Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build: Should I insulate the roof?

• 05-01-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I started insulating my van (VW Caravelle) last night; I insulated the side panels by applying a sheet of thermal wrap to the body, then filled it with sheeps wool and another sheet of thermal wrap on top of that. I was just wondering if I should insulate the roof? Would a couple of sheets of thermal wrap be sufficient in the roof to provide insulation? I don't want to fill the roof up too much as that's where I have all the wiring for the back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Must insulate the roof.All the hot air carrying all the moisture from your breath will end up here and the cold outside will turn the vapour back into water and run everywhere.A vent to let this hot moisture laden air out would also be a help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

defike wrote: »
    Must insulate the roof.All the hot air carrying all the moisture from your breath will end up here and the cold outside will turn the vapour back into water and run everywhere.A vent to let this hot moisture laden air out would also be a help.

Thanks for that! There's a vent on the side panel of the van where the aircon blower used to be so I'm hoping that'll be enough ventilation for the van. Do you think one or two sheets of thermal wrap is enough for the roof lining or would you put wool/cellotex/etc along with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I would put as much as you can get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Neutech2010

As much as you can get in the better at the same time a bit of airgap does no harm

what year is caravelle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

home base have foil packe bublle wrape insulation for about 17 buck a role one might so it and if you have any over it makes great window blinds to put up at night

• Advertisement

It's a 98 Caravelle, got some of the roof insualted at the weekend. I used the thermal foil wrap from B&Q which was around €14 (also the bubble wrap type), got the aluminium tape aswell which was about €7. Here's what I have done so far:

wpid-2012-01-07-12.03.44.jpg

I've taken the aircon out of the back of the caravelle so going to use the contours on that headlining and fill it with insulation, hopefully it'll work out well! I've insulated the areas that aren't covered by the contours.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

you can also use expanding foam for any of these hard to reach places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

closecall wrote: »
    you can also use expanding foam for any of these hard to reach places

Careful with expanding foam. If there's a joint of timber or anything similar that might move with vibrations from the road then it'll creak when you're driving and become annoying very quickly.

Had thought of expanding foam alright but not a fan of the idea of expanding foam either, the foam can expand in the warmer months and the headlining is so brittle it may crack it in places. I think the sheeps wool/eco wool (from B&Q) is the road i'll be going down to fill the contours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

just a thought when I see this...

How about closed cell spray foam?

Not touting for business as I think it would be very little money in it... you might find a company in your area and if you travel to them they should do it pretty reasonable..

Check my sig for details.

• Advertisement

Macspower wrote: »
    just a thought when I see this...

How about closed cell spray foam?

Not touting for business as I think it would be very little money in it... you might find a company in your area and if you travel to them they should do it pretty reasonable..

Check my sig for details.

Thanks, I'll keep my options open anyway! Would that foam expand in hot weather? Any idea on a rough price for doing the headlining in the van (in the pic above)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

stevire wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll keep my options open anyway! Would that foam expand in hot weather? Any idea on a rough price for doing the headlining in the van (in the pic above)

foam wont expand in hot or cold... might be better spraying it to the roof and then re fitting the headlining.. or you could spray the headlining..

I would then be rigid. is there room for about an inch of the insulation? that's all that would be needed to give you the insulation you need..

I think it would cost about 200 euro to have done.. maybe more or less depending on the job... that's if it was left in.... anyway just a guideline and a few thoughts

Advertisement