Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenslider

there is two very different cultures in mainstream US and they are not based on ethnic or doctrinal grounds. there is the urban zones on the coasts largely where folk are very much what we would call Westernised in what europeans would reconsider the term appropriate. Then there is the vast interior of smalltown US. In many of these areas there is less enlightenment than one might find in a taliban village in afghanistan. Relaigious fundamentalism, ignorance of the greater world inate xenophobia..fueling the right wing attitudes as seen towards the minorities. To accuse the US of being a racist society or to portray it as a near perfect transcultural model is liketryijng to apply the same generic terms to the diversity of the eurozone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You don't have to go with big taxi firms.
    There are lots of small ones and there is probably one based in your own local area

Unlike National Dublin Radio Cabs. They were a bit ambitious with the company name

If you build up a relationship with a firm well you'll be getting discounts no bother
    And often you don't even have to ask, plenty offering twenty per cent off automatically

Or if you know a local driver just ask for his mobile and he'll sort you out,
    I know there is a two euro callout fee but many driver waive this if you're going a distance, maybe a tenner fare

Very long time since I've used a rank
    You get a randomer and they may be clueless and pretty much no chance you'll get a discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Jazzzman wrote: »
    So in a country of 300+ million people, those are the best examples you can come up with? Some tired, old politicans calling them names?

Ireland has a population of 4+ million people and we have actual Mayors saying they won't deal with black people from their own constituency, and you bet when people heard what the mayor had said they were nodding in agreement.

Well since you're so quick to dismiss examples of racism in another country and seem to rate an example of racism in this country as worse, I get the feeling that you have your own predetermined perception as to the extent of the problem of racism in Ireland.

So what about this:
    Attorney general urges new hate crimes law
    Earlier, a leading civil rights coalition says there has been an increase in white supremacist activity since the election of the first African-American president.

The Leadership Conference on Civil Rights Education Fund reported Tuesday that the economic downturn and fear of immigrants also contributed to the increase.

The report comes a week after a white supremacist killed a security guard at the U.S. Holocaust Museum.

The coalition reported the U.S. now averages a hate crime nearly every hour of every day. A special concern is the rising number of hate crimes committed against Hispanics and gays.
    Barack Obama won 28 states in the presidential election, that's 6 more than a white, army veteran. So lets not pretend that every state outside of NY and Cali are all backward, racist thugs. They're not. Lets not pretend all these states and cities outside NY and Cali are Aryan paradises. They're not.

And I never suggested that they were, but merely wanted to highlight the fact that America, and for that matter the "rest of the civilised world", is not as enlightened as you appear to think...see greenslider's post above.
    Why people can't accept that Ireland is still very much an ignorant and naive country when it comes to racism is beyond me.

I accept that there is racism in Ireland, but I don't accept that Ireland, as a whole, is an ignorant and naive country. And this opinion is not based on merely my own experiences. I have witnessed racism but I know that the vast majority of my friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances would not engage in racist behaviour. And I know plenty of people of African origin, mostly Nigerian, who live very happily here, integrated into their local communities and are not victims of racist abuse and I hope that this continues and I am confidant that, for the most part at least, this will be so.
    My highlighting of America being a far advanced country in terms of racial acceptance points to black presidents, black judges, you name the position and a black man will have held it. These are example of how far America has come. Does racism exist there? Sure it does, it'll always exist, but for the main part they've moved on as a people and hopefully in the near future we will too.

And as you pointed out, America has a population of 300+ million people, and a much larger proportion of non-white ethnicities and so is much more likely that they could have a black president/judge/whatever. This does not reflect on Ireland at all as we have much lower number of non-whites proportionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

It's not irrelevant to compare racism here with racism in other countries in a discussion about racism in Ireland.

Then America might make a good comparison as I don't think there is 'rampant racism' here either.

this is not really a discussion, because a discussion would have two sides and maybe discuss pro and contra. Here we have an OP who believes the Irish are racist. any one who denies or challenges it must themselves be racist.

say anything bad about blacks and you are racist. speak only well of them, which in itself is racist as they are thereby being treated as different.

there is two very different cultures in mainstream US and they are not based on ethnic or doctrinal grounds. there is the urban zones on the coasts largely where folk are very much what we would call Westernised in what europeans would reconsider the term appropriate. Then there is the vast interior of smalltown US. In many of these areas there is less enlightenment than one might find in a taliban village in afghanistan. Relaigious fundamentalism, ignorance of the greater world inate xenophobia..fueling the right wing attitudes as seen towards the minorities. To accuse the US of being a racist society or to portray it as a near perfect transcultural model is liketryijng to apply the same generic terms to the diversity of the eurozone.

are blacks who do not like whites racist?

old hippy wrote: »
    Again, this thread is about racism in Ireland - it is not some kind of competition to which country contains the most/worst haters.

as pointed out its not a discussion. anyone who criticises foreigners or ethnic groups is immediately labelled a racist, backward and ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuinseog wrote: »

Obviously. What are you trying to get at?

this is what i said

No, I will not get into a black taxi for the following reasons

1. Had bad experience with taximan (who later was up in court for assault against a female taxi driver). I was speaking to another passenger, the taximan butted in, and gave his opinion whether we liked it or not. I got out at my destination and he tried to rip me off. I called an alternative taxi company and asked what the price would be for the trip, they quoted me half the price. I told the taximan I would not be overcharged. He caught my bag of chips and slammed them into my face. (by the way he ended up being nigerian)

2. Again got into a taxi into town. Black driver. Took forever to pick me up. I asked him when I got into the cab why it took so long. He said he had just arrived into the country the previous night and was driving his cousins car. He then proceeded to ask me where various "well known" areas were.

3. I have personally seen black taxi drivers jump the rank, and squeeze in at the top of the rank When an Irish man gets out of his taxi to tell him there is a procedure, the white man gets abused up to the high hilt and called a racist for picking on the black taxi man. I have seen this on more than one occasion.

4. I now always make a point of getting into a reputable taxi company who knows where they are going, will issue receipts and has all their paperwork on hand. If I were to get attacked in the taxi at least then I could go back to the company and report the driver. Most of the black taxi men and some irish taxi drivers are "independent" Once you get in you better take their number, car reg, car type because if anything happens in these "indepdendent" taxis you have no come back unless you have ALL the details and description of the car and the driver (who is going to do this after a few drinks). Better safe than sorry.

and finally, I have no problem whatsoever in passing by 100 drivers until I get the one that I want to drive me home. I wouldn't go into a shop and buy the first item I saw, I have a choice. This applies to my taxi home also. Doesn't make me racist.

to simplify it so you will understand.

all my personal bad experiences in taxis were with black taxi drivers who operated independent taxis - as listed above. Does that make me racist - I don't think so. Does that make me want to get into an independent taxi again - I don't think so.

in your eyes it might be racist, but I wonder if you had the same experiences
    what would you do? go back for more - I don't think so.

simple question

If you bypass all independent taxis in favour of a company taxi - what would you be told you were being? Not a problem.

If you bypass independent white driver taxis what would you be told you were doing? Being selective

but if you by pass independent black taxi drivers what are ya - oh ya, A Racist.

so if its an Irish independent taxi you won't get into its okay, but just becasue the driver is black then you MUST get in or you are a racist???

dream on.

all the above makes you a racist and if the phoney liberals get their way it will be a punishable offence to express such opinions. if you do not take the taxi with the black man you are racist.The PC brigade really is pushing people towards intolerance.

Nodin wrote: »
    Obviously. What are you trying to get at?

there are people here who try to make you believe that only white Irish can be racist.

everyone, regardless of race is racist to a certain extent.

blacks avoid white drivers preferring their own. thats racist but nobody makes ahullabullo about it.
    some blacks get up on their high horse if you ask them where they are from. In ireland this would be making convertsion but they misinterpret this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

there are people here who try to make you believe that only white Irish can be racist..

Who are they? name and shame please.
    blacks avoid white drivers preferring their own. thats racist but nobody makes ahullabullo about it...

An unquantifiable anecdote...great stuff.
    some blacks get up on their high horse if you ask them where they are from. In ireland this would be making convertsion but they misinterpret this.

People take a potentially mildly racist comment the wrong way. So......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Again, this thread is about racism in Ireland - it is not some kind of competition to which country contains the most/worst haters.

There's people who are racist in Ireland. What now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

Racism/sectarianism/ignorance exist in all countries, especially those which are subject to mass immigration. Add economic austerity/recession to this and the problem becomes much worse.

Are black people never racist/sectarian, or are they always victims?
    Anyone who has informed themselves about recent events in Nigeria will know the answer. Likewise a visit to parts of London to see how blacks & Asians interact will inform you just how racist they can be given half a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Racism/sectarianism/ignorance exist in all countries, especially those which are subject to mass immigration. Add economic austerity/recession to this and the problem becomes much worse.

Are black people never racist/sectarian, or are they always victims?
    Anyone who has informed themselves about recent events in Nigeria will know the answer. Likewise a visit to parts of London to see how blacks & Asians interact will inform you just how racist they can be given half a chance.

Of course Black people can be racist- they are humans afterall :rolleyes:.

I dont know what you mean by blacks and Asians in "parts of London" will "inform you how racist they can be"?

I agree with you that an upward movement in immigration and economic downturns might lead to negative attitudes towards-"Non-Nationals" but it is abysmal ((based on those facts)) to make any argument to condone/justify racism.

As for your reference to sectarianism,although it is tangential to this discussion, my thoughts on this is that it is unfortunately a global phenomenon based on religion, tribalism etc -all of which I believe will be quite familiar to most posters and yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Hey, why all the hatin'................. because you know what?! :

alphanine wrote: »
    Hey, why all the hatin'................. because you know what?! :

Not funny but whatever makes you feel good about yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Yes... but a big deal is only made of it when its the white person who is being racist.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Yes... but a big deal is only made of it when its the white person who is being racist.

Maybe it will be more beneficial to do a comparative analysis and even research to determine the source of racism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can anybody tell me why we dont see many black people working behind a Deli counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why we dont see many black people working behind a Deli counter?

They'd ship the food home. And in fairness there wouldn't be anything wrong with that. I have seen people from the Indian subcontinent though.

Some of them are pretty dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    For all the uproar on boards about that "Horrible chav English woman" on the tram abusing those immigrants, are we any better? Seems to be happening on a large scale in Ireland. This is shocking stuff, in this day and age Irish people are carrying on like this. I've often seen people avoid taxis because the drivers are black, and I'm ashamed to say I have friends at home who do the same. Are we inherently narrow minded? My own view of it was that Africa is an exploited corrupt sh*thole and we should at least try and offer some of them a better life.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/lsquoi-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driverrsquo-2980239.html

i think you will find a lot of irish got friends from all over and of all colours,but our own goverment or making us more racist when you try make a social claim they get with ease and xtras we dont..

but also the abused or also making us racist now not all of them as i know some are more legit than some irish but when i called a mini bus cab to pick us up a dark coloured bloke (dont know how else to say it) pulls up in a standard cab and called my wifes name and as we were saying we orderd a mini bus the mini bus showed up asking us did he call our name we said he did and cab driver said he has being doing it for months,,so he was useing a scanner to intercept the onest persons work

and yes i have fiends from all over the world of all colours and they are great ppl.

Maybe the dispatcher messed up?

And it's a lot less complicated then using a scanner. Lots of firms use radios and the call goes out and maybe two drivers took the job

Surely you've been in an Irish taxi with a radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sindri wrote: »
    They'd ship the food home. And in fairness there wouldn't be anything wrong with that. I have seen people from the Indian subcontinent though.

Some of them are pretty dark.

Asian alright but never African - I'm just wondering why. perhaps subconscious racism by the Irish people.

"Sure how could I tell if their hands were clean?"

Just remembered that from some TV show, no idea which it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Asian alright but never African - I'm just wondering why. perhaps subconscious racism by the Irish people.

Cause they look different. Same with doctors.

I remember my Grandfather, God rest his soul, after a consultation with a doctor for an operation said afterwards.
    That doctors a darkie.

He was actually the gentlest soul ever and this wasn't meant to be offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

I've not read through the whole thread but I had an uncle who used to work on the sites, back in the sixties and seventies in England and I remember when I was a child one time that he was saying he worked with a "bunch of darkies" and then went on to say what a great bunch of lads they were and how he really got on well with them. Certainly I would not excuse anyone of my generation, I might make a distinction for some older people who don't harbour the belief that one race is superior to another, or hold that anyone of a certain race have negative characteristics, but at the same time fail to grasp the concept that using certain words would just not be socially acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Maybe the dispatcher messed up?

And it's a lot less complicated then using a scanner. Lots of firms use radios and the call goes out and maybe two drivers took the job

Surely you've been in an Irish taxi with a radio
    yup i have and you should know cabs or given a no. to go by for calls
    plus the cab driver told me he was scanning and was not from the taxi firm in question that we had called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

There's a lot of deflection going on in this thread. I wonder why?

because people like you who like to throw the word racism around like its the new hot item to talk about. just because you generalise someone by skin colour its not really racist. its just a feature we can easily identify, the same as being ginger or white or asian or what ever other physical features you can clearly see.

i would imagine to be racist would involve some form of mis-treatment towards them folks. just because we say a black taxi driver or a black shop keeper or whatever does not mean we are being racist, we are simply identifing them by a very noticable feature. its the same when most irish people would slag the yanks for being stupid, would you class that as being racists.

could i ask you a question Old hippy, would i be racist if i said all people with blue eyes who drove taxis were rip-off merchants???

if i may comment also,

this is a quote from michael richards, who played kramer on Seinfeld after he was arrested for apparant racism.

Michael Richards makes his point...................
    Better known as Kramer from TV's "Seinfeld", this was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act.

Someone has finally said it.....but how many are actually paying attention to it?

"There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.
    You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... And that's OK..

But when I call you, ******, Kike, Towel head, Sand-******, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink .....

You call me a racist.
    You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you...

So why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?
    You have the United Negro College Fund;
    You have Martin Luther King Day; you have Black History Month; you have Cesar Chavez Day; you have Yom Hashoah; you have Ma'uled Al-Nabi; you have the NAACP; you have BET....
    If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.. If we had White History Month, we'd be racists. If we had any organisation for whites only to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

You have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.

A white woman cannot be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any colour can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US .. Yet if there were 'White Colleges', that would racist.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud.... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

allibastor wrote: »
    if i may comment also,

this is a quote from michael richards................

As unfortunate and unfair as it may seem, the only real answer to that that makes any sort of sense is ....... Too soon

As unfortunate and unfair as it may seem, the only real answer to that that makes any sort of sense is ....... Too soon

sorry, but how to do you mean? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

here is another reason why you should "know who you are getting into the car with"

There are a number of “unscrupulous” taxi drivers plying their trade in Galway City without proper insurance cover in place, according to Independent Galway West TD Noel Grealish who is calling for this “scam” to be urgently stamped out.

A concerned Deputy Grealish has this week written to the Minister for Justice, Equality, and Law Reform Dermot Ahern, the garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy, and the Taxi Regulator Kathleen Doyle, highlighting the serious nature of these activities and calling for the matter to be fully investigated and addressed.

In the letter, seen by the Galway Advertiser, Deputy Grealish described how “a small number of taxi drivers, unfortunately most of whom are foreign nationals, are purchasing car insurance, to be paid by direct debit over the course of the insurance policy. After two to three months they are cancelling the policy, but they retain a valid insurance certificate and insurance disc. They change address and hence are untraceable within the city”.

The letter goes on to state that: “Unsuspecting members of the public are then using these taxis, unaware that they are actually travelling in an uninsured vehicle and in the unfortunate event of an accident occurring are not covered and will not be able to claim any compensation.”

Speaking to the Advertiser, Deputy Grealish acknowledged that the vast majority of taxi drivers are adequately covered but there is a minority who are intentionally operating this “scam”. He further explained that they are paying deposits to insurance companies who send out the insurance disc and certificate. Then, when the offending drivers do not fulfil their part of the policy agreement and do not pay the full balance, the insurance companies struggle to locate them to get the disc and certificate back.

“They are then driving around with the discs on the windscreen and are in possession of the cert... I would ask that this issue be addressed as a matter of urgency given the very serious nature of the situation and the consequences for members of the public, other road users and fellow taxi drivers who are abiding by the law.”

I remember Ronan Tynan, the singer was labelled anti semite in New York because it a comment he made was taken to mean he did not want Jewish neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

because people like you who like to throw the word racism around like its the new hot item to talk about. just because you generalise someone by skin colour its not really racist. its just a feature we can easily identify, the same as being ginger or white or asian or what ever other physical features you can clearly see.

i would imagine to be racist would involve some form of mis-treatment towards them folks. just because we say a black taxi driver or a black shop keeper or whatever does not mean we are being racist, we are simply identifing them by a very noticable feature. its the same when most irish people would slag the yanks for being stupid, would you class that as being racists.

could i ask you a question Old hippy, would i be racist if i said all people with blue eyes who drove taxis were rip-off merchants???

More deflection & a desperate attempt to meander from the actuality of this thread. Racism in Ireland and it's pitiful apologists.

"People like you", indeed :rolleyes:

Read the thread, why don't you? It's the wilful and ignorant dismissal of all black taxi drivers, as if they are some homogenous mass, incapable of individuality.

As for "slagging of the yanks for being stupid" - yes; it's racist and says more about our mentality. Or yours, with your "most Irish people" rubbish.

And my mom's American, so screw you, btw.

Christ on a bike, here's me looking fwd to coming home next week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I remember Ronan Tynan, the singer was labelled anti semite in New York because it a comment he made was taken to mean he did not want Jewish neighbours.

yes I remember that too - he made a reference to them moving in down below and some PC obsessive reported him. The comment was completely innocent

here is another reason why you should "know who you are getting into the car with"

There are a number of “unscrupulous” taxi drivers plying their trade in Galway City without proper insurance cover in place, according to Independent Galway West TD Noel Grealish who is calling for this “scam” to be urgently stamped out.

A concerned Deputy Grealish has this week written to the Minister for Justice, Equality, and Law Reform Dermot Ahern, the garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy, and the Taxi Regulator Kathleen Doyle, highlighting the serious nature of these activities and calling for the matter to be fully investigated and addressed.

In the letter, seen by the Galway Advertiser, Deputy Grealish described how “a small number of taxi drivers, unfortunately most of whom are foreign nationals, are purchasing car insurance, to be paid by direct debit over the course of the insurance policy. After two to three months they are cancelling the policy, but they retain a valid insurance certificate and insurance disc. They change address and hence are untraceable within the city”.

The letter goes on to state that: “Unsuspecting members of the public are then using these taxis, unaware that they are actually travelling in an uninsured vehicle and in the unfortunate event of an accident occurring are not covered and will not be able to claim any compensation.”

Speaking to the Advertiser, Deputy Grealish acknowledged that the vast majority of taxi drivers are adequately covered but there is a minority who are intentionally operating this “scam”. He further explained that they are paying deposits to insurance companies who send out the insurance disc and certificate. Then, when the offending drivers do not fulfil their part of the policy agreement and do not pay the full balance, the insurance companies struggle to locate them to get the disc and certificate back.

“They are then driving around with the discs on the windscreen and are in possession of the cert... I would ask that this issue be addressed as a matter of urgency given the very serious nature of the situation and the consequences for members of the public, other road users and fellow taxi drivers who are abiding by the law.”

Ah yes, the country's being flooded by criminals. Sure there was nothing but law & order before them foreigners came in :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

prior to this only travellers were allowed to go around with no insurance.

but if they are black you are suppose to ignore that and Grealish will be hit with the racism club (usually phone calls and death threats until he recants). A black taxi driver raped a girl in Galway last year, but you are forbidden from mentioning it. they do as they please and if you have a problem the race is played.
    they park where they want and the racist police try in vain to move them on.

another black taxi driver in the same city abducted a girl because she would not pay the 50 cent extra he demanded.

Ah yes, the country's being flooded by criminals. Sure there was nothing but law & order before them foreigners came in :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

foreigners are welcome, but they have to obey the rules. simple as. why treat them differently? we have enough of our own gougers.
    I wonder would I be the victim of racism if i went to Nigeria?

Cause they look different. Same with doctors.

I remember my Grandfather, God rest his soul, after a consultation with a doctor for an operation said afterwards.

he was no used to them just like a red haired European will be the source of wonder in Africa.

but if they are black you are suppose to ignore that and Grealish will be hit with the racism club (usually phone calls and death threats until he recants). A black taxi driver raped a girl in Galway last year, but you are forbidden from mentioning it. they do as they please and if you have a problem the race is played.

another black taxi driver in the same city abducted a girl because she would not pay the 50 cent extra he demanded.

Links to each and every single one of your allegations, please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

White Taxi Drivers have been convicted of sexual assaults too you know!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

foreigners are welcome, but they have to obey the rules. simple as. why treat them differently? we have enough of our own gougers.
    I wonder would I be the victim of racism if i went to Nigeria?

Don't treat them differently, treat them as you would anyone else. Which is why I have a problem with those who would castigate every black person who drives a taxi.

Nigeria is made up of many diffrerent tribes/nations/peoples/religions. Do you think you would be treated negatively or positively there? Irish people have been working out there for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I disagree with almost every thing you have said. I have found race to be a non-issue when it comes to taxi drivers committing offences.

More deflection & a desperate attempt to meander from the actuality of this thread. Racism in Ireland and it's pitiful apologists.

"People like you", indeed :rolleyes:

Read the thread, why don't you? It's the wilful and ignorant dismissal of all black taxi drivers, as if they are some homogenous mass, incapable of individuality.

As for "slagging of the yanks for being stupid" - yes; it's racist and says more about our mentality. Or yours, with your "most Irish people" rubbish.

And my mom's American, so screw you, btw.

Christ on a bike, here's me looking fwd to coming home next week. :rolleyes:

well i dont know about deflection, if you actually read my posts you would see i am answering the questions that are being asked, but asking my own about why it is only racist if it is a white person who says something about a black person.

you missed my point, sometimes it is just a way of describing someone, that they have black skin or blue eyes is irrelevent. its just a discriptive.

being a racist means the continual degredation of a person or peoples because of ethnicicity. using previous experiences to gauge the actions you have found in the past is not. it was just a general observation that fishy fish made that she had noticed that the black taxi driver she had met had been bad. if you want to call her a racist ask if she savagely beat the driver after he dropped her off or did something else to him to justify being a racist.

also i dont think americans are stupid, but it is a mis-conception that people have due to the less than high standard of testing in america which produces lower scores and huge volumes of people with little education there. you are obviosuly not clever enough be able to distinguise between a comment and an actual attack on your poor mother.

would you class me as a racist from reading my comments thus far old hippy.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

well i dont know about deflection, if you actually read my posts you would see i am answering the questions that are being asked, but asking my own about why it is only racist if it is a white person who says something about a black person.

you missed my point, sometimes it is just a way of describing someone, that they have black skin or blue eyes is irrelevent. its just a discriptive.

being a racist means the continual degredation of a person or peoples because of ethnicicity. using previous experiences to gauge the actions you have found in the past is not. it was just a general observation that fishy fish made that she had noticed that the black taxi driver she had met had been bad. if you want to call her a racist ask if she savagely beat the driver after he dropped her off or did something else to him to justify being a racist.

also i dont think americans are stupid, but it is a mis-conception that people have due to the less than high standard of testing in america which produces lower scores and huge volumes of people with little education there. you are obviosuly not clever enough be able to distinguise between a comment and an actual attack on your poor mother.

would you class me as a racist from reading my comments thus far old hippy.?

I'd class you as someone who doesn't know the difference between racism and hate crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

sorry, but how to do you mean? thanks.

Well speaking specifically about american blacks, it wasn't long ago when they were treated really bad because of the colour of their skin, and it will take them a while to develop a thicker skin about the past. So you could say it's too soon in a way for them, their pain is still raw.

Whatever about some blacks from certain countries, who piggyback on the pain of black people who have suffered, who have never experienced true racism yet play the 'racist card' the minute they step off the plane. Behavior like this puts the cause of black people back years and the onus is on each black community to stop this behavior as much as it is on the white communities to deal with and stop racism from within.

Links to each and every single one of your allegations, please

you must live in a cave or avoid reading newspapers. your request is not all difficult.

http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php?topic=11864.0

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19610-taxi-driver-jailed-city-sexual-assault

oh, its not just galway

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-taxi-driver-jailed-for-rape-466190.html

Well speaking specifically about american blacks, it wasn't long ago when they were treated really bad because of the colour of their skin, and it will take them a while to develop a thicker skin about the past. So you could say it's too soon in a way for them, their pain is still raw.

Whatever about some blacks from certain countries, who piggyback on the pain of black people who have suffered, who have never experienced true racism yet play the 'racist card' the minute they step off the plane. Behavior like this puts the cause of black people back years and the onus is on each black community to stop this behavior as much as it is on the white communities to deal with and stop racism from within.

i agree with you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:
    Fuinseog banned again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

if i may comment also,

this is a quote from michael richards, who played kramer on Seinfeld after he was arrested for apparant racism.

Michael Richards makes his point...................
    Better known as Kramer from TV's "Seinfeld", this was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act.

Someone has finally said it.....but how many are actually paying attention to it?

"There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.
    You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... And that's OK..

But when I call you, ******, Kike, Towel head, Sand-******, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink .....

You call me a racist.
    You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you...

So why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?
    You have the United Negro College Fund;
    You have Martin Luther King Day; you have Black History Month; you have Cesar Chavez Day; you have Yom Hashoah; you have Ma'uled Al-Nabi; you have the NAACP; you have BET....
    If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.. If we had White History Month, we'd be racists. If we had any organisation for whites only to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

You have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.

A white woman cannot be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any colour can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US .. Yet if there were 'White Colleges', that would racist.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud.... But you call me a racist.

Fake, he never said that.

• Advertisement

Well done, King. The apologists for racism, casual or otherwise need to have their lies exposed.

Advertisement