Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal Dust?

• 05-01-2012 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Is there anyway I can compress coal dust at home to use for the fire. I'm aware that coal dust particles can combust.

I was thinking of dampening with some water and maybe some newspaper and compressing it with flowerpots perhaps.

I've googled and saw one result that suggested wallpaper paste or plaster dust, I'm wary of trying anything like that incase it is toxic.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Could you mix it with damp, shredded newspaper and compress it using one of those devices for making paper briquettes.
    There was a thread on these gadgets here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hello all

Is there anyway I can compress coal dust at home to use for the fire. I'm aware that coal dust particles can combust.

I was thinking of dampening with some water and maybe some newspaper and compressing it with flowerpots perhaps.

I've googled and saw one result that suggested wallpaper paste or plaster dust, I'm wary of trying anything like that incase it is toxic.

Thanks all!

for a closed fire/stove I use a paper bag with the end of the coal. roll up tight and put in.
    NOT for an open fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi all mix the coal dust with yellow clay .it is called calum .we still make them ponddigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know where you intend getting the coal dust from but remember why the older generations stopped using it. It usually gets mixed with stone and the stone becomes red hot and sparks when it heats up.

True fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It is for an open fire place, don't worry I have not intention of tightly wrapping it in newspaper.

The coal dust is from the bottom of the coal bunkers and invariably the bottom of the coal skuttles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi all mix the coal dust with yellow clay .it is called calum .we still make them ponddigger

Hi ponddigger.

Can you elaborate on this? Where can I find yellow clay.

How effective is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Hi ponddigger.

Can you elaborate on this? Where can I find yellow clay.

How effective is this?

Link for many more google you can google mixing coal dust and clay culm etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi mixing coal dust with yellow clay ,is the way my father showed me how to make culm,yellow clay can be gought on bad soil ,near the ditch where there are dykes:Dponddigger:D

Advertisement