Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringin the dog

Options
  • 05-01-2012 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me whether I can bring my pure bred english bull terrier with me to oz?

I was looking at banned breeds over there, which include 'pit bulls' and 'american pit bull terriers'

Since I CAN find a lot of breeders of english bulls in oz, I'm logically assuming that there not banned or am I wrong on that count? :confused:

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Davy1020

Hi there - the general rule is once the dog does not look like a pit bull terror you will be ok - the english bull terrier is not on the Australian or New Zealand banned listing BUT if it does look like a pit bull or american pit bull they have the right to refuse it into the country... hope this clears it up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Have you checkout the shipping and quarantine costs? Scary...

New regulations came into force Jan this year which should hopefully cut down a lot of the cost - you can not wait a 3 month period before departing Ireland to assure the blood test are clear - it means if you have to go in a hurry and you have friends or family who can hold onto your dog for the 3 months you can pretty much get them released pretty quick in OZ or new Zealand - New regulations came into force in many countries including Ireland from Jan 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

Yep, the cost aint pretty...at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Restricted-breed dogs
    What is a restricted-breed dog?
    Under the Commonwealth Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956, a number of breeds cannot be brought into Australia. These breeds are classified as restricted and include:

dogo argentina
    japanese tosa
    fila brasilia
    pit bull terriers
    american pit bull terriers.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/ForResidents/Pets/Pages/Dangerousdogs.aspx#restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

I had found that myself, thats the question I was asking.
    Does this include english bulls or not I wonder?
    English bulls are fairly similar in build but have a different facial structure and are most importantly not on the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You have answered your own question its not on the list.

Told you already does not include ENGLISH BULL's but if they look anyway like a Pit Bull they could be refused as the border control have the right to do so

jimmyd87 wrote: »
    Yep, the cost aint pretty...at all!!

A friend was heading to NZ with two large labs. She managed to cut the quoted shipping cost of €10k for the two dogs in half by taking the ferry across the water, and shipping them from London instead.

• Advertisement

Your friend was ripped off by the sounds off it!!! The dogs could have been flown with British Midland to London and a flight arrange directly to Auckland for a lot less that your friend paid!!!!!

Davy1020 wrote: »
    Your friend was ripped off by the sounds off it!!! The dogs could have been flown with British Midland to London and a flight arrange directly to Auckland for a lot less that your friend paid!!!!!

Who ships dogs to NZ for less than this cost?

Advertisement