Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

old hippy wrote: »
    Well done, King. The apologists for racism, casual or otherwise need to have their lies exposed.

I don't get why anyone would want to quote a proven racist anyhow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I don't get why anyone would want to quote a proven racist anyhow.

Good point. Then again, there was a "demo" outside the British Embassy the other weekend by Irish supporters of that British woman who racially abused her fellow passengers. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

mercenary2 wrote: »
    i think you will find a lot of irish got friends from all over and of all colours,but our own goverment or making us more racist when you try make a social claim they get with ease and xtras we dont..

This is a new one. The govt making people become racist because people can't get welfare easy enough. FFS.

#15 wrote: »
    This is a new one. The govt making people become racist because people can't get welfare easy enough. FFS.

LOL; during the height of the so-called boom; there were those who were saying that "they're only here for our money" and people became tight and suspicious. You can't win. Newcomers are always the scapegoat for people's sad and unfulfilled lives. Rich or poor.

As for the other poster's suggestion that "they" get welfare so easily and plentifuly, this is a myth.

I fully expect the usual suspects to re-appear with how "they all drive BMWs and live in big houses free" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

y

Would you ever **** off and fist yourself you self pompous prick. Any time someone disagrees with you and can provide proof which pretty much shuts you up, you run off crying and seeking that posters are banned, as you did earlier with another poster. We know you did it.

Your absolutely obsessed with this topic and everything is racist to you.

I am off now, no doubt getting banned.

No doubt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Walrus banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

old hippy wrote: »
    Good point. Then again, there was a "demo" outside the British Embassy the other weekend by Irish supporters of that British woman who racially abused her fellow passengers. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? ;)

Them guys were racist goons.

Do you feel there is enough been done within black communities to deal with racism towards white irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Them guys were racist goons.

Do you feel there is enough been done within black communities to deal with racism towards white irish?

Is that a substantial issue in your knowledge/ experience.

afrodub wrote: »
    Is that a substantial issue in your knowledge/ experience.

Are you telling me its such a small issue that it doesn't warrant addressing?

Are you telling me its such a small issue that it doesn't warrant addressing?

I merely wish to be aware how prevalent this is `racism in the black community against white Irish`, again what is your knowledge/ experience, if you can elaborate.

• Advertisement

afrodub wrote: »
    I merely wish to be aware how prevalent this is `racism in the black community against white Irish`, again what is your knowledge/ experience, if you can elaborate.

As you might well know anecdotal experiences count for very little here. But yes I have been on the receiving end of racist abuse from members of the african communtity several times.

How prevalent do you think this needs to become before african communities move to deal with the issue within themselves? Or is this already happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I dont consider myself racist however i too would avoid black taxi drivers purely because they have a reputation of over charging, being agresssive and then throwing the 'is it because i'm black?' line to excuse their behaviour. I'm speaking in realtion to the taxi drivers in my home town and no where else. Now i know not all black taxi drivers behave this way and the vast majority are ordinary decent folk trying to earn a living BUT i am unable to distuinguish which ones they are and so for that very reason i choose to get a taxi driver that i know either in person or at least to see. That is not being racist, that is excercising caution.

There certainly is a considerable amount of racism in Ireland however from my own limited experience i think a lot of non irish people jump on the "i've been racially abused" wagon far too easily. They expect to behave/act exactly as they would in their own country and expect to be accomodated at every juncture, they make no allowance for the fact theyre not in their home country any longer or that their habits/customs are not known/understood/tolerated here. They then complain to everyone and anyone that will listen (guards/media etc) yet never concede that some of the abuse they endure is as a direct result of their own behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

CJC999 wrote: »
    I dont consider myself racist however i too would avoid black taxi drivers purely because they have a reputation of over charging, being agresssive and then throwing the 'is it because i'm black?' line to excuse their behaviour. I'm speaking in realtion to the taxi drivers in my home town and no where else. Now i know not all black taxi drivers behave this way and the vast majority are ordinary decent folk trying to earn a living BUT i am unable to distuinguish which ones they are and so for that very reason i choose to get a taxi driver that i know either in person or at least to see. That is not being racist, that is excercising caution.

There certainly is a considerable amount of racism in Ireland however from my own limited experience i think a lot of non irish people jump on the "i've been racially abused" wagon far too easily. They expect to behave/act exactly as they would in their own country and expect to be accomodated at every juncture, they make no allowance for the fact theyre not in their home country any longer or that their habits/customs are not known/understood/tolerated here. They then complain to everyone and anyone that will listen (guards/media etc) yet never concede that some of the abuse they endure is as a direct result of their own behaviour.

CJ I'm afriad you are going to be called a racist on this thread now, becuase you "exercise caution" re. your safety in getting home. Not only that but you will also be accused of being an out and out racist even tho you are keeping to the thread and dealing with the taxi issue. Any relevant point you make will be ignored in favour of people calling you a racist.

I hope the same people are jumping into these independent taxis every chance they get, no matter what they get phsically slapped into the face (I notice nobody commented on that ) and I hope they also put their elderly grannies and small childen with them in same. I doubt it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 matt1987p

That can be true but as you said its only a minority of them can be like that and gives all black taxi drivers a bad name ,

Same as anything, travellers for example most are ordinary decent people but one or two start stealling or fighting in an area and suddenly every one of them are such and such ...

But as said a lot of the time Ireland is behind in times and most of our parents were someway racist knowingly or not and that passes on without them knowing to their children. whether its a direty look at a black taxi driver cause they heard a story children pick up on this and follow suit as they grow up...

Even for example one of our Lecturers in college very well educated, teaching years and his still full blow racist but the funny thing he doesnt even notice or think his anyway racist but some of his remarks if were turned on him he'd prob be fired over them...

I for one everytime i hear a racist remark like ""im not getting into that taxi the drivers that taxi driver is dodgy his black"" straight up tell them be it a friend or who ever to shut the f**k up and get in, if they do over charge or whichever i remember the taxi drivers name, and the colour of the car not the colour of his SKIN ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenslider

Racist behaviour,I would argue, is endemic to the human condition. The same tendencies would involve equally unpleasant sexist behaviour, homophobic behaviour, the segraegation and bullying of people who have communicational issues (apergers or autisic tendencies..whatever...weirdos they'd be labelled as I guess. I would also include the abuse of people who see as stupid or having opinions/ beliefs that are totally at odds with our own). The question I would put to everyone; is it the values we place on commodoties and material things that shapes our behaviour towards one and other and defines the parameter by which we judge one another different? If we have thought that one out, then is it really the issue of first generation immigrants...of any colour/creed that the thread is obsessed with rather than generic/univerdal racist behaviour? I believe that communicational issues are the primary source of conflict between people..and language and culture can act as a divide when people are dealing with new arrivals.
    As for the issue of black guys in the deli..I dont know but I've worked with plenty of black guys in kitchens..seems Botswana, Nigeria and South africa have plenty of representatives in the chef community out there.
    African communities dealing with these issues themselves. I'd be loathe to use the word community when it comes to potential for antisocia; behaviour. Its individuals who chose these actions..and there is always soemone willing to react to any action.
    Using words like Apologist i would feel uncomfortable with. If someone is of a definitive racist persuasion he /she wouldnt be apologising..maybe Ignorant might be a better word to describe them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

"Oh great, a new post in the 'Racist Ireland thread'"

*click "go to first unread post"*
    I dont consider myself racist...

"Oooo, I wonder what's coming next..."
    ...however i too would avoid black taxi drivers purely because they have a reputation of over charging, being agresssive and then throwing the 'is it because i'm black?' line to excuse their behaviour.

"There it is..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

People dont like other people.

The reason will vary and will sometimes include their race, religion, orientation and a variety of other reasons.

Thats the way life is sometimes and will never change.

People pre-judge groups according to previous experience rightly or wrongly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OK. So you disagree with what I say. Why?

It's a stupid statement.
    EG:
    You get knocked down and the driver keeps going. You're on the ground with a broken leg. I walk past and don't stop. Why? I owe nothing to you.
    An old man down the road hasn't had anyone vist him in years. Should I pop in to see if he's ok? No. I owe nothing to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mercenary2 wrote: »
    i think you will find a lot of irish got friends from all over and of all colours,but our own goverment or making us more racist when you try make a social claim they get with ease and xtras we dont..

Maybe what's "making us more racist" is believing stories about welfare that have no foundation in fact whatsoever.
    fuinseog wrote:
    A black taxi driver raped a girl in Galway last year, but you are forbidden from mentioning it.

............yet you could find a newspaper article about it.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's a stupid statement.
    EG:
    You get knocked down and the driver keeps going. You're on the ground with a broken leg. I walk past and don't stop. Why? I owe nothing to you.
    An old man down the road hasn't had anyone vist him in years. Should I pop in to see if he's ok? No. I owe nothing to him.

Ok. I responded to a post where the poster suggested that we (as a nation) should hellp better the lives of people because Africa is corrupt and exploited. The gist of my response was that Ireland is not responsible for African corruption or their exploitation. Therefore we are not obliged (as a nation) to pay for something in which we have had little or no involvement. We are not obliged to do anything. Whether we do or not is another matter but we should do it for the right reasons.

Now maybe I'm missing something here but your analogy is stupid. What has african corruption and exploitation and the irish response to it got to do with the admnistration of medical assistance to the victim of a road traffic accident and a vicim of loneliness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can somebody tell me if only buying Irish Chickens is racist?

All this time I might have been a racist without knowing it:confused:

Oranage2 wrote: »

Ok. I responded to a post where the poster suggested that we (as a nation) should hellp better the lives of people because Africa is corrupt and exploited. The gist of my response was that Ireland is not responsible for African corruption or their exploitation. Therefore we are not obliged (as a nation) to pay for something in which we have had little or no involvement.

Now maybe I'm missing something here but your analogy is stupid. What has african corruption and exploitation and the irish response to it got to do with the admnistration of medical assistance to the victim of a road traffic accident and a vicim of loneliness.

You said "what do we owe them"?
    My point was, you don't "owe" anyone you don't know. So why help anyone?

You said "what do we owe them"?
    My point was, you don't "owe" anyone you don't know. So why help anyone?

Why pay for someone elses mistakes. My contention was that if we are going to help then it shouldnt be on the basis of a problem caused by someone else. Helping someone who was knocked down is a differen scenario altogether

Why pay for someone elses mistakes. My contention was that if we are going to help then it shouldnt be on the basis of a problem caused by someone else. Helping someone who was knocked down is a differen scenario altogether

Why? It's costing you time. Time is money.
    Helping strangers with problems that you didn't nessessarly cause yourself isn't stupid.

Why? It's costing you time. Time is money.
    Helping strangers with problems that you didn't nessessarly cause yourself isn't stupid.

Nobody said that

As you might well know anecdotal experiences count for very little here. But yes I have been on the receiving end of racist abuse from members of the african communtity several times.

How prevalent do you think this needs to become before african communities move to deal with the issue within themselves? Or is this already happening?

Yes I can truly emphathise that you have been on the receiving end, its not nice is it really not nice at all.Still I`m not a spokesperson for Africans nor an `African community`, though I am not aware of any significant issue here, namely African on white Irish racism/ prejudice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Oranage2 wrote: »

Nah you just have good taste Irish meat and dairy products are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 truthspeaker

its not a small minority mate, its a large proportion of paddies, more are than are not, its the paddy way, the way of the paddy

• Advertisement

its not a small minority mate, its a large proportion of paddies, more are than are not, its the paddy way, the way of the paddy

....jaysus, aren't you the live one.

Nah you just have good taste Irish meat and dairy products are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest

apart from British meat and dairy obviously

Nodin wrote: »
    ....jaysus, aren't you the live one.

alive and kicking:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've had many rows about this with friends of mine (always female) who refuse to get into a taxi with a black taxi driver. The funny thing is, they justify it to themselves and have the cheek to still insist that they are not racist. It disgusts me to be honest.

I've also noticed in conversation with random people at the pub or wherever, that there is a surprising amount of covert racism amongst the Irish. A lot of people don't realise they are racist, or if they do they don't broadcast it, but its there bubbling under the surface in some of the things they say.

It always surprises me because I tend to operate under the assumption that the people I'm dealing with on a daily basis aren't racist. It particularly takes me by surprise when it is somebody that I otherwise respect, or consider intelligent and open minded.

The funny thing is, I have to wonder if I'm a little racist myself because I tend to go out of my way to be extra-nice to people of other races in an effort to try and make up for other people's behaviour.

LeighH wrote: »
    I've had many rows about this with friends of mine (always female) who refuse to get into a taxi with a black taxi driver. The funny thing is, they justify it to themselves and have the cheek to still insist that they are not racist. It disgusts me to be honest.

I've also noticed in conversation with random people at the pub or wherever, that there is a surprising amount of covert racism amongst the Irish. A lot of people don't realise they are racist, or if they do they don't broadcast it, but its there bubbling under the surface in some of the things they say.

It always surprises me because I tend to operate under the assumption that the people I'm dealing with on a daily basis aren't racist. It particularly takes me by surprise when it is somebody that I otherwise respect, or consider intelligent and open minded.

The funny thing is, I have to wonder if I'm a little racist myself because I tend to go out of my way to be extra-nice to people of other races in an effort to try and make up for other people's behaviour.

Just be yourself, treat as you find. Otherwise you'll have the dreaded anti-PC Brigade Brigade on your trail ;)

What about the sequel, Enter the Paddy..great crack :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Agento.T.o

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries. The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them. Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites. What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries? How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem? And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this? But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews. They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white. Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I dont consider myself racist …
    Bad start! :)
    … however i too would avoid black taxi drivers purely because they have a reputation of over charging ….

That is not being racist, that is excercising caution.
    False dichotomy. There isn’t an either / or, it can be both exercising caution and racism.

I don’t doubt that your intent is to exercise caution and perhaps what you are doing does indeed make you safer, perhaps I would do the same if I had the same experience as you. But if you are making your decision on the basis of the driver being black, as you say you are, then that is racist. It doesn’t make you a racist, but that is racism.

I am not moralizing here, if you can justify your owns attitude to yourself then good and well, but characterizing someone in a negative way on the basis of their skin colour, even if this is just an indicator for something else, even if it is imminently sensible or justifiable behavior, is what we deem to be racist. That's simply the label we have for this.

Of course you could make the semantic argument that it shouldn’t be classified as racism. And it certainly is on a much lower level than those who have unfounded prejudices against other races and are simply racist to the core, just as racist jokes for example would be on a lower level again. There is certainly an argument that it isn’t at all appropriate to be using the very same term, racist, to describe someone who considers his race to be superior to others as it is to describe someone who uses the N word, but that’s the way the meaning of that word has evolved.

I think perhaps the reason why some fail to see that this is racism, even if you think you can justify it, is because there when it comes to making individual decisions on all sorts of matters, we are free to be as prejudiced as we like. Look at the number of people here who have (rightly) said, we are free to accept or reject any taxi driver we like. Indeed we are, because we don’t police how we make personal choices (it is all but impossible to do so anyway) because this is something we believe society should not unduly interfere with.

So consider the following. Instead of any one of us as individuals deciding we would not use the services of a black taxi driver, image a public body (or private one for that matter) placed an ad inviting tenders to provide taxiing service and had as a footnote, “In light of extensive bad experiences we have had in the past, black drivers will not be considered and need not apply”.

Would this be racist? And if so, what is it not racist if an individual does so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

We are all racist. All of us.

When a black person calls a black person 'n*gger' and a white person can't, it's double standards.

Black people should work to get rid of the n-word word from their own lexicon, as well as working to get rid of it's use by white people.

Every country has Racism.... Ireland is no worse than most other countries. America is by far a much more racist country.

Ireland is by far the worst country for racism in the world, there is absolutely no other race of people more bigoted and racist than paddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Agento.T.o

Ireland is by far the worst country for racism in the world, there is absolutely no other race of people more bigoted and racist than paddies

In your opinion we are racist but your only saying that because we are White Irish & want to remain that way thank-you very much & clearly your Anti-Irish. Anti-racist is just a code word for Anti-white.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

The new form of anti-Irish racism from our exterminatory Empire building neighbours, who killed hundreds of millions of untermensch in their quest for world domination, is to call the "Paddies" racist.

It wouldn't even be hilarious were it not so tragic and dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wolfscompass

Only Whites are labeled 'racists.' Only anti-White policies and laws are covered by hate speech. Only Whites can be convicted of Hate Speech and Hate Crimes. That is why I can state with confidence that anti-racist is just a codeword for anti-White.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

did stormfront link here?

feck off

Christ you're hilarious.
    Agent to wrote:
    In your opinion we are racist but your only saying that because we are White Irish & want to remain that way thank-you very much & clearly your Anti-Irish. Anti-racist is just a code word for Anti-white.

Bollocks.
    Only Whites are labeled 'racists.' Only anti-White policies and laws are covered by hate speech. Only Whites can be convicted of Hate Speech and Hate Crimes. That is why I can state with confidence that anti-racist is just a codeword for anti-White.

More bollocks
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/10/muslim-anti-gay-leaflet-hate?INTCMP=SRCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yahew wrote: »
    did stormfront link here?

feck off

People give Stormfront far too much credit, it's become the most famous forum even when it's not even busy

Stormfront Ireland hasn't been busy in over three years

People are on another place now

Yahew wrote: »
    The new form of anti-Irish racism from our exterminatory Empire building neighbours, who killed hundreds of millions of untermensch in their quest for world domination, is to call the "Paddies" racist.

It wouldn't even be hilarious were it not so tragic and dumb.

haha, your the first to pick up on that, well done, maybe all paddies are not racist ****s, oh no wait a minute you are.

Agento.T.o wrote: »

its not just my opinion, wake up and smell the coffee, and read some of the comments on this post, basically every single one of them that isn't from an Iorish person is complaining about paddy racism! I'm not anti-irish, but i have lived in paddy land for a number of years, and have experienced first hand the narrow minded outlook of paddies and the un interest in anything that is not paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

its not just my opinion, wake up and smell the coffee, and read some of the comments on this post, basically every single one of them that isn't from an Iorish person is complaining about paddy racism! I'm not anti-irish, but i have lived in paddy land for a number of years, and have experienced first hand the narrow minded outlook of paddies and the un interest in anything that is not paddy

Well to be fair, if your posts are indicative of your attitude in day to day life it's hardly surprising the paddies have no interest in you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't know a single Irish person who isn't racist tbh. Very racist country but the Irish have a big problem accepting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

SV wrote: »
    I don't know a single Irish person who isn't racist tbh. Very racist county but the Irish have a big problem accepting it.

You're reading too much into it

If you're from the neighboring county during Championship season you're in for abuse, nothing bad meant by it

You'll even get the same if you are from the next parish

So are you hearing people getting shouting at?
    Some people are too sensitive

• Advertisement
Advertisement