Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Nodin wrote: »
    Why?

Unique geographic opportunity

because if you don't try your damndest, we'd be overrun and I am talkin influx baby..on an irish scale we're a small country; small population to boot.. lotta migrants from big continents doing the rounds

Closost thing I have to a 2nd friend is of Libyan descent anyhow. but born here. looks like pat smear. Doesn't look at all like his rotund blonde mother.. solid bloke but preposterous libido. sure that's what it's all about anyhow isn't it. there's your drive.. one sniff n he'd be gone. would always be by your side metaphorically though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LH Pathe wrote: »

because if you don't try your damndest, we'd be overrun and I am talkin influx baby..on an irish scale we're a small country; small population to boot.. lotta migrants from big continents doing the rounds

We have border controls. We are in no risk of being "overrun".

Correct. That's what I call trying our damndest

Correct. That's what I call trying our damndest

What you said was "Should just do our damndest not to let em in in the first place." which seems to be a racist catch all declaration to keep "them" (anyone of non-European ancestry) out of the country. Thats not really a call for a sane immigration policy.

If it's any consolation nodin, I only download the exotic fanjita

see that's another reason not to let em in. Cos I'd be rampant. just like my friend is with what's exotic to him; here.

But with such a small population to immigrant applicant ratio, we would be another random melting pot too fast. See how I discipline myself.. may as well tie my dick in a knot

If it's any consolation nodin, I only download the exotic fanjita

You're one of them lads that types semi-cryptic nonsense and thinks its "clever", aren't ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Closost thing I have to a 2nd friend is of Libyan descent anyhow. but born here. looks like pat smear. Doesn't look at all like his rotund blonde mother.. solid bloke but preposterous libido. sure that's what it's all about anyhow isn't it. there's your drive.. one sniff n he'd be gone. would always be by your side metaphorically though

Gibberish :confused:

You're one of them lads that types semi-cryptic nonsense and thinks its "clever", aren't ye?

just on this topic I think I'm clever. Thats only after having read yours and langier's, input you can read between the lines if you feel the need but there's nothing there; it's all laid out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Pint of water and bed for you.

Try sentences again when you wake up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Once they're here should probably just accept em as your own you can't be racist. Certainly not to those born here.. And their parents should leave any cultural baggage at home. Never know could be the next Phil Lynott, but with all these indigenous modern day minstrels anyhow seems like black culture is already native

Should just do our damndest not to let em in in the first place. Unique geographic opportunity.. I guess racists serve as a deterrent, but I wouldn't wanna be one

how could you think that you are not racist?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Goodnite don't let the racists bite.

some cultures tied to certain ethnicities though, originating from or what not... can get ta fück. Just a some eminating from here shouLd do likewise but hey; they make us unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

bastados wrote: »
    The "avoiding the black taxi driver" is widespread..it is in Drogheda town anyhow.

I'd trust them ahead of a lot of the 'locals' in Cork anyway. They go by the sat nav, not the 'short cut'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

why do people insist on calling them "foreign nationals"?
    the word is FOREIGNERS.:(
    Apparently the PC brigade around the mid 90's decided that foreigners was a derogatory term and that foreign nationals wasn't. Non national was used for a while but this too was deemed as derogatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Non national was used for a while but this too was deemed as derogatory.

No it isn't

And even the garda website uses it

mikemac1 wrote: »
    No it isn't

And even the garda website uses it
    They should update their website then. Non national=a person of no nationality.
    Maybe it should read 'non Irish national' Can't be upsetting them foreigners now!

• Advertisement

No it isn't

:rolleyes: of course it is derogatory

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Government ministers use it, RTÉ news do and as said already, the garda website has it

Maybe I'm so used to hearing it I don't see the issue

Oh no, a rolleyes :(

Government ministers use it, RTÉ news do and as said already, the garda website has it

Maybe I'm so used to hearing it I don't see the issue

Oh no, a rolleyes :(

Neither do I, but sure you know Ireland, if you comment or have an opinion on anything your accused of being racist/homophobic/anti-traveller etc etc by some do-gooder somewhere!
    It seems to be the times we live in, unfortunately!:(

http://www.integration.ie/website/omi/omiwebv6.nsf/page/AXBN-7UDLTS1724628-en/$File/Living%20Together%20in%20Longford.pdf
    the term 'non-national' is generally considered offensive as it suggests that the person does not have a nationality

http://www.nccri.ie/pdf/GovTerminology.pdf
    The term ‘non national’ should be avoided altogether as it is both inaccurate (most people have a nationality from their country of origin) and has negative connotations. ‘Foreign national’ has most recently been used in draft immigration legislation to refer only to people who are not EU citizens and so using the term to refer to all migrants to Ireland may also cause confusion. ‘Non-Irish national’ may be the least problematic.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

token101 wrote: »
    I'd trust them ahead of a lot of the 'locals' in Cork anyway. They go by the sat nav, not the 'short cut'.
    I live in Cork and there is not a hope in hell i would get into a cab in town on a night out unless i knew the driver was a local.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Show Time wrote: »
    I live in Cork and there is not a hope in hell i would get into a cab in town on a night out unless i knew the driver was a local.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 little feat

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    why?

I suppose because you have freedom of choice. I seldom use taxis but if i do I'll pick a local driver and if anyone thinks Africa is any different they're deluded. I don't imagine there are too many white taxi drivers in all of Africa anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Apparently the PC brigade around the mid 90's decided that foreigners was a derogatory term and that foreign nationals wasn't. Non national was used for a while but this too was deemed as derogatory.

There is no such thing as a PC brigade. It exists solely in the minds of right-wits and their ilk.

I always love this quote from Fintan O' Toole. I can't share it enough.

We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug.

Neither do I, but sure you know Ireland, if you comment or have an opinion on anything your accused of being racist/homophobic/anti-traveller etc etc by some do-gooder somewhere!

Odd that; I tend to find people who use the words "an opinion" and "do-gooder" in the same sentence to generally be of questionable character, at the very least! :D

old hippy wrote: »
    Odd that; I tend to find people who use the words "an opinion" and "do-gooder" in the same sentence to generally be of questionable character, at the very least! :D
    Yes 'old hippy', your entitled to your opinion but my opinion is 'questionable' like my character?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah, I'm fucking sick of all these **** going round, doing good. What a bunch of tosspots.

:rolleyes:

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fucking sick of all these **** going round, doing good. What a bunch of tosspots.

Funny guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

El Weirdo wrote: »

no I think the title do gooder belongs to people who thinkthey are doing good but really just annoying everyone

Yes 'old hippy', your entitled to your opinion but my opinion is 'questionable' like my character?:confused:

It certainly comes across as questionable. What offends you the most, your perceived lack of freedom of speech or newcomers to our island?

old hippy wrote: »
    It certainly comes across as questionable. What offends you the most, your perceived lack of freedom of speech or newcomers to our island?
    You may be surprised to hear this but I would welcome anyone to these shores as long as they're prepared to work hard and play by the rules of this country.
    What I, and believe it or not, a lot of people object to is people who come here specifically to avail of our over generous welfare system and when there is any debate about this find themselves being branded as racists.

• Advertisement

.......... people who come here specifically to avail of our over generous welfare system and when there is any debate about this find themselves being branded as racists.

How do people "avail of our over generous welfare system"?

How do people "avail of our over generous welfare system"?
    I'd love to know that myself.

I'd love to know that myself.

...if you don't know anything about it, why do you presume it's happening?

Who do you think these people are? Where are they supposed to be from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    why?
    I want a cab driver who knows the route and does not need a sat nav speaks the same language as me and won't try and rob me blind with add on fares.

If that makes me a racist in some peoples eyes i have no problem with that.

...if you don't know anything about it, why do you presume it's happening?

Who do you think these people are? Where are they supposed to be from?
    I mean I'd love to know how to work the system like some of our foreign national friends do?
    I was self employed for 15 years up until 2009. I paid massive taxes every year and was a registered employer for a lot of that time.
    When the recession took hold I had no choice but to try and avail of our welfare system but was met with a resounding "no chance".
    Great system isn't it when someone can waltz into Ireland and having never contributed a cent to this economy can claim every benefit available to them whilst people like me who paid our way are entitled to nothing.
    If by pointing this out makes me a racist, well so be it!

Great system isn't it when someone can waltz into Ireland and having never contributed a cent to this economy can claim every benefit available to them whilst people like me who paid our way are entitled to nothing.

For one thing, the treatment of the self employed by the state is the states fault, is long established, and has sweet fuck all to do with "foreign national friends". Therefore your anger is aimed at the wrong target.

Secondly, you cannot "waltz into ireland and having never contributed a cent to this economy can claim every benefit available ".

Most rules governing claims from foriegn nationals are listed here and on linked pages
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html

For one thing, the treatment of the self employed by the state is the states fault, is long established, and has sweet fuck all to do with "foreign national friends". Therefore your anger is aimed at the wrong target.

Secondly, you cannot "waltz into ireland and having never contributed a cent to this economy can claim every benefit available ".

Most rules governing claims from foriegn nationals are listed here and on linked pages
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_assistance_payments/residency_requirements_for_social_assistance_in_ireland.html
    So it's not a 'waltz', but it can still be done.
    BTW, I employed people from at least 6 different countries, of all colours and creeds and never had a problem with anyone, so if anyone one here wants to think of me as racist well their sadly mistaken.

So it's not a 'waltz', but it can still be done.

You mean people can come, live here, contribute to the system and, in time of need, legally claim off the system? Yes. That's how "western" countries work, generally speaking.

I have to confess that I'm not sure what exactly it is you're objecting to, at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

I have to agree that violence towards any taxi driver is not on and quite sad tbh.

However, on numerous occasions I have used black taxis and more often than not they don't know where they are going and use a sat nav! Sometimes While on the phone speaking with friends in their native Tongue.
    They also drive very erratically... desperate for your custom. Ive seen many overtake other taxis and speed towards u dangerously. Im talking about Dublin city.
    I've also had black taxi men trying to rip me off by taking my home the long route and then getting aggressive when I confront them about it. Bear in mind I'm a young female travelling alone most of the time.

I hate to tar all of them with the same brush but experiencing that kind of service 10+ times in Dublin means I feel safer getting into a White taxi as there is less chance of experiencing what I've described above!
    That's how I feel.

• Advertisement

You mean people can come, live here, contribute to the system and, in time of need, legally claim off the system? Yes. That's how "western" countries work, generally speaking.

I have to confess that I'm not sure what exactly it is you're objecting to, at this point.

Disingenuous; pretending that one knows less about a subject than one really does.
    See ya.

Disingenuous; pretending that one knows less about a subject than one really does.
    See ya.

You've been shown that you can't arrive here and claim. Yet you still seem to harbour some resentment. As your initial point has been shown to be untrue, its far from clear what you're still annoyed about.

I mean I'd love to know how to work the system like some of our foreign national friends do?
    I was self employed for 15 years up until 2009. I paid massive taxes every year and was a registered employer for a lot of that time.
    When the recession took hold I had no choice but to try and avail of our welfare system but was met with a resounding "no chance".

You've never heard of the habitual residency condition?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Unfortunately self-employed PRSI does not cover Unemployment Benefit, been that way for years, you can claim Unemployment Assistance but you'd need to satisfy the means test.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You've never heard of the habitual residency condition?
    I have ok, nowhere does it say that one has had to contribute to a country in order to receive benefits from that country.

I have ok, nowhere does it say that one has had to contribute to a country in order to receive benefits from that country.

you really don't know what you're talking about

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Didn't look that hard then.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html

you really don't know what you're talking about
    I'm not as well versed on the ins and outs of the benefit system as you and nodin seem to be if that's what you mean so I"ll leave the two of you to your little love-in.
    None so blind as those that cannot / will not see.:rolleyes:

I'm not as well versed on the ins and outs of the benefit system as you and nodin seem to be if that's what you mean so I"ll leave the two of you to your little love-in.
    None so blind as those that cannot / will not see.

"cannot/ will not see" what, exactly? Going on your rather vague remarks here, I can only conclude you have a problem with "foriegners", regardless of what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 lemme

"cannot/ will not see" what, exactly? Going on your rather vague remarks here, I can only conclude you have a problem with "foriegners", regardless of what they do.

As much as I abhor racists, I equally detest people who jump to defense of non irish nationals regardless of what they do. Both sides are as bad as each other.

Care to tell why you thanked this post?

lemme wrote: »
    As much as I abhor racists, I equally detest people who jump to defense of non irish nationals regardless of what they do. Both sides are as bad as each other.?

Nothing to do with me.....
    lemme wrote: »
    Care to tell why you thanked this post?

...because if you looked through his post history, its fairly clear what he's at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement