Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 chopper84

Ireland can't be all that racist. I mean when you put the actions of the Irish relative to other Europeans we come out as quite tolerant in comparison. Irish fans weren't chucking bananas at Paul McGrath, Phil Lynott wasnt barred from performing in certain clubs. In fact, the great abolotionist and former slave Frederick Douglas cited Ireland as one of the first places where he actually felt he was treated as an equal.

On a lighter side I read a great metaphor on race relations in the guise of the whole boggers/jackeens debate.

http://laymansnews.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/too-many-boggers-on-the-team-leinster-fan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

SV wrote: »
    Talking about the people posting.

But you're all victims, really.

of ?

If by painting all the Irish with the same brush, then you yourself are indeed being racist. Drawing conclusions on someone based on only their nationality is the same as doing so based on their race, gender, sexual orientation etc.

Responding to racism by being racist yourself still makes you a racist, albeit a reactionary one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Not sure quite how many people can read thoroughly on this thread.

Every one _I've_ met.
    I'm sure there's a few that aren't racist.

Every one _I've_ met.

'Everyone you've met'. Did you ever stop to think that maybe you were the one with the problem not them. It just seems highly unlikely, unless the number of actual Irish people you've ever met is less than, lets say, 3.

chopper84 wrote: »

Every one _I've_ met.

'Everyone you've met'. Did you ever stop to think that maybe you were the one with the problem not them. It just seems highly unlikely, unless the number of actual Irish people you've ever met is less than, lets say, 3.

You know you hear people talk about hating an entire race and that they should **** off home..you tend to believe that it's not aimed at yourself. Which it wasn't..so nah, nothing to do with me!

Hear it towards every race really, depending on the group.
    I have irish friends like. I'm sure they like me enough, still horribly racist though. Just not towards me this time. :)

You know you hear people talk about hating an entire race and that they should **** off home..you tend to believe that it's not aimed at yourself. Which it wasn't..so nah, nothing to do with me!

Hear it towards every race really, depending on the group.

Again, being melodramatic and not actually answering the question.

There's no denial that there are racists in Ireland, but racism isn't the exclusive preserve of one group. There are racists in every nation on earth.

But to call the Irish racist because you have experienced a few incidents of racism makes you guilty of racism yourself, because your taking the actions of a small few and then concluding that the majority are guilty of the same.

The vitriol might not be the same but your'e still guilty of the same close-minded thinking of those few Irish people who say such hateful things.

Clearly you can't read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Maybe if you've grown up in Ireland being of a different colour or mixed race, you might well form an opinion that people are racist. Especially if you hear slights and epithets and suspect comments every single day of your life. Wouldn't blame you at all for having a negative outlook. I remember a post (not on boards) where a black Irish woman complained about her treatment growing up and how it coloured her outlook. Someone replied that she had "a chip on her shoulder". Well, you would, wouldn't you?

My friend here in London (of Caribbean parentage) grew up in Birmingham in the 70s and was regularly harrassed about being black, she's still very angry about it.

And to a lesser extent, I endured years of comments like "yankee doodle" and "stupid yank", simply because my mom hails from the US :rolleyes:

Clearly you can't read.

Touche, your mastery of debate clearly knows no bounds.

• Advertisement

Clearly you can't read.

Touche, your mastery of debate clearly knows no bounds.
    If you could read, and perhaps comprehend, what I'm saying then you would see me mentioning several times it's Irish people I know. I even mentioned that I'm sure not all irish are racist.

But you know, good luck with that selective reading. Bet it gets you far.

If you could read, and perhaps comprehend, what I'm saying then you would see me mentioning several times it's Irish people I know. I even mentioned that I'm sure not all irish are racist.

All sane-minded people will be able to comprehend what your'e saying, which is 'Ive met some Irish people, they were racist therefore I feel there must be a pretty big racist problem in Ireland and anyone that dares to disagree with me on this is an idiot'

That's what you're saying. Its churlish, fatuous and quite bigoted.

Oh, and to say 'I'm sure not all irish are racist', still qualifies the statement to the extent that it infers that a large percentage probably are racist.

You should really stop to think about the implication of your word's before you so hurriedly type them.

All sane-minded people will be able to comprehend what your'e saying, which is 'Ive met some Irish people, they were racist therefore I feel there must be a pretty big racist problem in Ireland and anyone that dares to disagree with me on this is an idiot'

That's what you're saying. Its churlish, fatuous and quite bigoted.

Oh, and to say 'I'm sure not all irish are racist', still qualifies the statement to the extent that it infers that a large percentage probably are racist.

You should really stop to think about the implication of your word's before you so hurriedly type them.

I don't think people who disagree with me are idiots. I'm the one who's being called an idiot for voicing an opinion.

It's my belief. It may not be true but it holds more worth with me than anything any stranger could say.

I'm not seeing anything that contradicts it anyway, other than more strangers saying I'm wrong without even knowing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jude_2010

I've a funny story but I'm not sure if the culprit was being racist or just closed minded.
    Okay we were at a teenage disco and one of my mates approached this girl to ask for 'the shift' (cause that's pretty much the only respectful thing to do with a girl at one of these discos) any ways she then turned to her friend and said "should I meet him?" her fried said "i dont know its up to you" and she then said "but he's black" my mate, standing there listening to the conversation, basically said "f- you" and walked away.
    I didn't know what to think haha was she being racist here, i dont think so maybe just ignorant, yes. Because as soon as the Jason Derulo song came on she got straight to the dance floor. If she was a proper racist she would despise all things black, (music, shows, people) etc.. any ways whats your take on that ;)

I don't think people who disagree with me are idiots. I'm the one who's being called an idiot for voicing an opinion.

It's my belief. It may not be true but it holds more worth with me than anything any stranger could say.

I'm not seeing anything that contradicts it anyway, other than more strangers saying I'm wrong without even knowing me.

Again, you are the one who explicitly stated that Irish people had chips on their shoulder. You are the one who explicitly said that I 'couldn't read'. You are the one who implied that I wouldn't get far in life. You said these things, not others.

So, it's a bit late at this stage to be getting out the violin and to start playing the victim in all of this.

Again, you are the one who explicitly stated that Irish people had chips on their shoulder. You are the one who explicitly said that I 'couldn't read'. You are the one who implied that I wouldn't get far in life. You said these things, not others.

So, it's a bit late at this stage to be getting out the violin and to start playing the victim in all of this.

I said the people that were talking in this thread had chips on their shoulder. I also went on to explain that but clearly, you can't read as you choose to ignore it which is your second point there.
    As for the third, selective reading and responding to the bits you like and trying to call it a ' debate'? Pathetic at best.

I've been called racist, bigoted, an arsehole and an idiot so far. Why? For stating something that NOONE here can argue with, as they don't know me. That is, that I don't know a single Irish person who isn't racist, and I don't.

So eh, get down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

There definitely is racism here I noticed that when I am with my friend who is Indian I notice he is treated differently to others for example we get chips sometimes at the local chipshop we go there regularly to get chips and the staff are not friendily to him even though he is a regular. they say 'happy new year' to the other customers but not to him. I just said don't mind them that if it wasn't him it would be someone else who is different. I thought at least they should be nice to regular customers or treat them everyone equally !

Today they were given out leaflets about a person who is missing, they were handling them out to everyone but they didn't hand one out to my friend..this happens alot, they seem to deselect people who are black/different colours not to hand out things too. I was with him a number of times when I saw this. Those charity organistions don't ask him either , well when I was with him in town and they ask everyone else who walks by them.

On a number of occasions there were people asking others for money 'beggers' not romany gypsys but Irish people, they were stopping everyone who was walking past them and there was polish/eastern europeans among them who they asked for money because I heard them speaking in eastern kind of language but when they saw my friend they didn't ask him. On a separate occassion, there was a homeless women asking every walking past from a tea or coffee but when she saw my friend she didn't asked him and he would of got her a coffee or whatever she wanted. So yes, there is racism and not every can see that.

There definitely is racism here I noticed that when I am with my friend who is Indian I notice he is treated differently to others for example we get chips sometimes at the local chipshop we go there regularly to get chips and the staff are not friendily to him even though he is a regular. they say 'happy new year' to the other customers but not to him. I just said don't mind them that if it wasn't him it would be someone else who is different. I thought at least they should be nice to regular customers or treat them everyone equally !

Today they were given out leaflets about a person who is missing, they were handling them out to everyone but they didn't hand one out to my friend..this happens alot, they seem to deselect people who are black/different colours not to hand out things too. I was with him a number of times when I saw this. Those charity organistions don't ask him either , well when I was with him in town and they ask everyone else who walks by them.

On a number of occasions there were people asking others for money 'beggers' not romany gypsys but Irish people, they were stopping everyone who was walking past them and there was polish/eastern europeans among them who they asked for money because I heard them speaking in eastern kind of language but when they saw my friend they didn't ask him. On a separate occassion, there was a homeless women asking every walking past from a tea or coffee but when she saw my friend she didn't asked him and he would of got her a coffee or whatever she wanted. So yes, there is racism and not every can see that.

There are racists here , just like in every country....you've given three or four examples ,but that doesn't make racism endemic throughout the country.In my own take away I,m lucky if they hand my change to me...never mind smile...but the vast majority of people in this country are not racist.

SV has said that every Irish person he has met is racist to some degree,maybe he's unlucky or his perception of racism is differant from others.
    I can't figure out for the life of me what way he experiences life in Ireland if every white Irish person he experiences is racist.
    Pre war Germany for Jews, maybe..?

I posted before that my wife is of Jewish descent and also is also of mixed race heritage... looking at her, you would know she's not Caucasian...she's , "to use the words"..."dark skinned"..hard to say ..not a nice description .
    She's unusual looking to say the least.

Over 15 or so years we've been together , we've had the very odd racist remark/comment.....and most ..if not all ..I'd put it down to plain 'ol ignorance.

We've four children and we're raising them to look beyond race,colour,creed...... whatever you want to call it.

I dont think any rational person would deny that racism doesnt exist in Ireland. The point of contention is whether its so bad so that the general population is culpable for it, which I dont think is true.

A good friend of mine is a black Nigerian, although she's been in Ireland since she was 13, so is pretty much Irish at this stage.

She's studied and worked here for 13 years and is due to marry her fiance, a farmer from Meath, next year. She claims that she has rarely experienced racist remarks in all that time, and has found the Irish to be largely more tolerant and friendly than others in Europe.

But her experience is singular and anecdotal, just like those on this forum who talk of acts of bigotry on the Irish street. They don't equate to a national reality. For a better example, I'm Irish and I'm not keen on public displays of affection, but I'd never be so foolish as to conclude that most Irish people feel the same way, that just my personal feeling toward it.

• Advertisement

I dont think any rational person would deny that racism doesnt exist in Ireland. The point of contention is whether its so bad so that the general population is culpable for it, which I dont think is true.

A good friend of mine is a black Nigerian, although she's been in Ireland since she was 13, so is pretty much Irish at this stage.

She's studied and worked here for 13 years and is due to marry her fiance, a farmer from Meath, next year. She claims that she has rarely experienced racist remarks in all that time, and has found the Irish to be largely more tolerant and friendly than others in Europe.

But her experience is singular and anecdotal, just like those on this forum who talk of acts of bigotry on the Irish street. They don't equate to a national reality. For a better example, I'm Irish and I'm not keen on public displays of affection, but I'd never be so foolish as to conclude that most Irish people feel the same way, that just my personal feeling toward it.

Well he experience this on a daily basis, we are in college together. Another poster said it a few incidents but it's actually not this is what he gets probably once or twice a week. In general africans, chinese and other south east asians but Indians and other miniorities are not really accepted here who come here to either study and work, 95% of them here are highly qualified. You said that in general that your african friend said that the Irish are more friendily and tolerant that other europeans but people should'nt be tolerated, they should be accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Every one _I've_ met.

Rubbish.
    What do you consider "racist"? For instance, if you meet someone for a few minutes, say a mate of a mate, what do they do that you consider racist?
    Obviously there's racist people in ireland, but everyone you've met? Did you arrive 2 days ago and just met the taxi driver from the airport?

You said that in general that your african friend said that the Irish are more friendily and tolerant that other europeans but people should'nt be tolerated, they should be accepted.

Dont mean to be an arse, but if you get out a thesaurus you'll find that tolerance is a synonym of acceptance. They mean the same thing.

mattjack wrote: »
    There are racists here , just like in every country....you've given three or four examples ,but that doesn't make racism endemic throughout the country.In my own take away I,m lucky if they hand my change to me...never mind smile...but the vast majority of people in this country are not racist.

Well this particular chipshop where he goes regularly, does smiles and is friendily to everyone including eastern europeans and africans but for some reason they are not treating him equally even though he is a regular customer and I can see that. I don't understand why people on many occasions don't hand leaflets to him like they do to everyone else especially today I could not understand, this happens many times, they are suppose to 'educated' people working for charities and volunteering but they don't know the basics of treating everyone equally. I know Ireland the majority of people in Ireland appear not to be racist but they are be racist in subtle ways that not everyone can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well this particular chipshop where he goes regularly, does smiles and is friendily to everyone including eastern europeans and africans but for some reason they are not treating him equally even though he is a regular customer and I can see that.
    If they are normally friendly to Africans and Eastern Europeans, then they don't sound like they have a problem with other races or nationalities, just your mate. Maybe your mate is a tosser?

Dont mean to be an arse, but if you get out a thesaurus you'll find that tolerance is a synonym of acceptance. They mean the same thing.

Well whenever I hear the word 'tolerant' I associated it with something that you have to put up with, that you have to stick to, something that you have to deal with. We are talking about people here just being people, how can they associated the word tolerant with people

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If they are normally friendly to Africans and Eastern Europeans, then they don't sound like they have a problem with other races or nationalities, just your mate. Maybe your mate is a tosser?

Well I chose to have tossers as friends. No, he is a normal decent guy even trying to be nice to people who are like that to him which makes me more angry people treat different people like that.

Well whenever I hear the word 'tolerant' I associated it with something that you have to put up with, that you have to stick to, something that you have to deal with. We are talking about people here just being people, how can they associated the word tolerant with people

Tolerance is acceptance, there's not a discrepancy in the words. Tolerance in a racial context is accepting people, and their inalienable rights, regardless of race, sex, creed etc.

I think there was a valid point just made. A lot of people perceive negativity directed toward them in their own particular way, which can often lead people to see bigotry when its not really there.

If a stranger is mean or indifferent to me, I don't instantly thinks it's because Im white or male, I think it's probably because they think I'm a twat.

Well this particular chipshop where he goes regularly, does smiles and is friendily to everyone including eastern europeans and africans but for some reason they are not treating him equally even though he is a regular customer and I can see that. I don't understand why people on many occasions don't hand leaflets to him like they do to everyone else especially today I could not understand, this happens many times, they are suppose to 'educated' people working for charities and volunteering but they don't know the basics of treating everyone equally. I know Ireland the majority of people in Ireland appear not to be racist but they are be racist in subtle ways that not everyone can see.

There's something odd about your posts.Are you with your friend every hour of the day or is he relating this to you ?

I don't "not" believe you..but your "friend" experiences this every day ? Your story wanders from beggars to charities ,to people not smiling at him, etc.

Not everyone smiles at me in shops,not everyone gives me leaflets or begs of me ...I've neighbours that walk by me every day without even looking at me.

Maybe you and your "friend" are a bit too sensitive or you're seeing something
    that's not really there.

Tolerance is acceptance, there's not a discrepancy in the words. Tolerance in a racial context is accepting people, and their inalienable rights, regardless of race, sex, creed etc. I think

I think there was a valid point just made. A lot of people perceive negativity directed toward them in their own particular way, which can often lead people to see bigotry when its not really there.

If a stranger is mean or indifferent to me, I don't instantly thinks it's because Im white or male, I think it's probably because they think I'm a twat.

What right do they have to think you are a twat, they don't know you from adam. What do they know about you to decide you are a twat. Anyways Ireland is a monocultural society so white people are the majority. It's not a multi cultural society like american or uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

What right do they have to think you are a twat, they don't know you from adam.
    Everyone has the right to think whatever the hell they want to think about someone.

• Advertisement

What right do they have to think you are a twat, they don't know you from adam. What do they know about you to decide you are a twat. Anyways Ireland is a monocultural society so white people are the majority. It's not a multi cultural society like american or uk.

We live in a society underpinned by freedom of expression, if someone wants to draw conclusions on my character thats their right, their prerogative.

By the way, the whole 'Im a twat' thing was just an example.

I agree with MattJack, there does seem to be a degree of hyper-sensitivity in your posts. A strangers indifference shouldnt lead you to think they're being racist.

When my aunt was a medical student in the 70's she was refused entry on to a London bus for being Irish, now that's an act of bigotry. Not being sought out by a beggar doesnt bear thinking about.

There's something odd about your posts.Are you with your friend every hour of the day or is he relating this to you ?

I don't "not" believe you..but your "friend" experiences this every day ? Your story wanders from beggars to charities ,to people not smiling at him, etc.

Not everyone smiles at me in shops,not everyone gives me leaflets or begs of me ...I've neighbours that walk by me every day without even looking at me.

Maybe you and your "friend" are a bit too sensitive or you're seeing something
    that's not really there.

What is odd about my posts? Well my story is not wandering around, I am actually telling things that did happen at different ocassions. It not about people smiling or not, I was explaining situations that he was treated differently to others for no reason. I don't understand you you wrote friend with quotes around it? I am with my friends most days in college and many weekends and I can see that he experience racism even though it doesn't seem to bother him, it bothers me alot at times.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Everyone has the right to think whatever the hell they want to think about someone.

Well I know but the problem is with them sadly that their small minded. we know what 'thought' did 'stuck a feather in the ground and thought he'd grow a hen out of it'

What is odd about my posts? Well my story is not wandering around, I am actually telling things that did happen at different ocassions. It not about people smiling or not, I was explaining situations that he was treated differently to others for no reason. I don't understand you you wrote friend with quotes around it? I am with my friends most days in college and many weekends and I can see that he experience racism even though it doesn't seem to bother him, it bothers me alot at times.

Easy there....I'll put it to you another way ...my wife is of African descent..she has Negro features....she also has a Jewish ancestry ..her maiden is Jewish..she's very noticeable looking..

Other than ignorance , we've never experienced anything like what you described...I can't imagine what your friend is going through ,if he experiences this everyday wherever he goes.

I think what others and I are getting at is, whether there's something about your friend, besides the colour of his skin or nation of origin, that could result in him being treated in the manner you've described.

For example, a German guy in my school was often made fun of by locals, because he regularly wore a wax jacket and had shoes more suited to a man of 60 years than a 17 -year-old schoolboy. It had nothing to do with the fact he was German.

If your colleague is experiencing racism in college , there should be a way resolving that issue.

We live in a society underpinned by freedom of expression, if someone wants to draw conclusions on my character thats their right, their prerogative.

By the way, the whole 'Im a twat' thing was just an example.

I agree with MattJack, there does seem to be a degree of hyper-sensitivity in your posts. A strangers indifference shouldnt lead you to think they're being racist.

When my aunt was a medical student in the 70's she was refused entry on to a London bus for being Irish, now that's an act of bigotry. Not being sought out by a beggar doesnt bear thinking about.

Well I don't know why they singled out us Irish then because there was africans and indians since 50s in London. I think it was because of IRA terrorism and the hard history.

If your colleague is experiencing racism in college , there should be a way resolving that issue.

No, just outside at times.

I think what others and I are getting at is, whether there's something about your friend, besides the colour of his skin or nation of origin, that could result in him being treated in the manner you've described.

For example, a German guy in my school was often made fun of by locals, because he regularly wore a wax jacket and had shoes more suited to a man of 60 years than a 17 -year-old schoolboy. It had nothing to do with the fact he was German.

Well maybe I don't know what it is, he looks geeky may be that's part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 little feat

Wow, you want to walk through an African village sonny with people actually hissing at you :eek:

• Advertisement

Well I don't know why they singled out us Irish then because there was africans and indians since 50s in London. I think it was because of IRA terrorism and the hard history.

I think you've managed to answer your own question in the same statement. Either way, ''they'' were/are a minority in the UK. I've lived in London as have two of my aunts and three of my uncles, know of whom can readily identify many cases of bigotry toward them.

Wow, you want to walk through an African village sonny with people actually hissing at you :eek:

Why would people hiss at others, they are not snakes

Why would people hiss at others, they are not snakes

Where are you from ? I,ve had a quick look at some of your posts in other threads and your way words etc doesn't add up.I think and I stress think , that you are a foreign national or Irish of foreign descent, feeling sorry for yourself.
    You talk about India,Hinduism etc in other threads.
    Folks have a quick look at some of the posters comments in other threads.

Where are you from ? I,ve had a quick look at some of your posts in other threads and your way words etc doesn't add up.I think and I stress think , that you are a foreign national or Irish of foreign descent, feeling sorry for yourself.
    You talk about India,Hinduism etc in other threads.
    Folks have a quick look at some of the posters comments in other threads.

I am 100% Irish but I don't act typically Irish hence the way I express myself and my views. What does it matter where I am from though all the points made here should be valid doesn't matter where a person is from. People always always presume I am not Irish here only on boards, it doesn't happen anywhere else online.

Well I didn't know I was that interesting that others would go as far as to look at my posts. I didn't know i was that exciting. It would take something extraordinaryly amazingly interesting or out of this world for me to take the time to go through someones posts and read them...these are posts of strangers afterall which mean very little.

I am 100% Irish but I don't act typically Irish hence the way I express myself and my views. What does it matter where I am from though all the points made here should be valid doesn't matter where a person is from. People always always presume I am not Irish here only on boards, it doesn't happen anywhere else online.

Well I didn't know I was that interesting that others would go as far as to look at my posts. I didn't know i was that exciting. It would take something extraordinaryly amazingly interesting or out of this world for me to take the time to go through someones posts and read them...these are posts of strangers afterall which mean very little.

decembersun77

Adverts | Friends
    well cuz im irish myself maybe its indifference because im not like the majority of irish people like i dont go out much and i dont drink im not in to GAA its simply because those things dont interest me and I dont enjoy them. im not typically like most irish people

At the very least your posts are curious even peculiar....

i even get racism well u couldn't call it racism
    you posted it

decembersun77

Adverts | Friends
    well cuz im irish myself maybe its indifference because im not like the majority of irish people like i dont go out much and i dont drink im not in to GAA its simply because those things dont interest me and I dont enjoy them. im not typically like most irish people

At the very least your posts are curious even peculiar....

i even get racism well u couldn't call it racism
    you posted it

Well have you seen some of the stuff people post in here, if you think mine are piculiar you really should get out more. There are a variety of ridiculous, pointless, mindless and at times offensive things posted here. You are singling me out because I am myself and expressing my views. I won't apologise for being myself because I am different or my views are seen as peculiar. I won't be intimidated for expressing my views, there not insulting or offensive so why are you trying to single me out trying to intimidate me and trying to draw others to me for them to intimidate me.

Well have you seen some of the stuff people post in here, if you think mine are piculiar you really should get out more. There are a variety of ridiculous, pointless, mindless and at times offensive things posted here. You are singling me out because I am myself and expressing my views. I won't apologise for being myself because I am different or my views are seen as peculiar. I won't be intimidated for expressing my views, there not insulting or offensive so why are you trying to single me out trying to intimidate me and trying to draw others to me for them to intimidate me.

I'm not trying to intimidate anybody,nor am I singling out anybody.Your expressing yourself in a public forum that lets people see your present and past posts.

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding some of the posting in Boards ,I'm as guilty as the next man for posting daft posts.

If you think I'm singling you out feel free to report me ,I'm big enough and ugly to take it on the chin.

I'm quiet content to exchange posts with you ,but I'm not changing my opinion on anything I said.

Read a few of my posts , remember my description of my wife ,I,m the one married to the mixed race heritage girl.We're the couple that experience ignorant comments over the years about colour,appearance,where she's from,a Jewish ancestry etc...you friend gets annoyed when people say nothing to him..don't beg off him etc

Walk in my wife's shoe's then tell me to "get out more"...

best of luck MJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Thread is funny. All it says is racism is bad. Shouldn't happen. And lists off random racist incidents. It seems to live for people to pat themselves on the back for challenging racism. Each to their own I guess....

Asked what people thought should be done about random racism other than prosecuting crimes related to it and nobody is bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Jude_2010 wrote: »
    I've a funny story but I'm not sure if the culprit was being racist or just closed minded.
    Okay we were at a teenage disco and one of my mates approached this girl to ask for 'the shift' (cause that's pretty much the only respectful thing to do with a girl at one of these discos) any ways she then turned to her friend and said "should I meet him?" her fried said "i dont know its up to you" and she then said "but he's black" my mate, standing there listening to the conversation, basically said "f- you" and walked away.
    I didn't know what to think haha was she being racist here, i dont think so maybe just ignorant, yes. Because as soon as the Jason Derulo song came on she got straight to the dance floor. If she was a proper racist she would despise all things black, (music, shows, people) etc.. any ways whats your take on that ;)

Yeah, that's hilarious. She's a racist.

Do you remember Louis Theroux interviewing white supremacists in SA? The wife of one was a Lionel Richie fan but she'd never have him in the house because he's a black man :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

old hippy wrote: »
    Do you remember Louis Theroux interviewing white supremacists in SA? The wife of one was a Lionel Richie fan but she'd never have him in the house because he's a black man :rolleyes:

That's not racist, that's just being cautious. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Advertisement