Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making bread with gone off cream?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have some gone off cream after christmas could i use to make bread instead of buttermilk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Yes,it gives a lovely texture to the bread,if you have a lot you could add a little milk to thin it out,too much cream can make the bread a bit heavy. You can also freeze it and use later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It depends how "gone off" it is.

Cream that is slightly on the turn should be fine, but if it is days and days old and is smelling and tasting off, then it is gone rancid and I cant see it making good bread.

In the old days, sour milk was used instead of buttermilk, but this was unpasteurized so went sour quickly and was still usable.

Pasteurized milk and cream has a long shelf life. Once it is gone off, its quite old.

Advertisement