Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

try reading my posts again, this time with the tunnel vision turned off
    No need, your post was clear.

You said
    are you saying that although people have had many bad experiences with black taximen, they are expected to keep going back? … Why should somebody do that?

In other words, if your past experience of black drivers has been bad then you might reasonably expect your future experiences to be similar.

Perfectly logical reasoning and it may be very good advice. But the characteristic you use to define this group with whom you have had these bad experiences is their skin colour, and that is racist.

Do you deny that this is racism, or have I misrepresented your view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

afrodub wrote: »
    I sometimes think it would be a nice experiment/ experience to be a white person for a day, have some very authentic make up and prosthetics and experience, likewise I would like some white people to be open on doing the opposite and be black for a day, then come and tell us..how it was :(
    You mean, white up?:eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

Racism, and indeed discrimination in all forms is despicable.

Discriminating because someone is an a**hole is acceptable in my book, not because of skin colour alone. You can have a**holes from all races and all backgrounds.

I would like a few questions need to be answered.

1) Is racism worse than discrimination based upon country of origin, hair colour (being ginger etc), being a 'shortarse', being 'posh' or a 'knacker'? I ask this because racism is seen as much more taboo than the other forms of discrimination in the media/general population IMO.

2) Is the immigration system in Ireland, an effective system to bolster this country, particularly in the economic times we are in?

3) If someone were to have a 'bad experience' in a black gentlemans taxi, (insert any bad experience from rudeness to assault) and didn't want to travel in black peoples taxis due to this, is that racist? If you substituted white for black in the above scenario, would that be racist too? Would it get as much notice?

I re-iterate that all forms of racism are horrible - including the assault on the white girl by female muslims in England a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

lugha wrote: »
    No need, your post was clear.

You said

In other words, if your past experience of black drivers has been bad then you might reasonably expect your future experiences to be similar.

Perfectly logical reasoning and it may be very good advice. But the characteristic you use to define this group with whom you have had these bad experiences is their skin colour, and that is racist.

Do you deny that this is racism, or have I misrepresented your view?

you have misrepresented my view - again, read and learn.

Stupid thing to say very stupid and low you should baanned.

This forum is about rascist Ireland not a taxi forum.

If not that we are in AH I'll rain I over your face with all sorts of abuses.

I don't care if he's black of white but seeing the guy made feel sick and disgusted.

Have you no sympathy ?

i refer you to post number 1, specifically about taxis. Lets try to stick to the point eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenslider

The politically correct point of view is very much a middle class waffle, spoken by those who are not in a situation of social decadence. People are horrid to each other for many reasons. Excuses might be faith, hair colour, eye colour, skin colour..the fact that someone bites their pencil, sexual orientation ..maybe accents. Differences give us an excuse. People are naturally nasty. The reality is people are really good at conflict and finding reasons for it. The use of the word racism is another pigeonhole for the fact that people just dont like one another. Every political, religious or social divide we fabricate is designes, whether we like it or not to oppress or disenfrachise those who dont conform to what We want....and we when it comes down to it is really the first person singular..so to use forum terminology, we are all Trolls. And for the meek..well human nature is such that they shall inherit the dirt....
    Societies under such economic and social turmoil as ours tend to become less pleasant places to live in, particularly for those who stand out as scapegoats and excuses for antisocial behaviour. This is not an excuse for such things but it is maybe a wakeup call. Time to reassess what it is to be Irish, to assimilate those who have invested such time and emotion getting to this place and struggling to raise their kids here. Time to integrate and consolidate our new society. But at the ssame time I guess its time to close the door. The liferaft might get a bit full and then we all drown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People are horrid to each other for many reasons. Excuses might be faith, hair colour, eye colour, skin colour..the fact that someone bites their pencil ..maybe accents. People are naturally nasty The reality is we are people are really good at conflict and finding reasons for it. The use of the word racism is another pigeonhole for the fact that people just dont like one another. Every political, religious or social divide we fabricate is designes, whether we like it or not to oppress or disenfrachise those who dont conform to what We want....and we when it comes down to it is really the first person singular..so to use forum terminology, we are all Trolls. And for the meek..well human nature is such that they shall inherit the dirt....

The positivity just oozes out of this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I hear you are a racist now father!!

[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Is it natural for people to find problem with other races?

Is it not human nature?

Seems to me that many races and people from most other parts of the world are a lot less accepting than us Irish.

• Advertisement

you have misrepresented my view - again, read and learn.
    I don’t think I have misrepresented what you have posted. Quite possibly you misrepresented your own view?

Once again, you said:
    are you saying that although people have had many bad experiences with black taximen, they are expected to keep going back?

Notice the emphasis. In particular, you did not say independent taxi men, or specific drivers (or firms) with whom you have had problems in the past or any of a myriad of reasons why one may decide to decline their services. You said black taximen. Thus the criteria you use to identify a particular class of taxi driver to whom you will not give your business is that the driver has black skin. And that is racism.

You can argue if you want that it is simply sensible behavior and not equivalent to the worse excesses of racism. Or even that sometimes, racism-lite can be justified. But if what you have written in that post reflects your attitude, then that is racism.

lugha wrote: »
    I don’t think I have misrepresented what you have posted. Quite possibly you misrepresented your own view?

Once again, you said:

Notice the emphasis. In particular, you did not say independent taxi men, or specific drivers (or firms) with whom you have had problems in the past or any of a myriad of reasons why one may decide to decline their services. You said black taximen. Thus the criteria you use to identify a particular class of taxi driver to whom you will not give your business is that the driver has black skin. And that is racism.

You can argue if you want that it is simply sensible behavior and not equivalent to the worse excesses of racism. Or even that sometimes, racism-lite can be justified. But if what you have written in that post reflects your attitude, then that is racism.

this is what i said

No, I will not get into a black taxi for the following reasons

1. Had bad experience with taximan (who later was up in court for assault against a female taxi driver). I was speaking to another passenger, the taximan butted in, and gave his opinion whether we liked it or not. I got out at my destination and he tried to rip me off. I called an alternative taxi company and asked what the price would be for the trip, they quoted me half the price. I told the taximan I would not be overcharged. He caught my bag of chips and slammed them into my face. (by the way he ended up being nigerian)

2. Again got into a taxi into town. Black driver. Took forever to pick me up. I asked him when I got into the cab why it took so long. He said he had just arrived into the country the previous night and was driving his cousins car. He then proceeded to ask me where various "well known" areas were.

3. I have personally seen black taxi drivers jump the rank, and squeeze in at the top of the rank When an Irish man gets out of his taxi to tell him there is a procedure, the white man gets abused up to the high hilt and called a racist for picking on the black taxi man. I have seen this on more than one occasion.

4. I now always make a point of getting into a reputable taxi company who knows where they are going, will issue receipts and has all their paperwork on hand. If I were to get attacked in the taxi at least then I could go back to the company and report the driver. Most of the black taxi men and some irish taxi drivers are "independent" Once you get in you better take their number, car reg, car type because if anything happens in these "indepdendent" taxis you have no come back unless you have ALL the details and description of the car and the driver (who is going to do this after a few drinks). Better safe than sorry.

and finally, I have no problem whatsoever in passing by 100 drivers until I get the one that I want to drive me home. I wouldn't go into a shop and buy the first item I saw, I have a choice. This applies to my taxi home also. Doesn't make me racist.

to simplify it so you will understand.

all my personal bad experiences in taxis were with black taxi drivers who operated independent taxis - as listed above. Does that make me racist - I don't think so. Does that make me want to get into an independent taxi again - I don't think so.

in your eyes it might be racist, but I wonder if you had the same experiences
    what would you do? go back for more - I don't think so.

simple question

If you bypass all independent taxis in favour of a company taxi - what would you be told you were being? Not a problem.

If you bypass independent white driver taxis what would you be told you were doing? Being selective

but if you by pass independent black taxi drivers what are ya - oh ya, A Racist.

so if its an Irish independent taxi you won't get into its okay, but just becasue the driver is black then you MUST get in or you are a racist???

dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

1. Had bad experience with taximan (who later was up in court for assault against a female taxi driver). I was speaking to another passenger, the taximan butted in, and gave his opinion whether we liked it or not. I got out at my destination and he tried to rip me off. I called an alternative taxi company and asked what the price would be for the trip, they quoted me half the price. I told the taximan I would not be overcharged. He caught my bag of chips and slammed them into my face. (by the way he ended up being nigerian)

2. Again got into a taxi into town. Black driver. Took forever to pick me up. I asked him when I got into the cab why it took so long. He said he had just arrived into the country the previous night and was driving his cousins car. He then proceeded to ask me where various "well known" areas were.

3. I have personally seen black taxi drivers jump the rank, and squeeze in at the top of the rank When an Irish man gets out of his taxi to tell him there is a procedure, the white man gets abused up to the high hilt and called a racist for picking on the black taxi man. I have seen this on more than one occasion.

and finally, I have no problem whatsoever in passing by 100 drivers until I get the one that I want to drive me home. I wouldn't go into a shop and buy the first item I saw, I have a choice. This applies to my taxi home also. Doesn't make me racist.

to simplify it so you will understand.

all my personal bad experiences in taxis were with black taxi drivers who operated independent taxis - as listed above. Does that make me racist - I don't think so. Does that make me want to get into an independent taxi again - I don't think so.

in your eyes it might be racist, but I wonder if you had the same experiences
    what would you do? go back for more - I don't think so.

simple question

If you bypass all independent taxis in favour of a company taxi - what would you be told you were being? Not a problem.

If you bypass independent white driver taxis what would you be told you were doing? Being selective

but if you by pass independent black taxi drivers what are ya - oh ya, A Racist.

so if its an Irish independent taxi you won't get into its okay, but just becasue the driver is black then you MUST get in or you are a racist???

dream on.
    you're failing at not being racist

p.s agree the fare before you get in the taxi like a smart person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Every country has Racism.... Ireland is no worse than most other countries. America is by far a much more racist country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Every country has Racism.... Ireland is no worse than most other countries. America is by far a much more racist country.

We're talking about racism in Ireland. Start another thread about racism in the US, if you wish to deflect.

America, with it's African American President?

Yeah, an awful shower that lot.

what a stupid thing to say and completely irrelevant to the issue being discussed.

• Advertisement

Jazzzman wrote: »

what a stupid thing to say and completely irrelevant to the issue being discussed.

There's a lot of deflection going on in this thread. I wonder why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

just cost Barack won doesnt mean racism isn't rampant in usa..

And its not just the white folks being racist... the rest of them all have their fair share.

the point i was making is that racism will always be around... no amount of whining about it will change that... if people decide they dont like someone based on their ethnic background or religious beliefs or sexual preference there is damn all you can do the change it. All you can do is try ensure everyone's safety.

old hippy wrote: »
    'nothing to see here' etc.

just cost Barack won doesnt mean racism isn't rampant in usa..

And its not just the white folks being racist... the rest of them all have their fair share.

the point i was making is that racism will always be around... no amount of whining about it will change that... if people decide they dont like someone based on their ethnic background or religious beliefs or sexual preference there is damn all you can do the change it. All you can do is try ensure everyone's safety.
    The fact Obama is president means the majority of country are willing to have a black man running their country. So American is probably a poor example of a country with 'rampant racism'.

Racism exists in every country, but singling out the USA which is a wonderfully diverse and multi-cultured society seems rather dumb.

Just because there are more racists in the US doesn't mean the country is more racist. Understand that. After all, they do have a few more people living over there than we do here.

It's not a deflection. Ireland is the same as everywhere else for racism. The thread is to talk about racism in Ireland. It happens. Most racists will always be racists no matter what you do. What exactly is there to discuss?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    For all the uproar on boards about that "Horrible chav English woman" on the tram abusing those immigrants, are we any better? Seems to be happening on a large scale in Ireland. This is shocking stuff, in this day and age Irish people are carrying on like this. I've often seen people avoid taxis because the drivers are black, and I'm ashamed to say I have friends at home who do the same. Are we inherently narrow minded? My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/lsquoi-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driverrsquo-2980239.html

We owe these people nothing.

If Africa is the "corrupt sh*thole" as you put it, who is exploiting it and why should we be the ones to help carry the can.

Irish people are racist. Thats the long and the short of it. We are no more or less racist than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

The fact Obama is president means the majority of country are willing to have a black man running their country. So American is probably a poor example of a country with 'rampant racism'.

Racism exists in every country, but singling out the USA which is a wonderfully diverse and multi-cultured society seems rather dumb.

Just because there are more racists in the US doesn't mean the country is more racist. Understand that. After all, they do have a few more people living over there than we do here.

The US might be ethncally diverse but it is by no means the panacea you appear to think. A black president does nothing to change this perception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I can safely say that I have never agreed a fare before we set off in a taxi. That's no excuse for overcharging.

We (the customer) should never have to request the price of a taxi fare if the meter was fair.
    I know that isn't always the case mind you, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If Africa is the "corrupt sh*thole" as you put it, who is exploiting it and why should we be the ones to help carry the can.

Irish people are racist. Thats the long and the short of it. We are no more or less racist than anyone else.

Speak for yourself

LOL, I;ve been getting taxis for years, and I never had to agree a fare. Why should I start now? The fares are set if you know anything about taxi fares. I can estimate how much a fare is at this stage. Why should I have to "agree a fare" so as I won't be seen to be "racist". But then again I suppose if you saw me "agreeing a fare" before I got in, you would think I was "being racist" by giving grief to the driver :D:D

you are bending over backwards and trampling on whoever you can to try and make a nonexistent point about somebody being racist because they choose the taxi they want to get into - it's immature and naive. I don't think I will entertain you anymore, not until you broaden your mind a little.
    :rolleyes: and realise what a racist is, and what is isn't. I'm bored now.

dsmythy wrote: »
    It's not a deflection. Ireland is the same as everywhere else for racism. The thread is to talk about racism in Ireland. It happens. Most racists will always be racists no matter what you do. What exactly is there to discuss?

We should just shrug our shoulders, as is our way?

Nothing to discuss, eh? I wonder how Civil Rights ever came about ...:rolleyes:

funniest and most naive post of the thread :P:P

LOL, I;ve been getting taxis for years, and I never had to agree a fare. Why should I start now? The fares are set if you know anything about taxi fares. I can estimate how much a fare is at this stage. Why should I have to "agree a fare" so as I won't be seen to be "racist". But then again I suppose if you saw me "agreeing a fare" before I got in, you would think I was "being racist" by giving grief to the driver :D:D

you are bending over backwards and trampling on whoever you can to try and make a nonexistent point about somebody being racist because they choose the taxi they want to get into - it's immature and naive. I don't think I will entertain you anymore, not until you broaden your mind a little.

You certainly seem lazy in your dismissal of all black drivers. Because they are all the same, right?

You certainly seem lazy in your dismissal of all black drivers. Because they are all the same, right?

the three I got were, so I won't be going back for more. One bad experience, put it down to bad luck, Two - put it down to a coincidence, Three - time to bail out and cop on.

Not to bothered what you call me over that. Thats your perogative, it won't affect me either way. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I think Irish people may tend to be racist or xenophobic due to inexperience with other races and cultures.
    Suddenly during an economically brighter time, the country is actually a fancied destination and the irrational fear of all things strange or different kicks in.

Yep, Paddies are racists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

JustinDee wrote: »
    I think Irish people may tend to be racist or xenophobic due to inexperience with other races and cultures.
    Suddenly during an economically brighter time, the country is actually a fancied destination and the irrational fear of all things strange or different kicks in.

Yep, Paddies are racists.

Some.

We should just shrug our shoulders, as is our way?

Nothing to discuss, eh? I wonder how Civil Rights ever came about ...:rolleyes:

Comparing modern Ireland to the civil rights period. Odd.

Since you are not the shoulder shrugging type how do you think we should deal with racism other than locking people up for public order offences and assault? What do you propose?

funniest and most naive post of the thread :P:P

coming from the guy who said 'i won't get in a taxi with a black driver, but I'm not racist!!'

you win the prize all day every day chief

you should probably start now so you won't whinge at the end of the journey and the black taxi driver tries to rip you you off

if you're going any sort of distance in the taxi, you can bargain with the driver. you might cough up what the meter says but then you do strike me naive.

racism is tarring one race of people with the same brush in a negative light

examples;

white people are ignorant

black taxi drivers are not trustworthy

etc. etc.

spot the category you fall under sunshine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Basically "I'm not racist, but" is definitely not racist, even if judging by race. Brain washed tbh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

coming from the guy who said 'i won't get in a taxi with a black driver, but I'm not racist!!'

you win the prize all day every day chief

I'd say before you start slating people for your version of "racism" you might want to sort out your own SEXIST issues first. :D

I'd say before you start slating people for your version of "racism" you might want to sort out your own SEXIST issues first. :D

my own version of racism?

which version do you subscribe to exactly?

I'm pretty sure 'intolerance of another race' comes under all definitions of racism.

you go girl!:rolleyes:

my own version of racism?

which version do you subscribe to exactly?

I'm pretty sure 'intolerance of another race' comes under all definitions of racism.

you go girl!:rolleyes:

I notice you did not refer to your own sexism at all? What does that tell me - that you only see what you want to see.

I also notice that you did not answer my simple question on an earlier post on what would be the difference in bypassing a white indepenent taxi or a black independent taxi - is one okay to do but the other not??

that tells me an AWFUL LOT about how your head works (or doesn't as the case may be).

Never mind, when you grow and mature a little you might see the bigger picture. :D

I notice you did not refer to your own sexism at all? What does that tell me - that you only see what you want to see.

I also notice that you did not answer my simple question on an earlier post on what would be the difference in bypassing a white indepenent taxi or a black independent taxi - is one okay to do but the other not??

that tells me an AWFUL LOT about how your head works (or doesn't as the case may be).

Never mind, when you grow and mature a little you might see the bigger picture. :D

When was I sexist?

You've already stated you won't get in a taxi with a black taxi driver. This does not apply to white taxi drivers, therefore you're being racist.

You're very sure of yourself which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

We're talking about racism in Ireland. Start another thread about racism in the US, if you wish to deflect.

It's not irrelevant to compare racism here with racism in other countries in a discussion about racism in Ireland.

Then America might make a good comparison as I don't think there is 'rampant racism' here either.

Then America might make a good comparison as I don't think there is 'rampant racism' here either.
    How do you think a thread would go down on the equivalent of a New York forum with some person saying 'I don't get into cabs that have black drivers because they're all rude, aggressive and con-men'.

It would be deemed incredibly backwards and racist.

On here it seems to be acceptable.

America has had a much longer period to adapt to a multicultural society and they're decades ahead of us in the respect.

There is no comparison.

A large percentage of Irish people remain ignorant to other races, a much larger percentage than Americans I'd bet.

The mayor of Naas recently came out spouting rubbish on the radio about all Africans being rude.

A mayor for goodness sake!

It simply wouldn't happen in America. They have African Americans ruling the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Charmer :P

You quite obviously have not spent much time there. It is a very racist place. And he made a comparison to other places with similar problems.
    How is that irrelevant in a topic with a tittle "Racist Ireland".

The mayor of Naas recently came out spouting rubbish on the radio about all Africans being rude.

It simply wouldn't happen in America. They have African Americans ruling the country.

The first hit on google seems to disprove your view here. And the lads named on the link have said a whole lot worse than the mayor of Naas.
    http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/07/30/top-12-racist-politicians-of-modern-history/

You don't seem to be really in touch with the reality of things. May I ask what age you are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

How do you think a thread would go down on the equivalent of a New York forum with some person saying 'I don't get into cabs that have black drivers because they're all rude, aggressive and con-men'.

It would be deemed incredibly backwards and racist.

On here it seems to be acceptable.

America has had a much longer period to adapt to a multicultural society and they're decades ahead of us in the respect.

There is no comparison.

A large percentage of Irish people remain ignorant to other races, a much larger percentage than Americans I'd bet.

If you think that this type of stuff doesn't happen in America, you're deluding yourself. Here are just a few examples: Jake Knotts - Ragheads, George Allen & Racist Politicians

I don't know where you get the impression that the rest of the US is as multicultural as one of the biggest cities in the world, but there is more to the US than New York and California and it's not always 'wonderfully diverse and multi-cultured'.

And after the recent controversies in the UK (John Terry, Luis Suarez, the tram woman and Diane Abbott), there was a worrying amount of very open and extreme racist comments throughout internet forums and on youtube, in what you'd think would be a more diverse society which has had longer to adapt to its cultural changes.

However, none of this changes Ireland's problems but hopefully it will help raise awareness in Ireland and promote and develop a more tolerant culture, as sometimes seeing it happening in another country will give Irish people a more objective view and make them reconsider their own attitude at home.

If you think that this type of stuff doesn't happen in America, you're deluding yourself. Here are just a few examples: Jake Knotts - Ragheads, George Allen & Racist Politicians

I don't know where you get the impression that the rest of the US is as multicultural as one of the biggest cities in the world, but there is more to the US than New York and California and it's not always 'wonderfully diverse and multi-cultured'.

And after the recent controversies in the UK (John Terry, Luis Suarez, the tram woman and Diane Abbott), there was a worrying amount of very open and extreme racist comments throughout internet forums and on youtube, in what you'd think would be a more diverse society which has had longer to adapt to its cultural changes.

However, none of this changes Ireland's problems but hopefully it will help raise awareness in Ireland and promote and develop a more tolerant culture, as sometimes seeing it happening in another country will give Irish people a more objective view and make them reconsider their own attitude at home.
    So in a country of 300+ million people, those are the best examples you can come up with? Some tired, old politicans calling them names?

Ireland has a population of 4+ million people and we have actual Mayors saying they won't deal with black people from their own constituency, and you bet when people heard what the mayor had said they were nodding in agreement.

I'm well aware there is more to American than NY and Califnornia.

Barack Obama won 28 states in the presidential election, that's 6 more than a white, army veteran. So lets not pretend that every state outside of NY and Cali are all backward, racist thugs. They're not. Lets not pretend all these states and cities outside NY and Cali are Aryan paradises. They're not.

Why people can't accept that Ireland is still very much an ignorant and naive country when it comes to racism is beyond me. I know many, many people who feel uncomfortable around black people, who won't get into taxis driven by black men etc. It's generally a form of racism whether people like it or not. Nobody wants to be brandished a racist, but if you refuse to get in a taxi because you deem 'black people' to be aggressive conmen, then you're being racist.

These people will always have their excuses, like this fishy fish character, but what it boils down to is Irish people not having enough interaction with other races to feel completely comfortable and trustworthy of them. It's not necessarily their fault, but it's down to them to educate themselves and move forward with the rest of the civilized world.

My highlighting of America being a far advanced country in terms of racial acceptance points to black presidents, black judges, you name the position and a black man will have held it. These are example of how far America has come. Does racism exist there? Sure it does, it'll always exist, but for the main part they've moved on as a people and hopefully in the near future we will too.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    You quite obviously have not spent much time there. It is a very racist place. And he made a comparison to other places with similar problems.
    How is that irrelevant in a topic with a tittle "Racist Ireland".

You don't seem to be really in touch with the reality of things. May I ask what age you are?

You don't seem to be able to grasp my point.

May I ask what age you are?

You don't seem to be able to grasp my point.

May I ask what age you are?

I am old enough and well traveled enough to make an accurate comparison between other countries and ourselves. The Irish.

We are certainly not the most tolerant of people when it come to race issues, but are nowhere near the worst either.

I was under the impression from your posts that you disagree with this, and we are in fact the most raciest people in the world.

Again, this thread is about racism in Ireland - it is not some kind of competition to which country contains the most/worst haters.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I am old enough and well traveled enough to make an accurate comparison between other countries and ourselves. The Irish.

We are certainly not the most tolerant of people when it come to race issues, but are nowhere near the worst either.

I was under the impression from your posts that you disagree with this, and we are in fact the most raciest people in the world.
    Maybe you can point out where I said we are one of the worst countries for racism?

All I've done so far in this thread in condemn fish fish for labeling all black taxi drivers as aggressive con-men, I've suggested that America is well ahead of Ireland in the multi-cultured stakes. I've also suggested that there is an underlying theme of ignorance and naivety among the Irish when it comes to people acting racist but not admitting to it/being aware of it.

You seem to accept this yourself.

p.s I don't seem us to be overly racy either!

this is what i said

Indeed that is what you said. And it is on this basis (the use of the adjective black) that I say that such an action, though not necessarily you, is racist.

Your subsequent post goes on to outline all of the reasons why you do so (these are not an issue and I am not contesting them) but in the end, you look at the colour of the drivers skin to make your decision. That their skin colour is not the direct reason you make this decision, but an indicator of more sensible reasons, is besides the point.

A few years ago Jesse Jackson reportedly said:

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved."

And well it might pain him. Not, as with you, because there was an inherent flaw in his thinking. But because he had entertained a racist thought. And also like you, it was not their skin colour directly that leads him to this thinking but an inference from that, based on his experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement