Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

• 05-01-2012 9:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

For all the uproar on boards about that "Horrible chav English woman" on the tram abusing those immigrants, are we any better? Seems to be happening on a large scale in Ireland. This is shocking stuff, in this day and age Irish people are carrying on like this. I've often seen people avoid taxis because the drivers are black, and I'm ashamed to say I have friends at home who do the same. Are we inherently narrow minded? My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/lsquoi-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driverrsquo-2980239.html
    A NIGERIAN taxi driver, who is a qualified accountant, has revealed how he receives daily racist abuse and is scared to work as a cabbie in Ireland after suffering two assaults by passengers.

Married father-of-four Bartholomew Omoifo (36) spoke out as a man was jailed for viciously attacking him in his car.

"For a coloured man, working as a taxi driver is very dangerous. I am afraid to go working because of previous experiences. One is very scared."

Azriel Higgins (26) was jailed for nine months at Ennis District Court yesterday for the assault on Mr Omoifo on June 5, 2010.

Mr Omoifo said that he had been the victim of a subsequent assault by another passenger just four months ago.

He admitted: “It is very tough as a black taxi driver. If I had a choice I wouldn't be working as a taxi driver but I have to support my home."

Mr Omoifo earlier told the court that Higgins, of Creggaun, Tobarteascain, Ennis, Co Clare, called him a "bastard ******" before headbutting him in the mouth knocking out two front teeth.

Higgins -- who pleaded guilty to the assault and has 14 previous convictions -- attacked Mr Omoifo after refusing to pay a €15 fare.

Mr Omoifo required four stitches with dental work costing €2,400. Damage done to the taxi cost €761.

He described the assault as "very, very traumatic". He said: "I suffered needlessly. I have two false teeth now and I was out of work for three weeks."

On the daily racist abuse, Mr Omoifo said: "Passengers flag you down, open the door and when they see you are coloured, they say 'F*** off'. I get this every day."

He added: "I am relieved that I have been given the privilege in court to state what really happened. I have been given respect. At least it shows me that there is justice for us and gives me the assurance that the protection is there and we can get justice."

He has been living in Ireland for eight years but believes that some people are "venting their anger at the economy" on immigrants.

- Gordon Deegan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Wait until you read the replies to that from the knuckle draggers.

The thread about the FG mayor of naas really brought them out of their holes.

Irish people have a strong reputation for racism. As emigrants to USA, Uk and Australia.
    It comes from our enviroment, which was dominated by one race, one religion and sectarianism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'm not racist!

Sure I've a coloured TV at home! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Well the fella who headbutted him is a complete scumbag. I doubt very much he would be up to date in matters in Africa. I don't think the scummer would be indictive of the regular Irish population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Im afraid I am a racist. More and more when I go for a taxi I can't help hopeing to avoid a white taxi driver. I try and be open minded but I simply can't take any more of the racist ranting, adrian fcuking kennedy or bitching about deregulation. Im not proud of it and I know not all white taxi drivers are Irish. Last week I got a a lovely white guy, hungarian i think, and Im trying to mend my ways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I know it's only one man's story, but I've seen it so many times, people skipping taxis because of the driver being black. It's just pathetic, I feel sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

terrible story, but listen - taxi drivers get attacked every night of the week. Black and white. Maybe sit in on a taxi on a Saturday night and see what they go through. Im sure there are plenty of Irish taxi drivers getting attacked, spat at, abused, vomited on, left without fares. Its not an exclusive black thing. It happens to all taxi drivers. All taxi drivers get a bad wrap - people turn into thugs and animals when they have drink on them. Ask any Irish taxi driver if they have ever been attacked. NO taxi driver should be attacked no matter where they come from (or is it okay for Irish taxi drivers to be attacked).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I'm yet to encounter a country without seeing, reading about or hearing about noticeable racism from the local population.

It's not nationalities that are racist, it's just individual w*nkers. Some countries have more than others and Ireland is probably on the lower end of the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assume yer man's 14 previous convictions weren't all to do with racially motivated attacks? Eventually such people are bound to pick on a non-white person they'll just be saying "black bastard" or some variant instead of whatever "reason" they had for going for someone else, "hippy freak" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm yet to encounter a country without seeing, reading about or hearing about noticeable racism from the local population.

It's not nationalities that are racist, it's just individual w*nkers. Some countries have more than others and Ireland is probably on the lower end of the scale.

I'd say we're on the higher end of the scale for the number of people who think it's socially acceptable to be outwardly racist, but yes I'd say we're on the lower end of the scale for more extreme behavior.

Im afraid I am a racist. More and more when I go for a taxi I can't help hopeing to avoid a white taxi driver. I try and be open minded but I simply can't take any more of the racist ranting, adrian fcuking kennedy or bitching about deregulation. Im not proud of it and I know not all white taxi drivers are Irish. Last week I got a a lovely white guy, hungarian i think, and Im trying to mend my ways

Shocked by this post as it is actually sensible.

I got a hungarian taxi driver once around Merrion Square last year, he was absolutely bang on.

I also hated taking white Dublin taxi drivers. Half way through their rant I would say my wife is eastern european/african and their whole rant put on the brakes. oh yeah but this and no but that's family etc.

Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Leftist wrote: »
    Shocked by this post as it is actually sensible.

I got a hungarian taxi driver once around Merrion Square last year, he was absolutely bang on.

I also hated taking white Dublin taxi drivers. Half way through their rant I would say my wife is eastern european/african and their whole rant put on the brakes. oh yeah but this and no but that's family etc.

Scum.

indeed, i got one who hated eastern europeans so i started speaking broken polish and he shat himself....

on the flip side ive gotten polish taxi drivers who where sound, beyond sound if anything...

the irish taxi mans days are numbered thank fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have no problems getting a taxi which is being driven by a black man (got a taxi home from the airport tuesday whom was black), but i think the reason most people object is

a) a lot of them havent a CLUE about areas in dublin. a very drunken passenger + driver that doesnt know where hes going = huge taxi fare

b) a lot of people are under the belief that black drivers allow friends / family to also drive their taxis under the one taxi licence.

i hate the idea of my gf getting a taxi home alone, white or black. if she decides to skip a black taxi man because shes afraid well thats her choice and i stand by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

One white guy headbutting a black cab driver a racist population does not make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

#every country in the world have racists - Should whole nations be labeled now because of a very small minority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was in a taxi with a few lads heading in town and the driver started giving out about blacks and I said 'My Dad is black'.

He actually went quiet despite me having fair hair, blue eyes and white skin! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i hate the idea of my gf getting a taxi home alone, white or black. if she decides to skip a black taxi man because shes afraid well thats her choice and i stand by it.

Her choice but incredibly racist.

She has judged a person by their skin pigmentation. Not nationality or demeanor or attitude or anything else.

This I suppose is what it comes down to: white people in Ireland are Irish or British or American or Polish or whatever else. We all have pre conceived notions of what comes along with each nationality.

Black people are black apparently and let their be no other distinction.

In truth, the same things happen in countries that have a mainly black population. The white guy is just a skin colour too.

Was in a taxi with a few lads heading in town and the driver started giving out about blacks and I said 'My Dad is black'.

He actually went quiet despite me having fair hair, blue eyes and white skin! XD

It's wonderful how easy it is to scare the **** out of them. Nice to be related to a black guy who'd be fairly well-known to 40+ year olds around here as well just for the sake of added fun. :pac:

Do you hate when she leaves the house without a man too? You should move to Saudi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I'm not sure that he'd be any safer if he was white & Irish.
    I drove cabs for a while back in the '90's and was seriously attacked twice and a few minor incidents. Didn't make the news though - why? Because I'm white and Irish and it doesn't make good news because it happens every week of the year. I could tell stories all day of Irish drivers who suffered serious assault. If the attacker isn't shouting racist abuse it will just be some other form of abuse. There are violent, irrational, angry so & so's in every country. I've sympathy for this chap as I've sympathy for any victim. I'm not convinced that an Irish national is any safer on the streets than a foreign national and if you spend any time researching it online I doubt you'll find any different. Another example I'll give you is that both my sons, aged late teens, have been violently assaulted on more than one occasion. If my lads were foreign the attacks would be chalked up as racial - fact is the thugs would have assaulted anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Well I'm not racist but ......

If I going to get a taxi I don't want to be driven by someone that is shouting into their phone in some African dialect, doesn't know where they're going and has change when I pull out a €20.

Some of the soundest taxi drivers I've had have been Indian, Chinese and Eastern European. The African lads have just made a bad name for themselves and its well deserved.

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »

Some of the soundest taxi drivers I've had have been Indian, Chinese and Eastern European. The African lads have just made a bad name for themselves and its well deserved.

At least try ffs!

If I going to get a taxi I don't want to be driven by someone that has change when I pull out a €20.
    You don't want to be driven by someone who can break a 20 for ya? You sound like a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Pdfile wrote: »
    indeed, i got one who hated eastern europeans so i started speaking broken polish and he shat himself....

on the flip side Ive gotten polish taxi drivers who where sound, beyond sound if anything...

the irish taxi mans days are numbered thank fcuk.

Really you think that would be a good thing ?

I use taxies quite a lot,Most of them are white drivers most of them are sound,Doesn't bother me in the least where the driver is from,If you don't like the attitude of the driver and he is going on & on tell him to pull in or/and report him.The generalising here of Irish taxi drivers here is a bit OTT imo.

I drove cabs for a while back in the '90's and was seriously attacked twice and a few minor incidents. Didn't make the news though - why? Because I'm white and Irish and it doesn't make good news because it happens every week of the year. I could tell stories all day of Irish drivers who suffered serious assault. If the attacker isn't shouting racist abuse it will just be some other form of abuse. There are violent, irrational, angry so & so's in every country. I've sympathy for this chap as I've sympathy for any victim. I'm not convinced that an Irish national is any safer on the streets than a foreign national and if you spend any time researching it online I doubt you'll find any different. Another example I'll give you is that both my sons, aged late teens, have been violently assaulted on more than one occasion. If my lads were foreign the attacks would be chalked up as racial - fact is the thugs would have assaulted anyone.

I used to get a late night taxi from Dublin to the outskirts alot in my early 20s.

I'd say 9/10 times the taxi driver would drop hints about how he or the garda would catch runners or how he might have a crowbar under his seat if anyone tried anything. Never really threatening me but always giving me the idea that running or hitting him would be a bad idea.

Seems like they were ****ting themselves.

Started making a bit of fun out of it. Was great when there was one of the lads in the car with me.

Just take a turn into this estate. it'll be over soon etc.

never did anything but they would sweating by the time I paid. They were actually delighted we paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leftist wrote: »
    I used to get a late night taxi from Dublin to the outskirts alot in my early 20s.

I'd say 9/10 times the taxi driver would drop hints about how he or the garda would catch runners or how he might have a crowbar under his seat if anyone tried anything. Never really threatening me but always giving me the idea that running or hitting him would be a bad idea.

Seems like they were ****ting themselves.

Started making a bit of fun out of it. Was great when there was one of the lads in the car with me.

Just take a turn into this estate. it'll be over soon etc.

never did anything but they would sweating by the time I paid. They were actually delighted we paid

Oh, what fun! Have to get the bit of entertainment where you can these days!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If the attacker isn't shouting racist abuse it will just be some other form of abuse. There are violent, irrational, angry so & so's in every country.

this here. almost reminicsent of the South Park 'Hate Crime' episode.

was this a racially motivated crime?

Or was this a crime where the attacked person happened to be black?

the taxi drivers accounts of people saying fcuk off when they opened the door of his car is racist. but without knowing the full details of his attack, it doesnt necessarily equate to being a racist attack.

it also doenst make a nation racist, although its not exactly great either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I have to say i'm a bit of a taxi-ist. Some dodgy characters out there amongst some really nice guys. Regardless of colour.

looksee wrote: »
    Oh, what fun! Have to get the bit of entertainment where you can these days!

Well, it was a few years ago and like I said it was after many veiled threats and horrendous over charging. And on a lot of occassion peppered with racist or offensive rants from an obnoxious driver.

They were never in harm.

Except for one exception. but he was a vile man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i have no problems getting a taxi which is being driven by a black man (got a taxi home from the airport tuesday whom was black), but i think the reason most people object is

a) a lot of them havent a CLUE about areas in dublin. a very drunken passenger + driver that doesnt know where hes going = huge taxi fare

This. My opinions of people/professions are shaped by my own experience over a period of time and unfortunately my experience with African taxi drivers has been 99% negative in terms of them not knowing where they are going. 2 guys didn't know where D'Olier St was (both coming from elsewhere in the City Centre) and various other problems.
    In general they tend to be more polite than Irish drivers though (I've had my fair share of Irish assholes too).

I tend to avoid getting a taxi as much as I can these days, just sick of having a problem every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Aah you'll be seeing no black lads in the Wesht of Ireland so you don't :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I hate accountants as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

If I going to get a taxi I don't want to be driven by someone that is shouting into their phone in some African dialect, doesn't know where they're going and has change when I pull out a €20.

Spot on. If i have to get a cab anywhere i would rather have a driver who has a good command of the English language and knows where he is going in the city.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I hate accountants as well.

I think it's safe to say if someone punched an accountant in the face it would be a cause for celebration. They are vile people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Although to be honest you'd have to be terribly unlucky if you asked for a taxi to take you into Dublin and the African taxi driver ended up taking you to Durban by mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, I remember the race hate gang attacks in Temple Bar in July and the killing of ****tabey in 2010.

As usual "Racist Ireland" means "Racist Dubs beats up black taxi drivers".

biko wrote: »
    Aye, I remember the race hate gang attacks in Temple Bar in July.

As usual "Racist Ireland" means "Racist Dubs beats up black taxi drivers".

If you read the article you'd realise the incident happened in your neck of the woods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

yes all countries have racism but i do think the irish is a little bit worse than some other countries generally bhut its hard to measure and that said we dont seem to have the same problems with large organised groups of neo nazis that some other european countries seem to have which is really good.

As someone who isnt racist i find it ereally frustrating and feel i encounter it regularly.

Rachiee wrote: »
    yes all countries have racism but i do think the irish is a little bit worse than some other countries generally bhut its hard to measure and that said we dont seem to have the same problems with large organised groups of neo nazis that some other european countries seem to have which is really good.

As someone who isnt racist i find it ereally frustrating and feel i encounter it regularly.

The reason it's not organised in this country is because the culture is too parochial and immigration is brand new.

how many people on this forum can honestly say there has been a black person in their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I saw on the 9 o clock news last night that Chap from Pakistan that was actually leaving Ireland due to abuse he got. Felt sorry for him. He seemed deeply upset and hurt. Tis sad considering were sending many or our own of abroad. I hope they dont get that kind of welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

2 guys didn't know where D'Olier St was (both coming from elsewhere in the City Centre)

Surprised our government have not introduced a Knowledge-style exam here in our cities. A revenue opportunity just sitting there ignored, one that would produce a useful public dividend.
    Aah you'll be seeing no black lads in the Wesht of Ireland so you don't :cool:

I'm thinking of that scene in Dances with Wolves where the Indian chief asks Costner's character how many more white men will arrive and he tells him - more than there are stars in the sky! :)

Racism is big in the UK news of late with the Suarez and Stephen Lawrence stories. The boom years immigration has changed the profile of our society so that it has big potential to become an issue here too. It is an ugly thing.
    On one hand - the tendency toward inductive reasoning (from the particular case to a general conclusion) is something the evolution has given us to survive. Our ancestors luckily didn't say to themselves - maybe this sabre-tooth tiger mightn't be so bad - let's give him a chance.
    On the other hand, in your treatment of your fellow human being - this is base thinking and we must strive to rise above it. If a coloured* lad wrongs you one day, it is not fair to make assumptions about all people whose skin is coloured from that point onward. You rise above your base nature by not going to the toilet whilst walking down the street don't you? The same applies to how you evaluate people and percieve physical traits or background. It is precisely in this where the racists fail in their own humanity.

*glad to read of that gent in the article describing himself as such - makes a mockery of the PC chastisement of Alan Hansen for using a word that was never a pejorative to me.

ronan45 wrote: »
    I saw on the 9 o clock news last night that Chap from Pakistan that was actually leaving Ireland due to abuse he got. Felt sorry for him. He seemed deeply upset and hurt. Tis sad considering were sending many or our own of abroad. I hope they dont get that kind of welcome

The answer you will find amongst most irish people to this situation is that in pakistan and irish person would get abuse, even though they know nothing of pakistan.

That the standard in ireland.

• Advertisement

SisterAnn wrote: »
    *glad to read of that gent in the article describing himself as such - makes a mockery of the PC chastisement of Alan Hansen for using a word that was never a pejorative to me.

really? described a black person as coloured has no racial implications to you? By describing someone as coloured you are basically lumping all non-whites into a bracket. Really nice. Whites and non-whites, that's the division.

I don't buy the excuse that it was fine in the past. Hanging black people was fine in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I know it's only one man's story, but I've seen it so many times, people skipping taxis because of the driver being black. It's just pathetic, I feel sorry for them.

Race may have little to do with it. I've been in plenty of non local taxi's that haven't a clue where they are going and chances are if I'm in a taxi im not familiar with the city so don't ask me for directions.

Also some people are racist, it's not nationality specific.

Race may have little to do with it. I've been in plenty of non local taxi's that haven't a clue where they are going and chances are if I'm in a taxi im not familiar with the city so don't ask me for directions.

Also some people are racist, it's not nationality specific.

Yeah you're probably right. It's just where I live now everyone is black and there doesn't seem to be any issues so it made me sad to see that going on at home. Can we close this thread mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you read the article you'd realise the incident happened in your neck of the woods
    I did yeah, but was reflecting on all the comments all discussing Dublin. Sorry for the confusing post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do you hate when she leaves the house without a man too? You should move to Saudi.
    That's complete bóllocks.
    Being worried about your girlfriend getting home safely at night on her own does not equal Saudi :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cuz thats not a blatent stereotypical racist comment in itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Back to racist ireland:
    My mate had a thai girlfriend and when she was over here he brought her on a trip over to the west of ireland. He said the abuse they got in pubs was so bad he ended up staying at home in the evenings. He wasn't a 60 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend, they were both around 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

agreed. I too know a local taxi that nearly lost his eye because an irish student did not want to pay his fare. police called - report taken, but never followed up. Instead of screaming about people being racist to taxi man, lets start screaming about people attacking ALL taximen. or again can the irish taxi man be abused and attacked and thats okay. time to deal in reality folks and less of the cliches about racism

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Back to racist ireland:
    My mate had a thai girlfriend and when she was over here he brought her on a trip over to the west of ireland. He said the abuse they got in pubs was so bad he ended up staying at home in the evenings. He wasn't a 60 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend, they were both around 25.

I was in a pub in clare visiting relatives a few years ago.

One guy was there with his pregnant asian wife.

My cousin and friends were sneering at him and muttering insults.

I thought it was pathetic and asked them why.

They said he used to hang around with them until he got that mail order bride.

To think those two people would be bringing a mixed race child into that community.

Geniunely honest story, that is what they told me at the time.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That's complete bóllocks.
    Being worried about your girlfriend getting home safely at night on her own does not equal Saudi :rolleyes:

No but if you're worrying when your girlfriend is getting a taxi you really need to chill out. Women can look after themselves these days you know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement