cut it.
    Sorry for being pedantic but it turns into HAY not straw.
    That is unless you happen to be growing some form of cereal in the field.

BTW how did they know you didn't collect it the day it was cut ????

As others have said let some animals in there. If you live in country let some farmer graze an animal in there for a few days.
    There is the side effect of their dung, but it gets rid of the grass with little effort from you.
    Get the farmer to put up electric fence to make sure the animals don't wander.
    Although with goats would advise they are tied and staked so that they can't get at anything else :mad:
    Lantus wrote: »
    You should never of agreed to cut the grass until was presented in a manner fit to be cut (i.e. all the hard work done before hand so it's nice and short.)
    Exactly
    Lantus wrote: »
    An acre is a massive undertaking. Obviously you knew this before you moved in though. The fact they are asking you cut it now shows they have complete ignorance of grass and grass growing seasons. You dont typically cut grass during the winter as it does not grow, frost can also damage it if its just been cut. No proffesional would cut grass this time of year.

Actually might be an idea to shave the bloody thing at this time of year to try and kill it off.
    Although the side effect could be that you end up with an acre of noxious weeds come Spring/Summer.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chocholic7

Thanks all for reply.... First off i organised someone with tractor straight away to cut it week i got in coz i wanted it sorted straight away and they said Wud take 2-3 weeks organise someone so i thought i was helping everyone. And secondly it also states in the contact no animals allowed on the property so i feel pretty screwed there. I live down a side road and there only two other houses there and landlord moved England so he has one neighbours checking on me whole time about the lawn. I originally lived on .8 acres and had no problem looking after it but this not a proper laid garden

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'd tell the landlord that I would be prepared to honour the conditions regarding maintaining the lawn when he honours the implied condition that he supply a suitable mower.

I would further tell him that demanding that the grass be cut in winter is quite unreasonable, and that such demands interfere with your right to peaceful enjoyment of the property - which is what you are supposed to get under a rental agreement.

[That's the elaborated version of the two-word response I'd like to give in your situation.]

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I'd tell the landlord that I would be prepared to honour the conditions regarding maintaining the lawn when he honours the implied condition that he supply a suitable mower.

I would further tell him that demanding that the grass be cut in winter is quite unreasonable, and that such demands interfere with your right to peaceful enjoyment of the property - which is what you are supposed to get under a rental agreement.

[That's the elaborated version of the two-word response I'd like to give in your situation.]

That's the guts of the law on it in reality.

Tenants responsibility to maintain garden. Landlords responsibility to provide suitable equipment. A push mower wouldn't be deemed as suitable in court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement