Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House hold charge

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

€10 administration charge has been scrapped if you pay over the counter with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

List of excluded unfinished housing estates is published on the site now.

Mine is not on the list. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

the biggest problem the goverment are running into as regards all this, is the esb data base, each customer has an unique number, this is protected by the data protection laws, they were of the opinion that all they had to do was tap into this database and they were away for slates, instead they are stuck at the start.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

hightower1 wrote: »
    Just because you specifically will not get the most out of this doesnt mean you shouldnt pay it. This is not a pay per use country , we all pay the same to the state , yes its difficult to get the same percentage from differing sections of society at times but the goal is that we all take care of each other equally. If you feel very hard done by you could always move to an estate thats currently receiving a lot of state money to try and regenerate or invigorate it, Moyross for example. You will certainly get more benefit from your 100eur payment if you sell your country house and move there.

I never said I wouldn't pay it, in fact even though it will be a struggle I will be paying it. All I want is for the government to put into place a fair system. For example in the UK, their tax covers refuse collection & recycling, fire & ambulance service, library, water charges plus all that ours will be covering, it is a larger charge however, averaging around 1300 per year for a semi.
    If the charges remain low such as they are this year then fine, however if they decide to levy a tax based on house value, how is this going to work. Will it be fairer then, because many houses in towns and cities will be valued higher than rural housing, so they will have to pay more than those in the country?? Put into place a fair system for a fair price, don't penalise the ordinary people for mistakes made by the government, bankers etc...

What new leisure facilities will be put into place? will developers have to build green spaces into their plans? Will there be enough schools for our children. We have to have a plan in place so this money will be allocated wisely. I genuinely hope that this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddy49

does council homes have to register tennents of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

dont pay it

stand strong we are almost there

every person that pays make the rest look weak

youll be crying and pay 100 this year but i assure you wait until next year. if we dont pay we will never have to pay and should never have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Icky Thump wrote: »
    dont pay it

stand strong we are almost there

every person that pays make the rest look weak

youll be crying and pay 100 this year but i assure you wait until next year. if we dont pay we will never have to pay and should never have to pay
    totallt agree, it will be like the holiday homes TAX anyone that hasnt paid dont have to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I paid to have water installed, I pay to have my waste collected, I pay to have my septic tank emptied and maintained, I have to sweep the main road and collect rubbish that people have thrown from their cars to maintain the look of my property. I have no street lighting, no white lines down the middle of my road. We had to do a fund raiser last week so the local school can pay it's electricity bill as the grants were cut. So tell me why do I have to pay a household charge as well, I will get no benefit from it or any other new taxes they introduce under this guise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Pay up,

or Jim Long will never get back from China with all those jobs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A woman made a good point today on the radio that it is not fair to have to pay because:

She uses the library, roads, bus, tax offices, walks on roads that the council has cleaned and so on and so on.

Her friend, living next door, uses the library, roads, bus, tax offices, walks on roads that the council has cleaned and so on and so on.

One has a €800 per month mortgage on a 3 bed semi.
    Her friend, living next door, has a €120 per month payment for a 3 bed council owned semi next door.

Both are employed working 40 hours per week in the same shop.

The one with the mortgage has to pay the €100(some of which goes to pay for people living in council homes)
    Her friend, because she is a tenant and not a legal householder, pays nothing even though she consumes more services than the payee.

Is the €100 payment fair?

Not in my opinion and certainly not the woman whom was on the radio.

In the UK people in council homes still pay council tax. Some pay more and some pay less but at least they all pay. I appreciate that they have little else to pay in relation to our payments like Stamp Duty, VRT, higher Income Tax, Higher Insurance etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

europa11 wrote: »
    Pay up,

or Jim Long will never get back from China with all those jobs :D

sounds more threatening when you put it like that... :p

should've taken willie o dea with him too, had to laugh at his comment during the week about calling sinn fein chancers and how it "stuck in his craw", pot kettle black comes to mind! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

Beer Baron wrote: »
    A woman made a good point today on the radio that it is not fair to have to pay because:

She uses the library, roads, bus, tax offices, walks on roads that the council has cleaned and so on and so on.

Her friend, living next door, uses the library, roads, bus, tax offices, walks on roads that the council has cleaned and so on and so on.

One has a €800 per month mortgage on a 3 bed semi.
    Her friend, living next door, has a €120 per month payment for a 3 bed council owned semi next door.

Both are employed working 40 hours per week in the same shop.

The one with the mortgage has to pay the €100(some of which goes to pay for people living in council homes)
    Her friend, because she is a tenant and not a legal householder, pays nothing even though she consumes more services than the payee.

Is the €100 payment fair?

Not in my opinion and certainly not the woman whom was on the radio.

In the UK people in council homes still pay council tax. Some pay more and some pay less but at least they all pay. I appreciate that they have little else to pay in relation to our payments like Stamp Duty, VRT, higher Income Tax, Higher Insurance etc etc.

Ireland's bailout deal stipulates the country needs to have a property tax up and running in 2014.
    [URL=http://http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/burton-hopeful-of-property-tax-decision-by-next-budget-533052.html[/URL]

Our bailout buddies stumping up the cash insisted that we introduce a property tax to disincentivise Irish people from paying stupid sums of money on overpriced property (the root cause of why this country is bust). The gov introduced this charge to meet this condition, but they called it a household charge for local services to make it seem more acceptable to the people.

Villa05 wrote: »
    Ireland's bailout deal stipulates the country needs to have a property tax up and running in 2014.
    [URL=http://http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/burton-hopeful-of-property-tax-decision-by-next-budget-533052.html[/URL]

Our bailout buddies stumping up the cash insisted that we introduce a property tax to disincentivise Irish people from paying stupid sums of money on overpriced property (the root cause of why this country is bust). The gov introduced this charge to meet this condition, but they called it a household charge for local services to make it seem more acceptable to the people.

ireland had a land tax back in the 80s 90s. councils offered people a chance to buy said land instead of paying this "rent". my folks bought their land aswell as their house. why should they now after buying this if land pay another rent. this is all it is a rent. a rent for something you own

when they bailout is paid back will this tax go???

you will moan and whinge about payi it but youll pay it. in 12 months youll be told you have to pay 1000 and you wont be able to do anything about it because you gave up. you let down your friends your family your neighbours

do not pay this tax

taxes are unfair and unjust as it is

if public services where run properly there would never be a need for taxes and thats a fact. use all the excuses you like but wait until the day they tax you for oxegen because it isnt something that is beyond belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Villa05

Icky Thump wrote: »
    ireland had a land tax back in the 80s 90s. councils offered people a chance to buy said land instead of paying this "rent". my folks bought their land aswell as their house. why should they now after buying this if land pay another rent. this is all it is a rent. a rent for something you own
    I pay tax on my savings, car, TV which are items I own - Whats your point exactly

Don't worry, this debt will not be paid off in yours or my lifetime. I hope it does not go, simply because it can be used to help prevent a future bubble in house prices.

you will moan and whinge about payi it but youll pay it. in 12 months youll be told you have to pay 1000 and you wont be able to do anything about it because you gave up. you let down your friends your family your neighbours
    On the other hand you will have left down your children and their children if you don't pay. The debt is increasing and it will be left to future generations to pay a bill they had no part in creating

do not pay this tax
    Ah Do!

taxes are unfair and unjust as it is Some are

if public services where run properly there would never be a need for taxes and thats a fact. No taxes = No Public Services - Agree they need to be more efficient

use all the excuses you like but wait until the day they tax you for oxegen because it isnt something that is beyond belief
    Well they do the opposite, the carbon tax is tax on the polluters of the oxygen. Is this unjust tax as well

Property tax is amongst the fairest of taxes in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Property tax is amongst the fairest of taxes in the world.

Irish property tax aka the household charge ? ... or property tax in general ?

I pay tax on my savings, car, TV which are items I own - Whats your point exactly

my point is you shouldnt have to pay taxes on yourt tv either

you dont pay tax on your car unless you meen vat. you pay taxes on the road whih i also dont believe in
    Don't worry, this debt will not be paid off in yours or my lifetime. I hope it does not go, simply because it can be used to help prevent a future bubble in house prices.

so what your saying is we wont be here to wreak the benifits of it so screw it??? your open to leaving a property tax here for your kids???
    On the other hand you will have left down your children and their children if you don't pay. The debt is increasing and it will be left to future generations to pay a bill they had no part in creating

did we create this bill???

again your the one willing to leave this tax for the kids

do not pay this tax
    Ah Do![/QUOTE]

dont

people like you keep voting for bertie even though they know that a briefcase of money is found under his desk.

ah sure i guess lads will be lads yea???
    taxes are unfair and unjust as it is Some are

some are what??? unfair and unjust??? like paying rent on a place you own???
    if public services where run properly there would never be a need for taxes and thats a fact. No taxes = No Public Services - Agree they need to be more efficient

no public services???

like buses that have tried to be sold on for years???

energy which is now private??

what public services exactly?? libraries which charge people to use them?? schools again which charge???

refuse collections which are private???

i fail to see these public services you want to pay for

every service should charge people for using them
    use all the excuses you like but wait until the day they tax you for oxegen because it isnt something that is beyond belief
    Well they do the opposite, the carbon tax is tax on the polluters of the oxygen. Is this unjust tax as well

there is going to be an actual oxegen fresh air tax

carbon tax give me a break. its an excuse to get more money from people
    Property tax is amongst the fairest of taxes in
    the world.

tax is exactly the same as protection money. the only difference between extortion and tax is that tax is made by more powerful crooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Maintenance of roads: doesnt this fall under road tax why am i paying 1300 a year road tax when roads are one worst in europe goverment doesnt have a clue with this household charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Maintenance of roads: doesnt this fall under road tax why am i paying 1300 a year road tax when roads are one worst in europe goverment doesnt have a clue with this household charge.

It is not to fund upkeep of roads etc. Pretty sure that is why they are so careful with the wording and call it motor tax and not road tax. What you are basically paying for is the right to drive on public roads and not for the upkeep of those roads. I'm open to correction on that of course.

Advertisement